What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Gabriel Davis, JAC (2 Viewers)

Again, this is all about people overhyping the playoff game. If that never happened this thread would be ~5 pages long.
I could not disagree with this more. Most Davis boosters here went out of their way to *exclude* that 1 playoff game.

@barackdhouse & I went to great lengths to cover his entire young career up to that point.

This is a false narrative, and one that borders on insult in light of the absolute fact that those of us who were high on Davis explicitly did not do this.

At best, it shows you didn’t bother to read any of the posts from us.
It's obvious you disagree, but it's also obvious you desperately want to avoid admitting that you were too high on him for some reason. He's having his best year by a large margin, people who weren't too high on him have no reason to be disappointed with it. Also no reason to make stuff up like Allen is having a down year for passing when it's simply false.
The "his best year" take is gross rationalization given that he stepped into the #2 role, and there were a ton of vacated targets in one of the leagues most prolific offenses.

I know it’s crazy talk but after sitting him for most of the last half of the season I’m flexing his arse this week. Pierce was my usual flex but he’s been on IR. White from TB took Pierce’s spot but he’s been ho hum a bit since Lisfranc Lenny’s gotten hot. I need upside as I’m the 6 seed facing the much better team on paper. If he gets me 4/35 oh well but I don’t have anyone else on my roster capable of 100+ total yards and 1-2 TD’s. And I can’t resist the MNF timing (last game possible) which should be a shootout against the Bengals. Going down with the ship. Or winning the ‘ship.

Again, this is all about people overhyping the playoff game. If that never happened this thread would be ~5 pages long.
I could not disagree with this more. Most Davis boosters here went out of their way to *exclude* that 1 playoff game.

@barackdhouse & I went to great lengths to cover his entire young career up to that point.

This is a false narrative, and one that borders on insult in light of the absolute fact that those of us who were high on Davis explicitly did not do this.

It's obvious you disagree, but it's also obvious you desperately want to avoid admitting that you were too high on him for some reason. He's having his best year by a large margin, people who weren't too high on him have no reason to be disappointed with it. Also no reason to make stuff up like Allen is having a down year for passing when it's simply false.
The "his best year" take is gross rationalization given that he stepped into the #2 role, and there were a ton of vacated targets in one of the leagues most prolific offenses.
Ironic given that your entire post is gross rationalization. The #2 role last year was a slot guy, other players arrived to absorb some of those vacated targets, and the fact that he's in one of the league's most prolific offenses was well known and factored into his expectations.

His targets, receptions, yards, and fantasy points are all on pace to set new career highs by 40-50%. Anyone expecting a bigger jump than that was delusional IMO (or, more likely, overhyping the KC playoff game).

Ironic given that your entire post is gross rationalization. The #2 role last year was a slot guy, other players arrived to absorb some of those vacated targets, and the fact that he's in one of the league's most prolific offenses was well known and factored into his expectations.

His targets, receptions, yards, and fantasy points are all on pace to set new career highs by 40-50%. Anyone expecting a bigger jump than that was delusional IMO (or, more likely, overhyping the KC playoff game).

well said. Davis has been a WR3. Most (non-hyperbolic tongue in cheek) expectations were that he’d be a WR2. I believe I explicitly said if I got WR2 numbers out of him I’d be thrilled.

He hasn’t remotely been a bust. He’s just been inconsistent. He also had a sprained ankle (out 1, effected +2 games) and Allen has had elbow issues.

Admittedly, I legitimately expected a 10 TD season. No hyperbole there. I said it several times. I still feel like that was realistic had he not been out/limited for 3 games. And he could still get there with 3 in his last 2 games. He’s had a couple taken off the board by bad off-script throws (couple weeks ago Allen just barely missed him in the front of the end zone) but it’s a plus that Allen *always* looks for him on those off-script scramble throws.

And it’s worth noting that he basically never leaves the field. He’s their best blocking WR, benefiting their run game & helping others get open/extra yards. He’s also been clutch in several wins, a few times making a key late catch to keep GW drives going (even if his overall stat line wasn’t great). The point being that the Bills love the kid, and I doubt that changes for 2023.

If I’m to be critical, it would be nice to see him drop fewer passes, but again; he’s only 23. And I’m not sure he’s had that many drops - just a couple of very impactful ones that stand out as they would have been TDs.

Perhaps you've heard the phrase "Lies, damned lies, and statistics". It's about manipulating statistics to bolster a weak argument. And your argument is definitely weak sauce. Really? Is part of your excuse that other players stepped up to produce where Davis couldn't?

Davis is a 3rd year WR, who spent his first two seasons behind established veterans like Emmanuel Sanders and Cole Beasley, a PPR machine. Presenting the "jump" from 35 to ~50 receptions as a 50% improvement is lame given the opportunity and new role that Davis had in that offense.

The only irony is that the people who liked your post are among those who overhyped the play-off game and talked of Davis being worth multiple 1st round draft picks.

Perhaps you've heard the phrase "Lies, damned lies, and statistics". It's about manipulating statistics to bolster a weak argument. And your argument is definitely weak sauce. Really? Is part of your excuse that other players stepped up to produce where Davis couldn't?

Davis is a 3rd year WR, who spent his first two seasons behind established veterans like Emmanuel Sanders and Cole Beasley, a PPR machine. Presenting the "jump" from 35 to ~50 receptions as a 50% improvement is lame given the opportunity and new role that Davis had in that offense.

The only irony is that the people who liked your post are among those who overhyped the play-off game and talked of Davis being worth multiple 1st round draft picks.
Not sure who peed in your cheerios but that doesn't excuse your nonsense.

Speaking of weak sauce, Sanders wasn't even on the team for Davis' 1st year, and was on his 4th team in 4 seasons when he did join them and then promptly retired in the offseason. Beasley played an entirely different role in that offense, which apparently is where you're getting twisted. Why on earth would anyone expect Davis to pick up a ton of the targets that went to the slot?Yes, guys who play more of that role like McKenzie, Shakir, and even Cook helped fill that void.

Sorry if you erroneously thought Davis was a lot better than he was or that the Bills were going to change their offense to feature him for some reason but it isn't logical and obviously didn't happen. He is who he is and the numbers he had are pretty good increase if you actually want to be honest about the situation. :shrug:

if you actually want to be honest about the situation
Considering he’s now tried to project a blatant lie multiple times despite being corrected multiple times, I’m not sure “being honest about the situation” is his MO here.

@barackdhouse & I (and several others) specifically went out of our way to *exclude* the 4 TD playoff game from our evaluation of Davis.

Yet here he is again, projecting that our evaluations were based on that 4-TD game. Because that’s a fun narrative he can argue against, AKA the classic “straw man fallacy”.

Probably best to put on ignore. Other than when folks quote him, I find it very relaxing. :hifive:

You're bang on here. At least some people were able to say "I was wrong, he shouldn't have been taken that high". I took him in the 6th despite people screaming that he should be going round 4 at the latest, and I'll be the first to admit I took him too early. No matter how stubborn someone is, there's no way to spin it that he wasn't a bust this year. Let's call a spade a spade. People were shouting to take him WR15-20 and he's averaging the 36th most fantasy ppg for WR's in PPR, and 26th in standard.

Not sure who peed in your cheerios but that doesn't excuse your nonsense.

Speaking of weak sauce, Sanders wasn't even on the team for Davis' 1st year, and was on his 4th team in 4 seasons when he did join them and then promptly retired in the offseason. Beasley played an entirely different role in that offense, which apparently is where you're getting twisted. Why on earth would anyone expect Davis to pick up a ton of the targets that went to the slot?Yes, guys who play more of that role like McKenzie, Shakir, and even Cook helped fill that void.

Sorry if you erroneously thought Davis was a lot better than he was or that the Bills were going to change their offense to feature him for some reason but it isn't logical and obviously didn't happen. He is who he is and the numbers he had are pretty good increase if you actually want to be honest about the situation. :shrug:
Nonsense? From someone who can't admit Davis' move to a full-time starter didn't come with more expectations?

You're bang on here. At least some people were able to say "I was wrong, he shouldn't have been taken that high". I took him in the 6th despite people screaming that he should be going round 4 at the latest, and I'll be the first to admit I took him too early. No matter how stubborn someone is, there's no way to spin it that he wasn't a bust this year. Let's call a spade a spade. People were shouting to take him WR15-20 and he's averaging the 36th most fantasy ppg for WR's in PPR, and 26th in standard.
Another way to look at it is would you pay 3 firsts for a WR3. 2 firsts? Not saying this is his ceiling because there is upside, but there are multiple waiver wire picks each year that perform at WR3 or better each year.
So for those putting 2 or 3 firsts at his value in the off-season. I would say if this is what you expected then I would like to see your value on other players (chase, Jefferson, etc).

Gabe Davis caught 6-of-9 passes for 113 yards and a touchdown in the Bills' Wild Card Round win over the Dolphins.​

Before this game, Davis hadn't topped 100 receiving yards since Week 5. With the stakes higher than ever, Davis exploded for a handful of long catches and a toe-tapping touchdown in the second half. He also tied Stefon Diggs for a team-high in targets. Though not the most consistent player, Davis can change the fortunes of his team at any moment. He will be a high-ceiling fantasy option for the Bills' Divisional Round game next week.
Jan 15, 2023, 5:22 PM ET

Gabe Davis caught 6-of-9 passes for 113 yards and a touchdown in the Bills' Wild Card Round win over the Dolphins.​

Before this game, Davis hadn't topped 100 receiving yards since Week 5. With the stakes higher than ever, Davis exploded for a handful of long catches and a toe-tapping touchdown in the second half. He also tied Stefon Diggs for a team-high in targets. Though not the most consistent player, Davis can change the fortunes of his team at any moment. He will be a high-ceiling fantasy option for the Bills' Divisional Round game next week.

Really looking forward to folks telling us how much Davis sucks after a 6/113/1 game. Gonna be quality FF analysis.

ETA: this post was directed at no one in particular; but to the FF community at large who seems intent on bizarrely trashing a player after they had a good game.

Last edited:
WR 36 in my league. Totally back-end WR3.

Congrats if you continued to get in fights, take receipts, hang your hat upon, or otherwise cast aspersions on others' opinions about this mediocre mediocrity (from either side).
Correct. He can’t possibly get better. He’s over the hill at 23.

Correct. He can’t possibly get better. He’s over the hill at 23.

WR56, WR60, WR36

He's had his three years. You predicted 80/1000/8 this year.

You were way off. Don't dredge this up again because it won't end well.
Wasn’t exactly a prediction. I was hoping for that. I believe I said that was his upside. :rolleyes:

I ain’t dredging anything up.

Calling this his 3rd year when it’s his first as a starter is disingenuous though.

Calling this his 3rd year when it’s his first as a starter is disingenuous though.

No, it's not. And I'll tell you why. Because if he was good enough, he would have been starting his first year. Like Drake London did this year. Like Chris Olave did this year. Like Garrett Wilson did. Like Jahan Dotson did. Like George Pickens. Like Christian Watson did the second half of the year.

All 2022 guys, including three late firsts. Each one of them scored approximately what Davis did this year, only they did it in their first year.

This is not good for my sanity. You want to re-hash this after the year he had and after you watched the rest of the league.

Update: Keeptradecut has his value as unfair if you offer a 2023 second round pick. It's unfair to the pick holder.

Good day about Davis.

No, it's not. And I'll tell you why. Because if he was good enough, he would have been starting his first year. Like Drake London did this year. Like Chris Olave did this year. Like Garrett Wilson did. Like Jahan Dotson did. Like George Pickens. Like Christian Watson did the second half of the year.

All 2022 guys, including three late firsts. Each one of them scored approximately what Davis did this year, only they did it in their first year.

This is not good for my sanity. You want to re-hash this after the year he had and after you watched the rest of the league.

Update: Keeptradecut has his value as unfair if you offer a 2023 second round pick. It's unfair to the pick holder.

Good day about Davis.
I’m not rehashing anything, friend.

I just don’t appreciate your projection. I “predicted” no such thing.

As for whether he’d be starting year 1 or not we can agree to disagree. It’s pretty well documented why he wasn’t.

But you do you. Have a nice day.

For the record: I was wrong about Gabe Davis this year.

I have not been shy about admitting that.

By all means, pile on if it makes anyone feel better. He had a nice game today and I think he has a good future.

Anyone kicking in an open door can pound sand.

His starting role seems solidified. 80/1000/8 seems pretty well within reach, and IMO one would be hard pressed to land a 2022 rookie that could deliver the same upside.

There you go. Page Nine. And you kept repeating this line throughout the thread.
“Seems pretty well within reach” is not a prediction.

Obviously.
:rolleyes:

Thanks for quoting that to prove me right.

Last edited:
By all means, pile on if it makes anyone feel better. He had a nice game today and I think he has a good future.

Anyone kicking in an open door can pound sand.

I agree. But saying that anybody who warned about his performance this year wasn't using good fantasy analysis while rolling your eyes sure sounds like a re-hash.

Really looking forward to folks telling us how much Davis sucks after a 6/113/1 game. Gonna be quality FF analysis. :rolleyes:

I mean, you can't say that and then say you're not re-hashing the debate.

“Seems well within reach” is not a prediction.

Obviously.
:rolleyes:

Thanks for quoting that to prove me right.

Seems well within reach and then quoting it repeatedly in the thread sure sounds like that's what you were expecting from him.

I'm not into semantics. The only reason you can plausibly deny this is because you hedged and didn't outright say he was going to score that. But you sure repeated it enough and posited it. That seems like a prediction to me.

You can lie about my quote and call it a prediction so I can do whatever I like.

********. ********. ********.

You came in here rolling your eyes about people who warned about this guy -- AND WERE RIGHT AND SOLID IN THEIR REASONING AND PROCESS -- and you're accusing them of now lying. Take your receipts, man. **** this. I'm done.

Nice edit. I reported your 1st one. Glad I quoted it.

Super classy.

Nice FF analysis in this thread, bra.

Good work.
At the time I thought it was.

Sorry I’m not always right about everything.

What can I say - my analysis felt right at the time. Sorry if you didn’t appreciate it.

I was wrong. It happens. I was hardly alone. A ton of FF writers and board members were saying much of the same.

The player still looks like he has future value based on a good game today.

Hardly seems worth telling someone to “eat a ****” over.

Sorry I’m not always right about everything.

It's not that. I can be found being wrong on these boards about diverse players as early as making stupid positive reviews of Tim Tebow when I was first here to incorrect musings about Austin Ekeler a few years back to pooh-poohing Jerick McKinnon as a redraft possibility this year. And I take my receipts for these things.

So what I don't get is why you'd announce that somehow bad "fantasy analysis" would follow from people who don't agree with your position about Davis, followed by an eye-roll emoji.

Especially when the arguments that argued against his predicted success this year proved rather prescient and sound. It makes no sense to me, I guess. And that's the last I'll say about it.

But even I look at the numbers and think, “ok, that just not realistic” - except that’s what he’s been doing. The numbers are what they are.

So I try to keep my expectations a bit more modest at 80-ish, ~1000-ish, ~10-Ish.

And as you say - that’s rock solid for his ADP. And an excellent point about his potential Vs the players going around him.

I have both Davis & ARSB in my rebuild team, and in redraft I’d pick Davis 100 out of 100 times. And it’d be an easy call.

"keep my expectations a bit more modest" sure sounds like you're predicting something. No upside mention there.

Again, this is so you know I'm not lying. It's all over the thread. The next guy says

I know, and I feel the same way about him as your post a few posts up.
80/1000/10, but then you watch him and josh play and it's like, 17 games, a couple multi-touchdown games, a couple no-touchdown games, yeah 10-15 TD's seems 100% reasonable

So 80/1000/10 kept getting repeated as expectation by at least three members of this board, including you.

Lying? No way, man. No how.

So what I don't get is why you'd announce that somehow bad "fantasy analysis" would follow from people who don't agree with your position about Davis, followed by an eye-roll emoji.
I didn’t. I said I looked forward to people explaining why he was terrible after a good game. It wasn’t directed at you.

Have a good night.

So 80/1000/10 kept getting repeated as expectation by at least three members of this board, including you.
I can’t control what others post; only myself.

At the time I felt that was a good upside projection. His ceiling, as I said.

It was not a prediction nor expectation. I”” generously say you’re not lying; merely misunderstanding or misinterpreting, or projecting. But it’s 100% clear based on the quote you posted that I made no such prediction.

Again, have a good night. I am done with this.

Last edited:

Really looking forward to folks telling us how much Davis sucks after a 6/113/1 game. Gonna be quality FF analysis.

ETA: this post was directed at no one in particular; but to the FF community at large who seems intent on trashing a player after they had a good game.
Do people think he sucks? Man, I’m a huge fan. Today was awesome — it’s what happens when the Bills freaking target the dude more than 5x per game.

Do people think he sucks? Man, I’m a huge fan. Today was awesome — it’s what happens when the Bills freaking target the dude more than 5x per game.
Very much so yes.

He was such a disappointment this year that his value has imploded & apparently has no future.
Respectfully HSG, the biggest debate I recall was about how high he could finish this year without greater target volume. Most people like his talent — there was concern about finishing in the WR2 range without sufficient volume. There may be a few naysayers, but IMO (based on recollection) that was a minority view.

Would love to see Buffalo feed him the ball more…..especially on mid-range passes. Too often they just send him deep which contributes to his boom/bust performance.

Anyway. Big fan.

Very much so yes.

He was such a disappointment this year that his value has imploded & apparently has no future.
Respectfully HSG, the biggest debate I recall was about how high he could finish this year without greater target volume. Most people like his talent — there was concern about finishing in the WR2 range without sufficient volume. There may be a few naysayers, but IMO (based on recollection) that was a minority view.

Would love to see Buffalo feed him the ball more…..especially on mid-range passes. Too often they just send him deep which contributes to his boom/bust performance.

Anyway. Big fan.
I agree completely. When targeted he performs. No disrespect taken.

I had hoped for 100+ targets, largely due to the ones vacated in BUF and his promotion to a full time role. I was wrong. He didn’t get as many targets or receptions. Obviously, I was wrong there. There’s no crystal ball.

I still think he has a bright future, and maybe I’m a fool for that.

and hey, lesson learned - I’ll never, ever say what I believe any player’s potential future upside is on this forum again. This topic is a perfect example of why.

Last edited:
Very much so yes.

Anyway. Big fan.

I had hoped for 100 targets, largely due to the ones vacated in BUF and his promotion to a full time role. I was wrong. He didn’t get as many targets or receptions. Obviously, I was wrong there. There’s no crystal ball.

and hey, lesson learned - I’ll never, ever say what I believe any player’s potential future upside is on this forum again. This topic is a perfect example of why.
He actually had 93 targets this year. His TD % dropped, which is probably just regression to the mean or randomness. In an alternate universe, he probably still would have had 750-950 yards this year, but who knows, he could have had anywhere from say 4 to 12 TDs this year. Just a couple more random deep passes drop in right and he’s a beast.

FWIW, in my non-PPR league he was #28 in PPG this year, and #24 in total points at WR. I hadn’t checked until today. I’m sure it looks much worse in PPR, but thankfully I don’t play in a league that rewards 3-yard dump off passes.

Edit to add: 93 targets, 48 catches, 836 yards, and 7 TDs in 15 games.

Very much so yes.

Anyway. Big fan.

I had hoped for 100 targets, largely due to the ones vacated in BUF and his promotion to a full time role. I was wrong. He didn’t get as many targets or receptions. Obviously, I was wrong there. There’s no crystal ball.

He actually had 93 targets this year. His TD % dropped, which is probably just regression to the mean or randomness. In an alternate universe, he probably still would have had 750-950 yards this year, but who knows, he could have had anywhere from say 4 to 12 TDs this year. Just a couple more random deep passes drop in right and he’s a beast.

FWIW, in my non-PPR league he was #28 in PPG this year, and #24 in total points at WR. I hadn’t checked until today. I’m sure it looks much worse in PPR, but thankfully I don’t play in a league that rewards 3-yard dump off passes.

Edit to add: 93 targets, 48 catches, 836 yards, and 7 TDs in 15 games.
It does look worse in PPR. Basically the difference between a back end WR2 & a back end WR3.

Also not helpful to his cause was the 3-4 game stretch after the high ankle sprain in practice. That wasn’t helpful to his production, or efficiency

Respect to him for gutting out those 3 games - but no one cares about that when looking at his numbers on a per-game basis. It is what it is.

And yeah - there were quite a few games with “just missed” connections on Allen scramble plays, and yes, a few big dropped passes as well.

Overall I think the Bills were happy with him - he never left the field and was a great blocker, both in the run and downfield on Allen runs. Not a lot of fantasy points awarded for those things, but they bode well for his PT in the future.

But I won’t defend Davis’ 2022 season. It clearly wasn’t what I wanted, and I do think he left some meat on the bone for FF purposes. Again, it is what it is. I get some right, I get some wrong, I feel like this one was somewhere in between.

Others will disagree. That’s fair.

Users who are viewing this thread