What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Michael Crabtree, Free Agent (3 Viewers)

Rotoworld:

Michael Crabtree secured 5-of-7 targets for 58 yards in the 49ers' Week 12 win over the Redskins.

Anquan Boldin dominated the receiving workload for San Francisco on Sunday, parlaying a team-high 12 targets into a 9-137-1 line. Crabtree was effective with his opportunities but failed to register big plays against the Redskins' soft pass defense. Still, we've seen enough progress from Crabtree in recent weeks that he's earned a weekly WR3 place in fantasy lineups. Unfortunately, Crabtree is next slated for a difficult Week 13 matchup with Seattle on Thanksgiving Night.

Nov 23 - 7:31 PM

Rotoworld:

Michael Crabtree briefly exited the 49ers' Week 12 game against the Seahawks with what the team called a rib injury.
Crabtree was sandwiched between Kam Chancellor and Bobby Wagner after making his first reception. His left leg appeared to buckle underneath the tackle, but he was announced as questionable to return with a rib injury. Crabtree returned to the game on the next series.

Nov 27 - 8:44 PM

With his ups and downs this season and unpredictability going forward I'm considering dropping Crabtree for Landry or just another D/ST. The SF offense is atrocious this year, and when it has its bright spots the passing game has typically gone through Boldin. He also plays SEA again (at home) in week 15 where you'd have to be crazy to start him. That leaves next week at OAK and SD week 16 for those of us fortunate enought to make it to our respective championship games. What is everyone else doing with him?

BUY BUY BUY IN DYNASTY

Free agent this summer, and this guy can't waiiiit to get the F outta Dodge.

Got him for a 2015 2nd (mid) roundround pick and I couldnt be happier... In PPR, I still see him as a WR2 w WR1 upside if he lands in the right spot.

This season, an absolute write off

BUY BUY BUY IN DYNASTY

Free agent this summer, and this guy can't waiiiit to get the F outta Dodge.

Got him for a 2015 2nd (mid) roundround pick and I couldnt be happier... In PPR, I still see him as a WR2 w WR1 upside if he lands in the right spot.

This season, an absolute write off
Yeah, I have him in my dynasty auction league. He is expensive enough that I could cut and use the funds to buy another player. I might see if I can onto him somehow because it can't get any worse for him than this year.

Drafted him as my WR1 in a 16-teamer, so I've had to roll him out there almost every week. Fortunately, sent him to my bench this week due to the match-up, but may have to go back to the well next week vs. OAK (my alternatives are Fitz, Hawkins and Charles Johnson).

If only we had all listened to Richard Sherman!

Rotoworld:

Michael Crabtree - WR - 49ers

Michael Crabtree (knee) is listed as questionable for Week 16.

Crabtree practiced the last two days and is on track to start against the Chargers. He's the No. 46 wideout in Rotoworld's Week 16 rankings.

Dec 19 - 5:25 PM

Rotowolrd:

Michael Crabtree (knee) was limited to 15 snaps in Saturday's loss to the Chargers.

Crabtree gutted it out through a questionable tag, but wasn't right and didn't want to push it in a meaningless game. He did have to come back into the overtime contest late after other members of the receiving corps got nicked up. Consider Crabtree very questionable for the finale.

Source: San Francisco Chronicle
Dec 22 - 12:13 PM

Is anyone buying on Crabtree? He's been a dynasty hold all year as far as I can see. I haven't seen anyone really interested in him, and with the poor season he had, his situation hasn't improved much. He would have to go to an awesome situation before his value were to improve, and even then I don't see anyone giving a 1st round pick (or equivalent) for him.

He's out of SF I think. His value depends on where he lands. He's not a number one on any team either. Hopefully he finds a team that is able to pass with some success.

Only way I'd buy on Crabtree is if I hear that his struggles this year were due to lingering injuries, and that those are now behind him. But Achilles/foot injuries to a WR are no joke, and there's no guarantee he ever gets his explosiveness back.

Rotoworld:

Michael Crabtree - WR - 49ers

Michael Crabtree secured 4-of-4 targets for 41 yards in the 49ers' Week 17 win over the Cardinals.

Crabtree's 2014 campaign was a huge disappointment, ending with a 68-698-4 receiving line. He tore his Achilles' in the 2013 offseason and has seemingly never regained his old explosion. For the most part, Crabtree has been an inconsistent possession receiver in the pros, and he dropped way more passes than usual this year. It's fair to wonder if his career is now headed in a Hakeem Nicksian direction. An impending free agent, Crabtree won't be back with the Niners and may have to settle for a short-term deal elsewhere. Crabtree turned 27 this past September and seemingly has an arrow pointing down.

Dec 28 - 7:58 PM

Rotoworld:

The Sacramento Bee says it seems "unlikely" free agent Michael Crabtree will re-sign with the 49ers.

The 49ers were frustrated with Crabtree's play and he was frustrated with his role last season, when he topped 85 yards zero times while posting a meager 68-698-4 line in 16 games. He recently removed any mention of the 49ers from his Twitter bio. So the 27-year-old Crabtree will hit the open market with plenty of possession-receiver talent but also questions about his ability to truly threaten defenses. He's our No. 6 free agent wideout, just behind Jeremy Maclin and Torrey Smith, and has a chance to be a steal at a discounted price. The 49ers' presumed starting wideouts in 2015 right now are Anquan Boldin and Stevie Johnson.

Source: Sacramento Bee
Feb 17 - 10:56 AM

Rotoworld:

The Sacramento Bee says it seems "unlikely" free agent Michael Crabtree will re-sign with the 49ers.

The 49ers were frustrated with Crabtree's play and he was frustrated with his role last season, when he topped 85 yards zero times while posting a meager 68-698-4 line in 16 games. He recently removed any mention of the 49ers from his Twitter bio. So the 27-year-old Crabtree will hit the open market with plenty of possession-receiver talent but also questions about his ability to truly threaten defenses. He's our No. 6 free agent wideout, just behind Jeremy Maclin and Torrey Smith, and has a chance to be a steal at a discounted price. The 49ers' presumed starting wideouts in 2015 right now are Anquan Boldin and Stevie Johnson.

Source: Sacramento Bee
Feb 17 - 10:56 AM
Good for the 49ers. The guy is an average receiver at best.

Rotoworld:

The 49ers plan to meet with the player rep for free agent Michael Crabtree at the NFL Combine.
Crabtree is a homegrown talent and the 49ers would probably like to retain him, but only at a reasonable price after the most disappointing season of his career. Crabtree simply hasn't been the same player since tearing his Achilles' tendon during the 2013 offseason. He's entering his age-28 season.

Source: Matt Barrows on Twitter
Feb 18 - 11:46 AM

Soulfly3 said:
Buy Low while you can
What do you think this guys upside is?
All depends if he can stay healthy - Motivation will be there because he's getting the hell out of SF, where he hasnt wanted to be for some time.

He's a 100 catch guy in PPR in the right system. The talent is there. The hunger and lack of injuries wasnt.
Talk from KC is to reunite him with Alex Smith. Could his value actually drop from SF?

Would love to see him across from Kelvin Benjamin. Or give Tannehill a player whose talents compliment his.

Soulfly3 said:
Buy Low while you can
As noted in another post, with Crabtree it's where does he land? He needs a QB who can anticipate routes and is about as bad a fit as it gets with an "I gotta see it before I throw it" QB like Kaep. As a possession receiver in Minnesota, Indy or KC he should thrive. Put him in the dysfunctional environs of Cleveland or QB barren Buffalo and he likely reprises his awful 2014.What I really like about Crabtree's potential in 2015, as demonstrated by a number of posts on this thread, is he figures to be significantly misvalued as many don't seem to get that his production is so dependent on QB play.

Rotoworld:

The 49ers plan to meet with the player rep for free agent Michael Crabtree at the NFL Combine.
Crabtree is a homegrown talent and the 49ers would probably like to retain him, but only at a reasonable price after the most disappointing season of his career. Crabtree simply hasn't been the same player since tearing his Achilles' tendon during the 2013 offseason. He's entering his age-28 season.

Source: Matt Barrows on Twitter
Feb 18 - 11:46 AM
If they want to retain him, why didn't they use him last year? Seems like he'd be better off somewhere else.

ol blues said:
Soulfly3 said:
Buy Low while you can
As noted in another post, with Crabtree it's where does he land? He needs a QB who can anticipate routes and is about as bad a fit as it gets with an "I gotta see it before I throw it" QB like Kaep. As a possession receiver in Minnesota, Indy or KC he should thrive. Put him in the dysfunctional environs of Cleveland or QB barren Buffalo and he likely reprises his awful 2014.What I really like about Crabtree's potential in 2015, as demonstrated by a number of posts on this thread, is he figures to be significantly misvalued as many don't seem to get that his production is so dependent on QB play.
KC? :lmao:

Rotoworld:

A source tells CSN Bay Area free agent Michael Crabtree is not expected to re-sign with the 49ers.

The 49ers are interested in bringing back Crabtree, but the interest is apparently not mutual. Former teammate Perrish Cox suggested Crabtree wants to go to a team that places more of an emphasis on the passing game. With Demaryius Thomas, Dez Bryant and Randall Cobb all off the market, Crabtree is our No. 4 free agent wideout available.

Source: CSN Bay Area
Mar 8 - 3:24 PM

Rotoworld:

Michael Crabtree - WR - Free Agent

The San Jose Mercury News "hasn't heard a peep" about free agent Michael Crabtree.

Nor have we. Crabtree has yet to line up any known visits, while even informal connections haven't been dreamed up in the media. Crabtree is only 28 (in September), but had a disappointing 2014 both on paper and film. He hasn't looked the same since tearing his Achilles' tendon in 2013. He's reportedly not interested in re-signing with the 49ers, but his market could eventually force his hand.

Related: 49ers

Source: Can Inman on Twitter

Mar 11 - 12:45 AM

take a 1 year deal with Denver and get your stats up, then head to New Orleans the following year to replace Colton.

take a 1 year deal with Denver and get your stats up, then head to New Orleans the following year to replace Colton.
Why would Denver do that?

Would enjoy seeing him play in Seattle, practice against Sherman.

Rotoworld:

According to CSN Bay Area's Matt Maiocco, free agent Michael Crabtree has no interest in re-signing with the 49ers.

Per Maiocco, "the 49ers rank 33rd (give or take) among teams on which he’d prefer to play next season." Of course, there are only 32 teams in the league, so the 49ers are an absolute last resort for Crabtree. The problem is Crabtree has drawn zero known interest from outside clubs since the season ended, with only the 49ers rumored to have interest in a reunion. The feeling isn't mutual. Crabtree is still just 27, but runs like he's 32 and never had separation skills from the start.

Related: 49ers

Source: Matt Maiocco on Twitter
Mar 13 - 4:12 PM

^^

I distinctly remember Crabtree torching the NYG for a longish TD just this past season...

I truly believe he had little to no motivation last season and it's being perceived as "he's slow and cant separate" etc... 2 of the first 3 games of the season, inc one against ARZ, he was on fire.... When the ball stopped going his way, he ####ed out.

I think he's far from done, and will be a solid PPR play this season. If Im guessing, he goes to a good team on a low risk contract

^^

I distinctly remember Crabtree torching the NYG for a longish TD just this past season...

I truly believe he had little to no motivation last season and it's being perceived as "he's slow and cant separate" etc... 2 of the first 3 games of the season, inc one against ARZ, he was on fire.... When the ball stopped going his way, he ####ed out.

I think he's far from done, and will be a solid PPR play this season. If Im guessing, he goes to a good team on a low risk contract
When guys like Crabtree and Nicks are getting no calls until days after the FA frenzy has died down, that's a red flag to me. i don't have to evaluate him, 31 teams are doing that for me. He's low on my want dynasty list.

Wouldn't Houston/Oakland/KC be landing spots that need a starting WR? What about the Patriots? SuperBowl or not, I am not impressed with their WR core.

Rotoworld:

ESPN Redskins reporter John Keim reports Washington has expressed interest in free agent WR Michael Crabtree, but the Chargers are "a stronger possibility."

This is the first we have heard about either link, and the first solid interest Crabtree has garnered since free agency began. Crabtree's skills have declined dramatically since he tore his Achilles' in 2013, but he is the best remaining receiver in a picked-over market. He should find a new home soon.

Related: Chargers, Redskins

Source: John Keim on Twitter
Mar 14 - 11:19 AM

Teams will put up with 1100 yard Divas. 600 yard Divas, not so much.
This. I'd love to see someone break down tape of Crabtree from last season. Just didn't seem like he was getting separation. And given his ego, injury history, and subpar performance in 2014......hard to imagine that he will easily "settle" for a reasonable-sized contract this year. Maybe, just maybe, that is why he hasn't signed anywhere yet.

Florio's PFT blurb today about this:

Some veteran receivers are getting no sniffs

Posted by Mike Florio on March 17, 2015, 6:14 PM EDT
crabtree.jpg
For several players, the free-agency market for receivers has been better than expected. For others, it’s been worse.

Randall Cobb got $10 million per year to stay with the Packers, and Jeremy Maclin will be paid $11 million per year to go to the Chiefs. Torrey Smith parlayed a so-so contract year into $8 million annually from the 49ers.

Other receivers with recognizable names are still waiting. Some have essentially disappeared from view. Per a league source, there’s currently little or no market for 49ers receiver Michael Crabtree and Colts receiver Hakeem Nicks. Likewise, Colts receiver Reggie Wayne has been MIA throughout the first seven days of free agency.

Ditto for Wes Welker. One of the top slot receivers of the past generation has generated no buzz since hitting the market, two years after he famously left the Patriots for the Broncos.

The lack of interest flows in part from the trend toward young receivers making an immediate impact. With cheaper options available, veteran receivers eventually may have to settle for a one-year minimum deal. At that rate, it simply may not be worth it to keep playing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not complicated:

Cobb, Maclin, Smith = good

Crabtree, Wayne, Nicks, Welker = bad
Out of that group, I'm taking Crabtree all day. The other three have proven they are done IMO. Crabtree lost a step he couldn't afford to lose after his achilles injury. If I'm a NFL team, I'm bringing him in and making him run a 40 for me. If he's under 4.65 I'd offer him a prove it 1 year 3 or 4 million deal.

Make no mistake, Crabtree had a terrible year last year. But speed was never really his best asset. If he works at it, I think he could be a Boldin type of player in the second half of his career. Key being that he works at it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sticking to my guns... He's gonna find a team that can use him effectively, and will be a PPR goldmine. Dont know about big yards and TDs, though he's def capable for the yards...

We'll see

Users who are viewing this thread