What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Bryan Edwards, LV (1 Viewer)

Bryan Edwards and/or Hunter Renfrow, Las Vegas Raiders at NY Giants

The tragedy surrounding Henry Ruggs III is likely to shake this team to its core, especially on the heels of its recent head coaching change. Non-football related factors are leading me to consider this pick with a little caution. The Raiders are also traveling to the East Coast for this 1:00 ET game. So, it could be a total disaster…but if there is a silver lining to be found, it may be for Edwards and Renfrow. Edwards is the de facto big play guy with Ruggs gone, while Renfrow may see even more underneath targets than usual. He’s not a bargain, but if Darren Waller is back for this game, he could have one of his superstar games for us.

per NBCsportsedge

ZADO said:
This is precisely my thinking as well,i get that Waller and Renfrow have cemented rolls and will be fed on a regular, BUT  Carr already likes and trusts both Zay and Edwards . Who knows how Greg Olsen will use these guys without Gruden in the way ,we havent really seen enough in the last 2 games, coming out of the bye and taking Ruggs situation into consideration ,im assuming Olsen has sat down with the WR corp and told them they HAVE to step up and they will be given every chance to do so .

ryno1980 said:
Isn’t it a given that Zay will be inserted for Ruggs in the lineup barring a signing since Renfrow is best in the slot?
Well, I read in the Raiders thread that the Raiders are only carrying three WRs ATM. I doubt a fourth comes in and contributes as anything other than an emergency body to throw in there. I think all three will see a high % of snaps. I don't know how that translates onto the stat sheet though.

Maybe if they bring in Snead or John Brown who already are familiar with the offense that moves the needle a little.

ryno1980 said:
Isn’t it a given that Zay will be inserted for Ruggs in the lineup barring a signing since Renfrow is best in the slot?
Zay doesnt have the skill or speed Ruggs had. Fools gold

Edwards is the presumptive option to fill Rugg's role, to the best of his ability. He's fast and has been getting downfield a lot this year. He hasn't had Rugg's efficiency on those contested deep balls but he's been solid.

Whether or not he can manage that without Ruggs pulling the safeties his direction remains to be seen.

I do think the Raiders will make every attempt to establish Edwards in that blow the top of defenses role so I expect 2-3 deep shots to him on Sunday. What happens after that depends on how Edwards performs.

Edwards is the presumptive option to fill Rugg's role, to the best of his ability. He's fast and has been getting downfield a lot this year. He hasn't had Rugg's efficiency on those contested deep balls but he's been solid.

Whether or not he can manage that without Ruggs pulling the safeties his direction remains to be seen.

I do think the Raiders will make every attempt to establish Edwards in that blow the top of defenses role so I expect 2-3 deep shots to him on Sunday. What happens after that depends on how Edwards performs.
The thing ive noticed about Edwards is his inability to create seperation from who ever is covering him,he hardly ever wide open ,like Renfrow or Waller usually are . He still makes some great catches in traffic but they are never those over the top and gone type of catches  

The thing ive noticed about Edwards is his inability to create seperation from who ever is covering him,he hardly ever wide open ,like Renfrow or Waller usually are . He still makes some great catches in traffic but they are never those over the top and gone type of catches  

I have the same impression. Edwards is strong at contested catches, but not strong at setting up uncontested catches.

The more I think about it, the more I am convinced that at least for now, we see Zay plugged right into the Ruggs role, with everything else left the same.  Zay has a very underrated and well-rounded skill set and is entering his athletic and professional prime after a very rough career start. 

:popcorn:

Completely over this guy in dynasty.   Didn't watch the game.   Probably a case where the box score is enough.   

What's the latest excuse for why this physical specimen wasn't able to catch a ball in come-from-behind mode against the Giants with Ruggs off the team?   Of course he makes this final definitive statement just as the Donovan People-Jones train has left the depot.   OBJ or De-Jax signing couldn't make more sense.

Very disappointing day for anyone who took a position on him based on the situation that unfolded last week in Las Vegas. 

Edwards was being hyped for a big day and is held without a catch on 4 targets, road game in New York and the entire team looked deflated for most of the day. 

Either perhaps he's just really not that good, or maybe he's the type that takes 3-4 years to figure it out.  Maybe isn't a good route runner, maybe he and Carr just don't have chemistry ala Baker/OBJ.  Whichever, it doesn't seem to be happening for him this year.  He has a lot of things going for him other WRs don't - good team, good QB, opportunities, so you can't blame that.

Maybe next year.

Either perhaps he's just really not that good, or maybe he's the type that takes 3-4 years to figure it out.  Maybe isn't a good route runner, maybe he and Carr just don't have chemistry ala Baker/OBJ.  Whichever, it doesn't seem to be happening for him this year.  He has a lot of things going for him other WRs don't - good team, good QB, opportunities, so you can't blame that.

Maybe next year.
He didn’t accomplish a lot in college if memory serves.  He was overhyped coming into the league.

I'm definitely holding in dynasty. In fact, just a couple weeks ago, he barely won out in my drop decision (dropped Marquez Callaway instead), yet now I'm much less inclined to drop him, even after the dud game. Ruggs was his main threat to put a tight cap on his usage, and Ruggs is still gone. Anyone can have a dud game anytime. (My biased and far-from-expert opinion based on nothing but stat lines.)

Maybe next year.
Maybe next game.  Maybe three games from now.  

DeJax -vs- Edwards ROS production.   Who ya got?
Djax has one trick. He's still good at that trick. It he only has go routes. He's not running anything over the middle, short or even outs. All go or nothing. So if you're looking for a home run every 3rd game, Djax is your man. 

Djax has one trick. He's still good at that trick. It he only has go routes. He's not running anything over the middle, short or even outs. All go or nothing. So if you're looking for a home run every 3rd game, Djax is your man. 
I think durability is the big question mark on De-Jax, otherwise I think he takes it if he stays healthy.

It's kind of the same reason I think I'm ready to shift to DPJ as my WR stash over Edwards (if I'm able to win that bid tonight).   Peoples-Jones has also been a feast or famine homerun hitter.    But DPJ's splash games go for 15-20 points, while Edwards' splash games are amounting to double digit fantasy points.   I also think Edwards has had the better opportunity to grab a larger role, at least based on snap share.   DPJ is really just starting to get his full-time shot.

I still think Edwards is a decent stash depending on roster size.   I just don't see any way where he makes my top-19 keeper list next season at this rate of progression.   What is he doing that's going to make the Raiders say, Renfrow and Edwards as the future at WR, we're good.   It seems like a certainty that a big-time free agent or an early draft pick will be coming in.    Renfrow will have his role when that happens.  It's probably not a bad idea to give him a couple more weeks given the circumstances of the team, but I don't know how there's any cause for optimism that this turns around in 2021. 

By no means am I saying Edwards will amount to anything... I'm souring a bit also. However, for the sake of conversation, there was at one point a commonly accepted 3rd year rule for late blooming physical specimens. Davante Adams was in a pretty favorable system, and his year 2 stats were: 50 recs  483 yds  9.7 YPC  1 TD. I have no idea if Edwards has flaws so significant that he can't succeed. However, his first year was a lost year, and you'd have to think he's learning something this year since he's had his moments when targeted.

I wrote this in the Raiders thread as well but, for those of us who DID watch the whole game, none of those 4 targets were really catchable balls. Carr had an off game for sure. As a Raiders fan (and Edwards dynasty owner in only 1 league) I was actually encouraged by the number of times he was targeted in the first game after the Ruggs debacle and I look forward to seeing what the rest of the year holds for this kid. 

We have a high water mark of 6 targets (once) and 4 receptions (once) so far.   Can we agree that those are going to have to be smashed in the next handful of weeks if he's going to have any chance of sticking as a starting WR in 2022?

It's a comp that probably shouldn't be a comp anymore, but for the early struggles of Devante Adams, he also had some games that would have me downright giddy if Edwards put them up.    

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a comp that probably shouldn't be a comp anymore, but for the early struggles of Devante Adams, he also had some games that would have me downright giddy if Edwards put them up.    
I posted his year 2 stats above where he had 483 yards and 1 TD over the course of the 2nd season. I get that Adams had a freak 21 target game in 2015 (79 yards) but Bryan Edwards is on pace for 692/2 TDs over a comparable 16 game season.

Would love to hold in redraft but I think there's better opportunities 

I could just as soon see picking him up next week after a big game this weekend 

I feel like this guy is equivalent of a Christine Michaels for wide receivers. Gets hyped up every summer and has perceived talent but never makes it. But we’ll end up taking shots every year based on upside and maybe 6 years later he pops out of nowhere and people are like whose this guy? But we’ll know…

Bryan Edwards caught 3-of-4 targets for 88 yards and a touchdown in the Raiders' Week 10 loss to the Chiefs.

Edwards posted a couple of big plays against the Chiefs' Charmin-soft defense, but he still only had four targets on 35 Derek Carr pass attempts. He's playing on every snap – especially now that Henry Ruggs is no longer on the team – but he has struggled to actually earn targets, which keeps him off the fantasy-viable radar for the time being unless you're in desperation mode. Leave him on your bench against the Bengals next week.

Nov 15, 2021, 12:04 AM ET

I feel like this guy is equivalent of a Christine Michaels for wide receivers. Gets hyped up every summer and has perceived talent but never makes it. But we’ll end up taking shots every year based on upside and maybe 6 years later he pops out of nowhere and people are like whose this guy? But we’ll know…
Such a strange take.  Edwards has been in the league for only 1.5 years, so if you mean he’s been hyped up each of the two summers he’s been a Raider, I think that’s reaching a bit.  Edwards clearly has skills when you watch him play.  Whether that translates to fantasy production is another question.  Regardless, Micheals was hyped up based entirely on measurables, which isn’t at all the case with Edwards.

Such a strange take.  Edwards has been in the league for only 1.5 years, so if you mean he’s been hyped up each of the two summers he’s been a Raider, I think that’s reaching a bit.  Edwards clearly has skills when you watch him play.  Whether that translates to fantasy production is another question.  Regardless, Micheals was hyped up based entirely on measurables, which isn’t at all the case with Edwards.
Edwards didn't even run at the combine or attend it. He had a foot issue (I think it was broken). His hype was based on draft position, opportunity within the team drafting him, and his college production and early breakout age.

And like you point out, it's only been two summers. Let's not make it seem like it's been years of hype or anything. He wasn't exactly ballyhooed, just given limited praise.

Fair enough. But he does get hyped up every summer (or past two if you want to get technical) but ends up doing little during season. But you keep rostering him because of the potential and he ends up disappointing. So, yes he's not exactly the same as Christine Michaels (I mean not even same position) but that wasn't my point...

I just saw it as him possibly getting hyped of next summer and same thing happens again. You draft him and he does nothing. Or he could do something its early. But whatever. This isn't really meant to be serious analysis... Kind of an offhand joke but said semi serious. Guy isn't anything but potential at this point. Don't know how you can say he's anything better or less.

Fair enough. But he does get hyped up every summer (or past two if you want to get technical) but ends up doing little during season. But you keep rostering him because of the potential and he ends up disappointing. So, yes he's not exactly the same as Christine Michaels (I mean not even same position) but that wasn't my point...

I just saw it as him possibly getting hyped of next summer and same thing happens again. You draft him and he does nothing. Or he could do something its early. But whatever. This isn't really meant to be serious analysis... Kind of an offhand joke but said semi serious. Guy isn't anything but potential at this point. Don't know how you can say he's anything better or less.
Edwards missed his rookie year with an injury and is on pace for <> 800/4TDs in his first season of NFL play. Saying things like ‘every summer’ just makes you look like you have an illogical grudge. I’d be shocked if this player was taken in the first 10 rounds in any format this year, and probably next will be the same.

Edwards missed his rookie year with an injury and is on pace for <> 800/4TDs in his first season of NFL play. Saying things like ‘every summer’ just makes you look like you have an illogical grudge. I’d be shocked if this player was taken in the first 10 rounds in any format this year, and probably next will be the same.

LOL, ok man. It's an opinion, I'm not doing analytics on the guy or holding a grudge. You may love the guy and want to defend him all you want and that's fine. Can't you just feel free to disagree and move on. Not sure why you feel the need to defend this guy. FYI, I posted that message after the zero point game where everyone thought he would blow up without Ruggs and he didn't. Either way, 800/4 TDs is not someone I want to start on my team but feel free to do so on yours. 

Like I said, It was just an off the cuff remark. I pick up guys who can bust out and be an every week start. Drafted him as someone who could emerge this year. Thought he could emerge last year and he didn't. Maybe he can in the future, sure, but I need to win now in redraft and there are better options so I moved on. Can we put this to rest? Not sure why you're picking a fight with me.

I have nothing against the guy. He's an upside late round pick. He just didn't pan out. I can go for him again next year and hope he pans out and if he doesn't oh well. Not sure why this is so controversial.

LOL, ok man. It's an opinion, I'm not doing analytics on the guy or holding a grudge. You may love the guy and want to defend him all you want and that's fine. Can't you just feel free to disagree and move on. 
I'm not defending him, and I'm not even sure I disagree. I provided projected stats in his first year of action. You seem to be exaggerating that people have him on some pedestal or are rostering him as anything more than a late draft/end of bench afterthought, and it struck me as strange. Maybe I missed those posts, could be. You don't need to keep telling people what they can do with their rosters. They know what they can do with their rosters.

LOL, ok man. It's an opinion, I'm not doing analytics on the guy or holding a grudge

I have nothing against the guy. He's an upside late round pick. He just didn't pan out. I can go for him again next year and hope he pans out and if he doesn't oh well. Not sure why this is so controversial.
It's really not if we read your post with the right tone. Your answers to the questions presented by the counter or rebuttal are more than reasonable, IMO. If it seems like you're being ganged up on, it's just because what to you was a casual one-off sounded a little more vehement at first. When read with the proper tone, it's not so bad.

I'm not defending him, and I'm not even sure I disagree. I provided projected stats in his first year of action. You seem to be exaggerating that people have him on some pedestal or are rostering him as anything more than a late draft/end of bench afterthought seems strange. Maybe I missed those posts, could be. You don't need to keep telling people what they can do with their rosters. They know what they can do with their rosters.

OK, sorry I thought you were the first guy who quoted me and I thought you kept digging in. Now I see your first response to me was the last quote, my bad. I'm not really paying attention to this thread as closely as i should.

Honestly, I don't think any of us disagree which is why I'm so confused why I keep getting called out. It was a joke and it wasn't even saying anything bad. 

It's really not if we read your post with the right tone. Your answers to the questions presented by the counter or rebuttal are more than reasonable, IMO. If it seems like you're being ganged up on, it's just because what to you was a casual one-off sounded a little more vehement at first. When read with the proper tone, it's not so bad.
Honestly, this is it. I just thought he was a late round draft pick that you fall in love with based on his potential and will keep taking shots on each year and may end up disappointing you so I was comparing him to peoples love for Christine Michaels jokingly. I don't think it was a bad upside late round draft pick and was probably going to do it every year and I thought maybe one year he would break out and we would know about it because we are watching him very closely.

It was supposed to be taken with a light heart but people took me way too seriously and got offended by my comments. Not sure how I developed such a bad rep that people think of me that way lol.

Honestly, this is it. I just thought he was a late round draft pick that you fall in love with based on his potential and will keep taking shots on each year and may end up disappointing you so I was comparing him to peoples love for Christine Michaels jokingly. I don't think it was a bad upside late round draft pick and was probably going to do it every year and I thought maybe one year he would break out and we would know about it because we are watching him very closely.

It was supposed to be taken with a light heart but people took me way too seriously and got offended by my comments. Not sure how I developed such a bad rep that people think of me that way lol.
You have no bad rep. People just didn't know you were joking. Keep in mind they -- and I -- are also not too upset about it. That's why we're on a message board -- to kvetch and spitball. Nobody takes Edwards that seriously, at least not to my knowledge. This is just what we do.

Keep on rockin' in the free world, tigerz.

What's his SPARQ score?

As to the point tigerz was making, I'd say I would not have been enamored by Edwards last year or this year in redraft drafts. In dynasty he has good value and I think he's heading in the right direction career-wise. But, no, in redraft, I wouldn't have been into him either year, more of a deep sleeper/flyer guy. But I'm sure some were saying such things, not denying that at all.

Bryan Edwards rushed once for zero yards in the Raiders' Week 11 loss to the Bengals.

Despite playing 83% of the snaps, Edwards was not targeted in the passing game a week after going for 88 yards and a score. He now has had two goose eggs in the last three weeks. Neither Zay Jones nor DeSean Jackson did much of anything in this game, either, so it is not like Edwards fell down the depth chart. There just does not appear to be much fantasy value behind Darren Waller and Hunter Renfrow in this passing game. 

Nov 22, 2021, 10:51 AM ET

Sorry guys, my fault.   Dropped him in dynasty two weeks ago and brought him on to my re-draft due to FOMO, a favorable pass schedule, and the fact that he made some noise with his 4 targets the previous week. 

It seems likely that the Raiders will have to invest a 1st or 2nd in another deep WR class, or bring in a top free agent this summer.   I know that you can't count out a big WR putting it together Year 3 or Year 4.   It says something that the Raiders give him as many snaps as they do.   There doesn't seem to be any issue with drops.   However, I do wonder how many of the late breakout WRs were getting this much playing time in Year 2 and doing this little in terms of targets.   Is he being used almost as a blocking TE, or is he just not getting open?  The yards per target is certainly there.   He passes the eyeball test when thrown to.   I'm just completely baffled how zero targets happens in a game that the Raiders are trailing from the 2nd quarter onward.   

Falcons acquired WR Bryan Edwards and a 2023 seventh-round pick from the Raiders in exchange for a 2023 fifth-round pick.

Edwards found his way out of the conversation in Las Vegas after the first few weeks of the season, and never was targeted more than six times in a game all season. However he lands in a perfect spot as the Falcons are as receiver-starved as any team in the NFL. This passing game probably can't hold up three fantasy-relevant receivers, but Edwards should at least have a shot to be on the radar. As for the Raiders, they had brought in Keelan Cole, Mack Hollins, and Demarcus Robinson lately and probably saw Edwards as a depth receiver. Getting a fifth for a depth receiver makes sense. 

RELATED: 

Las Vegas Raiders

SOURCE: Vincent Bonsignore on Twitter

May 13, 2022, 3:29 PM ET

Makes sense. ATL needs warm bodies at WR, Edwards probably has a lot of familiarity with MM from their practice squad days, and the Raiders just signed Cole, making Edward expendable. 

They turned him + a 7th into a 5th. Good GM-ing. 

Maybe with more opportunity Edwards can show something. 

Dream landing spot right now for Edwards. Looks like the Falcons are going for a few big bodies at receiver, up to and including Auden Tate. 

Raiders getting out from their previous regime's draft picks slowly but surely. Gruden and Mayock. Ugh. 

Users who are viewing this thread