What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Cole Beasley, BUF (1 Viewer)

Maybe his cardiologist suggested he not get the vaccine because of the potential side effects? Seems crazy knowing the impact of Covid on hearts, but I’m not his doctor so I don’t know what has or has not been said/determined. 
I know somebody with a heart problem that was instructed not to. Somebody with an arrhythmic heart was told she shouldn't until further tests were done on her heart. She was tested for COVID antibodies, even, because they thought she might have previously had COVID. She was wearing a heart monitor last we spoke. Bad situation all around for somebody I like.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cole Beasley @Bease11 8m

Don’t worry they got me too. But I was wearing a mask when I was in close contact with fully vaxxed trainer who tested positive and still got sent home. So what’s the point of the mask anyways? Meanwhile I’m here still testing negative and can’t come back. Make it make sense.

https://twitter.com/Bease11/status/1430882855522082820
Dear Cole,

Your employer, who pays you a tremendous amount of money, has instituted certain policies as a condition of your employment.  In addition, said employer has created a policy that lays out a path for you to avoid some of the more draconian effects of those policies, should you choose to do so.  You have opted not to take that path, thereby triggering the more draconian effects.  Those policies and the effects thereof are openly published, such that you have a choice of which path to take.  If that doesn't make sense, that would seem to be a failure of understanding on your part.

Sincerely,
Management

Cole Beasley @Bease11 8m

Don’t worry they got me too. But I was wearing a mask when I was in close contact with fully vaxxed trainer who tested positive and still got sent home. So what’s the point of the mask anyways? Meanwhile I’m here still testing negative and can’t come back. Make it make sense.

https://twitter.com/Bease11/status/1430882855522082820
Sorry Cole, it doesn't make sense. 

Gotcha. Do we want to discuss the facts at hand then? 
Sure, you got any?

The facts are that the NFL is an employer and can implement whatever policies it wants, subject to the CBA.  Cole Beasley doesn't have to like them.  He's not being paid to like them.  But, it's disingenuous to complain that the policies don't make medical sense when he has no medical training whatsoever.

Sure, you got any?

The facts are that the NFL is an employer and can implement whatever policies it wants, subject to the CBA.  Cole Beasley doesn't have to like them.  He's not being paid to like them.  But, it's disingenuous to complain that the policies don't make medical sense when he has no medical training whatsoever.
His point... is a non vaccinated person negative test different than a vaccinated person's negative test?

His point... is a non vaccinated person negative test different than a vaccinated person's negative test?
There are plenty here with more expertise than me, but I believe the answer to your question is "yes", they are different because unvaccinated people are significantly more likely to be asymptomatic vectors for transmission and for longer periods of time.  For sake of argument, if that were the case, would you agree that the policy is fine as is?

Just noticed as I read his twitter thread that he's answered several questions from responders over the last hour or so.  Personally, I'm not interested. But it may be an opportunity for some  folks here to possibly get some clarity straight from the source.

There are plenty here with more expertise than me, but I believe the answer to your question is "yes", they are different because unvaccinated people are significantly more likely to be asymptomatic vectors for transmission and for longer periods of time.  For sake of argument, if that were the case, would you agree that the policy is fine as is?
No. I'm fine with the NFL having a policy and everyone has to live by it. The policy doesn't follow science, so we should at least admit that.

Testing tells you if you are positive or not, regardless if you are asymptomatic. So a negative test is a negative test. Unless you want to argue the validity of testing. 

Vaccinated players should also still quarantine for 5 days when in contact with a positive case. That is the science, but the NFL doesn't care.

No. I'm fine with the NFL having a policy and everyone has to live by it. The policy doesn't follow science, so we should at least admit that.

Testing tells you if you are positive or not, regardless if you are asymptomatic. So a negative test is a negative test. Unless you want to argue the validity of testing. 

Vaccinated players should also still quarantine for 5 days when in contact with a positive case. That is the science, but the NFL doesn't care.
But testing doesn't pick up a positive case until N days after exposure, with N being variable depending on circumstances.  It's the same reason my kids can't go back to school until a negative test more than 4 days after exposure.  We know that vaccinated players are significantly less likely to become infected after exposure.  The NFL's policy takes a calculated risk measurement on that basis.  If you want to argue that they shouldn't bother testing anyone until N days after exposure, be my guest.  But to say the policy doesn't follow science, you're just incorrect.

Science is this.

If you are not a scientist, and you disagree with scientists about science, it’s actually not a disagreement. You're just wrong. Science is not truth. Science is finding the truth. When science changes its opinion, it didn't lie to you. It learned more.

But testing doesn't pick up a positive case until N days after exposure, with N being variable depending on circumstances.  It's the same reason my kids can't go back to school until a negative test more than 4 days after exposure.  We know that vaccinated players are significantly less likely to become infected after exposure.  The NFL's policy takes a calculated risk measurement on that basis.  If you want to argue that they shouldn't bother testing anyone until N days after exposure, be my guest.  But to say the policy doesn't follow science, you're just incorrect.
You can't say the policy takes calculated risks, but also follows the science. The science is that vaccinated people can get and transmit covid. Vaccinated contacts take their tests a day later. If it's negative they go back to work, but we just established that isnt a valid method to contain the spread of covid. 

Unvaccinated players with multiple negative tests after 5 days are less of a risk to spread covid than a vaccinated player who tested negative once, one day after exposure. It doesn't follow science. 

What happens if two scientists disagree? 
Just two??? How about letting multiple other scientists put in their 2 cents and we go from there.  Peer review rules in this case, I would believe.  For instance, if one has 97 on his side and the other has 3?.  Rational thinking would point towards the side with 97, but these days more and more folks seem to just 'choose' the side that confirms there bias.  Experts be damned. 

And the beauty of science is that any of those same scientists can change their minds if further research warrants it.

You can't say the policy takes calculated risks, but also follows the science. The science is that vaccinated people can get and transmit covid. Vaccinated contacts take their tests a day later. If it's negative they go back to work, but we just established that isnt a valid method to contain the spread of covid. 

Unvaccinated players with multiple negative tests after 5 days are less of a risk to spread covid than a vaccinated player who tested negative once, one day after exposure. It doesn't follow science. 
While the first bolded is true, vaccinated people do not do so at nearly the same rate as unvaxxed.  Again, you know this.  If one said "X is a 90% risk, Y is a 30% risk, we're going to be more stringent about preventing X", that is absolutely following science.

With regard to the second bolded, I don't know if that's true or not.  I'd have to wait for others more knowledgeable to weigh in.

One might also consider that the NFL is instituting policies in an attempt to coerce more players to get vaccinate in order to reduce overall spread, in an effort to reduce the likelihood canceled games.  Is that not "following the science"?

While the first bolded is true, vaccinated people do not do so at nearly the same rate as unvaxxed.  Again, you know this.  If one said "X is a 90% risk, Y is a 30% risk, we're going to be more stringent about preventing X", that is absolutely following science.

With regard to the second bolded, I don't know if that's true or not.  I'd have to wait for others more knowledgeable to weigh in.

One might also consider that the NFL is instituting policies in an attempt to coerce more players to get vaccinate in order to reduce overall spread, in an effort to reduce the likelihood canceled games.  Is that not "following the science"?
So what are the % of vaccinated vs unvaccinated cases? The CDC said they weren't going to track breakthrough cases and only breakthrough hospitalizations. So I dont think we even know the real numbers. Vaccinated people weren't even testing for covid until recently. Considering the vaccine is working, the vaccinated are even less likely to show symptoms while still having covid which means they have even less reason to test.

But I do agree with you that the NFL is instituting policies to get more players vaccinated. Their policies just dont follow science if reducing the spread is the goal. That part isnt debatable. 

So what are the % of vaccinated vs unvaccinated cases? The CDC said they weren't going to track breakthrough cases and only breakthrough hospitalizations. So I dont think we even know the real numbers. Vaccinated people weren't even testing for covid until recently. Considering the vaccine is working, the vaccinated are even less likely to show symptoms while still having covid which means they have even less reason to test.

But I do agree with you that the NFL is instituting policies to get more players vaccinated. Their policies just dont follow science if reducing the spread is the goal. That part isnt debatable. 
You're just wrong here.  Vaccinated players are less likely to be infected.  Vaccinated players are less likely to spread an infection to others.  We can therefore conclude that more vaccinated players = overall reduction in spread. It's baffling that you would try to argue otherwise.

You're just wrong here.  Vaccinated players are less likely to be infected.  Vaccinated players are less likely to spread an infection to others.  We can therefore conclude that more vaccinated players = overall reduction in spread. It's baffling that you would try to argue otherwise.
I agree they are less likely. I'd like to see the stats on it if you have those.

If your position is the NFL is playing %s, I agree as well.

If your position is the NFL's policy is doing everything it can to stop the spread, it just isnt. Treating vaccinated and unvaccinated players differently is politics.

I agree they are less likely. I'd like to see the stats on it if you have those.

If your position is the NFL is playing %s, I agree as well.

If your position is the NFL's policy is doing everything it can to stop the spread, it just isnt. Treating vaccinated and unvaccinated players differently is politics.
I don't have the statistics.  I'm not sure anyone has exact statistics.  @Doug B is your best bet, I imagine,

My point is that "playing percentages" is following science, if you're playing the correct percentages.

I'm not suggesting, nor have I ever suggested, that the NFL is "doing everything it can" to reduce spread.  That would be to cancel the entire season.  Literally anything else is less than "everything possible".  Ditto, I'm not doing "everything I can to prevent infection for myself".  I'm vaccinated, I wear a mask, I don't eat indoors, I don't put myself in large groups.  If I wanted to "do everything I can", I would become a hermit and never interact with anyone, ever.  I'm playing percentages.

I don't have the statistics.  I'm not sure anyone has exact statistics.  @Doug B is your best bet, I imagine,

My point is that "playing percentages" is following science, if you're playing the correct percentages.

I'm not suggesting, nor have I ever suggested, that the NFL is "doing everything it can" to reduce spread.  That would be to cancel the entire season.  Literally anything else is less than "everything possible".  Ditto, I'm not doing "everything I can to prevent infection for myself".  I'm vaccinated, I wear a mask, I don't eat indoors, I don't put myself in large groups.  If I wanted to "do everything I can", I would become a hermit and never interact with anyone, ever.  I'm playing percentages.
As long as we're admitting to massive flaws in the logic behind the NFL's covid policy. 

Which was Beasley's point from the start of this. 

Skoo said:
Pretty sad state of affairs that following the science is now deemed "politics".

But I guess that's what you get after decades of anti-intellectualism. An uneducated population.
I pointed to the flaws in the policy. 

Skoo said:
Pretty sad state of affairs that following the science is now deemed "politics".

But I guess that's what you get after decades of anti-intellectualism. An uneducated population.
Educated by a democratic teachers union.   What else could you expect.   It's what leftists do.

Skoo said:

But i read a facebook post that told me different!!! (that's sarcasm)

"Don’t worry they got me too. But I was wearing a mask when I was in close contact with fully vaxxed trainer who tested positive and still got sent home. So what’s the point of the mask anyways? Meanwhile I’m here still testing negative and can’t come back. Make it make sense"

Sounds like the mask worked - way to go Cole!!!!

Footballguys view: As an unvaccinated player, Beasley is subject to longer absences for exposure. His availability in the season could be affected by it, but it's not a reason to avoid him in drafts.

I'd like some consistency from Footballguys regarding their commentary for unvaccinated players in the Covid protocol.  Both Cole Beasley and Gabriel Davis are unvaccinated, entered protocol and have been cleared for return.  The quote above was added to the news item for Beasley, but not Davis.  Why?

Skoo said:

According to modern science and modern medicine, as of today, the right thing to do for one's long term health is to take the COVID19 vaccine.

That's the current "science"

HOWEVER, the problem is the context.  The context is there is A LOT that modern science and modern medicine does not know. Nor can they predict it. Nor can they guarantee the long term impact of taking the vaccine is negligible beyond it's stated purpose.

Everyone who shouts "Follow the science!" is also usually avoiding the context. In fact, if anyone wants to talk about the context, odds are someone will try to dox them and get them fired from their job/career over it.

If you say "Follow the science!"

Then I'll say, "Acknowledge the context!"

But why do that when it's just simpler to corner, bracket and hunt anyone who even wants to point out what modern science and modern medicine just don't know. It's easier to dig up the most fringe extremist zealots and use their words and actions to smear everyone who is not vaccinated.  It's easier to scream out how the unvaccinated are being selfish but no one wants to talk about how selfish it is to leverage someone who truly believes taking the vaccine is a risk to their long term health. It's just easier to dehumanize people and try to shame them when it's been made clear in American society that those strategies don't work to move hearts and minds on a mass level.

I'd like some consistency from Footballguys regarding their commentary for unvaccinated players in the Covid protocol.  Both Cole Beasley and Gabriel Davis are unvaccinated, entered protocol and have been cleared for return.  The quote above was added to the news item for Beasley, but not Davis.  Why?
You'll have to @Joe Bryant if you want a FF answer. 

I guess it could be,

1. We secretly have a hatred of Cole Beasley? 

2. We don't write every news blurb exactly the same and this was our take on Beasley?

I'm going with the second one in a landslide. ;)  

Skoo said:

Sad that people use a word like science in order to shield their malice intentions which are truly political in nature. 

Isn't that right @Max Power

In my science classes as a kid the teacher represented things like vaccines to be bulletproof mostly. Flu shots according to Google are anywhere from 40-60% effective. 

I think people are catching on that this vaccine is more of a fancy flu shot and the best some of them can hope for is just not dying when they catch it, for some that's not very exciting I guess. They want something more like in the TV commercials where you buy one magic eraser and they send another free, maybe they should administer a flu shot and then give a free colonoscopy while you are there, like a 2 for 1. 

Is this a thread a first going from the Shark Pool on a player profile over to the PSF?

I have to say I wondered why Beasley fell so far today in an online draft but I do see that the Bills activated Cole so i would assume he is good to go. 🤷‍♂️

Sad that people use a word like science in order to shield their malice intentions which are truly political in nature. 

Isn't that right @Max Power

In my science classes as a kid the teacher represented things like vaccines to be bulletproof mostly. Flu shots according to Google are anywhere from 40-60% effective. 

I think people are catching on that this vaccine is more of a fancy flu shot and the best some of them can hope for is just not dying when they catch it, for some that's not very exciting I guess. They want something more like in the TV commercials where you buy one magic eraser and they send another free, maybe they should administer a flu shot and then give a free colonoscopy while you are there, like a 2 for 1. 
The NFL policy doesn't make sense to me. On one hand they say protocols are in place to protect everyone from a killer virus, but on the other hand it admits to just playing a % game with mitigation strategies. 

The NFL admits it protocols are aimed at strong arming holdouts into getting vaccinated and punitive to players who aren't. How is that following the science.

It appears vaccinated players are testing positive at higher rates than the unvaccinated, but the unvaccinated are collateral damage. Makes sense right?

The NFLPA has asked the NFL to do daily testing for all players Vax'd and unvax'd due to the delta variant. The NFL said no because.... all the vaccinated players would be testing positive more often and screw everything up. So tell me again how this is protecting people...

The NFL policy doesn't make sense to me. On one hand they say protocols are in place to protect everyone from a killer virus, but on the other hand it admits to just playing a % game with mitigation strategies. 

The NFL admits it protocols are aimed at strong arming holdouts into getting vaccinated and punitive to players who aren't. How is that following the science.

It appears vaccinated players are testing positive at higher rates than the unvaccinated, but the unvaccinated are collateral damage. Makes sense right?

The NFLPA has asked the NFL to do daily testing for all players Vax'd and unvax'd due to the delta variant. The NFL said no because.... all the vaccinated players would be testing positive more often and screw everything up. So tell me again how this is protecting people...
1. Playing percentages IS following science.

2. You have a link for the bolded?

1. Playing percentages IS following science.

2. You have a link for the bolded?
1. Playing %s reduces risk for sure. But when the NFL stops implementing measures at x%, it's a broken policy. Daily tests for covid for everyone would reduce risks to everyone even more, but the NFL says that mitigation strategy is unnecessary.

2. No, but I'd love to see them. I read a stat that said the NFL has 13 positive covid cases and 22 total people on the COVID list. The Bill's got hit hard with the close contact measure, but when we talk about the recent positive tests its vaccinated players. The Falcons had 2, Ttians had 4 or 5, the Bucs have 4.... All vaccinated positives. The vaccinated players were being tested every two weeks opposed to daily tests for the unvaccinated. 

The NFL knows if they test everyone daily, the vaccinated positives will spike big time. 

1. Playing %s reduces risk for sure. But when the NFL stops implementing measures at x%, it's a broken policy. Daily tests for covid for everyone would reduce risks to everyone even more, but the NFL says that mitigation strategy is unnecessary.
There has to be a line at which additional mitigation strategies aren't necessary or worth the additional cost/time/hassle.  Maybe that line is "test unvaccinated players more frequently", maybe it's "test all players more frequently", maybe it's "cancel the season".  Where the line is will be a matter of opinion and there will be lots of opinions.  But, just because the NFL has chosen a different line than you would like does NOT mean the NFL isn't following science, as you keep repeating.

2. No, but I'd love to see them. I read a stat that said the NFL has 13 positive covid cases and 22 total people on the COVID list. The Bill's got hit hard with the close contact measure, but when we talk about the recent positive tests its vaccinated players. The Falcons had 2, Ttians had 4 or 5, the Bucs have 4.... All vaccinated positives. The vaccinated players were being tested every two weeks opposed to daily tests for the unvaccinated. 
Last I read, approx. 93% of players are vaccinated, or about 13 times the amount of unvaxxed.  Note that as cutdowns progress, this number may change, depending on whether more vaxxed or unvaxxed players get cut, but we can probably ignore that for now.  When there are 13 times as many vaxxed players as unvaxxed, we would expect more positive tests to occur in vaxxed players than in unvaxxed players, in terms of raw numbers.

Users who are viewing this thread