What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Jameis Winston, NO (8 Viewers)

Jameis Winston and the Angry White People Who Would Definitely Do Things Differently Than Him Because They Would Just Be Thankful For The Opportunity Thread
"Angry white people" were also extremely critical of Johnny Manziel for similar reasons to Winston, and there were plenty of "angry white people" who were critical of Tim Tebow's chances to succeed in the NFL. You trying desperately to make this a race issue says more about you than it does the "angry white people".
There is no way in hell Manziel got anywhere near this much vitriol here, particularly the "dumb" thing that keeps getting tossed at Winston constantly. Sorry you can't see it but it's there.
Yes he did. The people on this board and the press had a field day with his rolled up $20 in Vegas, or the Bieber party with underage girls, or the money phone. Give me a break it's not about race but about an athlete being stupid. Ya, sure, he's a kid but when does it stop? After already being accused of rape (innocent or not this should be a grounding for an individual about the vulnerabilities of being in the spotlight), he steals crab legs and gets on a table screaming vulgarities (internet video of the moment) toward women. Shut up play football, go to class, enjoy the moments you are shielded with your teammates to not exercise discourse.

Jameis Winston and the Angry White People Who Would Definitely Do Things Differently Than Him Because They Would Just Be Thankful For The Opportunity Thread
I find it laughable with the insinuation that people of other races don't find the situation Winston is in troubling. I hope that wasn't your point.

The only other angle I can spot is that you are talking about the media. Even then, I don't think it's as problematic as it was 30 years ago. Many of the most popular identities in media these days are minorities, and with social media the voices of those personalities are not limited by what the networks choose to show on their evening news.

Last edited by a moderator:
The constant lying and covering up even the trivial stuff is the most troubling part about his makeup as far as I'm concerned. If I'm a GM, there's no chance this guy sees my board.

Any paid signing stuff is a non-story to me. I doubt NFL teams could care less about a player making money, or not making money, for signing autographs.

Any paid signing stuff is a non-story to me. I doubt NFL teams could care less about a player making money, or not making money, for signing autographs.
They might care about a player willingly breaking the rules. Or not being aware of the rules. Or thinking they're above the rules.

It isn't about the money, it's about the judgement (or lack thereof).

They might care about a player willingly breaking the rules. Or not being aware of the rules. Or thinking they're above the rules.

Agree with you quite a bit, it's just my opinion that a guy that took some cash for autographs is the same a guy that takes a no-show job, or gets a hundo handshake from a booster. I would guess somewhere around 80% of the NFL players that went to big time programs are guilty of this is some manner.

It's a small point, I just doubt this 'scandal' even registers on the NFL red flag Richter scale. He has plenty of other brain farts for the NFL to be worried about, and I would love to wager that this won't be his last one.

Agree with you quite a bit, it's just my opinion that a guy that took some cash for autographs is the same a guy that takes a no-show job, or gets a hundo handshake from a booster. I would guess somewhere around 80% of the NFL players that went to big time programs are guilty of this is some manner.

It's a small point, I just doubt this 'scandal' even registers on the NFL red flag Richter scale. He has plenty of other brain farts for the NFL to be worried about, and I would love to wager that this won't be his last one.
You're right about the autographs by themselves not being a big deal. But add that do his other real and "alleged" transgressions and his judgment does not appear real sound. I think any team interested in his playing ability is going to do a thorough investigation into his past and will interview him multiple times to see if he has the mental makeup to make it as an NFL QB.

It's not caring about the NCAA's stupid rules. If someone is a junior and going to be a top pick there's no reason to care what the NCAA does. Look at Gurley - he's still going to a 1st round pick and doesn't have to wear out his body for free.

It's not caring about the NCAA's stupid rules. If someone is a junior and going to be a top pick there's no reason to care what the NCAA does. Look at Gurley - he's still going to a 1st round pick and doesn't have to wear out his body for free.
LOL at "for free".

I thought the same thing. What does he care about the stupid NCAA hypocrisy? He's still gonna be the first RB off the board. The only thing I felt bad about was he probably had a legit shot at winning the heisman. Kiss that goodbye now.

The NCAA rules are terrible. They make millions upon stacks of millions of dollars from selling the rights to the players' likenesses, their jerseys, etc. etc.. The players get scholarships, so they aren't totally being screwed, but it's still not an equal trade (especially when so many of the players don't actually do their classwork or attend classes). Does him being paid for autographs bother me? Not in the slightest. It's the other stuff. ALL the other stuff. Winston is a grade A d-bag. How can you trust someone to manage your team on the field when they can't manage their own life worth a damn? I wouldn't let this guy park my car let alone QB my football team (and it's not a very nice car).

Winston is 19-0 as a starter. He can lose one game and still have the highest winning percentage of all-time. Not exactly a 'who's who' of NFL QB's.

Here’s a look at the top 10 QBs (minimum of 23 starts):

AJ McCarron, Alabama (2010-Present) – 33-2 (.943)

Jay Barker, Alabama (1991-94) – 35-2-1 (.934)

Danny Wuerffel, Florida (1993-96) – 32-3-1 (.903)

Buck Belue, Georgia (1978-81) – 27-3 (.900)

John Lastinger, Georgia (1981-83) – 20-2-1 (.891)

Greg McElroy, Alabama (2007-10) – 24-3 (.889)

Tee Martin, Tennessee (1996-99) – 22-3 (.880)

Bobby Scott, Tennessee (1968-70) – 20-3 (.869)

Peyton Manning, Tennessee (1994-97) – 39-6 (.867)

Tim Tebow, Florida (2006-09) – 35-6 (.866)

Read more at http://gamedayr.com/sports/aj-mccarron-sec-all-time-winning-percentage-87160/#DZvgbt8EROsuPu1X.99

This to me speaks volumes. Bo is not only one of the nicest people on the planet, but he's also one of the most respected people in NFL circles to this day. Just like Manziel, Winston's stock will drop precipitously because of all these character concerns. The NFL is littered with talented idiots who never amounted to anything (Ryan Leaf, Jamarcus Russell...)

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/10/16/memorabilia-company-has-more-than-2000-jameis-winston-autographs/

NFL scouts interested in Jameis Winston may not have much more college film to study.

According to Darren Rovell of ESPN, James Spence Authentication has more than 2,000 authentic items signed by the Florida State quarterback on its website.

The owner of the company has declined to identify how the items have been acquired. However, James Spence told Rovell that, as of noon ET on Thursday, no one from Florida State had attempted to determine how the signatures were authenticated.

The easiest way to authenticate autographs is to personally observe the creation of them. And that rarely happens unless the person providing the autographs has set up shop for the purposes of signing item after item after item. Even more rarely does that happen for free.

Winston has told coach Jimbo Fisher that the 2013 Heisman winner was not paid for the autographs. Which a reasonable person would expect a college athlete to say if: (1) he wasn’t paid for the autographs; or (2) if he was.

Rotoworld:

Florida State's athletic department compliance staff is reviewing the reported authenticated signatures of redshirt sophomore QB Jameis Winston, but says it hasn't yet found evidence that he accepted payment.

More than 2,000 authenticated Winston autographs have been found on the James Spence Authentication website. "At this time we have no information indicating that he accepted payment for items reported to bear his signature, thereby compromising his athletics eligibility," an FSU statement said. "The fact that items appear on an Internet site bearing the signature of a student-athlete does not singularly determine a violation of NCAA rules." While Winston has signed many items for free in public, JSA's website features more than 50 signed jerseys, photos and mini-helmets that were sequentially numbered, prompting many to speculate they were done at an organized event. Seminoles coach Jimbo Fisher has said Winston has denied getting paid for his signature. Georgia's Todd Gurley was publicly alleged to have been paid, while nobody has yet stepped forward to accuse Winston of accepting cash.

Source: ESPN.com
Oct 17 - 7:53 PM

Rotoworld:

QB guru George Whitfield believes FSU redshirt sophomore Jameis Winston's football IQ is in the same tier as Andrew Luck.

Whitfield has worked with both passers, so obviously he would not say anything negative about Winston outside of critiquing one of his plays. Winston has more success inside the pocket in terms of eye level and working through progressions than any other passer in college football. We think this statement actually has merit. We focus on judging a player by things we see on the field, and for how often Winston is called a "moron" or "dumb," he is certainly not one when playing the game.

Source: Josh Norris on Twitter
Oct 18 - 10:36 AM
CBS Sports' Dane Brugler believes Florida State redshirt sophomore QB Jameis Winston shows "a natural feel for the game as both a passer and runner."

"Breaking down his game, he has the size, arm talent and all the physical traits scouts look for, but Winston is much more than that, showing a natural feel for the game as both a passer and runner. Although the off-field issues and his overall reliability in the NFL will be the key to his draft grade, Winston has top-10 ability on the field and will need to be at his best against Notre Dame's aggressive defense," Brugler wrote. Brugler adds that even though Winston's offensive line has been under performing and is without his biggest weapon from last season in Kelvin Benjamin, Winston "is still completing 70% of his passes this season and is 19-0 as a career starter."

Source: CBS Sports
Oct 16 - 2:11 PM

Rotoworld:

QB guru George Whitfield believes FSU redshirt sophomore Jameis Winston's football IQ is in the same tier as Andrew Luck.

Whitfield has worked with both passers, so obviously he would not say anything negative about Winston outside of critiquing one of his plays. Winston has more success inside the pocket in terms of eye level and working through progressions than any other passer in college football. We think this statement actually has merit. We focus on judging a player by things we see on the field, and for how often Winston is called a "moron" or "dumb," he is certainly not one when playing the game.

Source: Josh Norris on Twitter
Oct 18 - 10:36 AM
Winston makes poor decision off the field, that doesn't mean he's dumb or a moron.

Rotoworld:

FSU redshirt sophomore QB Jameis Winston completed 23 of 31 attempts for 273 yards, two touchdowns and one interception in the school's 31-27 win over Notre Dame.

Winston dominated the second half, completing 15 of 16 attempts. It was not in a clean pocket either, as Winston frequently had to fire in the face of a free rusher or move to find workable space. It was a great quarterback duel, but there were plenty of other pieces that played at a high level too. FSU would have to play down to their competition to stumble before the College Football Playoff.

Oct 18 - 11:52 PM

It was such a joke when people were saying he would stay in school. At least now they're being honest.
It was not a joke. The reason people thought this is because he legitimately loves playing baseball and he won't get to do it again. Obviously things have changed though for him now.

Short of murdering a person, with several witnesses, video tape, and dna linking Winston directly to the murder...what else would Jameis have to do to be kicked off the team? Kicked out of FSU? Anything? FSU has attached their wagon to Winston, and they are gonna ride that ##### however far it can take them. Damn the way it looks, or the fallout later. I hope that everything comes up smelling like roses for Winston, but if it doesn't and he is in the NFL, I hope that Jimbo is not allowed to jump ship at FSU and just go to another school.

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Mel Kiper admitted to dropping FSU redshirt sophomore QB Jameis Winston "a little too far" following his suspension for saying an obscene statement in the student union.

Kiper dropped Winston to No. 25 overall after ranking him at No. 1 to open the season. Winston then jumped to No. 16 and now sits at No. 14. The first drop was "based on a lot of initial feedback regarding his suspension earlier in the season," Kiper writes, adding the quarterback "needs time to prove doubters wrong." This story line will continue throughout the draft process, so buckle up.

Source: ESPN
Oct 22 - 12:33 PM

Faust said:
Rotoworld:

ESPN's Mel Kiper admitted to dropping FSU redshirt sophomore QB Jameis Winston "a little too far" following his suspension for saying an obscene statement in the student union.

Kiper dropped Winston to No. 25 overall after ranking him at No. 1 to open the season. Winston then jumped to No. 16 and now sits at No. 14. The first drop was "based on a lot of initial feedback regarding his suspension earlier in the season," Kiper writes, adding the quarterback "needs time to prove doubters wrong." This story line will continue throughout the draft process, so buckle up.

I'm sure he will be in Kiper's top 5 by the time the draft rolls around. I'm enjoying watching folks say otherwise.

Rotoworld:

Jameis Winston - QB - Seminoles

The Orlando Sentinel's Brandon Sonnone reports that FSU redshirt sophomore QB Jameis Winston "has struggled to match the same level efficiency from last year."

"After losing key targets like Kelvin Benjamin – a first-round draft pick – and Kenny Shaw, the FSU quarterback has struggled to match the same level efficiency from last year," Sonnone writes. Aside from being "less efficient," Sonnone believes that a "different offensive philosophy" could be a reason for the dip in Winston's production. Last season, the Seminoles threw the ball 46.6 percent of the time. This season, Florida State has thrown the ball 53.7 percent of the time. Sonnone believes "this philosophical difference is bound to impact Winston’s numbers" and the Seminoles are not running the ball with as much consistency" in 2014.

Source: Orlando Sentinel

Oct 23 - 3:03 PM

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/nfl-draft-watch--shaun-king-says-winston-is--10-times--the-prospect-mariota-is-184831527.html

The conversation will grow over the next six months. So let’s start it early.

You’re a quarterback-needy team and your choice is this: Florida State's Jameis Winston or Oregon's Marcus Mariota.

On the surface, it appears easy. Winston has trouble written all over him, with off-field problems galore, and Mariota, the clean record and clean-throwing (zero interceptions in 188 passes this season) quarterback, is the obvious choice.

Right?

It’s not that clear-cut. Not at all.

If we are to boil the players down simply on football talent and quarterbacking potential on the next level, Winston — not Mariota — might be the more enticing prospect.

So says former NFL quarterback and Yahoo NFL analyst Shaun King. I asked King to ignore character completely, for argument's sake, and strictly grade each player on their talent and NFL upside.

“In my opinion, if I am grading them, Winston is 10 times the prospect Mariota is,” King said.

What, then, makes Winston so special?

“Physically, he has great size — 6-4, very sturdy build. Built like a pro prospect. Big-time arm — can make all the throws. Great intangibles. Winner. Big-time, big-platform résumé.

“He plays his best on the brightest stages. Last year in the Clemson game, the second half of the national title game, this year’s Notre Dame game. Early in the season, second half against [Oklahoma State], he always plays his best in those moments. He just has a knack for it.”

View gallery

Not that King is down on Mariota. There’s a lot to like, he says.

“I think he has elite athleticism,” King said. “Whereas Winston has great athleticism for a guy his size, Mariota has elite athleticism. He has a good arm; he doesn’t have as big an arm as Winston. He has good size. He’s tall. He’s smart, too.”

King is careful not to make too deep a character assessment on either player but says you can tell a lot about their personalities based on the way they play.

“The difference between the two … Winston is a football player. He rises to the occasion. He has that emotion in a player that you’re looking for,” King said. “That’s a question about Mariota, as is him playing his best when the lights are brightest.

“The difference in their personalities comes through in how they play. Mariota is really laid back. He plays like that. At some point, I think in football I think you have to be ratcheted up a little bit. I’ve never seen him call out one of his teammates for messing up. Winston is the polar opposite.”

We don't yet know what Mariota's plans are following his junior season, but reports have surfaced that Winston is planning to leave school after this season. At this point, it would be a surprise if either returns. NFL scouts already have done work on these underclassmen with the idea that they will be available in the 2015 NFL draft.

I suggest a Winston comparison of Ben Roethlisberger and a Mariota comparison of Alex Smith, or perhaps a slightly better-running version of Smith. King agrees on both — to a certain extent — but says he thinks he knows whose personality Mariota is most similar to.

“See, I think Mariota, personality-wise, is like Joe Flacco. He has a really laid-back off-field demeanor,” King said.

And as for Winston …

“Yeah, [Winston is] a special athlete, but he’s Big Ben special not RG3 special. For a big guy, he’s a great athlete. He’s got a lot of Big Ben to him. Gets out of a lot of sacks. He’ll pick up a first down [with his legs].”

In terms of temperament and being prone to extend plays, even when that’s not the best idea, the Roethlisberger comparison also works for King.

“Absolutely,” King said. “In my opinion, that would be one weakness right now. He’s overaggressive at times. There are some inconsistencies in his decision-making. But you’ll take that. A lot of great ones have that.”

Winston is a pro-style quarterback, King said, and Mariota still has not shown that in his mind.

“I do think there are some question marks about [whether] can Mariota adapt to a different system,” King said. “If I was a team that was really interested in him, I would have to be convinced that he can come from under center, take five- and seven-step drops, and can throw an NFL route tree.

“Winston makes those NFL-type passes. Mariota doesn’t. He throws a lot of screens. He throws a lot of gimmicky stuff with guys running wide open because of their tempo. The windows Mariota is throwing into are nowhere near as tight as the ones Winston is throwing into.”

And yet, there still remains the daunting character issue, which could be a game-changer. There will be no dirt on Mariota, unless people nitpick with his laid-back style. As for Winston, it’s not going to be pretty — from his sexual assault allegations to bouts of immaturity with suspensions at Florida State.

King says that could be a game-changing factor for their draft stocks. But in his mind, there isn’t enough dirt that he knows of to knock Winston down too far next spring. King’s belief: Teams will be enamored with his talent.

“If you’re asking will it affect him with some teams? Absolutely. Do I think he falls outside the top 10? Absolutely not,” King said. “Would it impact me if I was making that decision? No, I’d take him No. 1.”

Rotoworld:

I'm sure he will be in Kiper's top 5 by the time the draft rolls around. I'm enjoying watching folks say otherwise.
There will definitely be a really mis-managed team picking early that will take him. That's why they always pick early.

Rotoworld:

The Orlando Sentinel's Brandon Sonnone reports that FSU redshirt sophomore QB Jameis Winston "has struggled to match the same level efficiency from last year."

"After losing key targets like Kelvin Benjamin – a first-round draft pick – and Kenny Shaw, the FSU quarterback has struggled to match the same level efficiency from last year," Sonnone writes. Aside from being "less efficient," Sonnone believes that a "different offensive philosophy" could be a reason for the dip in Winston's production. Last season, the Seminoles threw the ball 46.6 percent of the time. This season, Florida State has thrown the ball 53.7 percent of the time. Sonnone believes "this philosophical difference is bound to impact Winston’s numbers" and the Seminoles are not running the ball with as much consistency" in 2014.

I would say it's because he actually isn't very good but plays for a team that is very good around him. Dude is at best a middle of the road ham and egger QB at the next level.

Rotoworld:

"After losing key targets like Kelvin Benjamin a first-round draft pick and Kenny Shaw, the FSU quarterback has struggled to match the same level efficiency from last year," Sonnone writes. Aside from being "less efficient," Sonnone believes that a "different offensive philosophy" could be a reason for the dip in Winston's production. Last season, the Seminoles threw the ball 46.6 percent of the time. This season, Florida State has thrown the ball 53.7 percent of the time. Sonnone believes "this philosophical difference is bound to impact Winstons numbers" and the Seminoles are not running the ball with as much consistency" in 2014.

I would say it's because he actually isn't very good but plays for a team that is very good around him. Dude is at best a middle of the road ham and egger QB at the next level.
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: he is BY FAR the best player on the team. There isn't anybody even close to him actually.

Rotoworld:

"After losing key targets like Kelvin Benjamin a first-round draft pick and Kenny Shaw, the FSU quarterback has struggled to match the same level efficiency from last year," Sonnone writes. Aside from being "less efficient," Sonnone believes that a "different offensive philosophy" could be a reason for the dip in Winston's production. Last season, the Seminoles threw the ball 46.6 percent of the time. This season, Florida State has thrown the ball 53.7 percent of the time. Sonnone believes "this philosophical difference is bound to impact Winstons numbers" and the Seminoles are not running the ball with as much consistency" in 2014.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: he is BY FAR the best player on the team. There isn't anybody even close to him actually.
Of course you are going to say that. You scream bias when it comes to Winston. I'm telling you right now, that this guy won't last 4 years in the NFL and will drag down whatever team he plays for. The team that drafts him will know that they made a colossal mistake early but will be forced to keep putting him out on the field until it just becomes embarrassing to do so. Luckily the NFL changed their rookie salaries or this guy would be J-Fat Russell v2.

Rotoworld:

He's passing more this year and completing 70.6% of his passes this year compared to 66.9% last year.

His YPA and TD's are down but that's due to not having a big play weapon like Benjamin.

Rotoworld:

Of course you are going to say that. You scream bias when it comes to Winston. I'm telling you right now, that this guy won't last 4 years in the NFL and will drag down whatever team he plays for. The team that drafts him will know that they made a colossal mistake early but will be forced to keep putting him out on the field until it just becomes embarrassing to do so. Luckily the NFL changed their rookie salaries or this guy would be J-Fat Russell v2.
I think that is a great Rap name. J-Fat Russell v2 is in the house!!!!!

Rotoworld:

Unless he gets drafted by the Bucs I couldn't possibly care less how he does in the nfl. That's not the part of your comment I was laughing at.

He looked pretty good last night. At least one of his INTs was an amazing throw and the WR just stopped running. For literally no reason. I loved it since I wanted Louisville to win, but his 2nd pick could hardly be blamed on him, it would have been a great throw had the WR finished his route.

Afterwards on the sideline they showed the coach, the WR, and Winston. The coach just stood there and Winston reamed out the WR while he nodded and looked away. Winston really runs this team on the field and it's hard to argue that he's a winner. He just finds ways to win games, and on the field that's all that matters.

Will he stay on the field and not get suspended for seasons at a time? Who knows. If he can stop being immature and maybe get a life coach or something perhaps he can turn things around like Dez in Dallas.

Users who are viewing this thread