What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Bryan Edwards, LV (1 Viewer)

If he can’t coexist. This means he isn’t an alpha. He will exist or not. My guess is he will begin to accelerate. But, I admit that this is just a gut feel based on film study and zero knowledge of coaching preferences. 
Aside from quasi metaphysical questions of what he is or isn't, the bottom line for me is that Renfrow commands enough targets to be in his way. Because unless his acceleration makes a quantum leap, Waller is and will continue to be the alpha. But I do think we can expect some big games from Edwards.

Aside from quasi metaphysical questions of what he is or isn't, the bottom line for me is that Renfrow commands enough targets to be in his way. Because unless his acceleration makes a quantum leap, Waller is and will continue to be the alpha. But I do think we can expect some big games from Edwards.
Fine enough. You say that is your bottom line. And I agree if so. But I chose to invest for longer haul. 

Fine enough. You say that is your bottom line. And I agree if so. But I chose to invest for longer haul. 
Well it's only my bottom line in terms of whether I would start him *this* week. I have a ton of Edwards across many dynasty leagues and am certainly holding. And hopeful. I like what I see from him. Just not the short term situation.

Waller, renfro, ruggs, drake, jacobs (him too)….there are so many mouths to feed

Edwards looks good…I see upside here, but I also see potential to get lost in a sea of options a lot of the time….

Waller, renfro, ruggs, drake, jacobs (him too)….there are so many mouths to feed

Edwards looks good…I see upside here, but I also see potential to get lost in a sea of options a lot of the time….

In the end it is really only Waller Waller Waller Walller.

Then Renfro 3rd down.

Going back to last seaosn, I'd have to add the 4th Waller back into it.

Seems dubious to go back to when Ruggs and Edwards were hurt Covid rookies.

Your Waller or bust narrative was true for the first three quarters of this season, but hasn't been since. Not even close. DW is most definitely still the #1, but Carr has been spreading his wings. Wide.

Your Waller or bust narrative was true for the first three quarters of this season, but hasn't been since. Not even close. DW is most definitely still the #1, but Carr has been spreading his wings. Wide.
Waller is the main target but Carr does spread the ball around to others.  The problem for Edwards is that there is a handful of others that are receiving targets.  

Carr Consistently goes to Edwards when the game is on the line ,thats trust in his abilities. I see only better things for him as the season rolls on.

After losing AJ, Jeudy, Shepherd, forced to start him. 😑 

Hoping for a couple of great plays, expecting nothing.

There are maybe a handful of plays each game where he isn't looking to Waller first, then checking for him again, before going elsewhere.

And that certainly isn't a knock on Carr.  I didn't know I had a narrative, makes me feel super important.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are maybe a handful of plays each game where he isn't looking to Waller first, then checking for him again, before going elsewhere.

And that certainly isn't a knock on Carr.  I didn't know I had a narrative, makes me feel super important.
It's only three games but the Raiders target distribution so far this season is significantly different than 2019 & 2020.

The talent may be there, but the same trend remains of seemingly not enough opportunity with all the other options.

Unless you’re in a dynasty league, hard to hold on to him - just seems to be a roster clogger for the foreseeable future.

The talent may be there, but the same trend remains of seemingly not enough opportunity with all the other options.

Unless you’re in a dynasty league, hard to hold on to him - just seems to be a roster clogger for the foreseeable future.
Exactly.  Waller is the only player that Carr targets every game.  Renfrow is likely going to be the next most consistently targeted but he doesn’t rank up many yards most weeks.  

yea I am carrying him and ruggs and it cost me sanders last week...i feel like it's time to cut bait here

Cut him in re-draft a couple weeks ago in a 14-team / 6 bench.   Having him in dynasty helped me to pull the trigger, but I'm actually starting to question if he's a better stash than adding another RB lotto ticket.   I'm pretty sure the answer is yes based on what he has flashed, but clearly there's some deficiency here beyond Carr really likes Waller and Renfrow.

What is it?   Is this just a case where we have a big man that can't get separation, combined with a QB that won't throw it up for him to make a play unless the game is on the line in OT or late in the 4th?  That along with Waller, Renfrow, and a fomer 1st rounder?   If that's the case, are we waiting for a scenery change?   Or do we eventually expect Edwards to toss Renfrow aside and Ruggs to flame out?    I really don't see any reason to believe that either of those happens in a substantial way.

If Carr hadn't ridiculously overthrown him last week on 4th and 5, he'd have been off to the races with nothing but open field.

Edwards seems like someone who has the opportunity to blow up soon. Like so many of those players who have “just missed” moments. These first 5 weeks have seen a TD called back, an overthrow, and some other minor plays that would make the difference between a startable player and someone sitting on your bench doing nothing. 

the problem here, simply, is volume. The difference between edwards and , say, mclaurin, is one sees 3 targets and the other sees 10+. What gets edwards to 10 targets?  Likely only an injury to renfrow. 

Edwards seems like someone who has the opportunity to blow up soon. Like so many of those players who have “just missed” moments. These first 5 weeks have seen a TD called back, an overthrow, and some other minor plays that would make the difference between a startable player and someone sitting on your bench doing nothing. 

the problem here, simply, is volume. The difference between edwards and , say, mclaurin, is one sees 3 targets and the other sees 10+. What gets edwards to 10 targets?  Likely only an injury to renfrow. 
Nothing.

Blick said:
Well it’s not a Waller problem. 
Good to see him find the end zone.   He's doing just enough that I can justify keeping him around for the remainder of the season to see if he can get that big breakout game complete with target share, but he's not going to make my 19-man  keeper list at this pace.

Aside from the fact that there are plenty of mouths (and yes even Moreau is one heck of a backup option to plug in for Waller), I think it's a lack of separation and an unwillingness on the part of Carr to throw balls up for him.

It's hard to ignore the fact that the in-game results look like that of a 3rd round WR.   At some point I will probably need to start judging him accordingly instead of living on the Devante Adams 2.0 camp hype.   Doesn't mean he can't ascend to the level of a flex level WR, but I shoot for high upside with these WR bench stashes.

Good to see him find the end zone.   He's doing just enough that I can justify keeping him around for the remainder of the season to see if he can get that big breakout game complete with target share, but he's not going to make my 19-man  keeper list at this pace.

Aside from the fact that there are plenty of mouths (and yes even Moreau is one heck of a backup option to plug in for Waller), I think it's a lack of separation and an unwillingness on the part of Carr to throw balls up for him.

It's hard to ignore the fact that the in-game results look like that of a 3rd round WR.   At some point I will probably need to start judging him accordingly instead of living on the Devante Adams 2.0 camp hype.   Doesn't mean he can't ascend to the level of a flex level WR, but I shoot for high upside with these WR bench stashes.
He'll need multiple injuries to sustain 6-8 targets at least. But with multiple injuries, the offense is going to downgrade. So, pick your poison. lol

I picked him up and streamed him as a WR3 and he delivered, but he's going back to waivers ROS in a 12 teamer. Too much has to go his way to get targets. 

Picking him up for free this morning. Seems like those of you who already had him in redraft were on the fence with keeping him before Ruggs’ incident. Looks like he was in the 4-6 target range before. Is it safe to assume we see that maybe go to 6-8?

• Smile
Reactions: Hoh
Also couldn't resist scooping him for free in redraft, but I can't imagine I will have a lot of patience if there isn't a clear and immediate uptick in targets and production.  It's now or never.   No Ruggs and and a WR friendly schedule down the stretch.   I'm fully expecting a Smokey Brown or De-Jax signing today, but they shouldn't matter if Bryan Edwards is ever going to matter.   There are no more excuses.   Get open, get targets, catch balls.   

From the little bit of LVR I have watched whenever they have been featured in primetime or on RedZone, I have come away very impressed with Bryan Edwards and have been surprised that his stats haven't been even better than when you just glance at box scores and yearly totals. 

-It's a terrible thing that happened but part of this game is foreshadowing upcoming trends and being one step ahead if that's possible. Edwards is still sitting around in a few of my redraft leagues and I am thinking about making him last guy on my bench for a few weeks BUT the Vegas offense is very unpredictable outside of Darren Waller maybe. 

I like Edwards and think the team can rally around him as one of their top receivers along with Renfroe and Waller and maybe a little Drake at tailback and now you got Carr pulling the strings, there's added emphasis for this kid to accelerate the learning curve the rest of this season and I hope he does. 

Picking him up for free this morning. Seems like those of you who already had him in redraft were on the fence with keeping him before Ruggs’ incident. Looks like he was in the 4-6 target range before. Is it safe to assume we see that maybe go to 6-8?
No.

It's only 5 targets/game, those could be lost due to being less efficient without Ruggs. They could run a little more, throw a few more screens, Waller probably gets a small bump and Zay Jones probably gets more PT.

I think Edwards may be in line for one more target per game.

That being said this week he may see a bigger bump. I think it's possible the Raiders try to demonstrate to the rest of the league that they will still throw it deep often. If Edwards performs then maybe we start to see a little more to him going forward.

I think Edwards may be in line for one more target per game ...

If Edwards performs then maybe we start to see a little more to him going forward.

I agree with this, but with a major expounding of the second sentence -

One or both of Edwards and Zay Jones are going to get extra looks in the next week or three. If either runs with those extra looks and makes plays, a self-reinforcing feedback mechanism could take hold, leading to more and more looks. I think the upside in such a scenario is fantasy WR1 production if one of these two gains momentum and takes full reins. Not saying that's likely, but it is within the realm of reasonable probability. If I were in need of a starting WR, I'd grab one or both of these dudes for the next month. I think Edwards gets the first opps, but oddly enough, my fantasy gut is leaning Zay - in a Nelson Agholor 2020-like ascension.

One or both of Edwards and Zay Jones are going to get extra looks in the next week or three. If either runs with those extra looks and makes plays, a self-reinforcing feedback mechanism could take hold, leading to more and more looks. I think the upside in such a scenario is fantasy WR1 production if one of these two gains momentum and takes full reins. Not saying that's likely, but it is within the realm of reasonable probability. If I were in need of a starting WR, I'd grab one or both of these dudes for the next month. I think Edwards gets the first opps, but oddly enough, my fantasy gut is leaning Zay - in a Nelson Agholor 2020-like ascension.
I don't think #1 WR upside is reasonable probability. #2 upside maybe. Flex is reasonable probability.

This is precisely my thinking as well,i get that Waller and Renfrow have cemented rolls and will be fed on a regular, BUT  Carr already likes and trusts both Zay and Edwards . Who knows how Greg Olsen will use these guys without Gruden in the way ,we havent really seen enough in the last 2 games, coming out of the bye and taking Ruggs situation into consideration ,im assuming Olsen has sat down with the WR corp and told them they HAVE to step up and they will be given every chance to do so .

I've been holding him all year and drafted him based on his ability, but like much of the others drafted that way, there seems to be a disconnect between ability and his QB actually throwing him the ball.  Most of Edwards catches seem to happen late in games or Overtime.  He performs when called upon, but he isn't the primary (or secondary, or tertiary) player on most reads.

If you considered the pecking order before to be 1) Waller, 2) Renfrow, 3) Ruggs, 4) the RB, and then 5) edwards the hope will (should) be that he moves up to 3 with a shot at 2 depending on Carr.  If Zay in inserted into the lineup to take the ruggs spot then this will not be his year, and he will stay, at best, the #4 option for this team.  Talent wise he is behind Waller, but if Carr doesn't look his way, talent dont mean anything.

I've been holding him all year and drafted him based on his ability, but like much of the others drafted that way, there seems to be a disconnect between ability and his QB actually throwing him the ball.  Most of Edwards catches seem to happen late in games or Overtime.  He performs when called upon, but he isn't the primary (or secondary, or tertiary) player on most reads.

If you considered the pecking order before to be 1) Waller, 2) Renfrow, 3) Ruggs, 4) the RB, and then 5) edwards the hope will (should) be that he moves up to 3 with a shot at 2 depending on Carr.  If Zay in inserted into the lineup to take the ruggs spot then this will not be his year, and he will stay, at best, the #4 option for this team.  Talent wise he is behind Waller, but if Carr doesn't look his way, talent dont mean anything.
Isn’t it a given that Zay will be inserted for Ruggs in the lineup barring a signing since Renfrow is best in the slot?

Isn’t it a given that Zay will be inserted for Ruggs in the lineup barring a signing since Renfrow is best in the slot?
Well yes, but what will the game plan be now?  Ruggs was there to take  off a defense. 

per twitter 

Vic Tafur

@VicTafur

Still not that ready to talk football yet, but I did share this with Sarah and Fitz: Greg Olson might be even higher on Zay Jones than Jon Gruden and Derek Carr.

Gatorman said:
Well yes, but what will the game plan be now?  Ruggs was there to take  off a defense. 
If I’m Carr, I hope this lights a fire for Edwards to step up and encourage a shift in game plan out of necessity. In a league where I’ve got three flex spots, I’m willing to gamble as soon as this week against some 30ish ranked RBs. But I understand taking a wait-and-see approach. 

Users who are viewing this thread