Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

______ Passed Away Today, RIP


Recommended Posts

On 3/22/2021 at 3:51 PM, boilerdave said:

Elgin Baylor. I remember seeing him play (on TV) but it would have been the last few years of his career, he was starting to wear down as I recall but still a lot fun to watch. 

They say he wasn’t nearly as explosive after his knee surgery after the 1965 season; I probably first saw him a year or two later. So consider this: in his past his prime late Bernard King years, 1966-67 to 1969-70, he averaged 25.4/11.6/4.6, made 4 ASG, his PER was 5th/4th/5th/7th, and he made 1st Team All League 3 times.

Whereas in his first 5 years the numbers were 32.0/16.7/4.4 and his PER was 1st/2nd every year.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, The Man With No Name said:

This guy's name was a legend in my playground days.

If you made a great play, then you won the right to temporarily name yourself after the superstar of your choice -- usually "Magic!" or "Bird!" or "Kareem!" or "Jordan!"

But if you put up an airball or made a bonehead play? Then the other team got to name you after some NBA benchwarmer. Some of the popular names were "Granville Waiters!", "Paul Mokeski!", "Scott Hastings!", and "Manute!"

Anyway, RIP to one of the top-10 NBA hairdos of all time.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Sea Duck said:

This guy's name was a legend in my playground days.

If you made a great play, then you won the right to temporarily name yourself after the superstar of your choice -- usually "Magic!" or "Bird!" or "Kareem!" or "Jordan!"

But if you put up an airball or made a bonehead play? Then the other team got to name you after some NBA benchwarmer. Some of the popular names were "Granville Waiters!", "Paul Mokeski!", "Scott Hastings!", and "Manute!"

 

And the fat guys were automatically Billy Paultz, or more affectionately, The Whopper.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/19/2021 at 7:20 AM, El Floppo said:

Rip Dick Hoyt, best known for pushing his son with cerebral palsy in a wheelchair though countless endurance races including marathons and Iron Man triathlons. If you ever watched IM Kona on tv, you know who I'm talking about.

Yeah, that dude had an amazing life.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:

Sadly I’ll have to pull a noonan here and say I’m not familiar with her work but she looked amazing for 80. 

Treat yourself to a stream of Arrested Development.   ...Maybe not season 5.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, NorvilleBarnes said:

Jessica Walters :(

Glad she got a 2nd act on Arrested Development cuz she was the member of the LoveBoatIronsideWelbyGuestShot/NowIsSheTheOneMarriedToRobertWagner? '70s actress vortex who could actually act. RIP -

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

She also did the voice of Archer's mom - with the character as rendered looking a lot like Jessica Walter.

But (maybe sadly given her body of work), I remember her most fondly for her role as Phyllis Brody in The Flamingo Kid. She more than held her own in the swimsuit competition (in a movie that also had Janet Jones/Gretzky in it), she delivered some great lines too.

 

Edited by Gr00vus
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:

Sadly I’ll have to pull a noonan here and say I’m not familiar with her work but she looked amazing for 80. 

For some reason, I can picture Lucille Bluth holding a martini and saying "I’m not familiar with her work but she looked amazing for 80."

  • Like 3
  • Laughing 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, wikkidpissah said:

Glad she got a 2nd act on Arrested Development cuz she was the member of the LoveBoatIronsideWelbyGuestShot/NowIsSheTheOneMarriedToRobertWagner? '70s actress vortex who could actually act. RIP -

If you spend any time on MeTv, especially the cop shows, she's ubiquitous. 

She and Leslie Nielsen had the market cornered on "Special Guest Star".

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Gr00vus said:

She also did the voice of Archer's mom - with the character as rendered looking a lot like Jessica Walter.

 

I've never read anything about this, but it seemed the Malory Archer character was a spot on re-casting of her Lucille Bluth character.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Don Quixote said:

For her early work, I thought she was great in “Play Misty for Me.” Able to turn from charm to *menace* pretty quickly.

Clint ended up wishing he really was the man with no name.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, CletiusMaximus said:

I've never read anything about this, but it seemed the Malory Archer character was a spot on re-casting of her Lucille Bluth character.

 

I read an obit of her today that said it was exactly that. The casting call explicitly mentioned that they were going for a Lucille Bluth vibe. Her agent saw it and said to her, if you're interested in the role, let's call them. She was and they did. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Don Quixote said:

For her early work, I thought she was great in “Play Misty for Me.” Able to turn from charm to *menace* pretty quickly.

Earlier than that she was in the movie Grand Prix. Released in 1966 and directed by John Frankenheimer.
A ground breaking movie for sound mixing, film editing, etc. I recommend giving it a watch if you’ve never seen it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Tom Servo said:

Houston Tumlin - the child actor from Talladega Nights - took his life. He was 28. 

I always laugh a little too much at his scenes in that movie, especially "I threw a bunch of Grandpa Chip’s war medals off the bridge."

 

R.I.P., Walker. You're gone far too young.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

RIP author/screenwriter Larry McMurtry

Also a few various sports personalities over the past few days:

Stan Albeck - former NBA coach 

Bobby Brown - ex MLB player and later American League President

Bob Plager - longtime St. Louis Blues defenseman along with his brother Barclay - both had their numbers retired by the Blues

 

Edited by zamboni
  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, zamboni said:

RIP author/screenwriter Larry McMurtry

Also a few various sports personalities over the past few days:

Stan Albeck - former NBA coach 

Bobby Brown - ex MLB player and later American League President

Bob Plager - longtime St. Louis Blues defenseman along with his brother Barclay - both had their numbers retired by the Blues

 

"Lonesome Dove" is one of the finest novels I've ever read.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, zamboni said:

RIP author/screenwriter Larry McMurtry

 

It's been 40 yrs anyway since i boarded a plane without either a Thomas Harris or Larry McMurtry (sooo similar) book for my inflight reading. The Thalia series is so dense with what we are that we almost forget we're in the middle of nowhere without a plan. Plenty other good'ns, but McMurtry's path to heaven need be no better paved than with Lonesome Dove. Novels & miniseries, pure and poignant as dawn sky. RIP -=

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, zamboni said:

RIP author/screenwriter Larry McMurtry

 

 

By most accounts he was a flaming ####### but, my God, could he write. Lonesome Dove is still the best novel I've ever read. I was shocked when it won the Pulitzer. Not because it wasn't good enough, but because I didn't think books like that could win.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Ted Lange as your Bartender said:

Children’s book author Beverly Cleary - age 104.  Had no idea she was still alive

https://twitter.com/harpercollins/status/1375554229729918980?s=10

Wow, brings me back to reading in elementary school.  104, that's amazing.  May she rest in peace.  :( 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/10/2021 at 12:44 PM, eoMMan said:

More famous in his later years not necessarily as a bowler, but more for designing balls and coming up with new layouts/ball technology/etc. He was one of the founders of Radical.

Thanks, from me and my 1976 Dick Weber Powerball.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Mrs. Rannous said:

And I had no idea who she was (or the books either).

She was a treasure! If you have grandkids get her books for read alouds. I couldn’t get enough of Ramona back in elementary school. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Clown Car said:

She was a treasure! If you have grandkids get her books for read alouds. I couldn’t get enough of Ramona back in elementary school. 

I don't have kids, so that's out.  I read English kid's books, mostly Enid Blyton.  And Dr. Suess of course.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Mrs. Rannous said:

I don't have kids, so that's out.  I read English kid's books, mostly Enid Blyton.  And Dr. Suess of course.

Then just get a couple from the library for yourself. Beezus and Ramona is good. And Henry and ribsy. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So Lonesome Dove is a must-read, huh?

RIP to McMurtry and the others today. I always wanted to watch The Last Picture Show. There's an author behind it, and it's apparently him. Interesting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Clown Car said:

Then just get a couple from the library for yourself. Beezus and Ramona is good. And Henry and ribsy. 

Those were staples in my elementary years - and the Wednesday Witch, while I'm strolling down memory lane. They were right up there with Charlotte's Web back in the day.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Clown Car said:

Then just get a couple from the library for yourself. Beezus and Ramona is good. And Henry and ribsy. 

Ralph and the Motorcycle was one of my favorites.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, SoBeDad said:

Legendary coach Howard Schnellenberger, who started the Miami Hurricanes dynasty, dies

His bio includes recruiting Joe Namath to Alabama, the Dolphin's perfect season, the start of the Hurricanes dynasty and building the FAU football program from scratch. He was 87.

Interesting career. If he doesn't leave Miami for an ill-fated USFL job prospect in 1984, then the whole "The U" phenomenon probably doesn't even happen.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, rockaction said:

So Lonesome Dove is a must-read, huh?

RIP to McMurtry and the others today. I always wanted to watch The Last Picture Show. There's an author behind it, and it's apparently him. Interesting.

Horseman, Pass By (made in to the movie Hud, but quite different), Leaving Cheyenne & Last Picture Show (i think they're McMurtry's first 3 books) are a series and they're right up your alley thematically, if not genre-wise. Base existentials - broiling fusses over bleak circumstance - told like a story 'round a fire. Read em casually and let em sneak up on you. Lonesome Dove is right there with the big novels - the obvious and obscure, done in grand style

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
  • Create New...