What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

They're both drowning, you can save only one... (2 Viewers)

If they were both drowning & you could save only one would you save your dog or a stranger (huma

• I'd save my dog

Votes: 68 46.3%
  • I'd save the stranger

Votes: 79 53.7%

• Total voters
I have owned dogs my whole life and no question would save the stranger first
Maybe you should stop treating them as property, and more like family...
You do know that you are so attached to your dog because he/she worships the ground that you walk on, right?

He/she sees you as the head of his/her pack and therefore knows just how dependent he/she is on you for all that is good in his/her world. He/she doesn't understand why it is that you demand that he/she sit. Or stay. Or heel, leave it, come. All he/she knows is that if he/she is compliant, all will be well in his/her world. And it feels great when your dog looks at you with those big "loving" and dependent eyes, amiright?

But, try all that with your family. :rolleyes:

Disclaimer: I am "only" 8 months into my first experience as a dog owner. (owner) He- Duncan- is an Alabama rescue Lab mix we picked up as a 2 month old puppy last February. (We also picked up an amazing kitten the same day. :bag: I am TOTALLY smitten. By both.) I raced home to a urine soaked puppy when we were trying to cover his day early on, held him in my arms and bathed him in the sink- apologizing the whole time. I have pulled string out of and wiped his ###. I have picked up boatloads of his ####. I have walked him in the rain and in the snow. I can't wait to see him when I get up and when I get home from work. To play with him outside or in the kitchen when it often seems to be his idea. I try very hard to be a good dog owner and my heart melts when he looks into my eyes.

For the first time I truly get this thread.

And I would still save the stranger.
Give it 15-20 years. When you've watched a dog actually go, and held him/her in your arms for 20 years, from the apologies while soaked in urine until the apologies for a last goodbye. You understand what it's like when people die, but you don't know about the other side of this poll yet.

I have no doubt, given your statements about your relationship with your dog, that you love the dog. After 15-20 years, many would do about anything for one more day, or week, or month.

You do know that you are so attached to your dog because he/she worships the ground that you walk on, right?

He/she sees you as the head of his/her pack and therefore knows just how dependent he/she is on you for all that is good in his/her world. He/she doesn't understand why it is that you demand that he/she sit. Or stay. Or heel, leave it, come. All he/she knows is that if he/she is compliant, all will be well in his/her world. And it feels great when your dog looks at you with those big "loving" and dependent eyes, amiright?

Disclaimer: I am "only" 8 months into my first experience as a dog owner. (owner) He- Duncan- is an Alabama rescue Lab mix we picked up as a 2 month old puppy last February. (We also picked up an amazing kitten the same day. :bag: I am TOTALLY smitten. By both.) I raced home to a urine soaked puppy when we were trying to cover his day early on, held him in my arms and bathed him in the sink- apologizing the whole time. I have pulled string out of and wiped his ###. I have picked up boatloads of his ####. I have walked him in the rain and in the snow. I can't wait to see him when I get up and when I get home from work. To play with him outside or in the kitchen when it often seems to be his idea. I try very hard to be a good dog owner and my heart melts when he looks into my eyes.

Give it 15-20 years. When you've watched a dog actually go, and held him/her in your arms for 20 years, from the apologies while soaked in urine until the apologies for a last goodbye. You understand what it's like when people die, but you don't know about the other side of this poll yet.

I have no doubt, given your statements about your relationship with your dog, that you love the dog. After 15-20 years, many would do about anything for one more day, or week, or month.
Loving your pet is not an excuse for sacrificing a human life.

I thought of this question after getting off of the subway this morning, in that moment my feeling is dog. When someone is parking their car and they hit my car with no regard I think dog. When I step on dog#### or gum on the sidewalk I feel like dog. When I'm in the left lane and there are a bunch of idiots barely traveling over the speed limit, I think dog. When I'm waiting for a spot and someone is sitting in their car and won't move for like 8 minutes I think dog. When I see someone who doesn't offer their seat to a pregnant woman or someone holding a little child, I think dog (this happens on a daily basis)...

Basically anytime I am inconvenienced by an inconsiderate ####### or pure stupidity my feeling is dog.

Reluctantly I choose human, knowing it'll prob be the wrong choice.

How am I sacrificing a human life? Did I throw them in the water? Did I keep them from learning to swim?

If the stranger jumped into save the drowning dog, then maybe. But lets face it, the stranger would want me to save the dog in this scenario, so its still dog.

How am I sacrificing a human life? Did I throw them in the water? Did I keep them from learning to swim?

If the stranger jumped into save the drowning dog, then maybe. But lets face it, the stranger would want me to save the dog in this scenario, so its still dog.
:lmao: Let's face it. As would his mother, father, sisters, brothers, aunts, uncles, cousins, wife, kids, grandchildren.

:lmao: Let's face it. As would his mother, father, sisters, brothers, aunts, uncles, cousins, wife, kids, grandchildren.
Why are you discounting the dog's family? :confused:

While I personally have never owned a dog to call my own before, I have had the "pleasure" of being with two as they breathed their last. My ex couldn't bring herself to do it, nor could my wife. I was attached to both dogs, but I'll admit that it wasn't the same connection.

Hopefully I'll be able to let him go when the time is right. And hopefully I'll be in my mid seventies ( now 58) when that happens.

Someone said they are disheartened by the fact 46% pick dog. I am disheartened by the fact 54% picked stranger and alas whomever wanted to know about the child then I think most that chose dog would choose child.

I still choose dog. Human overpopulation continues to be a major issue, and in fact may lead to major global catastrophe within the next 50-100 years. Plus most people are stupid.

The dogs "family" are likely strangers to the dog.

#'s make sense. there's a lot of people that don't even like dogs or at most view them as just a possession or something they own b/c their kids wanted one so naturally they'd choose stranger.

I still choose dog. Human overpopulation continues to be a major issue, and in fact may lead to major global catastrophe within the next 50-100 years. Plus most people are stupid.
Hence this poll, amiright!? :uphigh:

How am I sacrificing a human life? Did I throw them in the water? Did I keep them from learning to swim?If the stranger jumped into save the drowning dog, then maybe. But lets face it, the stranger would want me to save the dog in this scenario, so its still dog.
Further proof that dogs are smarter than people.

How am I sacrificing a human life? Did I throw them in the water? Did I keep them from learning to swim?If the stranger jumped into save the drowning dog, then maybe. But lets face it, the stranger would want me to save the dog in this scenario, so its still dog.
Further proof that dogs are smarter than people.
Sorry your (human) family is teh suck. I love mine. Warts and all.

Wow. So you're just going to lump an entire species together with stereotypical broad strokes? Nice. :thumbdown:

Wow. So you're just going to lump an entire species together with stereotypical broad strokes? Nice. :thumbdown:
Woof!

While I personally have never owned a dog to call my own before, I have had the "pleasure" of being with two as they breathed their last. My ex couldn't bring herself to do it, nor could my wife. I was attached to both dogs, but I'll admit that it wasn't the same connection.

Hopefully I'll be able to let him go when the time is right. And hopefully I'll be in my mid seventies ( now 58) when that happens.
I cry like a schoolgirl every time I have to put a pet down. It is heartbreaking even when you know it's the right thing to do. I tear up sometimes thinking of the ones that are gone. And I am not ashamed of any of that.

Today I had one of the worst days I have had in a long time. I spilled stuff, broke stuff and a lady sideswiped me to tie it all together. Then I came home and my cats rushed to see me, putting a smile on my face. Suddenly the day wasn't as bad as all that after all. I have never and will never have children. These little furry critters are the closest I'll get and I love them dearly. So go on and on about whatever I am saving the being I love.

And I see we are back to starting to find loopholes. Long ago most of us said we would save a child. But I am a lot more ambivalent about adults.

As it was then, as it is now:

Child > Human who you know and isn't an ####### > Your own Dog > Random Adult Human

As it was then, as it is now:

Child > Human who you know and isn't an ####### > Your own Dog > Random Adult Human
Don't agree with the 2nd part I work with plenty of people that aren't #######s, but no way am I saving them before my dog. I'd say I have to really like you or if you're family and aren't an #######.

I told myself i wouldn't get suckered into this, but here we go. So for all the people who are heartbroken how someone would let a human life go instead of their dog, i would love to know what you do to assist general strangers daily? are we only looking at this as life or death, and that is simply it? if the people so worried about the human lives, do you do anything regularly to help other humans? There are plenty of opportunities, tons of poor kids/families, etc. Plenty of kids do not get any experiences because they do not have a strong family, is there not an obligation to volunteer any time to maybe assist any of these strangers. Even indirectly?

Serious questions, and not trying to be holier then thou, just wondering why this is so concerning for some, but when there are tons of volunteers to make a difference in a strangers life, for some reason that obligation goes away.

I may just stay on shore and make book with others as to who the person who inevitably comes along and goes out to perform the rescue would save. With the insight and inside knowledge from this thread I think I could get good odds in many situations.

Last edited by a moderator:
No dog ever threw up an OK sign to show he was all about White Power.  

Although they have definitely thrown up a lot of other stuff.  But then they usually also eat it, so...  I'm still going with dog.

TheIronSheik said:
No dog ever threw up an OK sign to show he was all about White Power.  

Although they have definitely thrown up a lot of other stuff.  But then they usually also eat it, so...  I'm still going with dog.
I had a racist St. Bernard as a kid. He didn’t wear khakis and carry around a tiki torch, but he was extremely aggressive towards black people.

This thread still pisses me off.  Those of you voting dog had better be joking or else your heart is as hard as a rock.

For every person that's wronged you or that you just don't like there are hundreds of other people who are good and deserve to live.  While a dog can be a great companion that can never compare to a father, son, daughter, mother, sister, brother, wife, husband or any other person who is of great value to you.  Imagine someone letting your loved one die because they wanted to save their five year old Saint Bernard who growls at strangers.  When the shoe was on the other foot this poll seems like a bunch of stupidity.

This thread still pisses me off.  Those of you voting dog I better be joking or else your heart is as hard as a rock.

For every person that's wronged you or  that you just don't like there are hundreds of other people who are good and deserve to live.  While a dog can be a great companion that can never compare to a father, son, daughter, mother, sister, brother, wife, husband or any other person who is of great value to you.  Imagine someone letting your loved one die because they wanted to save their five year old Saint Bernard who growls at strangers.  When the shoe was on the other foot this poll seems like a bunch of stupidity.
:lol:

This thread still pisses me off.  Those of you voting dog I better be joking or else your heart is as hard as a rock.

For every person that's wronged you or  that you just don't like there are hundreds of other people who are good and deserve to live.  While a dog can be a great companion that can never compare to a father, son, daughter, mother, sister, brother, wife, husband or any other person who is of great value to you.  Imagine someone letting your loved one die because they wanted to save their five year old Saint Bernard who growls at strangers.  When the shoe was on the other foot this poll seems like a bunch of stupidity.
The ratio of complete donkeys to good people in this world is not 1 to hundreds. Not even close. 

The ratio of complete donkeys to good people in this world is not 1 to hundreds. Not even close. 
OK, cool.  I'll let your most beloved family member die to save my pet turtle then because the odds are better than 1:100 that he/she isn't a "good person" and good old Cecil has never done me wrong.

I wholeheartedly agree.

2019 Dogs = 2004 Dogs

but

2019 People <<< 2004 People
Even given the proliferation of pit bulls?  Maybe we could have a pit bull exception?  I would save the dog unless it was a pit bull.

Wait, if we start qualifying matters and creating exceptions then we go down a slippery slope. Next someone will have the hot chick in yoga pants addendum where she get saved over any dog. 

Users who are viewing this thread