What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Week 5 who should I start thread **OFFICIAL** (3 Viewers)

Flex non-ppr.

Carson

Dwill

Golladay

Pollard
I am spooked by the news surrounding Carson's neck.  Pollard is great but Zeke is clearly still the man.

I really like Golladay but we need to hear more updates around Sterling Shepard as there are a lot of mouths to feed on that offense.

Damien Williams, providing everything surrounding his quad injury remains good seems like the best option to receive good volume against a suspect defense. 

Flex non-ppr.

Carson

Dwill

Golladay

Pollard

I am spooked by the news surrounding Carson's neck.  Pollard is great but Zeke is clearly still the man.

I really like Golladay but we need to hear more updates around Sterling Shepard as there are a lot of mouths to feed on that offense.

Damien Williams, providing everything surrounding his quad injury remains good seems like the best option to receive good volume against a suspect defense. 

DWill.  I'm hearing from my sources that Carson will most likely sit tomorrow, and it could be multiple weeks.  (A gambling buddy)

Rank the Running Backs Please - Full PPR

CEH home vs Bills
Kareem Hunt @ Chargers
Damien Harris @ Texans
Alexander Mattison home vs Lions (only if Dalvin Cook is Inactive)
Alex Collins home vs Rams (only if Chris Carson is Inactive) - Thursday night

LionOfGosforth said:
standard scoring, starting Elliott and Ridley, need 2 from this group:

C.Carson @ Rams - normally trustworthy but this past week, yuck

D.Henderson - same game as Carson

C.Patterson vs Jets - don't like starting multiple players from same team but gotta ride the wave for now?

D.Swift @ Vikings - tough to trust after such a bad game, was it a one off?

Also at TE - Kittle @ Cardinals or Knox @ Chiefs

Thanks!
I can't trust Carson after 2 DNPs.  I'd go Henderson and Patterson

Chaka said:
Looking for a new defense this week and the waiver wire is meh.  I have Cin v GB

On the wire:

Chi @ LVR (or LVR v Chi with a rookie QB & Montgomery is out)

GB @ Cin

Ari v SF (another nice matchup and I like defenses with high scoring offenses)

LAC v Cle (I think SD has easily the best defense of the bunch but it's a tough matchup)

Tenn @ Jax

Atl v NYJ (or NYJ @ Atl)
I'd do Cardinals

Giving a little more thought to Tennessee. They pooped the bed v the Jets and they haven't been a very good d for awhile but some crazy stuff going on in Jacksonville.  

Is there a chance that team quits on Meyer? Or does this turn into a rallying cry?
Could be wild either way.  To quote Clint Eastwood - Do you feel lucky today?

Deciding between Lance (obviously assuming he starts) vs. Arizona and Lawrence vs. Tennessee as my QB2 in superflex. Allen is my QB1. 

4 pts passing TDs/6 pts rushing TDs; standard yardage; 1 pt/5 completions 

Leaning Lance, although not the easiest matchup and have visions of Fields in his first start a few weeks ago. Lawrence may have turned the corner based on TNF and has a good matchup, but hard to ignore  Lance’s potential upside, and given that the Niners will  likely have to put up points against Arizona.
I don't think there's any comparison between a Lance first start and a Fields first start.  Shanahan paid 3 first rounders for Lance - he might have preferred to let him sit and learn, but if he's out there, then he's getting the Trey Lance version of the offense, not the Jimmy G version, and certainly no the Andy Dalton version.  Doesn't mean Lance will be awesome but the Fields debut is just as relevant as Joe Montana's first start as a 49er.

Trevor got traded from the NFL and is now in the circus.  I usually avoid players in a circus.

Rank the Running Backs Please - Full PPR

CEH home vs Bills
Kareem Hunt @ Chargers
Damien Harris @ Texans
Alexander Mattison home vs Lions (only if Dalvin Cook is Inactive)
Alex Collins home vs Rams (only if Chris Carson is Inactive) - Thursday night
Kareem & CEH are a coin toss ATM. If all of these guys start this week Kareem & CEH are the top two. I give Kareem a slight edge because he is the better talent.

After that I like Mattison very clearly above Collins & Harris. The Vikings have a true lead back mentality (and they shortening Dalvin's career in front of our eyes because of it). So Mattison should see plenty of action on a plus matchup.

Harris is the real wild card IMO. The Pats have a great matchup and I think there is a real possibility they overcorrect on the pass dominant offense of the past couple weeks. IF that happens Harris could have a big day 

Couple years back Collins was a hot commodity with great running ability and a penchant for putting the ball on the turf. So, what's changed? Will he have a short leash if he fumbles early? Will he be part of the game plan if this turns into a shoot out? I have trouble slotting this guy.

Need two, one must be a WR, PPR. 

Davis vs. Jets

Gainwell vs. Car

Shenault vs. Ten

Waddle vs. TB

Mooney vs. LV

Patrick vs. Pit

I have Davis and Shenault in as of now. 

Last edited by a moderator:
WR2 Standard league:

Shenault vs Den

Claypool vs Den

C Samuel vs NO
Well they can't both be against Denver.  

But yeah...id go Shenault at the moment.

Can't trust Claypool (and Ive been close to cutting him for Shenault who remains available).  And Samuel just hasn't shown enough yet.

jobarules said:
This is the easiest one so far. Dwill without question. Carson is hurt, golladay hasn't shown much yet, Pollard is a backup rb.
That is where I am going with DWill...but Golladay has looked decent all year and had a very nice game last week.

That is where I am going with DWill...but Golladay has looked decent all year and had a very nice game last week.
Yeah I guess I was so enamored by Barkley and Toney highlights I kind of missed his stat line. I also have a feeling that NYG-DAL game is gonna be a lower scoring, grind it out slugfest than some might expect.

Man In The Box said:

Davis vs. Jets

Gainwell vs. Car

Shenault vs. Ten

Waddle vs. TB

Mooney vs. LV

Patrick vs. Pit

Davis for sure.  Mooney for the other spot but it’s very close. Mooney, Waddle and then Shenault is how I’d rank the second spot.  Tough choice for sure because they are all viable. 

Man In The Box said:

Davis vs. Jets

Gainwell vs. Car

Shenault vs. Ten

Waddle vs. TB

Mooney vs. LV

Patrick vs. Pit

I lean Mike Davis vs the Jets ATM. He is getting consistent RB1/2 touches and I think we all reasonably believe there will be a correction in Cordarrelle's torrid TD output at some.point. It's a plus matchup at home so Davis is a reasonably safe bet.

Gainwell's 8 targets feels like an outlier to me. Plus they are playing a very tough defense on the road.

I think the choice comes down to three very similar options in Shenault, Waddle & Mooney. Patrick is efficient but his usage hasn't picked up since Jeudy went down. I don't generally like recommending low usage:high efficiency guys.

For Shenault I worry about all the dysfunction in Jacksonville. Players almost always play hard, but don't go the extra bit of all-in for coaches they don't respect. This team is at a real pivot point.

The Dolphins simply don't look like a very good team. The idea of being down big @ TB is tempting but they lost 35-0 and Waddle got 8 looks, in a close one vs LV he got 13. His other two games were 4 & 5 targets. His usage is the most inconsistent of the three. I'm also not a huge believer in Brisset generating high end numbers for his WRs.

Mooney looked good in a breakout game last week. And he has a plus matchup against a Raiders team that may be down two DBs. LV is no TB on offense but they absolutely have the ability to force a similar game script against Chicago as TB will against Miami. But, unlike the Waddle & Shenault, Mooney has a legit Alpha WR playing opposite him. Unless you believe A.Rob is done he is a threat to Mooney's ceiling...and floor.

Yeah I agree with Davis & Shenault ATM.

WR2 Standard league:

Shenault vs Den

Claypool vs Den

C Samuel vs NO
I don't think you can rely on Samuel yet.

Claypool, IMO has the most talent and if his practice reports are good all week I would very much consider him. Pittsburgh is a well coached team with a lot of pride. I think they are going to have a bad season overall but they will not stay this bad. Denver is not a juggernaut and may have Drew Lock starting.

But overall I think Shenault is probably the right call. The team is in disarray but it's a good matchup, the QB has as much arm talent as anyone and there aren't a ton of mouths to feed in Jax.

Shenault

PPR League.

This is assuming C. Carson doesn't play tonight and A. Collins is active. (If Carson is active, I'm benching both him and A. Colins).

Need two of the following three:

* A. Collins vs LAR -- Everyone thinks this is a tough matchup. It's not. The LAR have been gouged in the run game. See AZ last week and D. Montgomery week 1 (and ignore the TB game where Arians didn't bother running). At home. Collins looked good last week. That said, I wouldn't be surprised to see Homer and D. Dallas in the mix.

* T. Boyd vs GB -- Been solid. Higgins back to steal targets. GB secondary banged up and minus J. Alexander potentially. Could be a high scorer. Ideal situation would be GB getting out in front so Cinci has to play catchup. Mixon being out could mean even more passing.

* M. Pittman @BAL -- Been getting the targets and is the clear #1 WR. Wentz just missing him in the endzone. Could be lined up against Humphries though and Indy offense hard to trust.

Which two?

Who hits the bench?

Thanks!

Not a start/sit question, but close.  I need to cut an RB for a kicker.  If Chris Carson is active tonight then Collins is the easy cut.  But if Carson is out, then have to choose between Mattison (insurance for Dalvin Cook) vs Collins (insurance for Chris Carson).  So who is better bet for ROS?

Full PPR - roster below
Christian McCaffrey CAR
Clyde Edwards-Helaire KC
Kareem Hunt CLE
Damien Harris NE
Alexander Mattison MIN
Alex Collins SEA

PPR League.

This is assuming C. Carson doesn't play tonight and A. Collins is active. (If Carson is active, I'm benching both him and A. Colins).

* A. Collins vs LAR -- Everyone thinks this is a tough matchup. It's not. The LAR have been gouged in the run game. See AZ last week and D. Montgomery week 1 (and ignore the TB game where Arians didn't bother running). At home. Collins looked good last week. That said, I wouldn't be surprised to see Homer and D. Dallas in the mix.

* T. Boyd vs GB -- Been solid. Higgins back to steal targets. GB secondary banged up and minus J. Alexander potentially. Could be a high scorer. Ideal situation would be GB getting out in front so Cinci has to play catchup. Mixon being out could mean even more passing.

* M. Pittman @BAL -- Been getting the targets and is the clear #1 WR. Wentz just missing him in the endzone. Could be lined up against Humphries though and Indy offense hard to trust.

Which two?

Who hits the bench?

Thanks!
If Carson is out of course you roll with Collins. He should be in line for around 15 touches. The Rams are a bad matchup mostly because the Rams offense can pressure other teams out of their game plans. Still, if he starts so should Collins.

Between Boyd & Pittman it's close. I don't think Higgins eats into Boyds target share significantly. He had 4 & 9 targets to Higgins's 5 & 10 in the two games played together. Boyd had 6 & 11 in the two games without. But don't forget that Mixon is hurting and may not be as big a factor opening up potential opportunities for the passing game.

Pittman should have a more good shot at a couple more targets than Boyd but...yeah Sunday night @ Baltimore looks a lot worse than @ Cincinnati 

This is really a coin toss but, right now I lean Boyd because of the matchup and having a better QB.

Not a start/sit question, but close.  I need to cut an RB for a kicker.  If Chris Carson is active tonight then Collins is the easy cut.  But if Carson is out, then have to choose between Mattison (insurance for Dalvin Cook) vs Collins (insurance for Chris Carson).  So who is better bet for ROS?

Full PPR - roster below
Christian McCaffrey CAR
Clyde Edwards-Helaire KC
Kareem Hunt CLE
Damien Harris NE
Alexander Mattison MIN
Alex Collins SEA

Since you don't have Dalvin or Carson, they aren't insurance for you, they're lottery picks. If you want insurance you should use Collins &/or Mattison to acquire Hubbard. Then dump the other for a kicker.

It really depends on if you would start Collins tonight or not. If so then you have to cut Mattison.

If not it's really a coin toss. Personally I dump Collins in that situation because I prefer how Minnesota really features their lead back. If Dalvin gets hurt Mattison should see consistent high volume. If Carson goes down long term Seattle still abandons the run occasionally and you also have Penny waiting in the wings.

Likely starting 2 of Collins, Mike Davis, and CMC. I can start 1 or 2 RB. The early starts make it a little complicated.

- If Carson is inactive tonight, Collins goes in the lineup. If not, he doesn't.

- If I play Collins, I have to hope to have clarity on CMC before the ATL-NYJ game in London (latest: " Carolina Panthers RB Christian McCaffrey (hamstring) won't be put in danger, but head coach Matt Rhule said he's hopeful McCaffrey plays in Week 5.").  

The real dilemma would be: Carson inactive, CMC a game-time decision and I have to decide between Davis and *maybe* CMC for my RB2 slot at 9:15 Sunday. Although in that scenario I could flex in a WR3 instead of RB2 if CMC is inactive.

Man, I’m 1-3 really need a win

i need to start a flex , redraft nonPPR

laviska shenault @ TEN

Robert woods @ SEA

michael Carter vs ATL 

my current lineup: 

Qb: rodgers

Rb: derrick Henry 

Rb: mike davis

Wr: diggs

Wr: mike Williams

flex: ??

TE: higbee 

PPR League.

Which two?

Who hits the bench?

Thanks!
If Carson is out...Collins.

I think Boyd is a must start this week in all formats.  GB so banged up in the secondary...and they already were getting eaten up on routes underneath.

Likely starting 2 of Collins, Mike Davis, and CMC. I can start 1 or 2 RB. The early starts make it a little complicated.

- If Carson is inactive tonight, Collins goes in the lineup. If not, he doesn't.

- If I play Collins, I have to hope to have clarity on CMC before the ATL-NYJ game in London (latest: " Carolina Panthers RB Christian McCaffrey (hamstring) won't be put in danger, but head coach Matt Rhule said he's hopeful McCaffrey plays in Week 5.").  

The real dilemma would be: Carson inactive, CMC a game-time decision and I have to decide between Davis and *maybe* CMC for my RB2 slot at 9:15 Sunday. Although in that scenario I could flex in a WR3 instead of RB2 if CMC is inactive.
I'm not sure there is a question there but I find taking the time to write out the dilemma, as you did, helps me solidify my own thinking.  It's why I like posting in this thread, it helps me understand how I value players which, according to my wdis pick tracking spreadsheet is about as effective as a coin toss.

But I agree with your logic on all counts.  I think you should count on CMC being a GTD, which means you have to question his effectiveness even if he doesn't play.  I don't know what your other options are so I lean towards locking in Davis unless you have a flex option that may be better.

Davis hasn't been great but he has been getting consistent touches and personally I think Cordarrelle will have a TD correction, regression, at some point soon.  Although that would likely benefit Ridley most, possibly Pitts.

My flex spot is beating me up this week, I don't know who to start. 0.5 PPR

Starting Dalvin and D Williams at RB and Kupp and DJ Moore at WR. 

Flex options: 

Jakobi Meyers at Hou

Damian Harris at Hou

Michael Pittman at Balt

Michael Carter London game v Atl

Alex Collins at LAR (depends on Carson availability)

Laviska Shenault v Ten

Kenny Golladay at Dal

I'm not sure there is a question there but I find taking the time to write out the dilemma, as you did, helps me solidify my own thinking.  It's why I like posting in this thread, it helps me understand how I value players which, according to my wdis pick tracking spreadsheet is about as effective as a coin toss.

But I agree with your logic on all counts.  I think you should count on CMC being a GTD, which means you have to question his effectiveness even if he doesn't play.  I don't know what your other options are so I lean towards locking in Davis unless you have a flex option that may be better.

Davis hasn't been great but he has been getting consistent touches and personally I think Cordarrelle will have a TD correction, regression, at some point soon.  Although that would likely benefit Ridley most, possibly Pitts.
Yeah, wasn't really intended as a question, just laying out the thought process.

If I play Collins on TNF and then don't start CMC *or* Davis, my WR options would be Shepard (if healthy), Lazard, T Marshall, Q Watkins. A healthy Shepard vs Davis is a coin flip but the others are dart throws - blindfolded.

Flex options: 

Jakobi Meyers at Hou

Damian Harris at Hou

Michael Pittman at Balt

Laviska Shenault v Ten

Kenny Golladay at Dal

If Collins starts i go him

Otherwise Golladay in what should be a shootout

FFPC scoring:

Need 2 of the following:

C. Kirk vs SF

D. Goedert @ Car

E. Engram @ Dall

And which TE:

N. Fant @ Pitt

T. Conklin vs Det

Bench Engram and Conklin

Half PPR, currently starting the following, 1WR 2RB 1flex: Woods tonight @ Seahawks, Patterson v Jets (London), Perine v Packers (also own Mixon) and Hunt @ Clippers. However, I've just picked up Alex Collins, so on the assumption Carson doesn't start, do I start him, and if so, do I move Patterson to WR and bench Woods, or leave the Bungles RB situation alone?

I also have Mattison which may make leaving a RB spot open by using Patterson at WR relevant, thoughts?

Flex options: 

Jakobi Meyers at Hou

Damian Harris at Hou

Michael Pittman at Balt

Laviska Shenault v Ten

Kenny Golladay at Dal
If Carson is out I think you have to go with Collins, if not it gets very complicated.

New England is prime for a correction in their run:pass ratio, something McDaniels mentioned this week IIRC, in a very plus matchup @ Houston which favors Harris and hurts Jakobi.

I got a sleeperbot update that the OC in Jax says Shenault is going to see more action, a big positive as he already got decent usage.  However Jax may be imploding as we speak and I imagine Tennessee is still angry about the late loss to the Jets (though they may not have the defensive talent to turn that anger into results).

Golladay is surprisingly underappreciated IMO. I would follow the practice reports on Shepard and, to a lesser extend Slayton.  If Shepard comes back I like Golladay over Shenault.

I hate London games and I have no idea yet how to judge Carter.  You have safer options with better upside.

Collins if he starts if not I like Harris a bit, a very small bit, above Golladay/Shenault (depending on Shepard's status).

.2 PPR

Woods tonight vs SEA

Cooks vs NE

If the rest of your lineup is such that you're locked and loaded, then probably Cooks, if you can adapt in the event that Woods works/fails then go Woods. Seems close otherwise, in close spots I usually lean towards the Thursday player to have more information

FFPC scoring:

Need 2 of the following:

C. Kirk vs SF

D. Goedert @ Car

E. Engram @ Dall

And which TE:

N. Fant @ Pitt

T. Conklin vs Det
Just tough calls all around for you. I think you ride Fant>Conklin after last week.

I really like Engram's talent and if Shepard is out I like him in what is potentially a game the Giants will need to play a lot of catch up.  Goedert is interesting coming off a nice game but I still worry about his usage overall. Engram has 6 targets each game so far, Goedert has topped out at 5 (2x).  That's a tiny margin and Goedert probably is more of an option near the goal line than Engram. Goedert also has a much tougher opponent defensively.

Yeah, tough call...coin toss for me between Engram & Goedert. Kirk is not part of the equation for me.

Bench Engram and Conklin

Half PPR, currently starting the following, 1WR 2RB 1flex: Woods tonight @ Seahawks, Patterson v Jets (London), Perine v Packers (also own Mixon) and Hunt @ Clippers. However, I've just picked up Alex Collins, so on the assumption Carson doesn't start, do I start him, and if so, do I move Patterson to WR and bench Woods, or leave the Bungles RB situation alone?

I also have Mattison which may make leaving a RB spot open by using Patterson at WR relevant, thoughts?
If Collins starts, I would start him and bench Perine.  Perine hasn't done anything in his career to convince me he will be anything but JAG.  Even if Mixon misses time I am not convinced Perine will see anywhere near the same usage as Mixon. It is just as likely he gets 8-12 carries but mostly is tasked with picking up blitzers and being the occasional safety valve on a 50 pass night for Burrow.

IMO if Perine gets the start he is a hold for Mixon owners just to see if he can actually do anything with his opportunity.  Patterson is very due for a correction but he still is getting 12+ opportunities/game which is in the wheelhouse for what I anticipate Perine touches to be.  I would rather be wrong about the hot hand than roll the dice and fail on JAG.

.2 PPR

Woods tonight vs SEA

Cooks vs NE
I firmly believe that there will be a correction for Woods, and he has a better...everything surrounding him.  But, man Cooks is getting 10 targets/game it's hard to ignore that.

I view it as a situation where you decide if you need the upside this week or want the more sure production or the bigger upside.

I lean Woods purely on a hunch that the correction will come sooner than later.

Flex - Latavious Murray vs Colts, Marvin Jones vs TN or Alex Collins at home vs Rams. Non PPR
If Carson is out those are three solid options.

Collins>>>Marvin>Latavius

ETA: I like Marvin overall more than Latavius but Murray is by far the safer play.  Crazy stuff is going on in Jacksonville and we have no idea what to expect this Sunday.  I think there is a greater chance of a total collapse than some kind of circle the wagons outcome.

If you don't start Collins, Latavius is definitely the safer choice.

1ppr league

Usually put Monte in my flex with CEH & James Robinson in my rb spots but with Monte being out now need one from this group

Parker--MIA

Gordon--KC

Gainwell--PHI

Collins--SEA

TIA

1ppr league

Usually put Monte in my flex with CEH & James Robinson in my rb spots but with Monte being out now need one from this group

Parker--MIA

Gordon--KC

Gainwell--PHI

Collins--SEA

TIA
Do you mean David Montgomery?

I think Collins is an obvious start if Carson is out in Seattle and an obvious bench is Carson plays.

If you don't start Collins it gets trickier. 

Josh Gordon is a complete unknown. I drove his bandwagon for far longer than I care to admit, just like most people who had him in his magical 2013 season. Whenever he came back from suspension I picked him up without question. He was a seminal physical talent, could have been a Randy Moss (only hotter with his shirt off, so maybe Terrell Owens is a better comp). I understand the school of thought that says to play him while he is active because the ride will likely be short.  He's got a great QB and weapons opposite him to keep defenses away. If you want to have the most fun watching SNF then absolutely start Gordon. I wouldn't be surprised if he catches 5 for 150 and 2 scores.  I also wouldn't be surprised if he catches 1 for 4 with 0 TDs and a pulled groin muscle.

I don't trust Gainwell. His usage is sporadic and last weeks nice stat line feels just as likely to be an outlier as a preview of things to come.  It's a tough road matchup and I think Sanders is still the superior talent. If Siriani commits to the run I think Sanders will be the main beneficiary. Personally Siriani gives me the "abandon the run in the first quarter" vibe so even if either Sanders or Gainwell has a big game rushing I wouldn't count on it lasting.

I don't trust the coaching staff in Miami anymore than the one in Phili but I do like Parker's talent and he consistently gets 8 looks a game. Brissett is not a world beater but he has thrown the occasional 300+ yard game and you have to think Miami is eventually going to need to throw a lot just to make things look marginally less humiliating on the scoreboard.  Plus TB is hurting in a big way in the secondary.

Collins if Carson is out

Parker is the smart move if you don't play Collins

Gordon is the let's have fun and see what happens move.

1ppr league

Parker--MIA

Gordon--KC

Gainwell--PHI

Collins--SEA

TIA
My opponent is starting Josh Gordon so if guaranteed to boom.

More seriously, Gordon has the highest ceiling and lowest floor of this group.  Collins would be the safest play, but only if Carson is out.   

If Carson is out...Collins.

I think Boyd is a must start this week in all formats.  GB so banged up in the secondary...and they already were getting eaten up on routes underneath.

Follow up question on 2 of Collins/Boyd/Pittman where the two seem to be Collins and Boyd...

...If Carson is active, I assume you have to bench BOTH C. Carson and A. Collins and then go with T. Boyd & M. Pittman. 

Two sure things vs. two unknowns.

Should know shortly if Carson is active or not.

Follow up question on 2 of Collins/Boyd/Pittman where the two seem to be Collins and Boyd...

...If Carson is active, I assume you have to bench BOTH C. Carson and A. Collins and then go with T. Boyd & M. Pittman. 

Agreed. Carson would be a risk if he starts.  Im sitting him regardless tonight.

I guess FF is fluid, who'd a thought...with Carson out, do I go Henderson or Collins?
Is Carson officially out? I haven't received any updates on that.

Honestly it's a pick 'em for me as I anticipate similar usage for both. I think Collins is probably a better runner but I worry about his past fumbling issues. Will he have a short leash if he puts it on the turf early? Probably not but... :shrug:

Henderson is on the better offense IMO.

Yeah tough call, not sure I wouldn't flip a coin.

I like Henderson by the slimmest margin.

Agree.

Users who are viewing this thread