What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Melvin Gordon, BAL (5 Viewers)

Gordon's probably on a super thin leash, no doubt, but he looked better at the end of last year than the beginning, that's for sure. Sharp, decisive, and quick. If he's what they say he is in the passing game, he's not likely to yield to Williams just yet. Williams is not necessarily solidified as a pro-caliber receiving back just yet, because he only got a certain number of snaps with Michael Carter also roaming the backfield at UNC during passing downs.

The above article about how Gordon's job has "never been in more jeopardy" is about ball security and if he puts the ball on the ground. It's really a nothingburger but for a bit of a threat from a talk radio station.

But yeah, a second-round pick and all around talent is looking over his shoulder at RB. Should Gordon slip an inch, he'll be sitting if Williams is pro ready. If Williams shines in limited exposure, also look out.

Williams is not necessarily solidified as a pro-caliber receiving back just yet, because he only got a certain number of snaps with Michael Carter also roaming the backfield at UNC during passing downs.
Hey I know that's the popular narrative this spring but have you ever come across any advanced stats on usage? Because the last two years their touches and pass receptions are almost identical. Did they alternate series or was it a true thunder n lightning type roles? Seem like very similar production but admittedly I have seen virtually no ACC football the last several years. Williams had twice as many touchdowns in 2020 so presumably he got a sh!t-ton more RZ carries.

Gordon's probably on a super thin leash, no doubt, but he looked better at the end of last year than the beginning, that's for sure. Sharp, decisive, and quick.
Completely agree. And ran with a lot of purpose. Last 5 games averaged 5.3 ypc and 86 ypg.

If I were to speculate I'd say it had something to do with a "come to Jesus" moment after the DUI charges.

Melvin Gordon rushed 11 times for 101 yards and a touchdown in the Broncos' Week 1 win over the Giants.

Gordon started but rotated with Javonte Williams, playing an even 50% of snaps. He was having a nondescript night before hitting a 70-yard touchdown late in the fourth quarter. The Broncos look committed to a two-back committee, but the big game should give Gordon the touch edge for a Week 2 matchup with the Jaguars.

Melvin Gordon rushed 18 times for 61 yards and a touchdown in the Broncos' Week 3 win over the Jets, adding a 21-yard reception. 

Gordon out-carried Javonte Williams 18-12, though the duo split carries inside the five, with Williams out-touching Gordon 3-2. Of course, they both scored while Williams lost a fumble, so the rookie could be on Week 4 probation. That game will finally come against an above-average opponent, a Ravens defense that is stacking up the run and getting shredded by the pass

Melvin Gordon (ribs, lower leg) was limited in Thursday's practice.

Gordon was limited on Wednesday as well but should be good to go for the Broncos' Week 4 game against the Ravens. Vegas has Baltimore as slight favorites in this contest but Denver should keep it close enough to feed Gordon, who is averaging 14 carries per game through three weeks. Gordon is a solid RB3 option but his split with Javonte Williams caps his ceiling.

Sep 30, 2021, 7:05 PM ET

Melvin Gordon (hip) is questionable for Week 6 against the Raiders.

Like the previous two weeks, Gordon was limited in practice on Thursday and Friday and is expected to play despite being labeled a game-time call. Suddenly battling a hip issue on top of his lower leg injury, it's still possible rookie Javonte Williams is eventually asked to carry the load if Gordon's ailments eventually hold him back. The two will continue splitting carries as co-RB3s until that point.

SOURCE: Mike Klis on Twitter

Oct 15, 2021, 3:33 PM ET

Melvin Gordon rushed eight times for 18 yards in the Broncos' Week 7 loss to the Browns, adding two receptions for 14 additional yards and a touchdown. 

Gordon's score was an eight-yarder in the third quarter where he showed ridiculous balance after being tripped up as he lunged for the goal line. Gordon out-carried rookie Javonte Williams 8-4, though Williams out-gained him 20-18. Williams also out-caught his veteran backfield mate 6-2, and scored a touchdown of his own. Williams is offering a little more big-play juice right now, but there isn't much separating these two despite how desperately the fantasy community wants Denver to commit to Williams. Gordon will remain an RB2/FLEX for Week 8 vs. the Football Team. 

Oct 22, 2021, 12:09 AM ET

Melvin Gordon rushed 21 times for 80 yards and one touchdown in the Broncos' Week 9 win over the Cowboys.

He added two catches for 15 yards on three targets in the passing game. The 21 carries and 23 touches overall were both season-highs for Gordon, who out-carried rookie Javonte Williams 21-17 and saw the only three backfield targets between the two. It was Williams, however, who got the Broncos into the red zone with some angry runs before Gordon punched in a vultured three-yard touchdown in the first quarter. Gordon has now scored four touchdowns over his last three games and remains the narrow 1A to Williams' 1B in this timeshare. Gordon will be a middling RB2 next week against the Eagles.

- NBC SportsEDGE

Speaking Thursday, Broncos coach Vic Fangio said that Melvin Gordon (hip/shoulder) would not practice today and will be "50-50" to play against the Chiefs. 

Gordon has been a gamer this year and is playing quite well, but this is not great news for his Week 13 fantasy prospects. We suspect he'll be on the optimistic side of questionable if he practices on Friday, and if he plays he'll probably remain in the RB2/RB3 tier against a Chiefs defense without a lot of recent historical success against the run. 

SOURCE: Mike Klis on Twitter

Dec 2, 2021, 1:07 PM ET

Melvin Gordon (hip) is doubtful for Week 13 against the Chiefs. 

All aboard the Javonte Williams hype train. A highly efficient player on limited touches so far as a rookie, Williams is now going to get full starter's touches in a matchup against a poor run defense. He is a must-start option this week. As for Gordon, a full week of missed practices suggests he is at best questionable for Week 14.  

RELATED: 

Javonte Williams

SOURCE: Zac Stevens on Twitter

Dec 3, 2021, 3:18 PM ET

Melvin Gordon (hip) returned to practice Wednesday.

Gordon was held out of practice throughout the week before missing the Broncos' Week 13 matchup with the Chiefs. Despite the offense looking anemic as a whole, Javonte Williams shined in his first crack at the starting gig. Williams turned 29 touches into 178 yards and a touchdown. Gordon's return will reset the backfield to a committee but Williams' stellar Week 13 should earn him more touches. Williams should be viewed as an RB2 with Gordon still holding some FLEX value in Week 14 versus the Lions.

Dec 8, 2021, 2:05 PM ET

Speaking Thursday, Melvin Gordon (hip) told reporters "I feel like I'll be able to go Sunday." 

Gordon added that he was close to being able to play against the Chiefs last weekend, said that he wants to be back in Denver in 2022, and noted that he understands fantasy football players aren't excited about that. Well, it's good to feel understood. Gordon looks likely to practice again -- probably in a limited fashion -- on Thursday. He'll be on the RB2 line against the Lions on Sunday if he suits up. 

SOURCE: Nick Kosmider on Twitter

Dec 9, 2021, 1:56 PM ET

Melvin Gordon (hip) is questionable for Week 14 against the Lions.

Broncos coach Vic Fangio also said he "believes" Gordon will play. With Mike Boone placed on the team's COVID list during Friday's practice, there are a handful of touches to be dispersed between Javonte Williams and Gordon in a tremendous spot against Detroit's front-seven. Managers should still keep their ears to the ground since Boone's status could create a handful of close contacts ruled out on Saturday.

Dec 10, 2021, 3:27 PM ET

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Melvin Gordon (thumb/hip) is expected to play in Week 17 against the Chargers.

Gordon has been dealing with both injuries for multiple weeks and they have yet to limit him. The Chargers are allowing more rushing yards per game than any other team and Denver is missing most of its passing attack. Expect Gordon and Williams to be featured heavily in this game. Gordon remains the lead-back by carries but both backs could achieve RB2 numbers this week. 

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Jan 2, 2022, 8:54 AM ET

Broncos GM George Paton said “I’ve had really good discussions with Melvin. I’d like to have him back.”

Gordon is a pending free agent but played well in what may ultimately be his final year with the Broncos. He ran for 918 yards at 4.5 yards per carry while splitting the backfield with Javonte Williams. Gordon also pitched in as a pass-catcher, adding 213 yards on 28 receptions. Williams was the more explosive and elusive back but Gordon held his own at the age of 28. With Williams teed up for a larger role in 2022, the Broncos aren't likely to make the biggest offer Gordon receives this offseason. If he wants to cash in on one more multi-year deal before he turns 30, it may have to take place in a new city. 

RELATED: 

Javonte Williams

SOURCE: Field Yates on Twitter

Mar 1, 2022, 12:49 PM ET

Broncos free agent RB Melvin Gordon has interest in re-signing with the team.

Broncos GM George Paton said the team is in talks to bring Gordon back. Gordon, 29, would likely need to accept a team discount to return after playing under a $8.9 million cap hit last year. Gordon, who had 20 touchdowns in two seasons with Denver, is expected to have multiple suitors if he reaches free agency.

SOURCE: ABC Denver

Mar 12, 2022, 10:27 AM ET

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports free agent RB Melvin Gordon is "in discussions" with the Ravens. 

Gordon, whose return to Denver seems more unlikely every day, would create a fantasy backfield nightmare if he signs with Baltimore and joins J.K. Dobbins and Gus Edwards, both of whom are returning from ACL injuries. Turning 29 in April, Gordon would likely sign an incentive-laden deal with the Ravens if Baltimore can lure him into a short-term contract. Gordon flashed at times in 2021, posting the second highest yards per carry (4.5) of his six-year NFL career while scoring ten touchdowns for the Broncos. He would presumably split the workload in the Ravens' backfield, though it's unclear whether he would be the 1A or 1B back. His departure from Denver would catapult Javonte Williams into workhorse-back territory for 2022. 

https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/football/nfl/player/9032/melvin-gordon

Last edited by a moderator:
NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports free agent RB Melvin Gordon is "in discussions" with the Ravens. 

Gordon, whose return to Denver seems more unlikely every day, would create a fantasy backfield nightmare if he signs with Baltimore and joins J.K. Dobbins and Gus Edwards, both of whom are returning from ACL injuries. Turning 29 in April, Gordon would likely sign an incentive-laden deal with the Ravens if Baltimore can lure him into a short-term contract. Gordon flashed at times in 2021, posting the second highest yards per carry (4.5) of his six-year NFL career while scoring ten touchdowns for the Broncos. He would presumably split the workload in the Ravens' backfield, though it's unclear whether he would be the 1A or 1B back. His departure from Denver would catapult Javonte Williams into workhorse-back territory for 2022. 

https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/football/nfl/player/9032/melvin-gordon
What a cluster you know what that would be for those holding Ravens RBs,.

So he left Ravens without a contract and last visit was Miami right? As a Dobbins owner REALLY hope he signs somewhere else....but not in Denver. 

Broncos re-signed RB Melvin Gordon to a one-year contract.

It's a crushing blow to Javonte Williams' fantasy stock. Gordon, now 29, still has gas left in the tank but never found anything else outside of Denver in free agency despite flirting with the Ravens. Gordon averaged a solid 4.5 yards per carry on 203 attempts last season, totaling 918 yards and eight touchdowns, missing just one game. That one missed game gave us a glimpse of Williams' RB1 upside. But it'll have to wait. Look for new coach Nathaniel Hackett to utilize Gordon and Williams like Aaron Jones and AJ Dillon from Hackett's days as the Packers' offensive coordinator. We like Williams' chances of taking 1A duties from Gordon this year, but it might not be enough to push him above mid-range RB2 status in fantasy. Gordon will remain on the RB2/3 threshold.

RELATED: 

Javonte Williams

SOURCE: Jordan Schultz on Twitter

Apr 26, 2022, 9:57 PM ET

Rapoport tweeting "a 1-year deal worth up to $5M."
I think he should have held out for.... what was it? It was something like $15M/season because $12m/season was an insulting offer if I remember correctly.

If you want to read some pure comedy gold go back to that thread and listen to all the folks that thought he was getting offered way too little money and he should hold out because he held all the negotiating cards. Austin Ekeler should send him an Xmas card every year, without the holdout Ekeler may have never got the opportunity to show he was a better player than the starter.

"Up to" lol.

This sheds more light on the trend that RBs are not going to be paid a lot anytime soon, with perhaps a few exceptions. Maybe it will eventually change, but NFL GMs seem to have finally caught up to the notion that it's largely a replaceable position and guys get hurt all the time. Why give a big multi-year deal for that? 

I also disagree with the analysis blurb above that Gordon signing is automatically a crushing blow to Javonte. Yes, it's going to hurt his stock because Gordon is a good player and will likely be used quite a bit , but we have no idea how Hackett will use his RBs just because he used a committee in GB. If Javonte blows Gordon out of the water - which is possible - he could get a stranglehold on the job. And I have no dog in this fight, not owning either guy. 

And if you'd rather your car kept some tread on its tires, Gordon is actually a great compliment to him.

And Jevonte likely ends up with less chance of injury on top of it.  I mean, they don't want to McAffrey the guy.

Agree with this...you are just not gonna see many more Derrick Henry's going forward...most big time RBs are going to have another quality RB (or two) in the backfield with them...my guess is Williams seizes a bigger slice of the pie but I think people just need to realize this is how it is going to be and adjust expectations accordingly...and as you said, as far as longevity is concerned it is not a bad thing.

There was no way Denver was going into the season without a capable backup.  I've always felt it was baked into Javonte's value.  I don't see this as a hit to his value.

A timeshare was baked into his value as the 1.05 pick in dynasty startup drafts?

He's still a great option, but a high probability of being the unquestioned feature back in that offense was absolutely a major part of his value way up there as a top 5 overall dynasty player.

He's light years better than Ekeler and Justin Jackson no matter what the stats say.  Eye's don't lie.

You lost all credibility with me by saying Gordon is not light years better than Ekeler or Jackson...  Gordon is a back who can get you to the SuperBowl.

You've made your opinion very clear that you think ekeler is some how better then Gordon. Last time I checked when you are the rb2 in fantasy your stats in real life are pretty good.

Went back to reread the Gordon holdout posts, and couldn't resist quoting these, since they aged so poorly. (It happens to the best of us!)

There was no way Denver was going into the season without a capable backup.  I've always felt it was baked into Javonte's value.  I don't see this as a hit to his value.
I didn’t see his price as having a timeshare baked in. 1.05 in rookie startups is the price a bell-cow back commands.

Yes, they were always going to have a capable backup. But this is a 50-50 or 60-40 situation, making his 1.05 price an overpay, barring injury or a sudden propensity to be not good at football to befall Gordon. 

I didn’t see his price as having a timeshare baked in. 1.05 in rookie startups is the price a bell-cow back commands.

Yes, they were always going to have a capable backup. But this is a 50-50 or 60-40 situation, making his 1.05 price an overpay, barring injury or a sudden propensity to be not good at football to befall Gordon. 
I can’t speak to those people that took him at 1.05 in start ups but I always thought Gordon was coming back, to the point I traded for Gordon early in the off-season as a handcuff well before he re-signed.

I can’t speak to those people that took him at 1.05 in start ups but I always thought Gordon was coming back, to the point I traded for Gordon early in the off-season as a handcuff well before he re-signed.
Yeah, I also felt it was inevitable. They were a great combo, and there was absolutely no Gordon news when FA hit. The silence spoke volumes. 

Hot Sauce Guy said:
Yeah, I also felt it was inevitable. They were a great combo, and there was absolutely no Gordon news when FA hit. The silence spoke volumes. 
I thought he would have been a great fit for a team like TEN as a pure backup that "could make UP TO $5mil lol". When I read that it sounds like he could make DOWN TO the vet minimum. If Henry goes down the Titans showed last season they can get by with a RB that can just absorb carry after carry after carry so they simply need guys that can still run the offense with and Gordon seems like a good fit in that regard.

Another landing spot I thought made a lot of sense is NYJ. They are MILES away from being significant and by the time they are it will be time to jettison the RB they just traded up for in the 2nd round. You can't convince me that 4 years of Hall at RB is worth more than either an edge(Ojabo/Mafe) or CB(Booth/Gordon) for a second contract AND whoever you take with #146. If you still want a RB there were still both Allgeier/Ford, although I'll admit since the Jets won't be competing for anything for at least a year I probably would have taken the injury discount on Damone Clark(LB) who likely gets a second contract as well based on talent. 

I just think drafting a RB early is a bad idea, trading up to draft a RB is a dumpster fire unless you are on the brink of a SB and that RB could be the last piece. That is just not where the Jets are imo. Even if you make the mistake of taking a RB early.... are you sure that Kenneth Walker is so much worse that you can afford to lose a pick to "upgrade" to Hall?

Pay Gordon "UP TO" $5mil for a season seems like the wiser choice.

I thought he would have been a great fit for a team like TEN as a pure backup that "could make UP TO $5mil lol". When I read that it sounds like he could make DOWN TO the vet minimum. If Henry goes down the Titans showed last season they can get by with a RB that can just absorb carry after carry after carry so they simply need guys that can still run the offense with and Gordon seems like a good fit in that regard.

Another landing spot I thought made a lot of sense is NYJ. They are MILES away from being significant and by the time they are it will be time to jettison the RB they just traded up for in the 2nd round. You can't convince me that 4 years of Hall at RB is worth more than either an edge(Ojabo/Mafe) or CB(Booth/Gordon) for a second contract AND whoever you take with #146. If you still want a RB there were still both Allgeier/Ford, although I'll admit since the Jets won't be competing for anything for at least a year I probably would have taken the injury discount on Damone Clark(LB) who likely gets a second contract as well based on talent. 

I just think drafting a RB early is a bad idea, trading up to draft a RB is a dumpster fire unless you are on the brink of a SB and that RB could be the last piece. That is just not where the Jets are imo. Even if you make the mistake of taking a RB early.... are you sure that Kenneth Walker is so much worse that you can afford to lose a pick to "upgrade" to Hall?

Pay Gordon "UP TO" $5mil for a season seems like the wiser choice.

No to all of this. 

Users who are viewing this thread