What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who will be the hot week 1 add? (2 Viewers)

Boston said:
Frisman Jackson is the poster-boy for this...he went 8-128-1 week 1 in 2005 and ended his career 40-490-1...the biggest week 1 addition of all time was Kurt Warner in 1999...gotta believe about 75% of the owners who picked him up after week 1 were distraught Vinny Testaverde owners who lost him after his season-ending injury ...to this day that is still the single biggest free agent transaction I have ever seen in fantasy football.
2012 Alfred Morris was pretty amazing too. Probably not 1999 Warner levels, but he was a top-5 player that year. 

DeVonta Smith

Wayne Gallman - Mike Davis can't be the best man in a whorehouse with a fist full of $50s. please stop the insanity with this dogsled.

Sterling Sheperd

Jerrick McKinnon - it's too bad many of you believe in John Averageman CEH. rumors are already swirling that Reid wants to get McKinnon some more action. is this a full blown RBBC now? I don't trust CEH to stay on as the RB1 in this offense. It's like the Chiefs dont have mirrors, because they need to take a hard look at themselves and realize CEH isnt very good.

Pittman

long dart throw - Chris Herndon

TE landscape is barren so this is a long-shot opening-week potential wire darling.

TE Blake Bell KC

Heard the Chiefs are going to use a ton of multiple TE sets Sunday. 

Kelce will get his but he'll be draped in double coverage so Blake's 'bell' could get wrung near the GL.

I heard that they will even run some '14' personnel so 4 TEs will be on the field at any time forcing the defense to play-up.  Supposedly ALL of their TEs are said to have 'soft hands' so Mahomes will be looking to take advantage.

I expect more TE targets and its 'possible' that Bell is the beneficiary.
Gray is the other TE to own out of Duke. He's got the goods. 

Gray is the other TE to own out of Duke. He's got the goods. 
Yep - he had the preseason buzz, and I’ve read some describe him as the “heir apparent” to Kelce, but beat writers say a lot of things when they’re trying to fill columns. I took Gray late in the rookie draft. I didn’t get to see much of him in preseason, unfortunately. 

jobarules said:
My apologies I had no clue he was taken in 80% of leagues. Guess my league is a fluke.
RE: Gronk - Nobody took him in my league either.  Although 14 other TE's were drafted.

We are a "pass catcher" league - i.e. TE and WR are the same position - so generally I only target the top 6 tight ends and if I don't get any of them I ignore the position.  I have no idea why so many other fairly pedestrian TE's got drafted but Gronk didn't.  Last year I didn't carry a TE all year, this year I did pick up Kyle Pitts in the fifth round.

Boston said:
Frisman Jackson is the poster-boy for this...he went 8-128-1 week 1 in 2005 and ended his career 40-490-1...the biggest week 1 addition of all time was Kurt Warner in 1999...gotta believe about 75% of the owners who picked him up after week 1 were distraught Vinny Testaverde owners who lost him after his season-ending injury ...to this day that is still the single biggest free agent transaction I have ever seen in fantasy football.

Those week 1 FA pickups can really bolster a roster...sometimes it's not just blow-up stats but seeing some sneaky usage that may bode well for later in the season...last year I noticed seeing Gaskin get 9 carries and 4 receptions in week 1 for 66 total yards...nothing earth-shattering but enough to be worthy of a pick-up and it paid off decently...this year a few guys I think worth watching are Chris Evans, Josh Palmer (I am very high on him), Quintez Cephus, Kylin Hill, Quez Watkins, Elijah Mitchell, JJ Taylor, Larry Rountree, Alex Collins and Kylen Granson...again, I am looking more at usage on these guys not putting up big stats...obviously some of these guys are long-shots but if you see any of them get a decent amount of touches in week 1 that may bode well for fantasy relevance going forward. 
Anquan Boldin putting up 10-217-2 in his first game in the league made him the #1 waiver wire claim in almost every fantasy league in 2003.

Hard to get excited about any WR on that team without Watson.
We’ll yeah, there’s a reason(s) he’s only like 2% owned. But, he had a good camp, and has a decent matchup. Not a lot of competition for targets, outside of Cooks. I’m not at all saying he’s going to burst on the scene and be a plug and play starter for fantasy teams this year, but I wouldn’t be shocked if he has a nice game today. 

We’ll yeah, there’s a reason(s) he’s only like 2% owned. But, he had a good camp, and has a decent matchup. Not a lot of competition for targets, outside of Cooks. I’m not at all saying he’s going to burst on the scene and be a plug and play starter for fantasy teams this year, but I wouldn’t be shocked if he has a nice game today. 
Definitely a good dynasty stash.  Who knows what their QB situation will be next year.

Ty Johnson…good line, coach that wants to run and run physically, he is the most physical and got called out after the final game by the coach for his physical play, the competition is open and he had a great camp, he’s young, the biggest back on the roster, good receiver and fast.  I liked the thought so much that I dropped Lindsay for him as a preventative sort of pickup.  It’s my last spot on the bench and I have 6 rb’s ahead of them and I realize that Lindsay likely has a higher floor but this may be the best last chance he has to get a good shot and he knows it.   

We’ll see how it works out….

Last edited by a moderator:
Anquan Boldin putting up 10-217-2 in his first game in the league made him the #1 waiver wire claim in almost every fantasy league in 2003.

That was a monster one but nothing compares to the impact Warner had going from someone no one had heard of to throwing 4353-41 which in 1999 felt like 8,000-75...his pick-up totally changed the dynamic of every league.

That was a monster one but nothing compares to the impact Warner had going from someone no one had heard of to throwing 4353-41 which in 1999 felt like 8,000-75...his pick-up totally changed the dynamic of every league.
The only difference that I remember was that in 1999 most owners already had a decent starting QB and were not running to the waiver wire for Warner. I seem to remember he didn't get claimed after Week 1 in a couple of my leagues. Obviously some did and he had a huge fantasy impact for a few years. But I remember EVERYONE wanted Boldin because I was in all start 3 WR plus a FLEX spot and some people felt he would be the next Randy Moss.

Warner, Marcus Robinson and Patrick Jeffers were all waiver wire guys that year, and they altered any league they were in.

The only difference that I remember was that in 1999 most owners already had a decent starting QB and were not running to the waiver wire for Warner. I seem to remember he didn't get claimed after Week 1 in a couple of my leagues. Obviously some did and he had a huge fantasy impact for a few years. But I remember EVERYONE wanted Boldin because I was in all start 3 WR plus a FLEX spot and some people felt he would be the next Randy Moss.

100% disagree...Testaverde (who was projected to have a big year) had a season-ending injury week 1 and after Warner threw for 309-3 in week 1 and a ton of Testaverde owners picked him up and were off to the races.

I'll add another - whomever the Indy WR is that Wentz is loving

Pittman i think is the obvious choice but .... Pascal or Campbell or even Stratchan

but someone will get 120-130 targets this season - and they'll be worth having on a fantasy team

100% disagree...Testaverde (who was projected to have a big year) had a season-ending injury week 1 and after Warner threw for 309-3 in week 1 and a ton of Testaverde owners picked him up and were off to the races.
You sort of proved my point. One owner likely needed a QB (and probably had several options to choose from). All 12 owners would be interested in a potentially league winning WR. I remember every league I was in either the #1 waiver claim took Boldin or a huge amount of blind bidding dollars were spent on Boldin (if not all of them). I am not disagreeing that Warner had a bigger impact that year (or in subsequent years). But in terms of "who was the hot Week 1 add" (which is what this thread is about), in my leagues, people were sacrificing their own children to get Boldin.

I'll add another - whomever the Indy WR is that Wentz is loving

Pittman i think is the obvious choice but .... Pascal or Campbell or even Stratchan

but someone will get 120-130 targets this season - and they'll be worth having on a fantasy team
Isn't Hilton only out for a few weeks? That adds another guy into the mix (meaning there may not be a clear WR1 this year). The last 3 seasons in PHI Wentz did not target a WR 100 times in any of those season.

Isn't Hilton only out for a few weeks? That adds another guy into the mix (meaning there may not be a clear WR1 this year). The last 3 seasons in PHI Wentz did not target a WR 100 times in any of those season.
Hilton was done last year, so I don't really care when / if he comes back.  He's just living on his name at this time.

Hilton was done last year, so I don't really care when / if he comes back.  He's just living on his name at this time.
I am not suggesting he will have a big role, that he's still a top WR, or that he will be BFF's with Wentz . . . only that he will get some targets. My overall point was not that Hilton would be "the guy" . . . it was debating if there was an IND WR that could see 130 targets this year.

I am not suggesting he will have a big role, that he's still a top WR, or that he will be BFF's with Wentz . . . only that he will get some targets. My overall point was not that Hilton would be "the guy" . . . it was debating if there was an IND WR that could see 130 targets this year.
I don't see a lot of targets to any particular WR this year, because the Colts want to run the ball and should have success giving who they have at RB, but more importantly the OL.  I do however believe Pittman will be their WR#1 with Campbell challenging that as well if he can stay healthy.  Pascal is just another WR.

I don't see a lot of targets to any particular WR this year, because the Colts want to run the ball and should have success giving who they have at RB, but more importantly the OL.  I do however believe Pittman will be their WR#1 with Campbell challenging that as well if he can stay healthy.  Pascal is just another WR.
I'll certainly defer to you about what the Colts will do. If Pittman turns out to be their primary WR, with regard to this thread (Who Will Be The Hot Week 1 Add), I think he will already be rostered and won't been a free agent in most fantasy leagues (ADP of 110).

You sort of proved my point. One owner likely needed a QB (and probably had several options to choose from). All 12 owners would be interested in a potentially league winning WR. I remember every league I was in either the #1 waiver claim took Boldin or a huge amount of blind bidding dollars were spent on Boldin (if not all of them). I am not disagreeing that Warner had a bigger impact that year (or in subsequent years). But in terms of "who was the hot Week 1 add" (which is what this thread is about), in my leagues, people were sacrificing their own children to get Boldin.

No I didn't...he was a hot pick-up but the Testaverde Owners had far more urgency as they needed him far more.

Warner, Marcus Robinson and Patrick Jeffers were all waiver wire guys that year, and they altered any league they were in.
Marcus Robinson and Olandis Gary helped me take down the guy who had Warner in our big money league that year. I also picked up Miami RB J.J. Johnson and used him in the Week 16 championship, where he had 100/TD. 

1999 was quite a unique year for finding gems that stick out in our minds...

Allen Hurns is another guy from a later year that comes to mind. Overlooked receiver in Week 1 with opportunity in a situation that might not be so obvious. In some respects it may be an apples to oranges comparison, but it wouldn't shock me to see Dyami Brown have a game

DeVonta Smith

Wayne Gallman - Mike Davis can't be the best man in a whorehouse with a fist full of $50s. please stop the insanity with this dogsled.

Sterling Sheperd

Jerrick McKinnon - it's too bad many of you believe in John Averageman CEH. rumors are already swirling that Reid wants to get McKinnon some more action. is this a full blown RBBC now? I don't trust CEH to stay on as the RB1 in this offense. It's like the Chiefs dont have mirrors, because they need to take a hard look at themselves and realize CEH isnt very good.

Pittman

long dart throw - Chris Herndon
For my flex, would you start Pittman or Sheppard?  Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread