What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR DK Metcalf, SEA (1 Viewer)

I think this is one of those ''can he play hurt '' situations with no risk of the issue getting worse if he plays
A little ''Vitamin T '' in the butt could get him thru the game (Toradol)
What is Metcalfs history of playing hurt ?

Metcalf played most or all of last season with a foot fracture that required surgery at the end of the season, so he shows up.

The two most likely "injuries" that Metcalf had would be:

1) patellar subluxation (proposed by Dr. Chao), which can come with soft tissue tears and cartilage damage, but no player would be available if there were evidence of either. A non complicated mild subluxation would allow play as immediately as long as the player was confident and muscles were firing with good coordination (can DK sprint as fast, jump as high, cut as aggressively as normal) without pain or sensation of instability.

2) aggravation of chronic patellar tendinopathy/enthesopathy. Michael Jordan played most of his career managing chronic patellar tendinopathy/enthesopathy, so it's possible to play at an elite level with the "injury". In an acute exacerbation, the pain can cause voluntary or involuntary guarding of the injury.

I imagine a scenario where both DK and Lockett see decreased usage, with increased reliance of 3 solid tight ends and their mediocre WR3-5. I have DK on my roster in 1/2 PPR and I am playing Van Jefferson over him (limited talent on WW).

DK Metcalf caught 6-of-9 targets for 71 yards in the Seahawks' Week 10 loss to the Bucs.​

Metcalf paced the Seahawks in targets, earning a 27 percent target share in the process. He also led the team in receptions and yards, nabbing a handful of contested catches along the way. Metcalf only has one game over 100 yards this year, but his role in Seattle's passing game is elite. He will look to rebound after a Week 11 bye. The Seahawks face Las Vegas in Week 12.
Nov 13, 2022, 3:46 PM ET

DK Metcalf caught 8-of-8 targets for 127 yards and a touchdown in the Seahawks' Week 13 win over the Rams.​

Metcalf's first 100-yard game since Week 4 was just his second of the season. The yards and receptions were both his second most of the year, though he now has 25 grabs over the past three weeks, moving completely beyond his Week 7 knee scare. For today's score, his fifth of the year, Metcalf got a step on Jalen Ramsey in the end zone and provided the final difference in the Seahawks' 27-23 victory. Metcalf and Ramsey had been going at it all day, with Metcalf at one point losing his cool and earning a personal foul. Metcalf will look to stay hot in Week 14 against the Panthers' solid pass defense.
Dec 4, 2022, 7:32 PM ET

DK Metcalf (hip) is questionable for Week 14's game against the Panthers.​

Metcalf was added to the injury report on Thursday with the hip injury. We don't have Seattle's practice reports or an update from Pete Carroll yet. We'll have to see what else comes of those before we can fully understand what Metcalf's situation is.
Dec 9, 2022, 4:09 PM ET

Any reason to believe that Carroll is blowing smoke about Metcalf playing?

Haven’t heard anything on Twitter indicating he may indeed sit, but there’s not much out there to pivot to for the post-1pm games if he is out.

Curious what other Metcalf owners are doing that have lackluster backup plans - rolling the dice on him playing regardless?

He's at least starting the game. I have Evans, but taking a chance with Metcalf. Have Pierce riding the bench as well.

DK Metcalf caught 5-of-10 targets for 71 yards and a touchdown in the Seahawks' Week 14 loss to the Panthers.​

Metcalf now has four touchdowns in his previous six games. He's no Tyler Lockett, who has a touchdown in each of those six games, but Metcalf's touchdown production is rebounding to fall in line with the rest of his stats. In Week 14, his 10 targets were good for a 28 percent target share. He will remain at the top of the WR2 ranks for Seattle's Week 15 game against the 49ers.
Dec 11, 2022, 8:55 PM ET

DK Metcalf caught 7-of-9 targets for 55 yards in the Seahawks' Week 15 loss to the 49ers.​

It was an eventful night for Metcalf even as the 55 yards receiving were his fewest in five weeks. Doing constant battle with CB Charvarius Ward, Metcalf was called for both a taunting penalty and offensive pass interference. Frustrated by Ward's blanket coverage, Metcalf also never had time to get open down the field as the 49ers' pass rush made it impossible for long plays to develop. He should have a better go of it in Week 16 as the Seahawks will be forced to put on their throwing shoes for a road date with the Chiefs.
Dec 15, 2022, 11:43 PM ET

DK Metcalf caught 10-of-13 targets for 136 yards and two touchdowns in the Seahawks' Wild Card loss to the 49ers.​

Metcalf made several members of the Niners secondary look silly in single coverage when the Seahawks decided to throw the ball instead of running into the teeth of the NFL's best rush defense. Metcalf's second touchdown came in garbage time. He came close to a third score on a third quarter fade from Geno Smith that proved a little off target. Metcalf, 25, managed six touchdowns on 90 receptions and 1,048 yards in the regular season. Among the NFL's preeminent downfield pass catching threats, Metcalf could reach a new level if the Seahawks ever have a pass-first offense.
Jan 14, 2023, 7:56 PM ET

According to Jordan McNamara, rostering DK over others is a “coward’s way out.” Yeah…I get what he’s saying, but it’s not like the Garrett Wilson owner in your league is willing to trade him for DK.

I don’t understand…could you elaborate?
That for his cost, you should take a chance on a guy with upside that DK doesn’t have. He doesn’t think DK has WR1 overall upside, so why not try to trade for a Garrett Wilson or Chris Olave? It was in the context of a trade involving DK for Mark Andrews in a TE Prem league. His stance, if I’m paraphrasing him correctly, is why pay that for the the safe WR 12-24 production of DK when you could gamble on rookie upside, cost and value-wise. He called holding or acquiring DK the “coward’s way out” and said he didn’t like to play that way. If I’m misquoting or mis-paraphrasing I hope somebody corrects me, but I think that was his point.

Last edited:
I roster DK in my main league, so I was interested in that take. The thing is, if you sent out a DK for Olave or Wilson, it’s likely rejected with haste, IMO. So I get what Jordan is saying about Andrews having TE1 or TE2 potential and not liking the VBD aspect of the deal he was discussing, and I get what he’s saying about Wilson and Olave, but it’s likely not a feasible trade unless you sweeten it.

I don’t understand…could you elaborate?
That for his cost, you should take a chance on a guy with upside that DK doesn’t have. He doesn’t think DK has WR1 overall upside, so why not try to trade for a Garrett Wilson or Chris Olave? It was in the context of a trade involving DK for Mark Andrews in a TE Prem league. His stance, if I’m paraphrasing him correctly, is why pay that for the the safe WR 12-24 production of DK when you could gamble on rookie upside, cost and value-wise. He called holding or acquiring DK the “coward’s way out” and said he didn’t like to play that way. If I’m misquoting or mis-paraphrasing I hope somebody corrects me, but I think that was his point.
I get what he’s saying I guess, but we’ve seen DK put together a 83/1303/10 season three seasons ago. I don’t have the WR finishes in front of me for that year, but I have to imagine he was a WR1 that year.

I mean, I'd rather have Mark Andrews than DK Metcalf.

I'd prefer Wilson or Olave as well, but both those guys are starting to be a little overrated I think. I've seen Wilson sneaking into round 1, which is nuts to me. Olave seems more all over the board, sometimes going top-20, sometimes going late 3rd.

Metcalf is probably a 3/4 turn level guy for me, so I'm not anticipating getting him very often.

I've seen Wilson sneaking into round 1, which is nuts to me.
Why would an offensive rookie of the year that’s getting a massive upgrade at QB going in Round 1 be that nuts? Although I doubt he goes in round 1 even in my 14 team league in NJ where there are 6 Jets fans.

I've seen Wilson sneaking into round 1, which is nuts to me.
Why would an offensive rookie of the year that’s getting a massive upgrade at QB going in Round 1 be that nuts? Although I doubt he goes in round 1 even in my 14 team league in NJ where there are 6 Jets fans.
I think its a massive projection over guys who have proven they can do it already and are in as good or even better situations.

Admittedly, I doubt I'll end up with any Wilson shares, as he's not in my top-20 overall (21st, so I'm hair splitting) but I don't see Rodgers addition suddenly changing the offensive philosophy. It'll be a lot more effective sure, but I think this is still a team that wants to win running and playing defense, that can now pass when they want to.

I have Wilson about the same spot as Hall (a Dalvin addition could change that) and just before the QB run should start. I like Wilson the player a lot, but I'm not sure he improves as much as hoped. Certainly, I prefer him to DK though.

DK Metcalf caught 3-of-5 targets for 47 yards and a touchdown in the Seahawks’ Week 1 loss to the Rams.

Metcalf saw elite usage on targets that went into the end zone and targets that originated in the red zone last year. There was no change in his role to start the 2023 season. The only difference was that he actually found the end zone this time around after scoring just six times in 2022. Metcalf’s high-value targets allowed him to overcome the Seahawks’ offensive struggles in this game. He gets a great matchup versus the Lions next week and will attempt to keep the ball rolling as a high-end WR2.

- Rotoworld

Seahawks' Carrol: Metcalf 'is a trash human being and has to grow up and elevate above his 8 year old emotions and quit screwing our team over'

Seahawks WR DK Metcalf says it has not been hard playing through a rib injury.

When asked if it’s been hard playing through his rib injury, Metcalf said, “it hasn’t been.” He took a hit to the ribs in Week 2, managing his injury with the team since then. Metcalf did not participate in Wednesday’s practice, but he has taken rest days before playing in prior weeks. Expect Metcalf to continue managing his injury with a rest day here or there, but to continue to play in games.

Users who are viewing this thread