What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What made you feel old today? (4 Viewers)

I got a 2nd shingles shot yesterday and I had to take a day off today as it absolutely wiped me out.

Just looking in the mirror or seeing myself on Teams calls. So much gray hair, double chin and bags under the eyes. :scream:
Wish I still saw gray. I get surprised when I see how white my hair is.
Mine started near the temples, then the chin (goatee), then like all of a sudden I am Santa Claus.

Over the past year or two, I would occasionally get a stray gray in one of my eyebrows (which I would summarily pluck). I looked the other day and there were like 10 (5 or so in each brow). WTH...

Oh, and as a bonus I yank ear hair from time to time and it's always gray/white.

Just looking in the mirror or seeing myself on Teams calls. So much gray hair, double chin and bags under the eyes. :scream:
Mine started near the temples, then the chin (goatee), then like all of a sudden I am Santa Claus.

Over the past year or two, I would occasionally get a stray gray in one of my eyebrows (which I would summarily pluck). I looked the other day and there were like 10 (5 or so in each brow). WTH...

Oh, and as a bonus I yank ear hair from time to time and it's always gray/white.
LOL. Same.

Was just telling my wife last night that I wish I had a crystal ball back in the day. I could have died my hair Billy Idol white/blonde and looked forever "young".

Seeing a little kid on my walk selling lemonade for $2 a cup. That made me remember when I was a little kid you could get psychiatric help for a nickel...

LOL. Same.

Was just telling my wife last night that I wish I had a crystal ball back in the day. I could have died my hair Billy Idol white/blonde and looked forever "young".
Back in the very late 90's / early 2000's, when bleached blonde hair was a big thing, I tried doing that. It turned out orange. :bag:

Was this past weekend today?

My wife and I were at the neighborhood pool and an ice cream truck came past, blaring the ice cream truck music. Another couple (late 20's/early 30's?) with 2 very young children wondered loudly what that was and then discussed what it could have been.

I looked over at my wife and was dumbfounded as we both heard that as kids and came running when it was likely a mile away. Kids were too young for them to be playing it off to dissuade interest in ice cream treats so I took it as genuine. I actually told my wife, "$%#@, we're old."
This one in genuinely puzzling. Where do you live that doesn't have ice cream trucks?

I figure whoever wrote "Music Box Dancer" retired on that.

LOL. Same.

OHHHHHHHHH POOR BABIES YOUR FULL HEAD OF HAIR TURNED WHITE.......

F YOU

Getting out of bed :kicksrock:
Definitely had that experience, but at what age does it become the norm?

Seems like most people start breaking down in their mid-50s, and even doing everything "right" doesn't delay it much.
You shut your mouth
Not trying to criticize; genuinely curious. You're among the mid/late-50ish people on this board who've talked about their experience with intermittent pain, and I'm only a few years younger than you.

Realizing no two people are identical, I was just trying to gauge the room: at what age does daily pain become a reality? I'm not talking about debilitating pain, just waking up a little sore, with occasional pain severe enough to limit activity.

I'm not at that point, fortunately. I've had a handful of instances when low back pain flares after age 40, as well as waking up sore for no apparent reason, though the latter occurs maybe once a month, or less. I have no idea if this is the norm. But posts like @Hawks64's make me wonder what lies ahead.

Seems like most people start breaking down in their mid-50s, and even doing everything "right" doesn't delay it much.
You shut your mouth
Not trying to criticize; genuinely curious. You're among the mid/late-50ish people on this board who've talked about their experience with intermittent pain, and I'm only a few years younger than you.

Realizing no two people are identical, I was just trying to gauge the room: at what age does daily pain become a reality? I'm not talking about debilitating pain, just waking up a little sore, with occasional pain severe enough to limit activity.

I'm not at that point, fortunately. I've had a handful of instances when low back pain flares after age 40, as well as waking up sore for no apparent reason, though the latter occurs maybe once a month, or less. I have no idea if this is the norm. But posts like @Hawks64's make me wonder what lies ahead.
No offense taken. I was just messing with you.

I don’t really have unexplained pain. The pain I have is generally associated with what I do. I work on my feet and sometimes my feet hurt. when I was drinking more, I had more inflammation and It was worse. The biggest difference is recovery. It takes longer and is real. As you know, I’m very active and I think that really helps. I don’t mind being sore from physical activity. In fact I actually sort of enjoy it because it means I can still move. :lmao:

I started to notice decline in my physical ability when I was around 47. It was at that point that I got really into the gym and working out regularly. I would say that I’m in better shape now then I was at 47 stronger more flexible and better cardiovascular.

I got a 2nd shingles shot yesterday and I had to take a day off today as it absolutely wiped me out.
That shot is rough for pretty much everyone, though only old people need it :frown:
Mr R and I got sore arms for a day, and that was it. No biggies at all.

Post reported for cyber-bullying and making fun of the elderly. ;)

I'm pretty hearty, I don't get sick all that often but it's odd how certain things effect people differently. I remember, years ago, when our son was in pre-school, he came down with strep throat, next my wife got it and it was like a normal sore throat or cold for them. They had no downtime at all. When I got it, I had never been so sick in my life. I think I was down for a week and every time I've gotten it since, it does the same thing, not much for them but it completely wipes me out.

Also had this exchange this morning with one of our newer associate attorneys and one of my paralegals (both are in their mid-20s):

Me to paralegal: You know, a twist like in the Sixth Sense movie.
Paralegal: What movie?
Me: You know, M. Night Shamalyan? Made maybe the greatest twist ending movie ever but has failed to make anything close since.
Paralegal: wat?
Me to associate attorney: C'mon, you know the Sixth Sense movie, right?
Associate: No... (wondering if I'm gonna fire her for not knowing)
Same associate today:

1. Doesn't know who Blink-182 is.
2. Doesn't know was Mapquest is/was.
3. Didn't realize cars used to not have GPS.

At this point I don't know whether she's ****ing with me or trying to get fired.

Also had this exchange this morning with one of our newer associate attorneys and one of my paralegals (both are in their mid-20s):

Me: You know, M. Night Shamalyan? Made maybe the greatest twist ending movie ever but has failed to make anything close since.
Same associate today:

At this point I don't know whether she's ****ing with me or trying to get fired.
Can she use a rotary phone?

Same associate today:

I assume she doesn't even know what that is.

Same associate today:

I assume she doesn't even know what that is.
Or this.

You shut your mouth

I recently turned 60 and thankfully have no pain on a regular basis. I started running last year and it took a little time to get the kinks out but that's the last pain I can remember. I know it'll happen eventually but so far, so good.

You shut your mouth

I recently turned 60 and thankfully have no pain on a regular basis. I started running last year and it took a little time to get the kinks out but that's the last pain I can remember. I know it'll happen eventually but so far, so good.
Great to see people doing well into their 60’s!

You shut your mouth

No offense taken. I was just messing with you.

I don’t really have unexplained pain. The pain I have is generally associated with what I do. I work on my feet and sometimes my feet hurt. when I was drinking more, I had more inflammation and It was worse. The biggest difference is recovery. It takes longer and is real. As you know, I’m very active and I think that really helps. I don’t mind being sore from physical activity. In fact I actually sort of enjoy it because it means I can still move. :lmao:

I started to notice decline in my physical ability when I was around 47. It was at that point that I got really into the gym and working out regularly. I would say that I’m in better shape now then I was at 47 stronger more flexible and better cardiovascular.
when I was still working, I had to take an Alleve every morning before I left for work for the pain in my feet. since retiring I don't need anything. life is good.

I went to high school in the early 80s and still listen to those bands today. Then it dawned on me that the equivalent distance in elapsed time would have been similar to big band music that came out in World War II.
This always gets me. Was telling my 6yo about Norwood's wide right and crying about it. The equivalent football game was Unitas's Greatest Game Ever Played.

LOL. Same.

Back in the very late 90's / early 2000's, when bleached blonde hair was a big thing, I tried doing that. It turned out orange. :bag:
Dang, didn't know Greg Brady was on this board.

LOL. Same.

Who's Greg Brady?...lol

LOL. Same.

Who's Greg Brady?...lol
The original Johnny Bravo.

You shut your mouth

Mine started in my mid 40s, but that's mainly due to psoriatic arthritis, which then leads to my ability to do much exercise. Really just walking and yoga. :kicksrock:

For me it probably started around 48-ish. That being said I am out of shape but I was quite active in my youth. My elbow is pretty much shot (floating bone chips, arthritis) from pitching/throwing so much in my life. I can remember weeks when I was coaching HS baseball where I was throwing BP every day to 20 batters a day with at least 15-20 pitches per batter.

I also dislocated my shoulder sliding head first and the shoulder still has issues (ended up with a torn labrum and had surgery). Tore my achilles playing basketball when I was 40 and I can still feel the affects of that. My right knee seems to be getting worse as after two days of walking around Disneyland last week it seems swollen and sore until I can loosen it up a bit.

I think the time that general soreness comes on for you will be somewhat tied to how active and many injuries you had in your youth. If you were hard on your body growing up you will feel it in your old age.

Luckily for me the one thing that seems to ok compared to some friends is my back. I have never really had any true back issues (knock on wood).

For me it probably started around 48-ish. That being said I am out of shape but I was quite active in my youth. My elbow is pretty much shot (floating bone chips, arthritis) from pitching/throwing so much in my life. I can remember weeks when I was coaching HS baseball where I was throwing BP every day to 20 batters a day with at least 15-20 pitches per batter.

I also dislocated my shoulder sliding head first and the shoulder still has issues (ended up with a torn labrum and had surgery). Tore my achilles playing basketball when I was 40 and I can still feel the affects of that. My right knee seems to be getting worse as after two days of walking around Disneyland last week it seems swollen and sore until I can loosen it up a bit.

I think the time that general soreness comes on for you will be somewhat tied to how active and many injuries you had in your youth. If you were hard on your body growing up you will feel it in your old age.

Luckily for me the one thing that seems to ok compared to some friends is my back. I have never really had any true back issues (knock on wood).
Agree with this.

Although I was always was doing stuff as a kid (mostly biking and “pick-up” sports), I didn’t realize my (limited) athletic potential until late 30s/early 40s. Seems like many people I know who were competitive athletes in HS/college destroyed their joints in the process.

I just got over a bulging disc after 4 weeks of pain and immobility because I basically sat in my chair wrong for a day.

I haven't ran in a month and don't know when I'll have the guts to try and play basketball again, if ever.

All of the years of playing sports like I was invincible are catching up with me...fast.

I just got over a bulging disc after 4 weeks of pain and immobility because I basically sat in my chair wrong for a day.

I haven't ran in a month and don't know when I'll have the guts to try and play basketball again, if ever.

All of the years of playing sports like I was invincible are catching up with me...fast.
I didn't start to feel old until the 2 discs in my back have been killing me for a year. Finally found a helpful therapy

don't know when I'll have the guts to try and play basketball again, if ever.
I wouldn't go back to basketball.....at least running, start, stop, etc. Shoot arounds. Maybe a bit of one on one with someone similar where you know you won't go full out but even then you will eventually snap something. It's just a hard sport on joints. I know I will never go back.

Everytime I feel a sneeze coming on now, and that little voice in the back of mind speaks up and makes me wonder if this will be the sneeze that locks my back up for good and leaves me paralyzed.

Sneezing shouldn't hurt.
Not laughing at you, I'm laughing WITH you. :mellow:

Users who are viewing this thread