What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

woot.com (1 Viewer)

WOOT OFF :yawn:

Kenmore Elite Seal-N-Save Vacuum Sealer

$14.99

+ $5 shipping

Condition:RefurbishedProduct:1 Kenmore 69024 Elite Seal-N-Save Vacuum Sealer

I can't believe Woot even still exists. It's been ages since they've either had something really interesting or had an awesome deal. Pathetic.

We have a purple one (no idea of the difference) and it has been great for the past 8 years we have had it. The wife seems to think its dying and wants a new one. I just think the thing is dirty and needs a good cleaning.
Ours was losing suction, and I thought we were going to have to replace it, but I googled how to clean out the filter and cyclone tubes, and once I did that, it was working like a champ again. There's some videos on Youtube I believe that show you how to clean it out.

I can't believe Woot even still exists. It's been ages since they've either had something really interesting or had an awesome deal. Pathetic.
Used to love woot. Haven't seen a great deal there in a while.
Wine Woot has some good food deals. I've gotten cheeses from there twice, dried apricots twice, and ordered some toffee the other day. :fatass:
That toffee (Brandini) was getting fantastic reviews from Wooters who'd ordered it before.The recipe is just butter and sugar, heated slowly while stirring until it turns toffee-colored, then topped with chocolate and sliced almonds. A mere four ingredients.

So I figured instead of buying it, I could make that myself — almost certainly using better butter and chocolate than they do.

The ratio of butter to sugar is 1:1 in most of the toffee recipes I found online.

My first batch was a total failure. I think I heated it too fast. It got syrupy for a while, which is good, but then the sugar separated back out and I got grainy fried sugar in a pool of thin melted butter.

I'll try again within the next few days. But it seems pretty simple, and can be made much more cheaply than Brandini sells it for, even when it's featured at woot. And when I get it right, I think the tasty grass-fed, deep yellow butter I use will make my toffee better than theirs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Used to love woot. Haven't seen a great deal there in a while.
Wine Woot has some good food deals. I've gotten cheeses from there twice, dried apricots twice, and ordered some toffee the other day. :fatass:
That toffee (Brandini) was getting fantastic reviews from Wooters who'd ordered it before.The recipe is just butter and sugar, heated slowly while stirring until it turns toffee-colored, then topped with chocolate and sliced almonds. A mere four ingredients.

So I figured instead of buying it, I could make that myself — almost certainly using better butter and chocolate than they do.

The ratio of butter to sugar is 1:1 in most of the toffee recipes I found online.

My first batch was a total failure. I think I heated it too fast. It got syrupy for a while, which is good, but then the sugar separated back out and I got grainy fried sugar in a pool of thin melted butter.

I'll try again within the next few days. But it seems pretty simple, and can be made much more cheaply than Brandini sells it for, even when it's featured at woot. And when I get it right, I think the tasty grass-fed, deep yellow butter I use will make my toffee better than theirs.
Great success!Brandini sells 1/4 pound of toffee for $6 at their website.

Using top-shelf ingredients, I made about 1.3 pounds of toffee for about $7.50 — and it came out fantastic. ($4 for 0.55 pounds of pastured butter; $2.50 for 3 oz premium dark chocolate; less than $1 for 1.1 cups of organic cane sugar; pennies for a few pinches of Himalayan pink salt. I'm not sure how much more it would cost to add almonds.)

What I did differently this time:

I used a cast-iron dutch oven instead of a cheapo saucepan, getting a more even heat distribution.

I added salt, since I used unsalted butter. (The Brandini kids list just four ingredients: butter, sugar, chocolate, and almonds. They don't say whether their butter is salted, but I suspect it is.)

I brought the temperature up much more slowly, starting it at low until the butter melted, then medium low as the sugar dissolved, then finally medium . . . instead of just going straight to medium.

It worked perfectly. The result is the best-tasting toffee I've had, a sentiment shared by the friends and family who tried it. (I haven't tasted Brandini, but it's probably not much different. Like them, I didn't use any water, corn syrup, or emulsifier — the main additives in most recipes on the internet. The main difference between Brandini's and mine is probably that I used better butter than they do.)

I'm going to do one more ordinary batch to make sure I have the process down; then after that . . . bacon toffee!!!

http://kids.woot.com/

1 Star Wars Limited Edition Tin Lunchbox with TIE Fighter & Millennium Falcon Sandwich Cutters

even with the shipping more than the cost of the item itself, I had to get this for my son.

$4.99 for a lunchbox and 2 sandwich cutters is pretty good though. I wonder if one could make Star Wars Christmas cookies with those bad boys as well?

'Skipdog77 said:
http://kids.woot.com/1 Star Wars Limited Edition Tin Lunchbox with TIE Fighter & Millennium Falcon Sandwich Cutterseven with the shipping more than the cost of the item itself, I had to get this for my son.$4.99 for a lunchbox and 2 sandwich cutters is pretty good though. I wonder if one could make Star Wars Christmas cookies with those bad boys as well?
Oh wow, good call on the Christmas cookies. It would just about be worth it for that alone. :nerd:

Great success!Brandini sells 1/4 pound of toffee for $6 at their website.

Using top-shelf ingredients, I made about 1.3 pounds of toffee for about $7.50 — and it came out fantastic. ($4 for 0.55 pounds of pastured butter; $2.50 for 3 oz premium dark chocolate; less than $1 for 1.1 cups of organic cane sugar; pennies for a few pinches of Himalayan pink salt. I'm not sure how much more it would cost to add almonds.)

What I did differently this time:

I used a cast-iron dutch oven instead of a cheapo saucepan, getting a more even heat distribution.

I added salt, since I used unsalted butter. (The Brandini kids list just four ingredients: butter, sugar, chocolate, and almonds. They don't say whether their butter is salted, but I suspect it is.)

I brought the temperature up much more slowly, starting it at low until the butter melted, then medium low as the sugar dissolved, then finally medium . . . instead of just going straight to medium.

It worked perfectly. The result is the best-tasting toffee I've had, a sentiment shared by the friends and family who tried it. (I haven't tasted Brandini, but it's probably not much different. Like them, I didn't use any water, corn syrup, or emulsifier — the main additives in most recipes on the internet. The main difference between Brandini's and mine is probably that I used better butter than they do.)

I'm going to do one more ordinary batch to make sure I have the process down; then after that . . . bacon toffee!!!
I have the Brandini in the fridge at home. Send me a pound of yours and I'll give an unbiased comparison. I have a cast iron chicken fryer and a 12" cast iron pan (both Lodge) and a Le Crueset dutch oven...if I was to try this, which should I use?

I have a cast iron chicken fryer and a 12" cast iron pan (both Lodge) and a Le Crueset dutch oven...if I was to try this, which should I use?
I don't know what a chicken fryer looks like, but I think a dutch oven would work better than a pan because it's easier to stir/fold the stuff if it's not so shallow.

Users who are viewing this thread