What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Solo: A Star Wars Movie (1 Viewer)

As a fan of The Clone Wars, that cameo at the end was great. I heard the voice and was all, “WTF, they didn’t!”   Yes they did; it will be interesting to see if it’s a throw away or leads somewhere. 
For someone that doesn’t follow anything outside of the movies, he comes back alive after being cut in half by Obi wan?

Last edited by a moderator:
For someone that doesn’t follow anything outside of the clone wars, he comes back alive after being cut in half by Obi wan?

Yes, much like Vader survives Mustafar due to the dark side, so does Maul.  He ends up on a junk planet, makes himself spider legs and loses his mind. His brother finds him and takes him back to dathomir where his witch mother brings his mind back.  He and his brother team up and take over the crime syndicates to build an “army” to take revenge on Sidious.   He also wants to kill Kenobi.  Sidious kicks everyone’s ### and the cards tumble down.  I believe we are now several years past these events.

IMDB's rating slowly rose all night as the first large group of fans that saw the movie started to vote.  It was at a 5.8 mid week and is already up to a 6.9.  This is an excellent sign for those that follow these things.

good news domestically

====================

Disney and Lucasfilm's Solo: A Star Wars Story brought in $14.1 million from Thursday evening previews, topping the previous Memorial Day record of $13.2 million set by Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End, which also holds the Memorial Day four-day weekend record of $139.8 million ($153m including those Thursday previews, which occurred in ~3,100 theaters). This is a strong start for the feature which is hoping to deliver a new Memorial Day weekend record.

Saw it last night and agree with others.  Overall just a fun movie.  It isn’t the original trilogy, but it was pretty darn good.  Would recommend.  Just enough reference to the Star Wars universe, but would have been an enjoyable movie anyway.

@Billy Bats

Yes, much like Vader survives Mustafar due to the dark side, so does Maul.  He ends up on a junk planet, makes himself spider legs and loses his mind. His brother finds him and takes him back to dathomir where his witch mother brings his mind back.  He and his brother team up and take over the crime syndicates to build an “army” to take revenge on Sidious.   He also wants to kill Kenobi.  Sidious kicks everyone’s ### and the cards tumble down.  I believe we are now several years past these events.
and following this storyline further (as was told in the animated "Rebels" series), Obi Wan does wind up killing Maul (for good, this time) on Tatooine when they are both older, but still prior to Luke meeting ObiWan.  Given that this Solo story is probably -- what?  maybe 10 years prior to where Ep4/ANH picks up -- if they are going to follow the previously established timeline then Maul doesn't have too much longer to go, post "Solo".

Went to the mat today at the IMAX. I thought it was great!

2 things stood out to me- finding Clint Howard in a Ron Howard flick is always fun and my notion that it's better to have a wookie than a woman was confirmed.

The fact that the movie debuted last night and this thread is as dead as it is certainly gives credibility to those saying it's "too much Star Wars," which is a shame. 

Hopefully people don't stay away because it was really good. It made me feel like I did the first time I watched Force Awakens...in that it was just fun. After the letdown that was Last Jedi and not knowing what to expect with a young cast trying to recreate the charm of one of the most iconic characters of all time, I didn't go in expecting much, but like Force Awakens, I was smiling for much of the movie. It was great casting and storytelling but was also was able to strike the difficult balance of seriousness, humor, social commentary, and just the right amount of camp. Loved it. 

I can't wait to see it again and will buy it as soon as it is released (which I still have yet to will myself to buy a copy of Last Jedi).  

The fact that the movie debuted last night and this thread is as dead as it is certainly gives credibility to those saying it's "too much Star Wars," which is a shame. 

Hopefully people don't stay away because it was really good. It made me feel like I did the first time I watched Force Awakens...in that it was just fun. After the letdown that was Last Jedi and not knowing what to expect with a young cast trying to recreate the charm of one of the most iconic characters of all time, I didn't go in expecting much, but like Force Awakens, I was smiling for much of the movie. It was great casting and storytelling but was also was able to strike the difficult balance of seriousness, humor, social commentary, and just the right amount of camp. Loved it. 

I can't wait to see it again and will buy it as soon as it is released (which I still have yet to will myself to buy a copy of Last Jedi).  
I don’t think there’s SW overkill. We are now in a holiday weekend and most of us have been thru Black Panther & Infinty War with DP2 and Jurassic Park to come. 

We have lots of :nerd:  movies to watch and discuss. 

Just came back from the theater, and couldn't wait to open up this thread.

I think it's the best Star Wars movie since Empire.  It was fantastic.  I can't believe RT only has a 54% fresh audience rating.

Also, I think they brought in the acting coach to help add nuance to help the familiar characters of Han and Lando remind the audience of the way they were originally portrayed.  Donald Glover was fantastic, in fact I gasped when I heard his opening line.

bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
how is the mother of dragons?
Thought she'd prove to be a terrible actress.  Was pleasantly surprised.  Another reason this one has me.

SWC said:
ron howard should do every other star wars movie ever take that to the bank bromigos 
Yep, and they should be written by Lawrence Kasdan.

It doesn't surprise me at all that the offshoot movies are great and the main storyline ones are bad (Force awakens - mildly bad, Last Jedi - awful).  Rogue One was spectacular and I have high hopes for this one.

Lucas' legacy lives on.
At some point in the future I wouldn't mind Lucas directing one of these.  Just not an important one.  :P

We just got back and well all very much enjoyed it from start to finish.

Solid acting from the main group, good action, a touch of humor and a decent enough story to carry it

unless I missed him, I think this is the first of the 10 with out R2?

Loved the Darth Maul tie in, nice placement for those that enjoy the animated series

I thought Beckett was going to tell Han at the end "that's ok kid, you should always shoot first"

I thought the actor who played Han was fantastic. One of the highlights of the movie which is hysterical considering all the BS leading up to it. He crushed it. 

Overall it was really good. We enjoyed it. I got bored a few times, but that was just me knowing there weren’t really any stakes. 

I kind of want a sequel because I liked the relationship between him and Khaleesi but I don’t know if there is another 2.5 hours worth of movie I need to see. But introducing Maul is probably going to lead to that. 

I would put it firmly as 7th in my personal pantheon after the original trilogy and all the Disney movies and miles ahead of the prequel trilogy. 

I would put it firmly as 7th in my personal pantheon after the original trilogy and all the Disney movies and miles ahead of the prequel trilogy. 
Not a Star Wars thread without rankings, right? ;)

for me it’s tied for 5th with TFA. 

1. Empire

2. New Hope

3. Rogue One

4. Jedi

5. Solo + TFA 

And the prequels...

A note about Maul.

His image was Ray Parks (same actor as in prequels) but he was voiced by Sam Witwer, the voice actor who played him The Clone Wars and Rebels tv series.

Not sure how this movie isnt 100% on RT.  Awesome, fun movie.  Nothing too deep, nothing to wacky or zany that many people feared.  Great back story on a bunch of characters.  My only gripe if you call it that is the way they left it open for a sequel.  I kindof dig the Rogue One finality and nothing left open.

Not a Star Wars thread without rankings, right? ;)

for me it’s tied for 5th with TFA. 

1. Empire

2. New Hope

3. Rogue One

4. Jedi

5. Solo + TFA 

And the prequels...
It’s always fun to do. 

1. Rogue One (delivered on the stakes; left my jaw on the ground)

2. Empire (probably just seen it too many times)

3. New Hope

4. Force Awakens

5. Last Jedi

6. Return of the Jedi 

7. Solo 

8. Revenge of the Sith 

[big drop]

9. Phantom Menance 

10. Attack of the Clones 

Can’t separate the Ewoks from that movie. They’re a huge part of it. If they put something like that in a movie now you hypocrites would crucify it. 

Last Jedi ruled. 
the 80s were a different time.....lucas originally wanted it to be a planet of wookies....like they did in the prequels....

Can’t separate the Ewoks from that movie. They’re a huge part of it. If they put something like that in a movie now you hypocrites would crucify it. 

Last Jedi ruled. 
I think people hate it when they were being silly, but people that do that ignore the other parts in every single movie where some characters are silly.

Overall it was really good. We enjoyed it. I got bored a few times, but that was just me knowing there weren’t really any stakes.
My first impression of this movie was that it was never dangerous. But there was nothing wrong with it honestly, it was a ton of fun to see them complete the Kessel Run, etc.

Not sure what Marvel did differently to convince me of the stakes of Infinity War. Maybe just be a magnitudes better film.

I think people hate it when they were being silly, but people that do that ignore the other parts in every single movie where some characters are silly.
For me it had nothing to do with being silly, I can live with that if it is not over done (like Jar Jar was). 

For me, it had everything to do with the writing that made the Empire look so moronically weak with their armor being crushed by twigs.

the 80s were a different time.....lucas originally wanted it to be a planet of wookies....like they did in the prequels....
The 80s may have been different, but if we’re judging movies it all goes into account. You can’t hate the porgs and jar jar and all the other cute crap while standing up for the Ewok movie. 

Users who are viewing this thread