Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

I had drinks on 5 days in Feb - wish the number was lower but this month was a real eye-opener for me on how much better I feel when I'm not drinking every day.  Wife and I celebrated our "sober" Feb yesterday with some home made pasta sauce and lots of wine/drinks.  But now we are striving to go sober until St. Patrick's Day.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

so right after this post i found out i had a heart attack i mean like literally i went to the hospital about 830 am that morning crazy to read this so lets just say that i kept my word and have been a

Sister came over for dinner last night.  Today is 100 days for her.  

Day 50 today. Halfway to my goal. Feeling great.  With the no alcohol and low carb diet I’m down from 183 to 168 this morning. Would like to lose 10 more in next 50 days. Good luck to everyone 

Day 70... at this point I have started to wonder why I did all that drinking throughout the years. My weight loss has plateaued. I guess I need to up the workouts. But I feel really good. I'm still going to try to push to 100 days, but I coach high school basketball and our team is the state quarter finals. If we somehow make it to championship night and win the whole thing ( not likely) I will be drinking Saturday night for sure!!

• Like 4
5 minutes ago, tuffnutt said:

Day 70... at this point I have started to wonder why I did all that drinking throughout the years. My weight loss has plateaued. I guess I need to up the workouts. But I feel really good. I'm still going to try to push to 100 days, but I coach high school basketball and our team is the state quarter finals. If we somehow make it to championship night and win the whole thing ( not likely) I will be drinking Saturday night for sure!!

congrats on the solid season all the same and on your sobriety take that to the bank brohan

• Like 1
  • 9 months later...

I think I'm starting early in 2021. Starting early has been a way too common occurrence.  My Covid drinking (and weight gain) has really gotten out of hand. WFH has made day drinking all too easy.

My goal is to start Monday Jan 4th and stop Presidents Day weekend. Almost 6 weeks.

• Like 1
On 3/2/2020 at 7:40 AM, SWC said:
On 2/28/2020 at 3:04 PM, General Malaise said:
On 2/27/2020 at 3:14 PM, SWC said:

ok brohans i am probably not going to check in here tomorrow but i made it until tomorrow night when i will meet up with my bromigos after fishing and will have a few barleycorns i have some deshoots fresh squeeze ipa that i am going to have and brohans i am going to like it and i will for sure have some more on samstag evening but i will go back to the old sober ways come church day take that to the bank brochachos 

That Fresh Squeeze is a good one, GB.  Have enjoyed many of those over the years.  Great job!

I cracked yesterday at the bar with a buddy I hadn't seen in a while.  25 days without a drop prior, so not even a full month.  Blah.  

I am going to give 'intermittent drinking' a shot this year.  Month on, month off.  Maybe.  We'll see how I feel at the end of March, but I think it might be something worth trying.   

i am doing intermittint drinking too i drank friday and saturday with my fishing guys but now i am going right back on the wagon and for lent i am giving up salt and going to try to cut out carbs to so basically i am going to give this whole live like i care about living thing a try take that to the bank bromigos

so right after this post i found out i had a heart attack i mean like literally i went to the hospital about 830 am that morning crazy to read this so lets just say that i kept my word and have been a church mouse since then and have now lost about 50 lbs or more and have been sober as a judge and i aim to keep at it take that to the bank brohans 

• Like 10
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, JaxBill said:

I think I'm starting early in 2021. Starting early has been a way too common occurrence.  My Covid drinking (and weight gain) has really gotten out of hand. WFH has made day drinking all too easy.

My goal is to start Monday Jan 4th and stop Presidents Day weekend. Almost 6 weeks.

I'm sure a lot of us are in the same boat. I'm going from after my b-day (1/7) to my wife's b-day (2/25).

6 hours ago, SWC said:

so right after this post i found out i had a heart attack i mean like literally i went to the hospital about 830 am that morning crazy to read this so lets just say that i kept my word and have been a church mouse since then and have now lost about 50 lbs or more and have been sober as a judge and i aim to keep at it take that to the bank brohans 

Oh man, that's scary stuff.  I'm glad you're still with us and happy to hear about the positive changes.  I'm in after the Super Bowl and look forward to conversing with you in here brohican and take that to the bank!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good news is I've been working out religiously and scary close to having a 6 (4-12?) pack.  Being constrained makes me all hyper and although I'm a stress eater, have been intermittently fasting instead.

However it's going to be really difficult this year.  I just hope there isn't bitter cold weather so I can wander around town aimlessly and  kill 3-4 weeks.

• 1 month later...
On 12/30/2020 at 8:50 AM, SWC said:

church mice unite bruh

• Thanks 1
On 12/30/2020 at 7:55 AM, JaxBill said:

Good news is I started January 4th. Bad news is I'm getting off this train sometime next week.  

Good luck February folks.

I was thinking about this thread the other day. Yeah, the Covid drinking hasn't been a good thing. Not doing the day-drinking thing, but the will power has been stretched really thin by the time the evening rolls around. Way too easy to head to couch in the evening, watch mindless TV and be mindless.

So, I'm in again this year. I'll be starting after the super bowl. So the 8th to the 8th.

• Like 1

im basically sober all the time now anyhow so i am doing a sober and clean eating february join me and lets get helthy take that to the bank bromigos 

• Like 1

In this year. 

Last year I gave up alcohol for lent. Scrapped that after a couple days at home with everyone. 

I've been enjoying a beer in the last hour of work and a couple drinks most nights for the past 11 months. This month I'm giving that up.

Will still drink during the Super bowl.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Not as many participants this year but my blood work was best ever.  So I got that going for me. Probably because I didn't substitute booze for teh weed and gorge which has happened in years past. Of course I didn't get much done either like I usually do because of the arctic freeze.  That was cool though, hung with Mrs. SLB watched Wandvision and stuff.

Until next year.

• Like 3
26 minutes ago, St. Louis Bob said:

Not as many participants this year but my blood work was best ever.  So I got that going for me. Probably because I didn't substitute booze for teh weed and gorge which has happened in years past. Of course I didn't get much done either like I usually do because of the arctic freeze.  That was cool though, hung with Mrs. SLB watched Wandvision and stuff.

Until next year.

I joined you in spirit. Or not partaking of spirits. Whatever. I drank once since the day after Christmas and won't touch it again until Easter. 

How is your fatty liver?  Better?

• Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, bostonfred said:

I joined you in spirit. Or not partaking of spirits. Whatever. I drank once since the day after Christmas and won't touch it again until Easter. 

How is your fatty liver?  Better?

How kind of you to ask. 

Yes, it has been much better. In terms of numbers AST 16 and ALT 31 and I only stopped drinking for two weeks before draw.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Rodrigo Duterte said:

Tell us about it.  What have you learned?

well not sure if I've " Learned" anything, but I can tell you a few things that have helped me. 

Brief background, last summer, after some pretty good drinking through lockdown, I had my yearly checkup and had high ALT number. So I quit drinking and went back a month later and things were back to good. I made the decision to go ahead and keep it up. 

I have tried to quit several times over the last 5 years, but I always end up slowly getting back to my old ways. The hardest part for me is that there are so many activities that I do that beer was associated with. Yard work? Have a beer, Grilling? Have a beer. Golf, have SEVERAL beers. you get the point. I had to learn to manage the triggers. For the most part that's all gone. I have my golf foursome, who I grew up with, who are also my drinking buddies. They have been really supportive and that's made it easier. I even went down to the local watering hole for some darts Wednesday night and the bartender just brings me a Diet Dr. Pepper without even asking if I want a beer. 

My advice to those who are trying to quit, its like anything it will snowball the longer it goes. Also this is the first time I've  "quit" without counting the days. Before I could always tell you how many days its been, now I only have a general idea. I know I quit sometime in June and with the exception of Election night I've been sober. 

The benefits have been noticeable as well. I sleep SO MUCH better than before. I've saved a ton of money. My anxiety has improved as well as my overall health. I do miss that buzz you get from drinking, but not sure I could keep the drinking in moderation. So as I tell people, I don't know if I'll drink again, I just know I don't want to  drink right now.  

• Like 3
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, St. Louis Bob said:

How kind of you to ask. 

Yes, it has been much better. In terms of numbers AST 16 and ALT 31 and I only stopped drinking for two weeks before draw.

That's awesome nicely done gb

7 minutes ago, tuffnutt said:

well not sure if I've " Learned" anything, but I can tell you a few things that have helped me. 

Brief background, last summer, after some pretty good drinking through lockdown, I had my yearly checkup and had high ALT number. So I quit drinking and went back a month later and things were back to good. I made the decision to go ahead and keep it up. 

I have tried to quit several times over the last 5 years, but I always end up slowly getting back to my old ways. The hardest part for me is that there are so many activities that I do that beer was associated with. Yard work? Have a beer, Grilling? Have a beer. Golf, have SEVERAL beers. you get the point. I had to learn to manage the triggers. For the most part that's all gone. I have my golf foursome, who I grew up with, who are also my drinking buddies. They have been really supportive and that's made it easier. I even went down to the local watering hole for some darts Wednesday night and the bartender just brings me a Diet Dr. Pepper without even asking if I want a beer. 

My advice to those who are trying to quit, its like anything it will snowball the longer it goes. Also this is the first time I've  "quit" without counting the days. Before I could always tell you how many days its been, now I only have a general idea. I know I quit sometime in June and with the exception of Election night I've been sober. 

The benefits have been noticeable as well. I sleep SO MUCH better than before. I've saved a ton of money. My anxiety has improved as well as my overall health. I do miss that buzz you get from drinking, but not sure I could keep the drinking in moderation. So as I tell people, I don't know if I'll drink again, I just know I don't want to  drink right now.  

this is really helpful thank you for sharing 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My "fast" is ending tonite. One day short of the full month. A bunch a buddies are getting together tonite over zoom for some hijinks. The time went quick.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, tuffnutt said:

Congrats - my question to you.  You mention health and drinking in moderation.  Which was a bigger factor?  I’ve been cutting back to a degree to improve my health but I still feel I have the moderation thing down.  Go days without drinking, essentially  never drunk (although I couldn’t drive legally).  Was your motivation to make sure you didn’t have an addiction issue or just keep your health a priority?

Hope my question is well-received - I’m supportive of anybody who wants to quit, no matter the reason.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, AAABatteries said:

Congrats - my question to you.  You mention health and drinking in moderation.  Which was a bigger factor?  I’ve been cutting back to a degree to improve my health but I still feel I have the moderation thing down.  Go days without drinking, essentially  never drunk (although I couldn’t drive legally).  Was your motivation to make sure you didn’t have an addiction issue or just keep your health a priority?

Hope my question is well-received - I’m supportive of anybody who wants to quit, no matter the reason.

A little of both of I’m being honest... my father was an alcoholic and had drank himself to death by the age of 41. So I’ve always been mindful of that. I’ve never had a dui, never had any personal problems stem from drinking, but I have found myself getting to point that when I started drinking it was going to be a big night, nearly every time. That was something that started to scare me. 

but my biggest factor is the health issue. I’ve seen what it looks like when someone destroys their liver by drinking first hand. It is a terrible way to die and that m, probably more than anything is my biggest motivational factor. If I could drink in moderation and with no I’ll effects health wise I would do it. Maybe one day I will... I don’t know

• Like 3