What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB David Montgomery, DET (2 Viewers)

I got him starting over J.Taylor
TB is the #2 run defense in the NFL, so I dont like him this week. 

After that, however, he has the easiest SOS against run defenses in the NFL, including games down the stretch against DET, HOU, LV, GB and TN 

In non-PPR....definitely don't start him. In PPR, case could be made that TB will go up early and Montgomery might get some garbage passes thrown his way.  Depends on what other options people have but in PPR, he could be a decent FLEX player this week. None PPR, definitely not.

He makes good sharp cuts against the grain but then is soooo sloooooow to reaccelerate. Anyways, he’s good in pass pro and has improved in catching the ball as well. Tonight was his best outcome against a good D. Bunch of dumpoffs for ppr and a short td. Cohen going down really helped him. I’ll take the 19 points any day! 

Buy low time is evaporating, Monty will be a top 15 RB from here till the end of the year, book it! Volume is king in FF and his schedule eases up moving forward.

David Montgomery rushed 10 times for 29 yards and a touchdown in the Bears' Week 5 win over the Bucs, adding seven receptions for 30 additional yards. 

Montgomery's score was a rugged three-yarder in the second quarter, but it was an otherwise forgettable night. Montgomery's limited explosiveness was on display multiple times as he struggled to turn cuts and jukes into extra yardage. Montgomery continues to not show great quicks. He has seen his passing-game usage skyrocket in Tarik Cohen's absence, combining for 13 targets over his past two games, though he hasn't done much with the looks. Despite his lack of competition and locked-in weekly volume, Montgomery is going to have trouble rising above low-end RB2 status. The Panthers are a plus matchup for Week 6.

- Rotoworld

Last edited by a moderator:
In non-PPR....definitely don't start him. In PPR, case could be made that TB will go up early and Montgomery might get some garbage passes thrown his way.  Depends on what other options people have but in PPR, he could be a decent FLEX player this week. None PPR, definitely not.
Called it 😎

I think he is a buy or hold. He has become a rare bell cow RB, not the greatest offense but he just faced 2 of the toughest D's and still produced somewhat. Here is his upcoming schedule with defensive ranking vs run and pass.

6 at Panthers 18 7
7 at Rams 15 8
8 vs Saints 6 13
9 at Titans 29 23
10 vs Vikings 21 29
11 Bye
12 at Packers 8 18
13 vs Lions 27 11
14 vs Texans 29 5
15 at Vikings 21 29
16 at Jaguars 23 24

Bears run blocking is atrocious.  Montgomery isn't elite, but one thing he does very, very well is avoid negative plays. If you watch how often he's hit in the backfield or has no semblance of a hole but still eeks out a yard or two... that really important.  2nd and 8 is far different than 2nd and 12. For this struggling offense,  Monty might actually be a decent fit. 

David Montgomery rushed 19 times for 58 yards in the Bears' Week 6 win over the Panthers, adding four receptions for 39 additional yards. 

This is Montgomery's second-best rushing and receiving total of the season, and he was just a few inches short of converting a touchdown that Nick Foles ultimately plunged in for. He is a volume-based RB2 moving forward and will rely on touchdowns to eclipse that top 12 tier at his position. Montgomery and the Bears face the Rams in Week 7.

Oct 18, 2020, 4:56 PM ET

mbuehner said:
Bears run blocking is atrocious.  Montgomery isn't elite, but one thing he does very, very well is avoid negative plays. If you watch how often he's hit in the backfield or has no semblance of a hole but still eeks out a yard or two... that really important.  2nd and 8 is far different than 2nd and 12. For this struggling offense,  Monty might actually be a decent fit. 
Reading this thread it's funny how people go out of their way to find something positive about Montgomery's game.

This is a fantasy football site, no-one cares that a RB gets stopped for no gain rather than tackled for a loss of two.  After 15 carries you still have no valuable points gained for your team.

The most common excuse for him in this thread is "he makes tacklers" miss, but I've watched him in three straight games now and there is no evidence of this. It doesn't happen. 

What I do see is a guy who dances at the line of scrimmage, and who has no burst when he cuts. In fact, when he plants to cut back, he literally stops, making him a sitting duck for tacklers. The number of times I've seen him spin INTO a defender when he's trying to juke is disturbing. In most of those situations, he would have gained far more yardage just powering away from the defender at the angle he had to begin with. He seems to have very little vision in the open field, or at the line for spotting holes. It's very hard to judge his speed since he never seems to find his top gear (compare with D Henry, say, who often hits the line already going full speed and is fluid in his change of direction).

If I can find anything positive to say, it's that he has better hands than I thought.

Reading this thread it's funny how people go out of their way to find something positive about Montgomery's game.

This is a fantasy football site, no-one cares that a RB gets stopped for no gain rather than tackled for a loss of two.  After 15 carries you still have no valuable points gained for your team.

The most common excuse for him in this thread is "he makes tacklers" miss, but I've watched him in three straight games now and there is no evidence of this. It doesn't happen. 

What I do see is a guy who dances at the line of scrimmage, and who has no burst when he cuts. In fact, when he plants to cut back, he literally stops, making him a sitting duck for tacklers. The number of times I've seen him spin INTO a defender when he's trying to juke is disturbing. In most of those situations, he would have gained far more yardage just powering away from the defender at the angle he had to begin with. He seems to have very little vision in the open field, or at the line for spotting holes. It's very hard to judge his speed since he never seems to find his top gear (compare with D Henry, say, who often hits the line already going full speed and is fluid in his change of direction).

If I can find anything positive to say, it's that he has better hands than I thought.
Re the bolded: It matters to the coaches who decide his playing time which matters to us FF folks. I agree with most of what you’re saying though. He’s not very dynamic but his passing game usage is setting a nice floor. 6-10 points through the air most weeks is really helping.

Re the bolded: It matters to the coaches who decide his playing time which matters to us FF folks. I agree with most of what you’re saying though. He’s not very dynamic but his passing game usage is setting a nice floor. 6-10 points through the air most weeks is really helping.
Exactly. I'm not championing Montgomery, I'm making a point about the situation. Anybody who wants to slam the waiver wire on Lamar Miller ought to take the into consideration (which, for the record, avoiding negative plays has been a strength of his as well). You cant earn fantasy points if you arent on the field, and you wont stay on the field if you dont make the coaches happy.  Nobody is very happy owning Bears running backs this season, and I doubt that will change. But RBs still cost a premium, especially during bye weeks and with injuries mounting. Having an educated guess about what Montgomery means to the Bears coaching staff is important if you're in trouble at RB.

Nobody is saying that Montgomery is an elite talent.  He isn't.  I agree with much of your post.   He's pretty slow to change directions, unlike the elite RBs.  But he does get volume and catches a lot of passes.  Volume does matter so Montgomery should be a weakish RB2, but he's indeed a fantasy starter.

I would be worried about his dynasty value.  If you can get a decent offer for Montgomery I would take it.

On this point, it does matter if you're getting a couple of yards vs no gain vs loss of two.  The difference between 3rd and 6 vs 3rd and 10 vs 3rd and 14 is big.....the conversion rates are about 45%, 30% and 20% for 3rd and 6, 3rd and 10, and 3rd and 14, respectively. So getting those few yards or back to the LOS matters a lot when trying to sustain drives.  I suspect the coaches like that.  And you should like it since your RB's best chance to accumulate points is when the offense can put together long drives.

I have invested in and banged the drum for Montgomery once Cohen went down. Volume is still a major factor along with talent and team/coaching systems when investing in FF players.. I have not seen much of the last few games but earlier in the season I thought he looked good considering the O-line was not doing him any favors. PFF also had him rated pretty high after the first few weeks.

I was certainly expecting more this week after still putting up some numbers vs a few of the toughest D's the last few weeks. Is he really looking as bad as some are claiming? Between the volume and schedule, I still think he will finish in the 10-20 PPR RB range.

I have invested in and banged the drum for Montgomery once Cohen went down. Volume is still a major factor along with talent and team/coaching systems when investing in FF players.. I have not seen much of the last few games but earlier in the season I thought he looked good considering the O-line was not doing him any favors. PFF also had him rated pretty high after the first few weeks.

I was certainly expecting more this week after still putting up some numbers vs a few of the toughest D's the last few weeks. Is he really looking as bad as some are claiming? Between the volume and schedule, I still think he will finish in the 10-20 PPR RB range.
He's done as well as can be expected with how bad the run blocking is. But he's good for 4-5 rec and 30 yards receiving every game, which gives him a solid floor in PPR.

Tempted?

What on earth has Montgomery shown that leads anyone to believe he’ll be a starter in this league in two years?  Someone is still willing to pay a 1st for this guy? Accept that now and thank yourself later.
Bonus:  If the 1st is from the actual team acquiring Montgomery, there’s just as good a chance that Montgomery hurts his record this year as helps it.  

Currently rebuilding and been offered a 2022 1st, I’m tempted.
I think it comes down to if you are rebuilding or not competing this year he is a sell. If you are looking to win this year, he is a buy with him being a rare bell cow RB and a great schedule moving forward.

I think it comes down to if you are rebuilding or not competing this year he is a sell. If you are looking to win this year, he is a buy with him being a rare bell cow RB and a great schedule moving forward.
That he never takes advantage of.

Sorry, he has had plenty of time to show his stuff in the NFL. He is just not a decisive runner.

David Montgomery rushed 14 times for 48 yards in the Bears' Week 7 loss to the Rams.

He caught all five of his targets in the pass game for 21 yards. Montgomery continues to see RB1 usage on an elite snap rate, but the dude has the movement skills of a busted refrigerator and can't make defenders miss or break tackles. Relatively speaking, he's a terrible athlete at the position. Montgomery will continue to see a consistent 15-20 weekly touches, but he's as inefficient as anyone and has just two touchdowns on the year. Montgomery will be an RB2 next week against the Saints.

Oct 26, 2020, 11:32 PM ET

Tempted?

What on earth has Montgomery shown that leads anyone to believe he’ll be a starter in this league in two years?  Someone is still willing to pay a 1st for this guy? Accept that now and thank yourself later.
This. I am not rooting against him and hope he succeeds. But so far it doesn't look promising. D. Singletary is the other RB that I just don't get the hype. You could swap in any journeyman RB vet and get the same results.

He does break tackles though or evade them or whatever at least according to the sites that chart that thing. Problem is he has no acceleration so the next guy or the guy after that tackles him and he gets 2 yards for his trouble. And his line sucks. Like on his carry I think inside the 5, Aaron Donald is there hulking in the backfield as soon as he gets the ball. Nifty little spin to avoid Donald was pretty impressive but then he doesn’t have the ability to reaccelerate or the line to create a nice hole. Next guy tackles him. I’m good with what he’s doing in redraft for where I got him but he’s an obvious sell sell sell in dynasty IMO.

That whole offense is a mess. Oline, QB, Nagy. I don’t see Montgomery as the problem. He’s not Sequon so he isn’t the solution either. 

Bears RB David Montgomery has run the third most pass routes this season. 

Montgomery, doing next to nothing with massive usage in the Chicago offense, has seen his pass game involvement spike since Tarik Cohen went down with a season-ending ACL injury. Only Ezekiel Elliott and David Johnson have run more routes than Montgomery through Week 8. With the sixth most targets and the fifth most receptions among running backs, Montgomery will continue to have a decent PPR floor, even if ceiling games remain a fantasy for those who drafted the second-year back. 

Nov 3, 2020, 10:54 AM ET

That whole offense is a mess. Oline, QB, Nagy. I don’t see Montgomery as the problem. He’s not Sequon so he isn’t the solution either. 
Yeah, the other 3 issues are much more important. He would do well with good blocking and qb play and smart coach.

Hurting at RB and just made a trade for Montgomery. Not all warm and fuzzy, but he does get volume. Any upside to look forward too?

Gave up Goedert (have Andrews :p) for Monty. 

Need him to come off of concussion protocol. MNF is nice, but also nice to know if he plays. Sure does have a sweet schedule ROS.

Hurting at RB and just made a trade for Montgomery. Not all warm and fuzzy, but he does get volume. Any upside to look forward too?

Need him to come off of concussion protocol. MNF is nice, but also nice to know if he plays. Sure does have a sweet schedule ROS.

EDIT: sorry for the dupe

Last edited by a moderator:

Upside?  I think Montgomery is the opposite of upside.  He's getting volume, but he doesn't do anything with it.  He'll get what's blocked (or not blocked), but he's not going to magically break off big plays based on what he's shown to date and the Bears offense isn't good enough to hold out much hope for multi-touchdown games.  You just hope that he continues to get 20 touches and can jam in a TD here or there to get you 10-15 points each week.

I've never seen a RB with his pedigree (3rd round pick) do less with more like he has. He's the 2019 version of Kallen Ballage, but Montgomery averages a extra YPC. It's nuts...

He has indeed gotten volume, and you hope for a TD. Thankfully he doesn't have much competition so they have to leave him out there.

I've never seen a RB with his pedigree (3rd round pick) do less with more like he has. He's the 2019 version of Kallen Ballage, but Montgomery averages a extra YPC. It's nuts...
In his defense, the Bears o-line is awful. He's been hit in the backfield more than any RB in the NFL. Watching the games, Montgomery is playing well. He's been one of the top-10 players on the Bears roster.

I've seen Montgomery dropped in some leagues, and that feels like an overreaction, but yeah, the results haven't been encouraging. He has an amazing schedule, and no threats to his workload, so he's still got some RB2 potential, but boy he's been a nightmare for production.

In his defense, the Bears o-line is awful. He's been hit in the backfield more than any RB in the NFL. Watching the games, Montgomery is playing well. He's been one of the top-10 players on the Bears roster.

I've seen Montgomery dropped in some leagues, and that feels like an overreaction, but yeah, the results haven't been encouraging. He has an amazing schedule, and no threats to his workload, so he's still got some RB2 potential, but boy he's been a nightmare for production.
Kinda agree. I invested in Monty and have been frustrated for the most part. Considering the O line is a disaster and Nagy is clueless, I bought into the volume and improved schedule, has not worked out. We all know he is not going to be a true stud RB but was really hoping for more at this stage. 

Being in Detroit and disgusted with what Patricia has brought to the Lions, the Bears play calling and scheme seems to be much worse.

Bottom line- systems, schemes, coaching, O-line, QB, and play calling all matter and the Bears are atrocious at every one of these, how do you even judge Montgomery considering?

Kinda agree. I invested in Monty and have been frustrated for the most part. Considering the O line is a disaster and Nagy is clueless, I bought into the volume and improved schedule, has not worked out. We all know he is not going to be a true stud RB but was really hoping for more at this stage. 

Being in Detroit and disgusted with what Patricia has brought to the Lions, the Bears play calling and scheme seems to be much worse.

Bottom line- systems, schemes, coaching, O-line, QB, and play calling all matter and the Bears are atrocious at every one of these, how do you even judge Montgomery considering?
Montgomery does lead all RB's in broken tackles, and a large percentage of those are behind the LOS. Its tough to judge his upside(NFL-wise) with nothing around him. 

Bears schedule is still the easiest in the league going forward. I'd still like Montgomery as an RB3. Last week was his only real awful game. He's been useable every other week, just no real blowups yet. Its fair to question whether they will happen at any point, but with the state of the RB position, he's a top-25 RB more often than not just off volume.

David Montgomery (concussion) remained sidelined for Friday's practice.

Montgomery has an additional 24 hours to clear the league's protocol ahead of Monday night, but multiple DNPs to start the week aren't encouraging. Cordarrelle Patterson and Ryan Nall would presumably handle a majority of the team's backfield touches unless Lamar Miller is promoted from the practice squad Saturday. If Montgomery sits, Nall would be the most intriguing replacement as a low-floor FLEX given his guaranteed receiving-game role.

SOURCE: Jeff Dickerson on Twitter

Nov 13, 2020, 4:38 PM ET

David Montgomery (concussion) won't play in Week 10 against the Vikings.

Cordarrelle Patterson and Ryan Nall are expected to handle a majority of the team's backfield touches in Montgomery's stead. Coach Matt Nagy also said there's a terrific chance Lamar Miller is promoted from the practice squad Saturday afternoon. Nall is the most intriguing option among that group for his role in the receiving game, but Miller would likely lead both in carries. None offer anything of substance outside of being low-end FLEXes for desperate fantasy players.

RELATED: 

Cordarrelle Patterson

, Ryan Nall

SOURCE: Dan Wiederer on Twitter

Nov 14, 2020, 2:24 PM ET

Anybody buying low on this guy?

CHI has a bye week and that offense looks like it's hit rock bottom. However, if you're in good shape for the playoffs weeks 14-16 has CHI facing HOU, @MN, @JAX.

I'm looking for reinforcements for my two flex positions in a PPR league. Considering this guy is borderline droppable potentially I wouldn't be giving much.

Anybody buying low on this guy?

CHI has a bye week and that offense looks like it's hit rock bottom. However, if you're in good shape for the playoffs weeks 14-16 has CHI facing HOU, @MN, @JAX.

I'm looking for reinforcements for my two flex positions in a PPR league. Considering this guy is borderline droppable potentially I wouldn't be giving much.
I could see him being an RB2 down the stretch. I think he'd be better(frankly the Bears as a team likely would be) if Trubisky is starting. Montgomery is one of the few RBs in the NFL who is a 3-down RB. 

I doubt he'd cost much. I've seen him cut in some leagues. Maybe the bye week allows the offense to fix some things and get healthier. 

Users who are viewing this thread