What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tyjae Spears has Fantasy value in rbbc too (1 Viewer)

Both Pollard and Spears seem to be more valuable in the passing game. Will be interesting to see how they're deployed and if they add more of a hammer.

Given that we knew Tennessee would bring in another RB, the Pollard signing feels like a positive for Spears imo. Rostered both last year and sure felt like their arrows were pointing in opposite directions.

Pollard will be 27 next month, coming off a very disappointing attempt at being a lead RB. Conversely, Spears is just 22 and looked electric as a rookie. It's definitely going to start out as a timeshare, but if they both look like they did last year, a struggling Pollard is going to have a heck of a time convincing coaches to keep him on the field over a more effective Spears.

Last edited:
Given that we knew Tennessee would bring in another RB, the Pollard signing feels like a positive for Spears imo. Rostered both last year and sure felt like their arrows were pointing in opposite directions.

Pollard will be 27 next month, coming off a very disappointing attempt at being a lead RB. Conversely, Spears is just 22 and looked electric as a rookie. It's definitely going to start out as a timeshare, but if they both look like they did last year, a struggling Pollard is going to have a heck of a time convincing coaches to keep him on the field over a more effective Spears.
If I'm interpreting what @Bri has been saying correctly, I think this is more of a negative than anything. It seems like Tenn will still utilize a hammer (another FA? Chestnut as Bri has mentioned?) in addition to the 2 scatbacks. It's possible they eat into each other's role vs this being a true 1A/1B type of situation.

If I'm interpreting what @Bri has been saying correctly, I think this is more of a negative than anything. It seems like Tenn will still utilize a hammer (another FA? Chestnut as Bri has mentioned?) in addition to the 2 scatbacks. It's possible they eat into each other's role vs this being a true 1A/1B type of situation.
That scenario makes the entire TEN backfield unstartable.

have no dog in this fight but don't see how this isn't worst case scenario for Spears, Pollard is the same type of back.
It’s an odd signing. Why sign a soon-to-be 27 year old RB coming off a disappointing season when you’ve got a 22 year old RB that does the same things better?
well if had to answer that, guess would be they want to take pressure off of Levis, there OL isn't good so having an outlet is going to be key, giving them two guys like this gives them more options and insurance and maybe they draft a cheap RB to be more of a goal line/bruiser guy.

Reactions: Bri

Yes absolutely
Spears is fast as all getting to the sideline.
Pollard has dynamic play of his own.
Neither is Zeke or Henry.

They were reportedly in on Singletary. Could be Chestnut but ACL doubt. Could be Haskins but we all thought he'd be cut due to domestic and he went on IR.
Many believed they were in on Mixon a month or so ago.
There's definitely an element missing.
There is also a bad predictability for the opposing D to the group that can't happen either.

Spears needs to be the complete back everyone says he was in college yet wasn't in the NFL for this group to work as is. He looked cartoonish last year. I have no doubt new OL and Callahan can help that but he looked like he ran into a wall. It wasn't lets discuss cuts and vision and explosion it was just ooof.

GM Ran Carthon has a habit (SF sort of) of drafting a RB each draft so I'd expect one.

Idk that I want anyone today for FF. It's very muddy

If they don’t believe Spears can be the early downs back, that means they prioritized doubling down on the complimentary back role by signing Pollard before addressing what seems like a bigger need at RB. Seems like they would’ve been better off spending for a guy like Gus Edwards instead of Pollard, then finding another complimentary back.

Which could indicate that they do plan to use Spears as the lead RB with Pollard in the complimentary role?

If they don’t believe Spears can be the early downs back, that means they prioritized doubling down on the complimentary back role by signing Pollard before addressing what seems like a bigger need at RB. Seems like they would’ve been better off spending for a guy like Gus Edwards instead of Pollard, then finding another complimentary back.

Which could indicate that they do plan to use Spears as the lead RB with Pollard in the complimentary role?
They paid Pollard more than they would've if they felt he was just in a complimentary role.

Probably should have.
Right now it looks like Dallas let Zeke walk and forced Pollard into a bigger role soooo let's try the same only we'll double down on this with Spears

I'll preface with the fact I like Spears; but man I feel like Pollard is going to be a steal this year with how down people are on him. Forget the role change and IMO questionable coaching usage in 2023; the dude fractured his fibula in January of 2023 lol. People who thought he'd come back from that 8 months later looking the same were nuts to begin with. His metrics from his career prior to that injury were fantastic on just about every level. And he had more than a handful of games playing lead back and every down for the Cowboys in previous years looking great. I won't say I think his best role is a 80% touch 3 down back, but to act like he can't run tough on early downs is basically writing off everything he did before his injury. I can see that side of the argument "maybe he'll never return to form", but I can't be on board with people completely ignoring what he did previously or acting like it's definitive that he won't improve on last season now fully healed.

It's been said repeatedly by the players themselves; being healthy enough to suit up and play is a world of difference from being at full health 100% of your abilities. And claiming he straight up stinks is an L take and laughable. I think the most likely scenario is in the middle somewhere; a split timeshare with Spears where they both hold low to mid RB2 value. And an injury to either would vault the other up into RB1 territory. Depending on their price in another few months, I'd seriously consider investing in both. At the very least, I'd be taking the lower cost guy.

Ran Carthon just on the radio- what intrigued him about Pollard that he's a three down back and how his game compliments Spears' so well.
I think they're similar
Am I stuck in an old school way thinking Thunder n lightning is complimentary style?

Ran Carthon just on the radio- what intrigued him about Pollard that he's a three down back and how his game compliments Spears' so well.
I think they're similar
Am I stuck in an old school way thinking Thunder n lightning is complimentary style?
I think they are both a little more lightening than thunder, but think they will complement each other well. Watching Spears college tape, I think both he and Pollard have similar skill sets tbh; which would be good for the offensive scheme that you aren't really giving away your hand when you have one back in as opposed to the other. And should one go down, you don't have to redesign your entire game plan.

I'd predict a pretty even split, where maybe they also lean towards the hot hand where if one of them is having a better game they will get more touches. With Levis still unproven, I think the running game will still be a big feature of their offense and would not be surprised if both backs can be valuable in fantasy as mid RB2s. It will really depend on where they wind up ADP wise come August.

Reactions: Bri
I think it's better to have RBs who don't make your play calling predictable

Definitely this, which is why the old "Thunder & Lightning" is a bit of an antiquated approach. We won't see many more pairings like the Dunn/Alstott pair. Offenses are moving more and more to finding pieces you can move around to create mismatches - RBs that can motion out into the slot, TEs that you can move all over to force a CB to try cover them in a jump ball situation or a LB to try cover them in an open field situation. It's all 4D chess.

Users who are viewing this thread