What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Rashee Rice, KC (2 Viewers)

Chiefs signed No. 55 overall pick Rashee Rice to a four-year contract.​

Rice looks to enter training camp behind the trio of Kadarius Toney, Skyy Moore, and Marquez Valdes-Scantling, with Justin Watson and Richie James also threats for real playing time. It often takes time to learn the intricacies of an Andy Reid offense and rookie wideouts -- like Moore last year -- have not exactly thrived. But the offense alone makes ancillary receivers rosterable and it wouldn't be a surprise if at some point this year Rice was relevant in shallow leagues. He's a good dynasty buy, regardless of how Year One goes.
Jun 15, 2023, 1:16 PM ET

So, apparently Rice went into the OTA's about 12 pounds overweight from his weight at the combine. Andy Reid commented at the time that he would need to work on his running before training camp.

Sounds like he came into camp at his normal playing weight around 200 pounds when he reported yesterday, but puked during the first workouts this morning.

May be something...may be nothing. But Andy Reid notoriously has a tough training camp and hates it when guys aren't in shape ready to go. Something to keep an eye on.

I don't think he is very good. He's being drafted too high simply because the Chiefs drafted him. How's Skyy Moore working out so far? And I actually think Moore is better than Rice.
What I noticed right away is he wasn’t being drafted like a 2nd round WR going to the Chiefs SHOULD be drafted. Meaning, the FF community isn’t particularly high on him, in general (at least at the time we had our rookie draft).

Maybe his ADP has risen since right after the NFL draft, but I’m not a big fan of Rice, long-term.

NFL Rookie Watch @NFLRookieWatxh
This CATCH by Rashee Rice
Travis Kelce has reportedly been “impressed” with Rice’s ability so far.Kelce said that Rice had a “bunch” of great plays at today’s practice.Rice also ended up placing first in the Chiefs conditioning test yesterday.The Chiefs rookie WR is going to be a PROBLEM.

NFL Beat Writers @32BeatWriters
Rashee Rice keeps making plays

The Athletic’s Nate Taylor says Chiefs rookie WR Rashee Rice has led all receivers in first-team reps at training camp.

It goes without saying that we’re in the very early days of training camp, but this is exciting news for Rice, who was selected by the Chiefs with the No. 55 overall pick in this year’s draft. The former SMU Mustang has the draft capital to earn early playing time if he produces in camp. Fantasy managers were burnt a year ago by Skyy Moore, but Rice could renew their faith with a productive rookie campaign. Rice is virtually free to acquire in fantasy drafts right now, but could see his ADP skyrocket with more reports like this throughout camp.

Nick Jacobs @Jacobs71
This is year 13 of watching in person at St Joe. I’ve been able to watch over 1,170 players compete for jobs. You learn it’s about stacking days together. Who can consistently perform/elevate their game, how they do in pads and what type of resiliency after a down day. #Chiefs
One of the first players who is stacking days is Rashee Rice. He pushed himself to the max on his first practice. It became a story. Then he has consistent shown a relentless intensity and determination in practice. Pads and preseason are his next checkpoints. #Chiefs

There is some buzz percolating about Rice at camp making plays over and around the Chiefs starting corners.
We're moving to DEFCON 3 on this one
I was so excited about Skyy Moore last year and in redraft he was pretty quiet most of the season

I didn’t like either of Hardman or Moore at all and have had zero shares of both. Big fan of Rice and how he fits their offense, took him a bunch in both rookie drafts and startups. I have pretty lofty expectations. He’s actually a WR, unlike the other two. Seems the plan is the JuJu role but I think by the end of the season we’re talking about a significantly better version of that and earning a bigger role.

Big fan of Rice and how he fits their offense, took him a bunch in both rookie drafts and startups. I have pretty lofty expectations. He’s actually a WR, unlike the other two. Seems the plan is the JuJu role but I think by the end of the season we’re talking about a significantly better version of that and earning a bigger role.
I drafted him in the 14th rd yesterday, a 2-player keeper league. Very pleased with I did at the other positions, although my depth at QB & TE is just fill at this point. My WR room feels like a disaster (McLaurin, G. Davis, Bateman, Thielen, Doubs & Rice). I know there's support in here for every one of those WRs, but the group, no way. :)

Obviously, Rice couldn't have had a better landing. The knocks on him is the level of competition, route running & a nonchalant effort on some plays. Not saying this is the case but after watching him, some of those appeared to be him finding voids vs zone when the ball is arriving. Other times he's trotting downfield looking back, as if he isn't the primary & ends up getting thrown the ball any way. He reminds me of Pierre Garcon.

Sourced material cites his after the catch ability but I didn't see where the SMU scheme exploited that attribute. Excellent tracking & ball skills. Both are traits that NFL evaluators covet. The Chiefs never missed a beat parting with Tyreek Hill & his YAC avg wasn't indicative of how dangerous he is with the ball in his hands. They're really big on that & what I think they're looking to get from Rice. He probably ends up being a drop for me, but I like him too.

2023 NFL Preseason Week 1 rookie grades: Anthony Richardson has ups and downs in debut

Excerpt:

Grade: B-
With Kadarius Toney again dealing with injuries, Rashee Rice got his chance to shine in the slot during the Chiefs' 26-24 loss at New Orleans on Sunday. He provided a quick target on short routes but really impressed with his ability to get vertical, even though he didn't see any deep passes. His biggest play was a receiver screen, where he showed his explosive first step and barreled through contact for extra yards. Rice dropped a jerk route, trying to run before securing the catch while fighting off a linebacker, but later battled for a catch in traffic during the first-half two-minute drill. He mixed it up as a run blocker but was tossed aside by stronger hands on a couple of occasions. Rice was part of a double-team against a gunner on a punt return but allowed his man to pin the ball down near the end zone.

His SMU game logs show an ability to be a deep threat. Same with Justyn Ross in his freshman year, but not in 2021 (last healthy season).
I think we want whoever is the deep threat (and could be spread around of course).

Rashee Rice caught 8-of-9 targets for 96 yards in the Chiefs’ preseason matchup against the Cardinals.

Rice saw limited time with the first-team offense but did most of his damage with the second team. He and quarterback Shane Buechele connected on multiple passes in the first half, with the longest reception coming on a 38-yard play that included several yards after the catch. Rice has had a solid training camp but could face an uphill battle for snaps early in the season. The rookie second-rounder also caught three passes for 30 yards in last week’s matchup against the Saints and has a solid 11-126-0 line through two games.

Chiefs GM Brett Veach said Rashee Rice and Justyn Ross will start as ‘package players,’ but hopes to see them become ‘every-down WRs later in the season.’
Ross is arguably the feel-good training camp story of the year. The former UDFA has stuck around on the Chiefs for the last two seasons, battled through injuries dating back to college, and officially made the 53-man roster out of training camp. Rice, a rookie second-rounder, also has a chance to develop into a key player later in the season, but the Chiefs have veterans Marquez Valdes-Scantling and Kadarius Toney to rely on early on, and Skyy Moore will handle slot duties. The Chiefs have a young and exciting wide receiver corps, and with none coming at too high a cost, they’re worth taking shots on in your fantasy drafts this weekend.

Freshman year - 46/1000/9 21.7 ypc
Sophomore year - 66/865/8 13.1 ypc

Not bad as an 18/19 year old in the ACC

The question isn't just can he stay healthy, it's is he still the same player/athlete he was at 18/19 or did the injures take something from him?

The question isn't just can he stay healthy, it's is he still the same player/athlete he was at 18/19 or did the injures take something from him?
He's looked fantastic the entire summer so I would have to say yes.

He's had a dozen or so highlight reel catches. The kid is the real deal.

The fantasy graveyard is full of players with highlight reel catches in training camp.

The fantasy graveyard is full of players with highlight reel catches in training camp.
100% agree

But. this is somewhat a unique situation. Ross wouldn't have been an undrafted prospect sans the injury. He was a late 1st/early 2nd round WR before the injury.

Dismiss him all you want, that's on you. Don't be surprised if J.Ross hits.

This message is brought to you by the guy that told you Cooper Kupp was the next big thing back in 2015.

ESPN’s Adam Teicher believes the roles for Rashee Rice and Justyn Ross “might be limited early in the season or at least until the coaches are comfortable with giving them a bigger workload.”
Teicher says Marquez Valdes-Scantling, Skyy Moore, and Justin Watson will lead the team in wideout snaps early in the season. Ross, Rice, and Kadarius Toney will be used in special offensive packages, per Teicher. Richie James, meanwhile, will play some slot snaps and serve as the team’s kick returner. With seven receivers on the roster, it would not be a surprise if two wideouts are inactive for Week 1 against the Lions. Fantasy managers should keep a close eye on Thursday night inactives for the Chiefs.
Related
  • Justyn Ross

I saw that. Have him on my leagues trade block I may have to take him off of it (or leave him on it to see if any ridiculous offers come thru)

Rashee Rice caught 3-of-5 targets for 29 yards and a touchdown in the Chiefs’ Week 1 loss to the Lions.

Rice was the closest thing Kansas City’s seven-man receiver rotation had to a bright spot in Travis Kelce’s absence. He tied for the team lead in targets, though he was soundly out-snapped by Skyy Moore and Marquez Valdes-Scantling. Rice’s score was a one-yarder where he worked to get open for a clean-pocketed Patrick Mahomes. Easy mode, but then again, Moore and Kadarius Toney kept making miscues rather than highlights on their wide-open looks. It is possible, if not probable, coach Andy Reid decides Rice deserves more run for Week 2 against the Jaguars.

He looked like a rookie. He looked like he was playing his first NFL game. Definitely has the tools to a solid NFL wr. Promising start. Like someone mentioned the lack of anyone stepping up was bigger then anything else really. My gut says he doesn't get enough action to be fantasy relevant this year other then in deep leagues. A ceiling of 800 yards and 5 tds seem super hopeful but would be a big victory for chiefs.

He looked like a rookie. He looked like he was playing his first NFL game. Definitely has the tools to a solid NFL wr. Promising start. Like someone mentioned the lack of anyone stepping up was bigger then anything else really. My gut says he doesn't get enough action to be fantasy relevant this year other then in deep leagues. A ceiling of 800 yards and 5 tds seem super hopeful but would be a big victory for chiefs.
He looked like a rookie but that's a lot better than how Toney and Skyy looked. The KC WR room is a mess right now. I think Rice and Justin Watson might be the two best WR's on the team.

KC WR room is a mess right now

Justin Watson seems like the spec add to me. That guy just needs some opportunity and it may come very soon. Not a world beater, but serviceable, and right now that's what Mahomes needs. He wins that game last night with serviceable. Who knew management could actually do worse for him than JuJu and Mecole?

Quiet week 2. 2 catches - 20 yds. Should i keep this guy another week? Looking to dump either him or Elijah Moore for a waiver WR - non-ppr league

Is anyone stashing this kid in hopes that he starts to get more of a snap share? Or is Kelce gonna be the only pass catcher to trust this year?
I desperately want to keep him on the roster but would have to drop one of T. Spears, K. Herbert, E. Moore, or R. Doubs in a PPR league.

NFL Rookies: Top 15 highest-graded players after Week 3

Excerpt:

13. WR RASHEE RICE, KANSAS CITY CHIEFS: 81.0

One of the few remaining players on this list to qualify as a top-15 graded rookie each week since the season began, Rice has looked to be a poised and consistent producer coming off the bench for this Chiefs offense. This past week, he saw an extended workload late in the blowout over the Bears, where he saw a season-high in receptions, yards, and first downs. In addition, Rice leads the Chiefs in receptions for first-downs (7), above even Travis Kelce.

Users who are viewing this thread