What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Eric Decker - Retired (1 Viewer)

Looks like $6M, $6M, $7M, $8M, $9M.

Nice deal by the Jets. Worst case is it's a 2 year/$15M deal, but more likely 3 years/$19M.

Rotoworld take:

Jets signed WR Eric Decker to a five-year, $36.25 million contract with $15 million guaranteed.
The $7.25M annual average is quite reasonable. Decker, 27, set career highs in catches (87) and receiving yards (1,288 yards) with Denver last season, scoring 11 touchdowns. He caught a lot of heat during the free-agent period after experiencing a colder-than-expected market, but is a much-needed addition to the Jets' otherwise barren receiver corps. Decker is a physical, largely sure-handed wideout who moves the chains and can beat defensive backs deep. Unfortunately, he's downgrading quarterbacks in spectacular fashion going from Peyton Manning to Geno Smith, and will be the focus of defensive attention in New York after serving as Manning's No. 3 or 4 option. He'd do well to get back near 1,000 yards with the Jets. Decker will be a borderline WR3 in 2014 fantasy.

Related: Broncos

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Well, he WAS my #2 or #3 WR, now I am not even sure he is playable as a bye week flex.

I don't even think he would have been a very good play as the #1 WR on a team with a good QB, let alone the #1 WR on a team with horrific QB play.

If you could have picked the 3 worst possible landing spots, the Jets were definitely one of them, maybe the worst.

Textbook example of how going after the more talented players is best for a dynasty team in the longrun.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone else glad they unloaded him? However, I did pick him up in another league for 1.10 and am now kicking myself.

*Stay away from him unless they sign Vick or Schaub.*

Talk about a potential drastic swing, had be gone to Detroit his value doesnt change. Now he is a waiver guy in smaller roster dynasty leagues

I don't know, if everybody is THAT down on him, I might start looking to acquire. I think he is more talented that he is being given credit for at this point. Sure, Manning and the offense in general have helped him a lot. But he looked pretty good as a young'n before Manning arrived too.

He's not just some slot guy who just happened to be in the right scheme as a wide-open 3rd WR. He's a big dude with solid skills and measurables that are probably being discounted. He's not slow, he's agile, tough, has good hands and instincts, etc. This guy can play.

He's probably not going to be top 10 playing for the Jets, but he could very well end up a solid #2 WR, and that's not nothing.

The over-reactions are priceless. Decker certainly has lost some value, but he's going to be heavily targeted next year and is still a big, strong and fast target.

Over the last 4 games, Geno Smith went 3-1, completed cloe to 60% of his passes, threw for 4 TDs (and rushed for 3) and only had two interceptions. Rookie QBs sometimes improve.

David Nelson who was signed off the street, came in and had a few nice games. Decker can still be a solid contributor to your fantasy team, its just that expectations need to go down a bit. The last season where Santonio Holmes was healthy (and trying) he caught 9 TDs - Decker can still reach double digits.

I don't know, if everybody is THAT down on him, I might start looking to acquire. I think he is more talented that he is being given credit for at this point. Sure, Manning and the offense in general have helped him a lot. But he looked pretty good as a young'n before Manning arrived too.

He's not just some slot guy who just happened to be in the right scheme as a wide-open 3rd WR. He's a big dude with solid skills and measurables that are probably being discounted. He's not slow, he's agile, tough, has good hands and instincts, etc. This guy can play.

He's probably not going to be top 10 playing for the Jets, but he could very well end up a solid #2 WR, and that's not nothing.
This. I think he's likely to put up WR2 numbers this year. He'll be force fed targets, and it's yet to be determined who the starting QB will be. If it's Vick, it's a good landing spot. Also, keep in mind that 2013 is behind us. The Jets had the worst WRs in football, a rookie QB, and mediocre talent at RB.

I'm not jumping up and down about Decker landing there. Detroit, Indy or Carolina would have been great. But there's no need to panic. Teams shift drastically from year to year. Decker should get at least as many targets in NY as he did in Denver. (averaged 130 last two years). He could get 150. I'm not expecting 1200/11 again, but 1100/8 seems realistic to me.

Looking to acquire here. Problem is in my dynasty leagues, all the Decker owners are pretty savvy FFers. Post any trades you guys complete, please.

Decker was pretty good (WR17) the first 5 games of 2011 when DT was out and his QB was Orton.

Im sure this will work out as well as it did for Greg Jennings and Mike Wallace when they took the big money along with playing with a bad QB.

Looking to acquire here. Problem is in my dynasty leagues, all the Decker owners are pretty savvy FFers. Post any trades you guys complete, please.
I traded Decker away in two leagues, one late last season (with a second for Tavon Austin and what turned out to be the 1.05) and in January (for Jordan Cameron and Terrence Williams) but will be looking to add him now, with the perception that he is now useless being promulgated in the fantasy community.

He'll be a WR2/WR3 at worst, yet some people are caling him waiver wire material in this thread.

We'll soon see if this is Bowe/Cassel (Good) or Bowe/A.Smith (Bad). Based on this thread, I'll be looking to buy and take that chance. At his age, this isn't likely to be his last situation (If not team change, then coach/qb/offense, etc).

WR1 days are gone. WR3 might be just as likely as WR2 numbers, now. But if you can get him at WR3 prices, I think there is room for profit.

Im sure this will work out as well as it did for Greg Jennings and Mike Wallace when they took the big money along with playing with a bad QB.
Greg Jennings was banged up and already over 30 when he signed with Minnesota and Mike Wallace wasn't as bad as you are implying last season. A better QB (and better o-ine) would have helped Wallace but he was still far from useless for fantasy teams.

I'd guess mid range WR2 for him -- way too much Geno hate going on in general IMO. What exactly were you guys expecting out of a rookie QB with the worst skill position talent in the NFL? Decker's upside will be capped by the Jets' run first offense, but he should be a target hog. I'll be buying if any of his owners are over-reacting and selling at WR3 prices.

The over-reactions are priceless. Decker certainly has lost some value, but he's going to be heavily targeted next year and is still a big, strong and fast target.

Over the last 4 games, Geno Smith went 3-1, completed cloe to 60% of his passes, threw for 4 TDs (and rushed for 3) and only had two interceptions. Rookie QBs sometimes improve.

David Nelson who was signed off the street, came in and had a few nice games. Decker can still be a solid contributor to your fantasy team, its just that expectations need to go down a bit. The last season where Santonio Holmes was healthy (and trying) he caught 9 TDs - Decker can still reach double digits.
I've seen that posted a lot here. It doesn't mean he was actually dissecting defenses or playing good. I seen at least one of those TD that looked like he closed his eyes and wobbled the ball to Kerley in a crowd. Bet he still gets credit for the TD.... Geno is going to flame out fast. There is no hope for his WR-RB-TE, especially guys that are not top-tier talents.
40 recs, 750 yards, 4 TDs.Scratch him off your lists.
:lol:

I've seen that posted a lot here. It doesn't mean he was actually dissecting defenses or playing good. I seen at least one of those TD that looked like he closed his eyes and wobbled the ball to Kerley in a crowd. Bet he still gets credit for the TD.... Geno is going to flame out fast. There is no hope for his WR-RB-TE, especially guys that are not top-tier talents.
40 recs, 750 yards, 4 TDs.Scratch him off your lists.
:lol:
I am not a Geno fan, but the fact remains he showed improvement at the season's end. It's also possible that another year in a difficult system to master (WCO) and improved skill around him helps him take another step.

I saw plenty of bad last season, but I also saw some good - in other words he was a rookie. He made some really ba decisions, but he also has a combination of arm strength and accuracy I haven't seen in a Jet QB since Vinny (and I know that's not saying much :lol: ) - I am actually a proponent of bringing in a guy like Vick, but I'm also not going to say Geno cannot make a leap from year one to year two.

Seems like there's a lot of people that are assuming 2013 Jets = 2014 Jets.

-First of all, they've hired Marty Mornhinweg as OC. Gone are the days of ground and pound, and welcome in WCO. That means a lot more passing.

-Next, the receiving options last year were awful. They've now added Decker. They are supposedly interested in James Jones too. Pretty likely to draft a top WR or TE in Rd1 and or 2 as well. So instead of Kerley/Winslow/Hill, it could be Decker/Jones/Ebron.

-Seems like Vick is a real possibility here. If Geno falters, it could be the Vick show for a good amount of 2014.

A big part of Geno's problem was that he had zero offensive weapons....this is one piece and now they need to continue to add. I don't hate Decker nearly as much as most people seem to....

Looks like $6M, $6M, $7M, $8M, $9M.

Nice deal by the Jets. Worst case is it's a 2 year/$15M deal, but more likely 3 years/$19M.
PFT has it at 7.5 million signing bonus and 2.5 salary in 2014. 5 million salary in 2015. All that is guaranteed. 15 million total.

Then 6.5, 7.25, 7.5 going forward from there. So a two year deal is 15 million, 3 year 21.5.

I don't think people should compare Eric Decker to the Wallace and Jennings signings. They are completely different situations and different individuals and different contracts. Decker is a big physical WR at 6 '3' and 220 pounds. He is not slow either as he runs a 4.53 forty. Decker was a great signing for the Jets and one that won't be as doomed as many on here are making it out to be.

Geno Smith has become underrated and under appreciated by the masses. I get that he was not great as a rookie, but there were a lot more positives in there that people are failing to see. Not only did Geno have one of the worst receiving cores in football last year, but it may have been one of the worst in the last 5 years. Receivers in and out of the line up and all of them playing within a new system and all of them are not very good. Furthermore, you also had a young QB that was splitting reps all training camp all the while trying to learn a new system with new players and in a much better league.

I think Geno is going to surprise a ton of people going forward. Geno gets a lot of flack for the type of person he is, but he is a super competitive guy that spends a ton of time working hard and is known as studying in the film room a ton. The offense was quite complex and if you give Geno a full off season, some weapons and room to continue to grow he is going to surprise a lot of people.

Getting Decker was a nice start.

I don't think people should compare Eric Decker to the Wallace and Jennings signings. They are completely different situations and different individuals and different contracts. Decker is a big physical WR at 6 '3' and 220 pounds. He is not slow either as he runs a 4.53 forty. Decker was a great signing for the Jets and one that won't be as doomed as many on here are making it out to be.

Geno Smith has become underrated and under appreciated by the masses. I get that he was not great as a rookie, but there were a lot more positives in there that people are failing to see. Not only did Geno have one of the worst receiving cores in football last year, but it may have been one of the worst in the last 5 years. Receivers in and out of the line up and all of them playing within a new system and all of them are not very good. Furthermore, you also had a young QB that was splitting reps all training camp all the while trying to learn a new system with new players and in a much better league.

I think Geno is going to surprise a ton of people going forward. Geno gets a lot of flack for the type of person he is, but he is a super competitive guy that spends a ton of time working hard and is known as studying in the film room a ton. The offense was quite complex and if you give Geno a full off season, some weapons and room to continue to grow he is going to surprise a lot of people.

Getting Decker was a nice start.
This is a good post. Made me at least think twice about my gut feeling towards Geno (which were :X ). I have at least moved my opinion to undecided then. Maybe a good cheap buy in the subscriber contest next year...

Greg Jennings was banged up and already over 30 when he signed with Minnesota and Mike Wallace wasn't as bad as you are implying last season. A better QB (and better o-ine) would have helped Wallace but he was still far from useless for fantasy teams.
Wallace had his worst PPG since 2009. The point is moving from an elite QB to a crappy one has a negative effect on free agent WRs. Plus the Jets plan on keeping Geno under 20 passes per game.

Textbook example on how to kill one's career. Bet he is cut loose before 2016. Wouldn't be surprised if he's gone after 1 year. Dude hit a $15 million lotto. That's it.

Wallace had his worst PPG since 2009. The point is moving from an elite QB to a crappy one has a negative effect on free agent WRs. Plus the Jets plan on keeping Geno under 20 passes per game.
I don't think anyone thinks Decker will be better playing with Geno than he was with Manning.

The bolded was started by some blog that was proven to be "speculation". Morningweig was actually a little too pass happy last year for having a rookie QB - don't think that is going to cange all that much.

Textbook example on how to kill one's career. Bet he is cut loose before 2016. Wouldn't be surprised if he's gone after 1 year. Dude hit a $15 million lotto. That's it.
He was not going to go to or get any situation favorable to what he just had in Denver. It appears the market for Decker was one where he was not seen as elite yet got very good WR 2 money. That is why it is fair for both.

What would you have liked him to do? The window to get paid in the NFL is small. He will be the starting wr on a team that was .500 last year with no offensive weapons to throw to on the field, perhaps he helps change that. There is a lot left to play out in this situation, but you are acting as if he is as good as dead. I don't think it is as gloomy as you may think.

I don't think anyone thinks Decker will be better playing with Geno than he was with Manning.

The bolded was started by some blog that was proven to be "speculation". Morningweig was actually a little too pass happy last year for having a rookie QB - don't think that is going to cange all that much.
Actually it was a respected draft expert that gets lots of inside info.

Decker definitely will not be better, it is just a matter of how much worse. I think he will end up disappointing like Jennings and Wallace did.

He was not going to go to or get any situation favorable to what he just had in Denver. It appears the market for Decker was one where he was not seen as elite yet got very good WR 2 money. That is why it is fair for both.

What would you have liked him to do? The window to get paid in the NFL is small. He will be the starting wr on a team that was .500 last year with no offensive weapons to throw to on the field, perhaps he helps change that. There is a lot left to play out in this situation, but you are acting as if he is as good as dead. I don't think it is as gloomy as you may think.
Detroit and Indy have good QB's and competitive teams where he still could have put up good numbers. He decided to take more money instead and he is now in the graveyard that is the offense of the Jets.

Detroit and Indy have good QB's and competitive teams where he still could have put up good numbers. He decided to take more money instead and he is now in the graveyard that is the offense of the Jets.
What a selfish jerk.

I'll never begrudge a player for wanting to get paid whatever the highest bidder deems as his maximum value, but word is that the Jets was Decker's first choice, and it just baffles me. I gotta think he could have gotten similar money from a few other teams, ones where Decker would have stood a higher chance at being productive. It makes me wonder if it is true that his wife pushed for this since she wanted to live in NY.

I'll never begrudge a player for wanting to get paid whatever the highest bidder deems as his maximum value, but word is that the Jets was Decker's first choice, and it just baffles me. I gotta think he could have gotten similar money from a few other teams, ones where Decker would have stood a higher chance at being productive. It makes me wonder if it is true that his wife pushed for this since she wanted to live in NY.
Could be a bit of both. Perhaps he was also enticed by a city such as New York and playing for a coach like Rex. Football players in general are competitive guys. I am sure he is not thinking oh I am going to be crap now that I am in a less favorable situation. I am sure he thinks he can and will produce well enough in the situation he is entering.

I don't see why he can't put up 75-85 catches for 1000-1200 yards and 7-10 tds.

Wonder how many of these doom and gloomers were the same people projecting irrelevance for Decker once Welker was signed last year.

Oh it's gloomy but I would probably take the $15 million for 2 years of work all day long. He will never see that kind of cash again so it was best to take it and be a loser on the field and a winner at the bank.

it's not the end of the world for him in FF, but let's be honest, this is the worst possible outcome for him.

There was some talk of Indi/NE/Carolina signing him, going to the Jets is the worst spot he could have signed.

What a selfish jerk.
That was not very nice of you.

I don't see anyone mentioning the Jets TE/WR corps. Unless it's a Calvin or Gordon or someone like that, sooner or later defenses will have to be distracted by other receiving options.

He was not going to go to or get any situation favorable to what he just had in Denver. It appears the market for Decker was one where he was not seen as elite yet got very good WR 2 money. That is why it is fair for both. What would you have liked him to do? The window to get paid in the NFL is small. He will be the starting wr on a team that was .500 last year with no offensive weapons to throw to on the field, perhaps he helps change that. There is a lot left to play out in this situation, but you are acting as if he is as good as dead. I don't think it is as gloomy as you may think.
Oh it's gloomy but I would probably take the $15 million for 2 years of work all day long. He will never see that kind of cash again so it was best to take it and be a loser on the field and a winner at the bank.
It's not like he went to Oakland or Cleveland, dude. The Jets look like a .500 team again, or better, from where I'm sitting. We care much more about stats in the FF world than NFL players do. And living in NY vs somewhere like Indy or Detroit was likely a pretty big selling point too.

Decker hasn't lost all FF value but he'll be nothing more than a bye week starter for me in 2014. At least until the Jets offense shows me he's more than that.

I think Geno Smith gets a really bad rap. He had some bad games, but in a number of games I saw a lot of promise. I think Decker is going to be quite under-valued.

It's not just the personnel issues the Jets have on offense, it's the coaching staff too. This was probably the worst possible landing spot for him from a fantasy perspective. But he got paid and he gets to live in NYC.

Ghost Rider said:
He has his own reality show with his wife which is about to start season 2. That probably played a very big part in the choice. This is the other reason I don't like Decker as much as others, as I think his TV show is a distraction from football. But it's a smart move for him and his wife.

Users who are viewing this thread