What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Adam Thielen - CAR (1 Viewer)

I originally really wanted him week 14 vs the Lions. But now don’t know if I can trust. My first WR drafted, but Godwin, Sutton and Parker are ahead of him for sure and maybe Gallup. May be perma benched 
No way Gallup is above him provided Thielen proves healthy and gets through a game with no issues.  Thielen was great this year while on the field.

i love the guy and have as my #2 in dyno, but i fear he may fade into wr3/4 oblivion next year.

holding, but thats my gut feeling right now.

grateful zed said:
i love the guy and have as my #2 in dyno, but i fear he may fade into wr3/4 oblivion next year.

Any reasoning behind this?  He was WR8 through the first 6 games, before going out while catching a TD pass in week 7.  The previous 2 seasons he was WR7 & WR8.  He pulls a hammy and you have him going from a WR1 to a maybe flex the following year?  What am I missing?

grateful zed said:

No reason at all to think this, though. He's excellent when healthy, not like he's regressed. 

And it's not like he just blew out his knee.  He pulled a muscle.

Thielen should return to normal production when his hamstring allows.

Any reasoning behind this?  He was WR8 through the first 6 games, before going out while catching a TD pass in week 7.  The previous 2 seasons he was WR7 & WR8.  He pulls a hammy and you have him going from a WR1 to a maybe flex the following year?  What am I missing?
Add me to another in the line of wondering why you think Thielen will drop off a cliff.   He was performing at elite levels until he pulled the hammie.  He should be fine next year with no lingering effects.  Everything should remain similar in Minnesota offense wise so there is no reason to believe he is done.  Why does your gut feel this way?

Add me too. I assume he’ll be fine next year. Diggs has been fairly productive but not dominant through Thielen’s absence, and a passing of the torch was a concern going into this season. Plus, Thielen is at an age where people start throwing dirt over players in dynasty, so if you have him I doubt you can get fair trade value. 

Add me too. I assume he’ll be fine next year. Diggs has been fairly productive but not dominant through Thielen’s absence, and a passing of the torch was a concern going into this season. Plus, Thielen is at an age where people start throwing dirt over players in dynasty, so if you have him I doubt you can get fair trade value. 
Got him for a late 2nd round pick, when he initially got hurt. He's probably even cheaper now. Felt like peanuts for a top-20 WR still in his prime.

• Smile
Reactions: DAG
Add me to another in the line of wondering why you think Thielen will drop off a cliff.   He was performing at elite levels until he pulled the hammie.  He should be fine next year with no lingering effects.  Everything should remain similar in Minnesota offense wise so there is no reason to believe he is done.  Why does your gut feel this way?
i have followed my gut for the last 25 years of ff with success.  not saying its defacto.

adam is nearing 30 years old, coverage will increase if diggs moves on, min is going to rely on cook/defense in the future, hammys tend to linger, he appeared out of nowhere a few years ago and teams have fully scouted him at this point, and cousins is having a good year, but i dont trust him fully.

i dont think his production with fall of a cliff, but will be reduced to mediocrity.

that's what i got.  :shrug:

Last edited by a moderator:
i have followed my gut for the last 25 years of ff with success.  not saying its defacto.

adam is nearing 30 years old, coverage will increase if diggs moves on, min is going to rely on cook/defense in the future, hammys tend to linger, he appeared out of nowhere a few years ago and teams have fully scouted him at this point, and cousins is having a good year, but i dont trust him fully.

i dont think his production with fall of a cliff, but will be reduced to mediocrity.

Just based on age its possible.

Adam Theilen wins with good route running, change of direction at the top of his routes to get separation, good body control and solid hands.

I don't think these skills deteriorate because of age, actually the opposite, the athleticism can fade and perhaps this is something his skills cannot overcome in the future, but I think we are a few more years away from that point.

I don't see any way that Diggs isn't with the Vikings, a team would have to offer a ton for them to consider trading him. He hasn't shined enough for that to happen in my opinion.

Vikings coach Mike Zimmer is not ruling out Adam Thielen (hamstring) for Sunday's game against the Lions.

"I think he’s got a good opportunity this week (to play), so we’ll see," Zimmer said Thursday. "He’s working really hard. He obviously wants to get out there with his guys. ... When he's ready, he's ready." Thielen has played just once since Week 7, but Zimmer said he hasn't had any recent setbacks. Despite Zimmer's optimistic language, Thielen's back-to-back DNPs on Wednesday/Thursday bode poorly for his odds of suiting up, especially in such an easily-winnable game.

SOURCE: Chris Tomasson on Twitter

Dec 5, 2019, 3:19 PM ET

grateful zed said:

Why would Diggs be moving on?  He just signed a contract extension this year if I recall.  Granted the dead money becomes tenable to release him in 2021, but Diggs will only be 27.  You think Minnesota would be trading him?  I suppose anything can happen but trying to predict roster moves like that two years down the line feels like a stretch. 

So glad I have Adams and Sutton with 3 startable RBs in Barkley, Jacobs and Carson.  

I'll have issues next year when Thielen is 100%.

A good problem to have though.

This is 7 weeks now.   reminds me of having Fred Taylor on my fantasy team years ago when he tore his groin muscle away from the bone and we would get updates like "Fred Taylor was able to put on his own socks today."   Even if he can play next week, I'm not risking the playoffs starting him and having him put up another 0.  

I'm thinking of just dropping him and making him someone else's problem.

Yea sucks, I just dropped TY for the same reason.  I really coulda been something with those guys on top of Lamar and CMC.

Vikings coach Mike Zimmer said there's "really no sense to push it" with Adam Thielen's injured hamstring.

"I think he’s getting really close, but there’s really no sense to push it," said Zimmer following Thursday's practice, which did not include Thielen. "We’ll see how it goes next week or, uh, tomorrow." The latter statement would indicate Thielen is in danger of missing his fourth straight game. Though Zimmer insists there's been no setback, Thielen doesn't seem to be making much progress in his recovery from a strained hamstring. With Thielen in doubt, look for Stefon Diggs, Bisi Johnson and a resurgent Kyle Rudolph to fill the Vikings' pass-catching void Sunday against Detroit.

SOURCE: Minneapolis Star-Tribune

Dec 6, 2019, 9:31 AM ET

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport confirms Adam Thielen (doubtful, hamstring) will not play Week 14 against the Lions.

Thielen will watch this one from the sidelines, marking his fifth absence in a six-game span. Despite being bothered by scar tissue in his leg, "all parties are optimistic" Thielen will be back in the saddle for next week's game in Los Angeles. In the interim, Stefon Diggs and Bisi Johnson will continue to serve as Minnesota's top receivers with tight end Kyle Rudolph also occupying an important role, particularly inside the red zone where his 6'6," 265-pound frame makes him a difficult assignment.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Dec 8, 2019, 9:21 AM ET

I'm not sure I will play him anyway.  Already burned by him pulling up lame in the first series the last time he tried to come back.

However, my threshold is:

If Chark doesn't play, I'll play Dede over him

If TY doesn't play, I'll play Pascal over him

If Gabriel doesn't play, I'll play Miller over him...

Otherwise I'll play him.

In a standard for me it’s 2 of Golladay, Thielen, Landry, and Gallup. Going Golladay and Landry as of now, safer floor

Adam Thielen (hamstring) participated in "all" the Vikings' individual drills on Thursday.

Per reporter Jeff Wald, it was as close to "game speed" as Thielen has been in practice in recent weeks. Thielen figures to be slapped with another "limited" tag, but the preponderance of evidence suggests he will finally be ready to return. We should have a good idea by Friday. This is unlikely to be a game-time decision type of situation.

SOURCE: Jeff Wald on Twitter

Dec 12, 2019, 1:45 PM ET

I'm sticking by my stance that he needs to get in a full game unscathed before he starts. Parker in unless he's ruled out. 

Adam Thielen caught all three of his targets for 27 yards in the Vikings' Week 15 win over the Chargers.

It was Thielen's first action since Week 9 but the first time he's been truly healthy since pulling his hamstring in Week 7 against the Lions. The numbers don't look great on paper, but Minnesota didn't have to throw the ball in this easy blowout win, as Kirk Cousins attempted just five passes after halftime. Thielen will be a WR2 next week at home against the rival Packers.

Adam Thielen (hamstring) is absent from the Vikings' Week 16 injury report.

Thielen played just 33-of-65 snaps in his Week 15 return, but he avoided setbacks and appears to be ready for more. With just one catch since Week 6, Thielen is a risky proposition for the fantasy finals but offers undeniable upside as a risk/reward WR2.

Dec 19, 2019, 5:43 PM ET

Didn’t he just have 3 catches last week?
3-3, 27 yards. Chargers turned it over 7 times so Cousins threw it a whopping 5 times in the second half. Perfect prep for his breakout on MNF vs Packers. Typically owns them. Will win some fantasy championships if you drafted him and still made it

Now thinking of benching John Brown for Theilen due to Gilmore...I wanted the generally high floor of Brown this week for his 12ish points but now I'm thinking the matchup is ugly, and if I trust Theilen that's the way to go. 

If he practices fully all week it will be tough to bench him honestly...I had just stopped including him in my thought process until someone reminded me about Brown/Gilmore. 

Anyone else facing similar decisions? 

Little nervous playing him for the first time (in the Championship) since he pulled up lame but I got no choice.  Lets rock!

Users who are viewing this thread