What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Rashee Rice, KC (1 Viewer)

If I were running a team, prior to the draft I would hire investigators to find out more about the personal lives of players before drafting them.
~300 prospects is a lot of PIs with a relatively short amount of time to investigate for a few weeks each to gather the info accurately.
No need to investigate that many, just some of the higher picks with question marks. The later round picks don't carry as much risk.
It's not widely talked about, but it is most definitely the norm for NFL teams. They all have Director's of Security or Security Managers. Almost all have themselves, or have employed staff, with legal backgrounds from police officers to retired 3 letter government agents who all not only pay to have access to the same data bases PI's use; but often still have connections that allow them deeper access only normally granted to active officers. Aside from these tools used to perform background checks, they most definitely have individual PIs and sub contractors also often retired law enforcement who tail these kids for the weeks leading up to the draft (if not longer). Quite a few articles out there over the years talking about even elementary school teachers and coaches receiving calls from scouts and other team employees asking for clarifications on certain documented incidents in player histories.

Here's an article from back in 2017 talking about a lot of this; mostly centered on Joe Mixon. It's only become more prominent since then, especially from the tech side paying glorified internet stalkers to pour through social media accounts and other online footprints. Recently, they NFL has now made prospects sign consent forms for a lot of this digging; however it's been going on since long before that.

If anything, learning how wide and deep the net they cast is, it really speaks to what teams ARE willing to put up with (if not out right overlook) in a players history if they can run fast, jump high, and catch well. Outside of working for one of those aforementioned 3 letter agencies; it's probably the most exhaustive background check/recruiting process in the US.

Drop 100% of the non football talk. If you want to argue society and behavior, do it somewhere else besides the Shark Pool.
It’s kind of all interwoven together. It’s hard to talk about Rice without comparing him to other NFL players who have messed up and been suspended or did time.

Are you saying we can’t do that?

Comparison to other NFL players and suspensions is ok. That's relevant to how long he might be suspended. The barely disguised political forum stuff arguing non football stuff is what we don't want.

I put this in the Dynasty Trades thread but pasting it here to show a single data point on Rice trade value
Fwiw
Grain of salt
And all that :)

FFPC 12 team 1QB TE-P league:

I gave: Rashee Rice + 2025 3rd
I got: Jayden Reed + 2025 5th

I have (had) Rice shares in 2 leagues, and I'm happy to be rid of 1 of those shares. I'm also high on Reed otherwise I would've just held onto Rice.

I put this in the Dynasty Trades thread but pasting it here to show a single data point on Rice trade value
Fwiw
Grain of salt

I have (had) Rice shares in 2 leagues, and I'm happy to be rid of 1 of those shares. I'm also high on Reed otherwise I would've just held onto Rice.
Really like Reed but I'm leery of his target share with C.Watson (if he ever fixes his ham string issue), D.Wicks, R.Dubbs, Musgrave & Kraft at TE and Jacobs and Lloyd at RB.I think I'd have to take Rice and the 3rd here.

Fwiw
Grain of salt

Really like Reed but I'm leery of his target share with C.Watson (if he ever fixes his ham string issue), D.Wicks, R.Dubbs, Musgrave & Kraft at TE and Jacobs and Lloyd at RB.I think I'd have to take Rice and the 3rd here.
Not only do you “think you’d have to take Rice and the 3rd here” but you literally did get Rice and the 3rd in this trade :)

Fwiw
Grain of salt

Not only do you “think you’d have to take Rice and the 3rd here” but you literally did get Rice and the 3rd in this trade :)
Lol, too many leagues, too much late night drunk trade offers. At least I don't regret this one... yet

"Accidents and stuff like that happen, but all you can do is move forward and walk around being the same person, try to be positive so that everybody can feel your love and your great energy."

Oh boy…
Did he “accidentally” walk away from the accident he caused without checking on the safety of others? What a horrible “accident”. I hope he can recover and forgive everyone else involved in the “accident” that he caused by racing a high performance car on the freeway. So unfortunate for Rashee 😥

Last edited:
"Accidents and stuff like that happen, but all you can do is move forward and walk around being the same person, try to be positive so that everybody can feel your love and your great energy."

Oh boy…
Next accident forthcoming. So Mr. Rice, you ran over a kid on a bicycle, a dog, and your next door neighbor pulling into your driveway. What do you have to say for yourself? I went to extinguish a joint and dropped it in my lap. It was an accident. I’ll try to be more careful in the future.

It's really hard to believe how bad Rice's attorney/agent/PR team have been throughout all this....it's already bad enough that Rice apparently doesn't have the self awareness and ability to articulate remorse, accountability, etc. on his own ....but for the people around him not to "coach him up" and to allow this to be what he says basically as his first statements to the public/media is baffling.....this came off sounding really bad and IMO almost makes things look even worse....wasn't sure that was possible...

Oh boy…
:loco:Rashee Rice does not appear to understand the concept of maturity. I suspect he has surrounded himself with "friends" who pat him on the back and assure him "accidents happen" and "everything will be fine". He needs a harsh dose of reality and civility. Even at his age, my dad would have whooped my butt for walking away from an accident, then my mom would have done far worse to me.

this entire ordeal was not an "accident".....an accident that "happens"....is me spilling my wine on the carpet....and even if I learn from it, it's probably going to happen again and be an accident the next time.....Rice's ordeal is the equivalent of me cruising around my house blindfolded on a unicycle balancing three trays of cab sauv....

release this dude all ready and move on....

It's really hard to believe how bad Rice's attorney/agent/PR team have been throughout all this....it's already bad enough that Rice apparently doesn't have the self awareness and ability to articulate remorse, accountability, etc. on his own ....but for the people around him not to "coach him up" and to allow this to be what he says basically as his first statements to the public/media is baffling.....this came off sounding really bad and IMO almost makes things look even worse....wasn't sure that was possible...
I bet the team, the PR staff, agent etc are telling him all these things. One problem though - him. He's not listening and thinks his "crap" doesn't stink.

Only a matter of time until his next "accident".

zero chance of this happening unless he has more incidents
Don’t you mean “accidents”?

Last edited:
Keeping it to on the field stuff. Anyone else think there is a very real chance that Rice might not have that big of a role, even if he's not suspended (he'll be suspended but a delay to 2025 wouldn't blow my mind) at all?

KC wants to be a bigger play team. Rice/Kelce work the same areas, and obviously Kelce does it better. I could see a scenario where Brown and Worthy are the top-2 WRs and Rice is just a big slot.

Personally, I'm not viewing Rice as a top-40 WR.

Keeping it to on the field stuff. Anyone else think there is a very real chance that Rice might not have that big of a role, even if he's not suspended (he'll be suspended but a delay to 2025 wouldn't blow my mind) at all?

KC wants to be a bigger play team. Rice/Kelce work the same areas, and obviously Kelce does it better. I could see a scenario where Brown and Worthy are the top-2 WRs and Rice is just a big slot.

As much as I don't want to toot Rashee's horn, he was great last year. You could make a case that he was just as good, if not better, than Kelce last year. As a rookie, he topped 100 targets (2nd only to Kelce), while catching 77.5% of passes coming his way (2nd only to Pacheco). And he did that while being 3rd on the team in yards per catch, behind only Watson & MVS. He led the team in receiving TD's. Now I'm curious. I'm a big numbers guy, and I wonder what the rookie record is for catch percentage for WR's with at least 100 targets?

After going back 20 years, the answer is...Rashee Rice. As a matter of fact, only 2 WR's in history have a higher catch rate with 100+ targets, but both had a lower yards per reception - 2021 Hunter Renfrow and 2018/2019 Michael Thomas. Fun fact - for a speedy as Marquise is, Rashee's YPC is higher.

All this to say, Rice is surely a top-40 WR if he's on the field. Under no circumstance will Rice finish behind both Brown and Worthy in PPG. Again, I expect a decent suspension.

As much as I don't want to toot Rashee's horn, he was great last year. You could make a case that he was just as good, if not better, than Kelce last year. As a rookie, he topped 100 targets (2nd only to Kelce), while catching 77.5% of passes coming his way (2nd only to Pacheco). And he did that while being 3rd on the team in yards per catch, behind only Watson & MVS. He led the team in receiving TD's. Now I'm curious. I'm a big numbers guy, and I wonder what the rookie record is for catch percentage for WR's with at least 100 targets?

After going back 20 years, the answer is...Rashee Rice. As a matter of fact, only 2 WR's in history have a higher catch rate with 100+ targets, but both had a lower yards per reception - 2021 Hunter Renfrow and 2018/2019 Michael Thomas. Fun fact - for a speedy as Marquise is, Rashee's YPC is higher.

All this to say, Rice is surely a top-40 WR if he's on the field. Under no circumstance will Rice finish behind both Brown and Worthy in PPG. Again, I expect a decent suspension.
Rice performed very well last year and was a bright spot on this offense as the year went on. The question isn't about his talent but keeping his nose clean.

zero chance of this happening unless he has more incidents
Don’t you mean “accidents”?

There were hints and allegations

I'm not trying to knock Rice (for his performance on the field last year). I think it was great for a rookie. And I would 100% agree with him being a top 40WR. And with all this off the field stuff and a looming suspension, his value has dropped a bit lower and gained some favorable upside.

But, when his ADP was hovering around WR18-20, with an overall ADP of about 35.... I viewed him with as much caution as trav. I think anyone can make the case either way on that value for him; his raw numbers popped, the fact he did it as a rookie is predictive for his future based on years of trending, and he's linked with the best QB in the game. I also think it holds weight that his YBC/R (yards before catch per reception) was 3.6 (ranking #108 in the league), ADoT was 4.8 ( #157), drop percentage was 7.8% (#124). Per Reception Perception, his success rate against man coverage is below average, he runs most of his routes from the slot, and over 50% of his routes were slants and digs. Add in that their entire WR room aside from Rice was injured or pathetic.

Looking at all that doesn't have me completely writing him off. And at his current redraft ADP I'd gladly take a bite of the apple. But his dynasty ranking is still quite high (WR23, overall 44 on FP). I was routinely passing over him when was sitting around WR18, especially in leagues that here .5PPR instead of full point. I think he'll play and play well and is in a great situation. But I also think his numbers were inflated by a few factors last season that might not be in play, or straight up won't. I also question if he's already close to his ceiling, and think he would need to start getting more run outside and downfield, cut that drop % in half, and show drastic improvement in his ability to play against man and press coverage to return a value close to that previous mid-WR2 ADP. Low end WR2 I think is slightly more tempting, but still with a lot of caution. A million projections needed to parse out where he'll be in 2025, but after the Chiefs drafted Xavier Worthy, and added Marquise Brown, and with Kelce extended through 2025... and now all these off field issues.... I think there are enough red flags to warrant reticence in investing too much in him for both redraft and dynasty leagues. Especially when at the same price you can get win now vets like D. Adams, Deebo, Diggs. And other rookies with (IMO) less flags, like Tank Dell, J. Addison, and Pickens.

Last edited:

Oh boy…
:loco:Rashee Rice does not appear to understand the concept of maturity. I suspect he has surrounded himself with "friends" who pat him on the back and assure him "accidents happen" and "everything will be fine". He needs a harsh dose of reality and civility. Even at his age, my dad would have whooped my butt for walking away from an accident, then my mom would have done far worse to me.
Yes, accidents happen. Sometimes guns go off, other times cars get smashed and people get hurt.
The best thing to do is walk away.
What a turd.

Users who are viewing this thread