What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Trouble getting pregnant? (1 Viewer)

Wife had two 5-day embryos (one frozen, one fresh) transferred a few weeks ago. Last week we went for the blood test, which came back positive (first time ever for a positive test). She had 2 subsequent blood tests, each of which showed increasing "beta" levels, which is a good sign.This morning, we went for an ultrasound. They found 2 "yolk sacs", which is awesome news. They seem to have implanted well and are growing. So, it looks like my wife is officially pregnant. It's hard for me to say, but somehow it's easier to type it to a bunch of strangers.Next step is another ultrasound in like 10 days to see the progress. We're obviously excited, nervous, anxious, and yet still cautious because we know how crushing negative results can be. But, today we celebrate a victory and tomorrow we hope for the best.Thanks for all the support.
two words: KICK ###

Wife had two 5-day embryos (one frozen, one fresh) transferred a few weeks ago. Last week we went for the blood test, which came back positive (first time ever for a positive test). She had 2 subsequent blood tests, each of which showed increasing "beta" levels, which is a good sign.This morning, we went for an ultrasound. They found 2 "yolk sacs", which is awesome news. They seem to have implanted well and are growing. So, it looks like my wife is officially pregnant. It's hard for me to say, but somehow it's easier to type it to a bunch of strangers.Next step is another ultrasound in like 10 days to see the progress. We're obviously excited, nervous, anxious, and yet still cautious because we know how crushing negative results can be. But, today we celebrate a victory and tomorrow we hope for the best.Thanks for all the support.
Congrats!! Good luck moving forward! :thumbup:
:goodposting:

We went through six or so IUIs before getting to IVF with none of it being covered. Luckily both our fresh IVFs worked and we have two wonderful boys. I also had the big snip last month (even though we had both male and female issues) to ensure that we didn't get any surprises now. I think we've managed to pay off about 80 percent of what we spent making the boys.

It's heartbreaking to read the stories of the folks going through trouble now. I remember those days in the past with the failed efforts and everyone around us seeming to get pregnant without a problem. Thoughts and prayers to all of you. I wish there way some way I could do more.
My friends who have IVF twins both had fertility issues as well, but she just got pregnant again. They assumed it couldn't happen, so definitely something to keep in mind for people.
Had a great time at this this past weekendWife and I went through IVF, giving us the most beautiful set of identical girls.....almost 2 now.

She wanted to try for a boy(I figured it took us 4 years the first time, I'll have plenty of time).......Well a month later she was pregnant, and now we're expecting another girl(pretty sure it's a Karma thing) this January.

I've talked to a couple guys who didn't want to get themselves checked out when the pregnancy wasn't happening.
gb of mine and his wife were having trouble getting pregnant.. went a couple years with the natural method.. no dice. wife finally decided they were going to go the doctor assisted method. she got tested, everything clean. she asked him to get tested, he went off the deep end. for about 9 months he btched to me regularly about how it wasn't him and there was no way he was getting tested. caused a lot of tension in their marriage. he was adamant that the doctors got his wife's tests wrong. guy finally caved and found that he was producing at something like 1-2% of "normal" levels. oof

Will be going to do IVF again at the end of the year. Think we will choose the two cycle plan. You get a discount that way. Total cost $31,000. And I would pay double that if you could guarantee me it would work.

Congrats!! Good luck moving forward! :thumbup:
:goodposting:u
Congratulations I know how much it must mean to you.

Wishing you guys the best.

I've talked to a couple guys who didn't want to get themselves checked out when the pregnancy wasn't happening.
gb of mine and his wife were having trouble getting pregnant.. went a couple years with the natural method.. no dice. wife finally decided they were going to go the doctor assisted method. she got tested, everything clean. she asked him to get tested, he went off the deep end. for about 9 months he btched to me regularly about how it wasn't him and there was no way he was getting tested. caused a lot of tension in their marriage. he was adamant that the doctors got his wife's tests wrong. guy finally caved and found that he was producing at something like 1-2% of "normal" levels. oof
:loco:I think I "get" it, but I just don't ####### get it. The guys I knew- was kind of a macho, any sign of "weakness" is not acceptable thing, so instead just wasted time and created tension. The lack of getting checked by one literally ruined his marriage.

My wife and I are starting our first cycle in a few weeks. Most of the problems are on my end (my guys are more Nathalie Wood than Michael Phelps). We'll see how crazy this ordeal makes my wife. We don't have a lot of shots (we're both 40), and I'm kind of at peace either way. I'm not sure about my wife though. And she hasn't been having the best year already.
Fwiw, I had right around 0% morphology with my boys, albeit good count. Iirc the official term was "monster headed". That would explain my monster headed children both born from IUI and in my young 40s.GL!
How're your kids doing, Flops? My guys are slowly, slowly starting to get along to the point where we can actually leave them alone in a room together for 5 minutes at a time without them trying to kill each other. It has been a long slow slog.
The 4 years difference is interesting. THe older one was old enough to process things in a more level-headed way than our friends with two year olds, which was helpful going into the second one's arrival. But for the most part he's not been that inclusive of the baby. He has moments where he's genuinely having fun with her... but they're moments. The rest of the time he's just anticipating or #####ing about her getting into his stuff or space. It doesn't help that we live in NYC and have, for the rest of the world, a tiny apartment (ok-sized by NYC standards).eta: thanks for asking. So do you guys do the Terrordome thing often... just to see who makes it out? What's the age difference again?

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife and I are starting our first cycle in a few weeks. Most of the problems are on my end (my guys are more Nathalie Wood than Michael Phelps). We'll see how crazy this ordeal makes my wife. We don't have a lot of shots (we're both 40), and I'm kind of at peace either way. I'm not sure about my wife though. And she hasn't been having the best year already.
Wishing you and Z the best, but if you guys both end up with little dudes our trivia team is ####ed.

CONGRATULATIONS Z! That's so awesome. I will never forget the unique sense of sheer happiness and complete anxiety that comes with where you guys are right now.

Thanks Bent. Did you have twins?

Fatguy, if that happens, all you have to do is wait like 20 years for them to acquire some trivial knowledge.

Good luck Scoob and Z and others. For what its worth, we did IVF and had a daughter when I was 45 and my wife 43, and I pretty much lead a party lifestyle through my 20s and 30s so am not exactly a pillar of health. Our daughter is now 18 months old. Our issue was my sperm shape, although we do have a seven year old son conceived by the more conventional process.Good luck to all in here - what a strange thing this is. Whenever I look at this thread, I'm always reminded of the opening scene of Idiocracy.

Thanks Bent. Did you have twins? Fatguy, if that happens, all you have to do is wait like 20 years for them to acquire some trivial knowledge.
No. We have 3 year old and 1 year old boys from two separate IVF cycles.With the 3 year old, both embryos initially took, but the second one stopped growing very, very early. We were down to one by the two-week point.

Honestly, I think stress has little to do with it. I very much understand the strain aspect though, as I think everyone in this thread can attest.

While it has put strain on us in various ways, and I know that my marriage is strong because the feeling of shared sacrifice and shared pain strengthens the bond of love. We support each other through the rough times, and don't take the anger and disappointment out on each other.

Congrats Z! I remember the flood of emotions when the wife and I looked at the first ultrasound and saw the two little dots on the screen. The doctor could only detect one heartbeat, and said that the 2nd one maybe had a 50% chance of making it. Now looking at our little girl I could never imagine what we would be feeling if she didn't make it. Twins are pretty awesome really, and not nearly as difficult as you're likely thinking. Hope everything continues to look up!

Congrats Z! I remember the flood of emotions when the wife and I looked at the first ultrasound and saw the two little dots on the screen. The doctor could only detect one heartbeat, and said that the 2nd one maybe had a 50% chance of making it. Now looking at our little girl I could never imagine what we would be feeling if she didn't make it. Twins are pretty awesome really, and not nearly as difficult as you're likely thinking. Hope everything continues to look up!
Thanks for the kind words. We will welcome and celebrate 2 if that's the case but right now we're just hoping that at least one sticks around and thrives.

Will be going to do IVF again at the end of the year. Think we will choose the two cycle plan. You get a discount that way. Total cost $31,000. And I would pay double that if you could guarantee me it would work.
Where do you live? I know you have your doctors and all that good stuff, but if you're near the NC/SC area, you should check out REACH. That's what we used and they have two programs or ala cart. With the programs, you are giving most of your money back if it doesn't work. It's not a guarantee but it's the closest I've seen and they were awesome with us. They have everything from the doctors to psychologists for you to talk to if you need them.

That's a load of crap! ;)

'The Z Machine said:
'Dickies said:
Thanks for the kind words. We will welcome and celebrate 2 if that's the case but right now we're just hoping that at least one sticks around and thrives.
Congratulations Z. Wife sends her well wishes too. We've got a 21 month old girl and we're expecting a boy in April. Fatherhood is fantastic (most of the time).

'The Commish said:
Where do you live? I know you have your doctors and all that good stuff, but if you're near the NC/SC area, you should check out REACH. That's what we used and they have two programs or ala cart. With the programs, you are giving most of your money back if it doesn't work. It's not a guarantee but it's the closest I've seen and they were awesome with us. They have everything from the doctors to psychologists for you to talk to if you need them.
We live in Nor Cal. If anyone has suggestions in the area I would love to hear them.

'The Z Machine said:
'Dickies said:
Congratulations Z. Wife sends her well wishes too. We've got a 21 month old girl and we're expecting a boy in April. Fatherhood is fantastic (most of the time).
Thanks dude. Congrats to you too. I hope your wife has adjusted well to living and parenting in the US.

Update: Wife is 7 weeks along. She's had 2 ultrasounds and both showed 2 little heart beats. Everything seems to be on track.

Good luck to everyone else out there.

Congrats, Z. Awesome news.

Sounds like a few of us have twins... in case it ends up being that way for you too and you have questions. IIRC, a year or two ago Wrigley started a thread on having twin babies... there might be some good info there for you (once you get further along with things).

Good luck with everything!

We're 0 for 2 on Clomid/IUI and currently on cycle 3. I wish before we went the infertility route I would've been warned I'd go from having sex at a minimum of every other night to 1 time in the past 3 months.

Fwiw, I had right around 0% morphology with my boys, albeit good count. Iirc the official term was "monster headed". That would explain my monster headed children both born from IUI and in my young 40s.GL!
How're your kids doing, Flops? My guys are slowly, slowly starting to get along to the point where we can actually leave them alone in a room together for 5 minutes at a time without them trying to kill each other. It has been a long slow slog.
The 4 years difference is interesting. THe older one was old enough to process things in a more level-headed way than our friends with two year olds, which was helpful going into the second one's arrival. But for the most part he's not been that inclusive of the baby. He has moments where he's genuinely having fun with her... but they're moments. The rest of the time he's just anticipating or #####ing about her getting into his stuff or space. It doesn't help that we live in NYC and have, for the rest of the world, a tiny apartment (ok-sized by NYC standards).eta: thanks for asking. So do you guys do the Terrordome thing often... just to see who makes it out? What's the age difference again?
My boys are 5.5 and 2.75 now. We usually try to leave them together doing things they both enjoy (a movie mostly) and see how long it takes for one or both to end up crying. They are getting close to the point where they can play together, but not there yet - the older one still gets too frustrated that the little guy doesn't listen or play the way he wants to - so it always ends the same way. But there are moments where their engagement is genuinely sweet and you can kind of see the light at the end of the tunnel.The older one has had a long, hard time coming to grips with the fact that he has a brother. He still tells us regularly that we shouldn't have had him and we should give him away. It's getting less frequent, though, which I guess is a step in the right direction.

We're 0 for 2 on Clomid/IUI and currently on cycle 3. I wish before we went the infertility route I would've been warned I'd go from having sex at a minimum of every other night to 1 time in the past 3 months.
Have you guys set a limit for how many IUIs you'll do before moving on to something else? I'm at a point where I don't remember what it was, but I know we had a limit and got to the last try when Terror Child #2 happened.

My boys are 5.5 and 2.75 now. We usually try to leave them together doing things they both enjoy (a movie mostly) and see how long it takes for one or both to end up crying. They are getting close to the point where they can play together, but not there yet - the older one still gets too frustrated that the little guy doesn't listen or play the way he wants to - so it always ends the same way. But there are moments where their engagement is genuinely sweet and you can kind of see the light at the end of the tunnel.The older one has had a long, hard time coming to grips with the fact that he has a brother. He still tells us regularly that we shouldn't have had him and we should give him away. It's getting less frequent, though, which I guess is a step in the right direction.
Since I wrote my post above, our son has started to do a lot more sweet little things with his sister: pick her up, kiss her on the head, allow her to participate during his and my rough-house sessions. He had a buddy over the other day and while they were rough-housing they knocked his little sister over (she's still not walking, so getting knocked over is a little bit bigger deal than normal). Floppo Jr was soooo concerned about her well-being: picked her up, hugged her, kissed her, said "it's ok, it's ok" over and over to her. I got a little weepy, I'll admit. And then I smacked him for being a ####### and knocking her over (kidding).

Have you guys set a limit for how many IUIs you'll do before moving on to something else? I'm at a point where I don't remember what it was, but I know we had a limit and got to the last try when Terror Child #2 happened.
Our RE showed us research that says after the 3rd failed Clomid cycle the chances of pregnancy decrease by quite a bit. So this is our last try of Clomid...if it's no go this time we're gonna reevaluate. I think next step is injectables. Was anyone successful on the injectable drugs after failing on Clomid?

Well, the long road finally came to an end.

Had our little girl last night and she's doing great.

Thanks again for all the well wishes in here and best of luck to those of you still trying and getting some advice/comfort from here.

Well, the long road finally came to an end. Had our little girl last night and she's doing great. Thanks again for all the well wishes in here and best of luck to those of you still trying and getting some advice/comfort from here.
Congratulations, that's fantastic news. Enjoy parenthood!

Users who are viewing this thread