What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tyjae Spears has Fantasy value in rbbc too (1 Viewer)

He looked good.
I like that there's lots of talk how there are plays for him, that prior GM failed to add third down backs well but tried every year, and that Vrabel once loved Dion Lewis.
He's not a scat back!
I'm just saying there has always been a possible secondary role in TEN that they could never fill. For now, it's interesting that he's got the hands and fluid feels to his game that he can do that while he hides time behind Henry.

The Titans have whiffed on a ton of drafted players and watched a ton of young talent walk away. There's a huge attachment to Henry. No one wants to see him go and a lot of fans have been vocal about it since the new GM said he was available then retracted that. I expect he retires a Titan. I haven't seen his game truly slow down which we've discussed in the Henry thread a few times so please don't rediscuss here.
Old RBs fall off a cliff and don't usually get the chance to slowly wind down their careers. I think Henry does. When that day comes, he'd be a heckuva short yardage goal line back so he can probably do that a couple years.

Tyjae looks like a very good runner. Looks like he can do it all and that all the positive camp reports were sincere.

He's a draft n trade for me. I'm not "waiting for the day" in FF. I've done that many times and it's usually a fools errand.

I like him late in redrafts. He probably gets a few catches each week and is a fine handcuff.

I think he is part of the bad OL solution. He's gotten more slot work than I expected and with the screens, I'm just thinking we could see shifts to set him up a few times a game too. Maybe against a top D? Maybe he turns into a Jericho McKinnon FF day then?

Many probably think Spears at 2.2 was a reach but I will invest in talent and hope the injury situation holds off for at least 3-4 years. The dude seems to be the truth!
I took him at 2.3.
RBs are not valued might as well.
I don't think he's a first rounder unless it's late first and your gut says so.
The knee, the dominant starter who is a literal beast in training each off-season...you have to draft him as a scat back and hope/figure he becomes a lead back someday.
RBs being a dime a dozen doesn't help this dude either. You can't guarantee a thing about any RB these days so any one that needs to sit n wait is questionable.

Tyjae Spears rushed seven times for 57 yards and one touchdown in Saturday’s preseason game against the Vikings.

Spears’ touchdown came on a 33-yard burst up the middle, which saw him hurdle a defender on his way to the end zone. The rookie third-round pick drew the start on Saturday with the starters sidelined and turned in a solid first half of football. Playing in the same backfield as Derrick Henry hasn’t proved beneficial for Titans’ backup running backs at this point, but it’s possible Spear’s explosiveness and receiving upside earns him legitimate snaps at some point. He’s an interesting late-round pick in PPR leagues and would have strong upside if Henry ever missed time. Spears has now rushed 13 times for 89 yards and one touchdown in two preseason games and is averaging a solid 6.8 YPC.

GM again mentioned Tyjae as a route runner.

I don't expect much but this has been a sneaky common topic so I'm gonna figure a few snaps at WR each week til injured WRa return

He reminds me of Ahmad Bradshaw on those Giants team with Jacobs. He's different in style and I don't mean comparatively. It's just that Jacobs and Ward wore down a D and they were too darn tired to chase Bradshaw. I can not imagine a D wanting to see Spears after dealing with big ol Henry. Maybe he runs for thirty and Henry comes in and oh geesh now stop the big back? They're going to be a real problem for defenses. It looks like a great combo

He reminds me of Ahmad Bradshaw on those Giants team with Jacobs. He's different in style and I don't mean comparatively. It's just that Jacobs and Ward wore down a D and they were too darn tired to chase Bradshaw. I can not imagine a D wanting to see Spears after dealing with big ol Henry. Maybe he runs for thirty and Henry comes in and oh geesh now stop the big back? They're going to be a real problem for defenses. It looks like a great combo
That's a great comparison.

Do you think Spears cuts into Henry's massive workload right out of the gate?

Probably but I doubt it's noticable unless you're counting carries.
Like Henry runs 35 times for 120 yards but now 28 for 120 yards. Henry probably won't increase a ton but he's going to benefit too from Spears making a D chase his speed.

All in all no I don't think it's going to impact him

Like Henry runs 35 times for 120 yards but now 28 for 120 yards. Henry probably won't increase a ton but he's going to benefit too from Spears making a D chase his speed.

A better question would've been, do you think Spears has standalone flex value in PPR leagues out of the gate?

A better question would've been, do you think Spears has standalone flex value in PPR leagues out of the gate?
Yeah definitely but I wouldn't do it.
Two WRs hurt. Gotta do something to stop the D from pinning their ears back and only playing the C of the field. Plus doesn't everyone want to see how he'd do?
Still....I'd be in see first mode

How do we think Tyjae Spears is going to be used early on? Just to spell Henry every now and than? 3rd down usage?

He looks very good, and might be one of the best #2 backs in the league, and I don't think Henry has ever had anyone that good behind him.

How do we think Tyjae Spears is going to be used early on? Just to spell Henry every now and than? 3rd down usage?

He looks very good, and might be one of the best #2 backs in the league, and I don't think Henry has ever had anyone that good behind him.

He should play a lot week one since no team really knows what the other is doing and Henry maybe needs more breathers than normal.
Titans (since Arthur) like to shift backs and practically decide before the snap of they're getting a pass. Henry shifted from RB to WR many times last year. I expect Tyjae to do the same. Who on D follows him if anyone? There will be a high percentage of times he doesn't get it. They wanted to see zone or man for Nuk. They wanted to move someone for Henry. All sorts of not him possibilities. I expect that to frustrate FF people.

I'd guess a pass or two as a WR thrown his way.
As a back 4 for 30 and 8 carries for 50 yards.
The Titans have always been one to go to a well too often so he probably turns the speed on for a nice gain and then has some meh runs to follow.

The Saints have a very good pass defense- one of the best. They will run Henry a ton and shift everyone a ton to see if it offers anything useful.

Henry/Lewan was arguably the best corner run in NFL history averaging around 8ypc over several years. Defenses shifted left and were ready for it and they still thrived. Lewan retiring is a huge deal for the run game in Ten. There's been countless one and two yard smash runs that were covered by a nice gain around the left corner. Downing struggled to adjust to this last year (among other things) and was fired. Tim Kelly has never had a back like Henry but has mentioned "bread n butter plays" so many times using Vrabel's exact words that I'm sure he knows the value lost there. What's their new bread n butter play? Henry behind Dillard? Tyjae flying left? It can't always be Henry put your hard hat on. Tyjae has a small chance but a chance to make himself a key cog in this offense if a play to him is it. I'd look for this in predicting future weeks. The Parcells/Gibbs "run the play anyway to establish dominance" is firmly in the Titans thinking passed down through many coaches. They will find their bread n butter play

Lot of what I said has already happened.
Spears incomplete in end zone running a mid deep route from WR
Henry and Spears in backfield, matchup on shift dictates what they do.

Some fun w Tannehill wide, Henry wildcat QB and Spears behind him. Led to nothing. Spears fell down as lead blocker but Saints were all over it.

Tyjae Spears rushed three times for 27 yards , while adding one catch for one yard on four targets in a Week 1 loss to the Saints.

Spears’ box score may not look overly impressive, but he was on the field often for the Titans, often lined up out wide as a receiver. With the Titans down four with 6:30 left in the game, Spears got the first carry of the drive, picking up six yards, and then immediately split out wide and was targeted by Tannehill on a 40-yard pass where Spears was wide open and Tannehill missed him. That sequence says a lot about how the Titans plan to use Spears and makes him a great waiver target in deeper leagues. His performance may just be too inconsistent for 12-team leagues early on unless you’re looking at him simply as a bench stash.

- Rotoworld

EDIT: I'm REALLY going to request a thread rename for this @knoblefantasy

Titans RB Tyjae Spears out-snapped Derrick Henry in the team’s Week 1 loss to the Saints.

Spears’ 34 snaps narrowly edged out Henry’s 30, with 12 of his snaps coming on third down. Spears was in on every third down snap for Titans in Sunday’s matchup, and led the backfield with four targets. A positive game script may have tilted the snap share more in Henry’s favor, but the Titans entered the fourth quarter trailing 16-9. Henry was still efficient with his opportunities, totaling 119 yards from scrimmage on 17 touches, but if Week 1 is any indication, Spears will have a meaningful role in the Titans’ offense.

Spears missed one he should have had. He turned around and had both hands on it. Sure blame Tannehill but I lean towards 70/30 on Spears for that.

His involvement at WR, Kearis Jackson getting zero snaps at WR, Dowell inactive....he didn't use any of the youthful WRs with speed they spent all off-season on. Just Spears and the predictable veteran backups.

I don't believe Spears gets so many looks at WR in the future. There might be one odd game the D puts a slow LB on him and he gets a ton but...he's just another threat, another matchup problem thrown at the D now n then. When Phillips returns, when Chig plays better, his WR opportunities will dwindle fast.

Tyjae Spears rushed three times for 27 yards , while adding one catch for one yard on four targets in a Week 1 loss to the Saints.

Spears’ box score may not look overly impressive, but he was on the field often for the Titans, often lined up out wide as a receiver. With the Titans down four with 6:30 left in the game, Spears got the first carry of the drive, picking up six yards, and then immediately split out wide and was targeted by Tannehill on a 40-yard pass where Spears was wide open and Tannehill missed him. That sequence says a lot about how the Titans plan to use Spears and makes him a great waiver target in deeper leagues. His performance may just be too inconsistent for 12-team leagues early on unless you’re looking at him simply as a bench stash.

- Rotoworld

EDIT: I'm REALLY going to request a thread rename for this @knoblefantasy
Looks like he was last on in February.

Groin injury for Tyjae
Titans added RB Jacques Patrick to PS.

Read into it?
There are no reports saying anything all negative and worrisome but....if something unforeseen, then Chestnut is the backup

He is my most owned player this year, I have him in all 6 of my managed leagues and around 1/4 of my best balls. If he goes off in the second half of the year then i should be in pretty good shape.

He played on 54% of the titans offensive snaps in week 1, that is a promising sign for a rookie playing behind arguably the best RB over the last 3 years.

If Tannhill could throw, he could have had an easy TD reception too. Same with Okonkwo. Was shocked to see him get that much work. Appears they really do want to keep Henry fresh. This kid might be fantasy gold this year.

Derrick Henry (toe) was not seen at the media portion of Thursday’s practice.
Henry was a limited participant in Wednesday’s practice, but was not spotted during the open portion of Thursday’s practice. His latest injury could be the cause for his absence, and it’s possible he later arrived to the field. We’ll know more on this when the team issues it’s Thursday practice report. Even if Henry did miss Thursday’s practice, a limited session on Friday would be good news for him heading into the weekend.

I’m thinking of dropping Roschon for Spears in a ten team ppr. Is that an overreaction?
I think it's fair. Both are about the same IMO. I like what I've seen of Spears. CHI offense is a mess (as opposed to TEN which just isn't very good). If anything happens to Henry Spears is going to be the guy.

Henry was a rest day. He should be LP or FP tomorrow. I still added Spears with my empty roster spot over Gainwelll, Perine, Miller, Bigsby, Mitchell and WR's like Cooks, Toney, Thielen in a short bench league not sure how long I'll be able to hold but works for now.

I mean, 25 rushes last week to get a measly 80 yards, against the chargers?! let's repeat that - against the CHARGERS! he should have had 125 yards at a minimum. dude can't carry the rock like he used to . he's worn out, broken down, now with a side order of turf toe. his role will decline all year long because he's just proving to be ineffective. Spears has the potential and probability to be the league winner for you. no way henry finishes the season as the main RB in Tenn he looks like zeke elliott last year in dallas.

I mean, 25 rushes last week to get a measly 80 yards, against the chargers?! let's repeat that - against the CHARGERS! he should have had 125 yards at a minimum. dude can't carry the rock like he used to . he's worn out, broken down, now with a side order of turf toe. his role will decline all year long because he's just proving to be ineffective. Spears has the potential and probability to be the league winner for you. no way henry finishes the season as the main RB in Tenn he looks like zeke elliott last year in dallas.
I like the way you think! But don't quite think the way you think.

Mentioned in Henry thread

He has an incredible burst, video game like, as good as anyone ever.
He looks like a cartoon animal running into a wall when he runs up the middle though. Idk that I've ever cringed so much and been like ooh are you ok?

He's so exciting outside but I just can't see him as a feature back unless they redo their line like the ol Giants did to suit Tiki.

Another thing- if you want perspective, Tiki did the Dolphins game and talked about it after. Google for his show the day after. He's not saying anything all that different from me above but he's much more well spoken and more detailed.

Derek Brown
Tyjae Spears is the easiest player to invest in for 2024

last season (per @FantasyPtsData)

5th in explosive run rate
26th in MTF/att
14th in yards after contact/att
17th in YPRR immediately behind R White & Ek

The Breakout is coming & it will be amazing.

Jeff Mueller, PT, DPT
Majority remain in holding pattern because they want to see Derrick Henry officially leave & Titans to avoid bringing in serious competition.

The wise are investing now understanding that Ran Carthon has full control over personnel & picked Tyjae Spears with a 3-down skillset.

If you follow Titans on social media, they put out a highlight video of Spears.
Watch it.
Every run except the last is right to the sideline

It's very much questionable how he runs up the gut

Watch it.

Tulane isn't the NFL, but he ran plenty up the gut when he had 229 carries in 2022. Because of his size, I wouldn't expect him to be a hammer, but he has done it.

Watch it.

Tulane isn't the NFL, but he ran plenty up the gut when he had 229 carries in 2022. Because of his size, I wouldn't expect him to be a hammer, but he has done it.
Yeah I think I watched everything of him on YouTube when they drafted him.
A lot of people have him replacing Henry and I can't say enough- that ability is just not there.

He's exciting. He has freakish ability to get to fifth gear.

All I've said and...I don't even know that he has the bod to run up the middle.

This is probably a phenomenal timing opportunity to trade him and to shush and leave the value low of whatever other back is added if Henry is gone.

Yesterday GM Ran Carthon said Spears is made of the right curse and...Spears is loved for sure.

When asked if Chestnut would be ready he said "oh he's ready, he's ready." Said fifty times. They love Chestnut too and if not for the torn ACL he'd be in conversations. Now he's a torn ACL guy so ya can't count on him but he's very much a "don't count me out either" type. He was, not Spears, Henry's backup when he got hurt. In his highlights you can see his low shoulders tough thru the middle then break off a run. He's the one made for it

Several reports Titans looking to sign a RB. Note Spears' role in most, if not all, reports is NOT the lead back

Users who are viewing this thread