What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR George Pickens, PIT (1 Viewer)

Obviously Pickens played well but I think that explosion yesterday had more than a little to do with the terrible Cincy pass defense. Decent chance anyone who starts him next week gets burned trying to ride the tail of a fireball.

Next Gen Stats
George Pickens finished with 4 receptions for 195 yards & 2 TDs on 6 targets while generating career-highs in receiving yards over expected (+139) & YAC over expected (+90).

Pickens’ +139 receiving YOE are the 3rd-most in a game by any receiver since 2018.

#CINvsPIT | #HereWeGo

"Career highs" in made-up stats lol.
Every stat is made up. The whole sport of football is made up.
:rolleyes:

Who else has this guy on the bench? Unreal production on 6 targets. I did a triple take when I checked his PPR points thinking my app had a malfunction as I couldn't watch the game. Were those long touchdowns due to busted coverage?

Were those long touchdowns due to busted coverage?
First one wasn't so much busted coverage, but a missed tackle/bad angle by both Bengal safeties. Rudolph hit Pickens on a pretty traditional slant where he'd gotten a half a step on his guy. Good play for an easy first down...until the FS came up and lowered his head. Pickens juked around it, then he beat the other safety coming in pursuit in a foot race and housed it.

Second one I wasn't in the room to see, so can't comment there.

First one wasn't so much busted coverage, but a missed tackle/bad angle by both Bengal safeties. Rudolph hit Pickens on a pretty traditional slant where he'd gotten a half a step on his guy. Good play for an easy first down...until the FS came up and lowered his head. Pickens juked around it, then he beat the other safety coming in pursuit in a foot race and housed it.

None of his catches were broken coverage. He just put forth the effort and had a QB and game plan that finally targeted him.

None of his catches were broken coverage. He just put forth the effort and had a QB and game plan that finally targeted him.

It is not a question of talent with Pickens...the issues are all between the ears.

It is not a question of talent with Pickens...the issues are all between the ears.
Agreed, he has a lot of maturing to do, but some of his outbreaks and general malaise have been due to a sub par offensive scheme and at times bad QB play. Not giving him a pass, it's not acceptable, just that there are other factors out of his control.

Agreed, he has a lot of maturing to do, but some of his outbreaks and general malaise have been due to a sub par offensive scheme and at times bad QB play. Not giving him a pass, it's not acceptable, just that there are other factors out of his control.

The issue is this was the book on him coming out of Georgia...if the kid can mature the sky is the limit but he needs to grow up to be trusted,

Who else has this guy on the bench? Unreal production on 6 targets. I did a triple take when I checked his PPR points thinking my app had a malfunction as I couldn't watch the game. Were those long touchdowns due to busted coverage?
My opponent had him on his bench.

He didn’t have Amari Cooper on his bench

Next Gen Stats
George Pickens finished with 4 receptions for 195 yards & 2 TDs on 6 targets while generating career-highs in receiving yards over expected (+139) & YAC over expected (+90).

Pickens’ +139 receiving YOE are the 3rd-most in a game by any receiver since 2018.

#CINvsPIT | #HereWeGo

Sure, but at least receptions, yards and TDs are an accepted and understood measure. Receiving yards over expected? Essentially, that's just exceeding expectations. Or, in other words, we thought you would suck today!

Next Gen Stats

#CINvsPIT | #HereWeGo

Sure, but at least receptions, yards and TDs are an accepted and understood measure. Receiving yards over expected? Essentially, that's just exceeding expectations. Or, in other words, we thought you would suck today!
That’s not quite what it is. Yards over expectation is based on what the NFL average is - essentially how much better a player performed given the NFL average for their targets based on down, distance, depth of a target, etc. So like if a player catches a 5 yard curl at midfield in the first quarter and the player breaks 2 tackles and scores a 50 yard TD that’s a huge + for their expected yards because typically a 5 yard curl at midfield only would result in something like 5-10 yards.

A hot Finals Bowl waiver move in one of my leagues, was cut several weeks back and I really didn't have room in non-PPR
Either take him as a defensive move or watch him fall to my opponent, small rosters and limited bench spots

Was Pickens out of action today? Saw a goose egg in the stats, but couldn’t tell whether Pickens played or not.

Thought he was going to be the fantasy WR1 I lost when Julio Jones fell off (Keep 6 league). Now it looks like Jayden Reed and Rashee Rice have vaulted right over Pickens and made the Steelers wideout unkeepable.

Now it looks like Jayden Reed and Rashee Rice have vaulted right over Pickens and made the Steelers wideout unkeepable.

Considering my advice to you about Zamir White went so swimmingly, let me inquire about this . . .

Is it a keeper league or short dynasty bench?

I'll keep any advice to myself. I just want to see how you're valuing Pickens.

16-man rosters, six players are kept. The other ten are thrown back into the pile.

I thought Pickens was a hammerlock to at least become something like peak Mike Wallace. Steelers #1 WR had been fantasy gold for over 20 years running. Even with Big Ben retired, I figured the team would keep it all going somehow.

The way things look right this second .., Jayden Reed looks to like a good bet to be the Packers best fantasy WR in 2024. Same for Rashee Rice with the Chiefs. I’d have to rank Pickens behind both those guys … and I’m not keeping three receivers, so Pickens would be the odd man out.

16-man rosters, six players are kept. The other ten are thrown back into the pile.

I thought Pickens was a hammerlock to at least become something like peak Mike Wallace. Steelers #1 WR had been fantasy gold for over 20 years running. Even with Big Ben retired, I figured the team would keep it all going somehow.

The way things look right this second .., Jayden Reed looks to like a good bet to be the Packers best fantasy WR in 2024. Same for Rashee Rice with the Chiefs. I’d have to rank Pickens behind both those guys … and I’m not keeping three receivers, so Pickens would be the odd man out.
My advice is to keep him as long as you physically can. Pickens is an uber talented WR in an offense with QBs who are actively bad. If PIT were to go out and get a talented QB, Pickens immediately becomes gold. TBH, I don't see PIT running it back with Pickett/Trubs/Rudolph next season. The DEF that carried them all season is in an increasingly closing window and they are a QB away from competing.
If PIT doesn't make a move before your cut deadline, then he's good to cut. Otherwise, hold.

My advice is to keep him as long as you physically can. Pickens is an uber talented WR in an offense with QBs who are actively bad. If PIT were to go out and get a talented QB, Pickens immediately becomes gold. TBH, I don't see PIT running it back with Pickett/Trubs/Rudolph next season. The DEF that carried them all season is in an increasingly closing window and they are a QB away from competing.
If PIT doesn't make a move before your cut deadline, then he's good to cut. Otherwise, hold.

I think the Steelers would love to upgrade the QB position but the question is what are their options.

I wouldn’t base yesterdays game on anything. They didn’t throw the ball much at all and it was clearly gameplanned for the tes and rbs for get them a tough win.

As far as gb goes. Reed looks darn good for sure but that team is stacked with young wrs who flash. The best wr on the team hasn’t peaked imo. Reed could find himself third in targets next year pretty easily. I’m not forecasting gb wrs for that very reason. I’ll take the cheaper options where I can just to have a part of the group. This is just something id consider as I believe Pickens has a higher ceiling than reed or rice. However I’d be super tempted to keep all three.

I think the Steelers would love to upgrade the QB position but the question is what are their options.
I was thinking about this last night. I couldn’t come up with anything that points the arrow up other a deal with chicago. I’m not sure they would even entertain that idea though when guys like penix and nix will be around a bit later.

There are options. Free agents or less than a 1st trades include Fields, Howell, Cousins, Wilson to name a few. They are also in position to get into the 2nd/3rd tier of rookie QBs like Nix and McCarthy and the possibility (not likely knowing the Steelers) of trading up to grab one of the big 3 rookies.

I was thinking about this last night. I couldn’t come up with anything that points the arrow up other a deal with chicago. I’m not sure they would even entertain that idea though when guys like penix and nix will be around a bit later.

Fields does seem like an obvious one if he is moved...I have a feeling that his price is going to be a little higher than expected due to competition...as for the QBs if they targeting one I don't think they can just sit back and target one at their draft position and the question is if it is a Nix or JJM how soon will they be ready to play...if Penix's knee checks out OK I think he will be gone before the Steelers draft.

Just hope he can get to some level of consistency. Pretty sure I never owned a WR who put up 1,140 yards I had less weekly confidence in and was on my bench as much as him.
Exactly. It’s OK to have down weeks. But multiple zeroes during a season are killers.

EDIT: Five 100-yard games this season, and five games of 25 yards or less. Also, between weeks 9 and 15 (seven games), Pickens put up a total of 292 yards and zero TDs. With that run, there was no way we could start him for the fantasy semifinals if we had any other options. Then he goes and blows up :kicksrock:

Last edited:
Just hope he can get to some level of consistency. Pretty sure I never owned a WR who put up 1,140 yards I had less weekly confidence in and was on my bench as much as him.

Agreed...kid is a total enigma right now...so much going on...super-talented but head-case tendencies...capable of winning you one week than doing nothing the next week...only 22 but no idea who his QB of the future will be...no clue what to do with him...on one-hand it is appealing to move on from him and let someone else deal with it but on the other-hand the return would probably not be anything special and you could really regret moving him...unfortunately I think the best bet is too sit tight but make sure you are not in a position where you have to rely on him.

Agreed...kid is a total enigma right now...so much going on...super-talented but head-case tendencies...capable of winning you one week than doing nothing the next week...only 22 but no idea who his QB of the future will be...no clue what to do with him...on one-hand it is appealing to move on from him and let someone else deal with it but on the other-hand the return would probably not be anything special and you could really regret moving him...unfortunately I think the best bet is too sit tight but make sure you are not in a position where you have to rely on him.
1000% agree about consistency. No way anyone but the most decimated, desperate teams started Pickens for the games he blew up. I know he was always on my bench the game when he did well, and I reluctantly started him some weeks only to get <10 ppr points.

I’m not super stoked about Russ. I’ll be honest Pickens doesn’t seem like a Russ type of favorite wr. I hope Russ ends up having a ton of trust in him but I’m not sold that he will.

I'll be looking to sell Pickens this offseason if I can get a decent return. He's clearly the Steelers WR1 now but his QB has really struggled since leaving SEA.

Users who are viewing this thread