What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Solo: A Star Wars Movie (1 Viewer)

A young Luke? A young Solo? A young Lando?

These characters weren't old in the original trilogy. I understood the idea of a prequel to see Vader before he was masked. Obi-wan before he was an old man. To see what this clone war was all about. But this is just silly. These characters all had character arcs almost 40 years ago. EVERY movie has characters that have backstories but that doesn't mean we need a ####### prequel for everything. 

This universe is so small and lame. 
So is your face.

My concern with the Solo film concept is that more than any other human character in the Star Wars world - the character is inextricably tied with the actor. Harrison Ford created the persona - and I think it will be difficult for any actor to recreate that aura.
My first thought exactly.

It's Star Wars, so I'm gonna love it, even if the actor is destined to disappoint.  But to be honest, I think people are SO WORRIED, that they'll actually end up liking him in the end.  Like maybe that's Disney's 4D chess moment.  They've got a role that is impossible to duplicate, so they allow nothing but negative stuff to leak out for months, then we get to the film and it's actually pretty good.  

Like seriously, my kids who love Star Wars, think this movie is going to stink.  Disney is setting everyone up!

These characters weren't old in the original trilogy. I understood the idea of a prequel to see Vader before he was masked. Obi-wan before he was an old man. To see what this clone war was all about. But this is just silly. These characters all had character arcs almost 40 years ago. EVERY movie has characters that have backstories but that doesn't mean we need a ####### prequel for everything. 

The universe definitely needs to be expanded and not hover around this one timeline or it's going to get stale quickly, imo.  But hey, this is the beginning of decades of Star Wars movies.  Give it time.

It's Star Wars, so I'm gonna love it, even if the actor is destined to disappoint.  But to be honest, I think people are SO WORRIED, that they'll actually end up liking him in the end.  Like maybe that's Disney's 4D chess moment.  They've got a role that is impossible to duplicate, so they allow nothing but negative stuff to leak out for months, then we get to the film and it's actually pretty good.  

Like seriously, my kids who love Star Wars, think this movie is going to stink.  Disney is setting everyone up!
How many times has that "Han actor can't act" story been regurgitated here? 3? 4? It's the ONLY story we've seen on this. Yeah, there probably were problems, but it seems people want to make this a fiasco on the order of Ishtar. :rolleyes:  

How many times has that "Han actor can't act" story been regurgitated here? 3? 4? It's the ONLY story we've seen on this. Yeah, there probably were problems, but it seems people want to make this a fiasco on the order of Ishtar. :rolleyes:  
Well they did also have to fire the guys making the movie, bring in Ron Howard at the last minute to salvage it, and there has been very very little promo on for a Star Wars movie that should have been marketed to death for months now given it comes out in May. I think Disney must know there are alot of issues here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's what I gathered from what I've been hearing from people's discussions since the Last Jedi.

- The Last Jedi sucked because it's killing off the Skywalker lineage and that's what the whole series is suppose to be about.

- The Solo movie will suck because someone heard a rumor the actor is bad.

- They don't need to have any more back stories and should focus on the rest of the Star Wars world.

- It's time to move on from the small world/story line we've been seeing in all the movies.  This contradicts the fist point drastically.

- They will never please every fan, ever, so I'm not going to worry about it and just enjoy it for what they are, entertainment.

Here's what I gathered from what I've been hearing from people's discussions since the Last Jedi.

- The Last Jedi sucked because it's killing off the Skywalker lineage and that's what the whole series is suppose to be about.

- The Solo movie will suck because someone heard a rumor the actor is bad.

- They don't need to have any more back stories and should focus on the rest of the Star Wars world.

- It's time to move on from the small world/story line we've been seeing in all the movies.  This contradicts the fist point drastically.

- They will never please every fan, ever, so I'm not going to worry about it and just enjoy it for what they are, entertainment.
Most I agree with, except point #1 didn't have anything to do with why I didn't like TLJ much.  

Well they did also have to fire the guys making the movie, bring in Ron Howard at the last minute to salvage it, and there has been very very little promo on for a Star Wars movie that should have been marketed to death for months now given it comes out in May. I think Disney must know there are alot of issues here.
They did the same sort of thing (changing directors & engaging in reshoots) before R1 came out.  Turned out fine 

Again, it's all the same story we seen multiple times. It's the only story like this and has been barfed up now 3 or 4 times on this board. Nothing to back that up or deny it has come out since.

As Premier has pointed out, Disney didn't want the Solo movie to compete with TLJ for hype. This is reasonable; only hype one movie at a time. Now, why are they doing Solo in May and not Christmastime? Who knows? The fact that it's in (late?) May means they're trying to catch the summer viewing season. If they wanted to bury this movie, one of the places they could do it is early January, for example. The fact that it's late spring/early summer means they're confident enough that the Star Wars uber nerd viewers will go and see it. If they happen to catch some people who like the buddy cop/action adventure type movie, that's a bonus.

As I mentioned previously, whether it makes 1 or 2 billion is irrelevant. It's all Scrooge McDuck money.

My concern with the Solo film concept is that more than any other human character in the Star Wars world - the character is inextricably tied with the actor. Harrison Ford created the persona - and I think it will be difficult for any actor to recreate that aura. 

I will probably go see it, but my kids are not begging to go see this.  I think the story will be mildly entertaining, but the execution will fall flat. But I hope I am wrong. 
This is a pretty fair criticism and a definite hurdle they will be facing, but there's a lot of nerds out there who have only seen the same 30 second trailer that the rest of us have, and have already declared it the

WORST. MOVIE.  EVER.

Get a grip, dorks.

They did the same sort of thing (changing directors & engaging in reshoots) before R1 came out.  Turned out fine 
While I am not as scared of the director change as most, even I have to admit that I was shocked as to why they were changed for Solo.

Changing directors in a movie is not that uncommon but I have to say this was probably the first time I ever heard the reason being "we thought they wanted us to shoot a comedy".  

The lack of communication involved considering the money being invested is frightening.

So, who is the actor?  You all reference him as being terrible, but never say who it is.  I haven't seen the trailer, so I am at a loss.  Is he in something else maybe people have seen to compare?

TIA

Hawkeye21 said:
If The Last Jedi was a disaster what are the prequels considered?
I thought the Force Awakens was WORSE than two of the prequels.  Last Jedi was Solid.  Rogue One goes back and forth with Empire in my number one spot.  That flick was so $$$.

People that claim that TLJ was a bad movie because of its plot holes is apparently new the Star Wars universe and how its middle movies work.   Though I admit the whole side story with Fin and Rose was a complete waste of time and seemingly only there to give Fin something to do.

People that claim that TLJ was a bad movie because of its plot holes is apparently new the Star Wars universe and how its middle movies work.   Though I admit the whole side story with Fin and Rose was a complete waste of time and seemingly only there to give Fin something to do.
How about when you couple that with the main story being a slow chase through space while the bad guys wait for the good guys to run out of gas?  For me it wasn't plot holes or killing off Skywalkers, I just thought it was dull more more of the running time than not.  

should get larger pretty soon with the Game of Throne folks on board for a NEW series, separate from the "Star Wars Saga" and the "Star Wars Stories"

https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/6/16980500/star-wars-game-of-thrones-david-benioff-db-weiss

Oh, and ps:  Solo was destined to be a disaster because there's no talk of a trailer, so must've been that Lucasfilm/Disney were trying to bury the movie.

Then a Super Bowl commercial and theatrical trailer come out, so it's time to move on to the next set of made up reasons why this will bomb and be horrible.

Oh, and ps:  Solo was destined to be a disaster because there's no talk of a trailer, so must've been that Lucasfilm/Disney were trying to bury the movie.

Then a Super Bowl commercial and theatrical trailer come out, so it's time to move on to the next set of made up reasons why this will bomb and be horrible.
Emilia Clarke isn't a good actor

So, who is the actor?  You all reference him as being terrible, but never say who it is.  I haven't seen the trailer, so I am at a loss.  Is he in something else maybe people have seen to compare?

TIA
His name is Aden Ehrenreich ( I think that's the right spelling), and the only thing I've seen him in was the Coen brothers movie Hail! Caesar! in which, ironically for this thread, he plays an actor who can't act and needs constant coaching from the director. 

TIA
Don't you think maybe the first thing to do would be watch the trailer before you ask the question?  Maybe you wouldn't be at such a loss then.  HTH.

Most I agree with, except point #1 didn't have anything to do with why I didn't like TLJ much.  
I remember hearing some people complain about it before and I thought it was ridiculous.  I know it's not the majority of people who feel this way.

coyote5 said:
Don't you think maybe the first thing to do would be watch the trailer before you ask the question?  Maybe you wouldn't be at such a loss then.  HTH.
Why?  I never watch trailers.  People here are happy to help.  Not #####.

I feel compelled, given the current amount of adulation being heaped at his feet, that Harrison Ford as Han Solo has to be one of the most overrated performances in cinema history.  Did he do a good job, particularly in ESB?  Yes.  Did he portray the character is such a way as to make the role beyond reproach?  As Shuke would say, "oh come on!"

ESB was definitely a good performance.  ANH was meh, up and down, and has some awkward moments.  ROTJ was pretty doofusy.  TFA was clunky and forced.

There, I said it.

surprised this is coming out before Christmas 2018.

What movies is going to fill that spot? It's a xmas eve family tradition that goes back to the Hobbit movies.

I predict that the movie itself will be good, but the new Han will be so distracting that you can't really be totally immersed.

THIS, so much THIS!

It was ONE story from ONE unnamed source. I can't find a single other story that corroborates that nugget of info. We basically have two scenarios possible here:

1) Marvel/Disney tried out an actor that could not act and decided to cast him in the first of what will be a three billion dollar trilogy as long as he can act, or a one movie bomb if he can't

2) some "reporter" made some #### up for click bait

What's more likely?

Is this the place where people come to tell everyone how everything after A New Hope is raping the childhood of The United States of America?

Holy god that trailer looks like a bucket of dog crap. 

Remember when the Star Trek franchise went and found a talented young actor who nailed Kirk for this next generation of films?  This is the opposite of doing that. 

Eesh. 

By the way, telling that they have their young Solo say like two lines, poorly. Chewie has more dialogue in that thing, and 90% of it is nostalgia shots of the Falcon. 

Predictably brutally bad. 

Users who are viewing this thread