What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Top 101 Movies of the 80s (1 Viewer)

65, 66, 67:

A FISH CALLED WANDA [tubi, kanopy]
RETURN OF THE JEDI [disney + ]
PLANES, TRAINS, AND AUTOMOBILES

Our #36 picks and Planes was on both of ours at #65 and #72. When I was doing this and going through rewatches, Jedi was one that I was surprised kept creeping up the list. I remember being so stoked to see this in the theater and had a blast despite the Emperor scaring me.

69, 70, 71:

POLYESTER
AFTER HOURS [hbo max]
PEE WEE'S BIG ADVENTURE [hbomax]

Our #40 picks, and Pee Wee was on both our lists. @Ilov80s - was that your jump scare guess? On our lists Pee Wee was #80 and #61. After Hours is one that grows on me more and more each watch. That was the comedy by a director I struggle with clue.
Polyster is the right balance of John Waters and some mainstream approach for me. It's my favorite of his. Disgusting but not totally revolting. Still extremely tacky.
I think of Hairspray (Divine, not Travolta) as being his most mainstream... also fun- but far less/none of the Waters gross-out. Serial Mom was hilarious- kathleen turner had a lot of fun with that one, even if the movie is kinda slight.

I am just realizing almost every movie that has come from my list during this stretch has been a comedy. Didn't plan that or realize it when creating it.

65, 66, 67:

Our #36 picks and Planes was on both of ours at #65 and #72. When I was doing this and going through rewatches, Jedi was one that I was surprised kept creeping up the list. I remember being so stoked to see this in the theater and had a blast despite the Emperor scaring me.
I rewatched Wanda (or at least, a bunch of it) recently... didn't really hold up as well for me.

Jedi... ewoks... yuck. but still a ton of fun to see, especially live in the theaters when it came out. oh! they had a special screening of it before it opened- for some local charity in Marin County where I grew up and where Lucas Ranch and Industrial Light and Magic are/were. I think my dad had some connection so we got tickets... I kept them and the movie catalogue/flyer thing in comic-book mylar wrap htat I just found. wonder if they're worth anything??

Reactions: JAA
Horscht!!! KiKi!!! HORSCHT!!!

"After Hours" had such brilliant supporting roles ... Rosanna Arquette & Catherine O'Hara & Teri Garr all knocked it way out the park.

not as harrowing as Scorsese's other odes to the City's mean(er) streets, but it were to the hapless Dunne, i suppose.

flick also set the template for another, which came right on it's heels, and was one the 5 or so i hope get a drop in here.

I think of Hairspray (Divine, not Travolta) as being his most mainstream... also fun- but far less/none of the Waters gross-out. Serial Mom was hilarious- kathleen turner had a lot of fun with that one, even if the movie is kinda slight.
Totally. Polyster is the right midpoint for me between Hairspray and his 70s Female Trouble era movies. Also, not movies I would recommend to anyone so maybe not the best fit for a list like this. Still, I find it hilariously bizarre.

OK, tomorrow is going to be funnier than I thought. We only have ONE movie of the next 11 in common. 6 are 80s and 4 are mine. No clues besides there are at least 3 and maybe 5 that are going to piss some people off that they won't be in the top 30 or higher. :popcorn: @Ilov80s - looks like I am still going to take more heat. ;)

Horscht!!! KiKi!!! HORSCHT!!!

"After Hours" had such brilliant supporting roles ... Rosanna Arquette & Catherine O'Hara & Teri Garr all knocked it way out the park.

not as harrowing as Scorsese's other odes to the City's mean(er) streets, but it were to the hapless Dunne, i suppose.

flick also set the template for another, which came right on it's heels, and was one the 5 or so i hope get a drop in here.
Rupert... is that you?

I thought the supporting cast surpassed Dunne, who I never really loved in this.

OK, tomorrow is going to be funnier than I thought. We only have ONE movie of the next 11 in common. 6 are 80s and 4 are mine. No clues besides there are at least 3 and maybe 5 that are going to piss some people off that they won't be in the top 30 or higher. :popcorn: @Ilov80s - looks like I am still going to take more heat. ;)
I look forward to the morning crew tomorrow and their comments on this round.

• Sad
78/79:

THE FLY
TRADING PLACES

The Fly was my #44 pick, and Trading Places we both had on the list (#66 and #79). Trading Places was the holiday hint, and The Fly was my dumb clue about having a bad sequel starring an actor who got fired from another movie on the list . The Fly holds up incredibly well, and is still so damn disgusting and even touching at the end.
Love both of these. I too watched Trading Places a bunch of times. Few things in the '80s were better than peak Eddie Murphy, and this film has that.

But the scene I quote the most doesn't even have him.

Pawnbroker: Burnt my fingers, man.
Louis: I beg your pardon?
Pawnbroker: Man, that watch is so hot, it's smokin'.
Louis: Hot? Do you mean to imply stolen?
Pawnbroker: I'll give you 50 bucks for it.
Louis: Fifty bucks? No, no, no. This is a Rouchefoucauld. The thinnest water-resistant watch in the world. Singularly unique, sculptured in design, hand-crafted in Switzerland, and water resistant to three atmospheres. This is the sports watch of the '80s. Six thousand, nine hundred and fifty five dollars retail!
Pawnbroker: You got a receipt?
Louis: Look, it tells time simultaneously in Monte Carlo, Beverly Hills, London, Paris, Rome, and Gstaad.
Pawnbroker: In Philadelphia, it's worth 50 bucks.
Louis: Just give me the money. [looking in display case] How much for the gun?
And of course:

“And then she stepped on the ball”

I have so many lines I constantly quote from this gem.

I actually have this as a top 3 comedy of all time on my Todem list. Just a gem of a movie that could never be made in today’s world.

AFTER HOURS [hbo max]
PEE WEE'S BIG ADVENTURE [hbomax]

OK, I almost mentioned After Hours when I talked about Brazil but realized I shouldn't spotlight. I LOVED After Hours, despite being "too young" for it as I feel I was for "Brazil." And when a friend found out how much I loved it, he said I should watch Brazil. So my expectations were really high on that basis, and as previously mentioned it missed the mark for me entirely.

Anyway, love the After Hours pick. I'd have it even higher.

And Pee Wee's is an all-time classic.

65, 66, 67:

I rewatched Wanda (or at least, a bunch of it) recently... didn't really hold up as well for me.

Jedi... ewoks... yuck. but still a ton of fun to see, especially live in the theaters when it came out. oh! they had a special screening of it before it opened- for some local charity in Marin County where I grew up and where Lucas Ranch and Industrial Light and Magic are/were. I think my dad had some connection so we got tickets... I kept them and the movie catalogue/flyer thing in comic-book mylar wrap htat I just found. wonder if they're worth anything??

I was thinking the same, that Wanda really didn't hold up. Jedi? Fine I guess. The star of this list to me is Planes, etc.

THOSE AREN'T PILLOWS!

65, 66, 67:

I was thinking the same, that Wanda really didn't hold up. Jedi? Fine I guess. The star of this list to me is Planes, etc.

THOSE AREN'T PILLOWS!
DISAPPOINTED!

OK, let's rip this first Band-Aid off for y'all since it's the 2nd one on deck for the day I will just post those two and let it simmer for a bit. ;)

64: SEX, LIES, AND VIDEOTAPE

My #35 pick. Soderbergh's debut that I have watched a couple time in the last year after not seeing it since probably college. My love for sleazy Spader probably didn't hurt the rating.
Big Spader fan. This film seemed to mark his transition from high school a-hole to serious actor.

Imagine what a sequel would have to be: Sex, Lies and Streaming Services?

I can't keep up with the speed of this thread, but quick thoughts are that A Fish Called Wanda is waaaaaaaaaaaay too low, and The Great Outdoors, which hasn't aged well, should have been left in the dumpster out back.

#63: RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK [parmount+ ]

@Ilov80s ' #34 pick. I will just duck and let him talk about it. :lol:
This is, AT THE VERY LEAST, top 10.

So even with the worst case scenario math of (100+55)/2 = 55 it's obvious...neither of you know that you're doing. :hot:
When I typed that I thought 80s would take crap for the low ranking, but because I am his partner for this he was the one who at least had it in the top 100.

So even with the worst case scenario math of (100+55)/2 = 55 it's obvious...neither of you know that you're doing. :hot:
No 'objective' criteria was given, other than personal preference, making it entirely subjective. Therefore, I'm just enjoying the ride and will just share how some of these movies hit me.

When I typed that I thought 80s would take crap for the low ranking, but because I am his partner for this he was the one who at least had it in the top 100.
I want to like you. Really, I do.

No 'objective' criteria was given, other than personal preference, making it entirely subjective. Therefore, I'm just enjoying the ride and will just share how some of these movies hit me.
Absolutely and we will have fun ripping them when we see a duck fart and praise them for recognizing some brilliance.

All good!!

I can't keep up with the speed of this thread, but quick thoughts are that A Fish Called Wanda is waaaaaaaaaaaay too low, and The Great Outdoors, which hasn't aged well, should have been left in the dumpster out back.
The first post is mostly up to date

I really like Raiders (obviously far more than KP). It’s a fun movie. It’s a little cheesy but that’s what they are going for. The score is great. Same with the Star Wars movies, I just don’t like it as much I did 25 years ago. Every time I watch it, it slips a little more for me. I would say I’n looking for more substance among my best of the best but that might just be rationalizing.

• Sad

This is all we are asking, if I can speak for 80s. Mostly I just interested in the why or maybe I missed something when I diverge a lot from other people's tastes and rankings.

I really like Raiders (obviously far more than KP). It’s a fun movie. It’s a little cheesy but that’s what they are going for. The score is great. Same with the Star Wars movies, I just don’t like it as much I did 25 years ago. Every time I watch it, it slips a little more for me. I would say I’n looking for more substance among my best of the best but that might just be rationalizing.
For me I think it was more that I was waaaay into space and astronomy, so I never wanted to watch Raiders as a kid and just wanted Star Wars stuff. It had to be when I was in my 30s or later when I finally sat down and watched it from start to finish.

that is all completely true.

especially the part where you call them idiots for having Raiders outside the top 20.

I'm realizing... I've never been a huge John Candy fan. I like him, so I'm not saying I think he isn't funny- but his pantheon of movies that people seem to love just never hit that sweet spot for me.

I'm realizing... I've never been a huge John Candy fan. I like him, so I'm not saying I think he isn't funny- but his pantheon of movies that people seem to love just never hit that sweet spot for me.

agreed on that take, yes.

excellent on SCTV, and fantastic in PTaA ... but not so much in the rest of the projects he were involved with.

There's an 80's movie he was in where he played against type and I thought it was one of his best performances. Won't spotlight it unless it's mentioned.

Users who are viewing this thread