What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Rondale Moore, ARZ (1 Viewer)

Who would win a tug of war contest between Rodale Moore and Tu Tu Atwell?

Joking aside, Moore is one of those risky selections in fantasy that can make you look like a genius, or an idiot if you took him late 1st / early 2nd.

Last edited by a moderator:
Who would win a tug of war contest between Rodale Moore and Tu Tu Atwell?

Joking aside, Moore is one of those risky selections in fantasy that can make you look like a genius, or an idiot if you took him late 1st / early 2nd.
Rondale and it’s not even close. Rondale was squatting 600 pounds as a 170 pound pound Freshman. He also put up 24 reps of 225 on the bench this spring. He is mini Saquon. 

Why do you say that "I love 80's"?
Aside from the irony in your statement and board handle, I had a hunch as to why. I was wracking my brain to remember that very good WR named Moore from the 90's. I tried "WR Moore Jets" and "WR Moore Cardinals". Yeah, that didn't go so well. I eventually remembered Rob Moore, and found him to be #85 with the Cards. I assume that is your issue... I kind of like it. I really LIKE Rondale, too. I think he's going to be a very good player as a floor. It may take a bit, though considering the WR room in Arizona.

Aside from the irony in your statement and board handle, I had a hunch as to why. I was wracking my brain to remember that very good WR named Moore from the 90's. I tried "WR Moore Jets" and "WR Moore Cardinals". Yeah, that didn't go so well. I eventually remembered Rob Moore, and found him to be #85 with the Cards. I assume that is your issue... I kind of like it. I really LIKE Rondale, too. I think he's going to be a very good player as a floor. It may take a bit, though considering the WR room in Arizona.
Thinking too much. It’s just not aesthetically pleasing IMO. 

Cardinals signed second-round WR Rondale Moore to a four-year contract.

Moore (5'7/181) set the nation ablaze as an 18-year-old freshmen at Purdue, hauling in 114 catches for 1,258 yards and 12 scores with 37 broken tackles to boot. Injuries limited him to only seven games the past two years, but he still left the Boilermakers with a career 8.9 catches per game and mild experience as a punt (6.9 average) and kick returner (18.5). While most NFL corners will tower over him, Moore, who recorded the highest SPARQ rating in the country during his recruitment process, will be stronger and more athletic than all — hence how 71% of his collegiate receiving yardage occurred after the catch. His career outlook still boils down to whether or not he's used correctly, as 78% of his receptions came within 10 yards of the line scrimmage. He'll likely open his rookie year as the Cardinals' No. 4 receiver behind DeAndre Hopkins, A.J. Green, and Christian Kirk, though Moore could push underwhelming Kirk for snaps and targets.

Jun 9, 2021, 3:33 PM ET

Cardinals coach Kliff Kingsbury plans to manufacture touches for second-round WR Rondale Moore

"He's very good in the open field, making the first guy miss," Kingsbury said of the No. 49 overall pick. "He has a knack at some of those plays, so, yeah, he's going to be a guy that's going to be fun to try to draw stuff up for, and see how many times we can get it to him." Kingsbury specifically mentioned jet sweeps. Manufactured touches are probably the best rookie bet for a 5-foot-7 wideout who was limited by injury to 73 touches over his final two years at Purdue. 71 percent of Moore's college yards came after the catch, with 78 percent of his receptions occurring within 10 yards of the line scrimmage. 

SOURCE: azcardinals.com 

Jun 10, 2021, 7:14 PM ET

I think he should be used almost like a Darren Sproles. That’s the player he physically reminds me of- Sproles with rocket boosters. Ideally you want to get Moore like 80 catches and 60 carries. 

So basically what I get is Andy Isabella didn't work the first time, so why not draft him again?

The cards need a new coach yesterday.

A team rich in WR takes a Wr in the 2nd round.....that they will have to MANUFACTURE touches for? Doesn't make sense

Not sure I agree on the manufactured touch part. I think lots of offenses draw up plays to to get their players the ball. That’s just smart football to me.

As for being rich in WRs. Nuk and who else? Kirk has proven to be very pedestrian and is in the last year of his contract. Andy Isabella has been a dud. Not sure what they think they are getting out of AJ Green but I am very skeptical he has anything left. He’s been bad for a couple years now. 

Not sure I agree on the manufactured touch part. I think lots of offenses draw up plays to to get their players the ball. That’s just smart football to me.

As for being rich in WRs. Nuk and who else? Kirk has proven to be very pedestrian and is in the last year of his contract. Andy Isabella has been a dud. Not sure what they think they are getting out of AJ Green but I am very skeptical he has anything left. He’s been bad for a couple years now. 
Totally agree. Very lackluster group after Hopkins. I think Moore has a good chance to be involved early and often.

Totally agree. Very lackluster group after Hopkins. I think Moore has a good chance to be involved early and often.
I would also add their RB group stinks. That offense is desperate for playmakers and Moore can do it through the air and on the ground. This guy gets the ball in the open field  and he’s putting defenders on skates plus he’s got the long speed to outrun almost anyone in the league. 

So basically what I get is Andy Isabella didn't work the first time, so why not draft him again?

The cards need a new coach yesterday.
That is a reasonable conclusion to make that the coach wants a player like Wes Welker or Percy Harvin on the team. Reading his comments about Isabella he was hoping that Isabella would be that.

I watched Isabella and that is not what he does well. Isabella has a lot of speed but he isn't quick twitch with his breaks. I have found what I think is a good comparison for Isabella and it is Jarius Wright. Very good speed to make explosive plays but smallish and struggles to make contested catches downfield (reducing the impact of the speed) and not that good on the drag routes and other lateral plays.

I watched Rondale Moore and he has those things the coach is looking for in spades. 

Blind Squirrel and all that but who cares? They got the right guy for that job now.

Yeah me, too. I'd have to dig to find it but I saw a blurb about Moore getting work from the slot in practice, which should come as no kind of surprise. But the main point it made was how big the slot role was for Fitzgerald in this offense and that Moore could really take on a lot of that role. With explosive-play upside.

I'm mystified that they signed AJ Green, though. He just didn't have anything left at all last year. But *if* he can rebound it could be a pretty big block for even a modest rookie year breakout for Moore. I'm betting against AJ Green doing anything and that Moore should have plenty of opportunity even as a rookie. 

Perhaps Kirk is the bigger X factor. I want to say that trading for Hopkins showed how AZ feels about Kirk. But I think that trade might have had more to do with the Texans being monumentally inept than with any sort of indictment or lack of faith in Kirk. But he hasn't exactly blown anything up out there either, so *if* Moore is good he should get a lot of run.

I'm mystified that they signed AJ Green, though. He just didn't have anything left at all last year. But *if* he can rebound it could be a pretty big block for even a modest rookie year breakout for Moore. I'm betting against AJ Green doing anything and that Moore should have plenty of opportunity even as a rookie. 
Remember what the coach said about when they drafted Hakeem Butler?

There is also a role for a big downfield WR in the offense that AJ Green has been able to do in his career before so that is where he would fit in.

I think Green is dunso but even so he will likely provide more than Butler did to their offense if he does make the team.

I see these roles as separate from each other in the offense. There is no overlap.

Remember what the coach said about when they drafted Hakeem Butler?

I see these roles as separate from each other in the offense. There is no overlap.
That was a different regime. I agree the roles are different but I think there is room for one major playmaker after Nuk, whether it is from the outside with a Green/Butler type or from the slot (and elsewhere) with Moore. I don't think AJ Green gets on the field unless he is the playmaker he has been in the past. *If* that happens I think it limits Moore in terms of share, regardless of which position it comes from. But again I think Green is done so I am not too worried. I am assuming Kirk plays that role.

That was a different regime. I agree the roles are different but I think there is room for one major playmaker after Nuk, whether it is from the outside with a Green/Butler type or from the slot (and elsewhere) with Moore. I don't think AJ Green gets on the field unless he is the playmaker he has been in the past. *If* that happens I think it limits Moore in terms of share, regardless of which position it comes from. But again I think Green is done so I am not too worried. I am assuming Kirk plays that role.
Yeah I am not giving up on Kirk having a significant role for them in 2021.

My expectations of Kirks ceiling have gone down a bit from what they once were.

eta - Isabella and Butler were drafted by the Cardinals in 2019. That seems like a long time ago but really it wasn't and Kliff Klingsbury was the head coach of the Cardinals in 2019.

Maybe they have changed front office or scouting department but the same coach talking about the players here and how they fit his offense.

I checked if they changed GM or not but no its still Steve Keim

Yeah I am not giving up on Kirk having a significant role for them in 2021.

My expectations of Kirks ceiling have gone down a bit from what they once were.

eta - Isabella and Butler were drafted by the Cardinals in 2019. That seems like a long time ago but really it wasn't and Kliff Klingsbury was the head coach of the Cardinals in 2019.

Maybe they have changed front office or scouting department but the same coach talking about the players here and how they fit his offense.

I checked if they changed GM or not but no its still Steve Keim
Thought for sure Butler waa 2018 but you're right. 

Thought for sure Butler waa 2018 but you're right. 
I think the perception seems longer as there was so much discussion about him perhaps.

I had to check. Initially thought you were right and I got my wires crossed again.

I had a similar issue with Myles Gaskin who I have mixed up with some other RB. I thought he had been in the league for 6 years already at one point. Its kind of weird how that happens.

Yes it is ok to try to get a type of player, miss and try again. 
It is but they clearly hadn't done their homework on Isabella, who was a deep threat and not so much an underneath guy. I liked Isabella's story, too, but they tried to force a round peg into a square hole there, so their pick of him is certainly up for criticism.

I have no opinion on Rondale Moore other than he is an outlier of outliers at the receiving position and his usage at Purdue seems to acknowledge that fact with an aDOT that's ridiculously low. That's not to say he can't be Darren Sproles, but expecting him to be a down-the-field type receiver that runs all the routes seems a bit much. Who knows, though?

It is but they clearly hadn't done their homework on Isabella, who was a deep threat and not so much an underneath guy. I liked Isabella's story, too, but they tried to force a round peg into a square hole there, so their pick of him is certainly up for criticism.
Here in Phoenix we have a hard time coming to grips with the fact that the Cardinals picked Isabella with Metcalf still available 😩

And us Washington fans have an equally hard time with drafting Doctson over Michael Thomas  :wall:
Sorry to hijack, but that 2016 Draft was a WR ####show. Lots of Teams passed on Tyreek Hill (5.28)...and imagine being a Browns fan who plays FF:

1.15 Corey Coleman, 4.16 Ricardo Lewis, 5.15 Jordan Payton, 5.35 Rashard Higgins

I know, I know, Draft Capital at all, but for the sheer investment at the position! The only guy worth a darn (and I think Higgins is underrated and wish he was playing elsewhere)...Cleveland also invested Day 3 flyers on a QB, 2RB and a TE. All pffft.

Here in Phoenix we have a hard time coming to grips with the fact that the Cardinals picked Isabella with Metcalf still available 😩
To be fair a bunch of teams made the mistake of passing on Metcalf. Even at the time I have no idea why, he and AJ Brown seemed like easily the best WR in that class to me.

Isabella might not be good, but man I have no idea why they seemed to want him to be Julian Edelman, when his skill set is much more Brandin Cooks. I'm chalking that up as 50% the player, and 50% poor coaching. 

Which brings me to Moore, whom I also worry will have to deal with Kingsbury's misuse. I do think he was as solid pick where they got him, I don't see Tavon Austin at all. Moore is so much more physical and was effective when they used him as a downfield WR(which wasn't often) so its possible he'll be a much better pro than college player. That said, if Kingsbury decides he's just a gadget guy, than he'll likely be a disappointment for his draft position. Personally, I think they might regret passing on Terrace Marshall.

Isabella might not be good, but man I have no idea why they seemed to want him to be Julian Edelman, when his skill set is much more Brandin Cooks. I'm chalking that up as 50% the player, and 50% poor coaching.
Yeah, whole lotta this. I remember reading reports that Kingsbury wanted to use him like Edelman. One reporter was like, "he's nothing like Edelman." Guy was on top of it from the beginning. Forget who it was, but he was prescient about it.

rockaction said:
Yeah, whole lotta this. I remember reading reports that Kingsbury wanted to use him like Edelman. One reporter was like, "he's nothing like Edelman." Guy was on top of it from the beginning. Forget who it was, but he was prescient about it.
I am not a reporter but I could see that just from watching cut ups of him.

No idea what the Cardinals scouting department was seeing.

On one hand I think this team has developed a rep for lacking good plans for their player acquisitions and he's the type that requires a plan. But on the other hand I agree that from their perspective he's a mulligan for the misuse of Isabella and that he's a better fit for that role in the (rather simple) Kingsbury offense. I thought I would have a clearer opinion on him based on his destination, but this is one of the few situations in which I don't.

Despite that I think slotting him in rookie drafts is very straight forward - once you've exhausted your list of likely future starters he's at the top of the list. For me that's above Carter and Toney, but below all of the other usual suspects. I have no clue where to slot him in the big picture though. It's probably earlier than I'm comfortable though.

Users who are viewing this thread