What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB David Montgomery, DET (1 Viewer)

Chris Emma @CEmma670

Matt Nagy said of David Montgomery: "He runs hard. He runs really, really hard. He runs violent. He's angry when he runs and he's tough to bring down with that first defender. We like that."

Just bought him! Paid ton, but wanted to have him. He's looking really good, I'm thinking a future Bears kind of good. 

This dude is gonna be a beast in the endzone. Whatever his touchdown O/U is, I will bet the over
on the TD run he had a nice burst acceleration to get outside after the inside was caved in.... wasnt his biggest knock he lacked top end speed?

Last edited by a moderator:
on the TD run he had a nice burst acceleration to get outside after the inside was caved in.... wasnt his biggest knock he lacked top end speed?
Yes, speed and burst were weaknesses on film and in his combine. However, he looked like he has juice yesterday. What level was he playing against? 2nd stringers? 3rd? He definitely got my attention though.

he still doesn't have very impressive speed or acceleration, but he has just enough for him to succeed in the NFL imo. The thing is, besides the breaking tackles/arm tackles etc, he is just so elusive. He's really good at avoiding direct hits and he has pretty good change of direction too.

edit: not to mention his toughness, physicality, and vision are off the charts. Great size too.

Nice cut, good vision. I didn't see burst though.

Nice cut, good vision. I didn't see burst though.
One cut decisive runners will almost always gain positive yards. He has power to churn a few more.

Not gonna run through the second level for long gainers like Hunt did as a rookie but he’s a serious upgrade from Howard IMO.

One cut decisive runners will almost always gain positive yards. He has power to churn a few more.

Not gonna run through the second level for long gainers like Hunt did as a rookie but he’s a serious upgrade from Howard IMO.
I can agree with this. Knowing where to go and quickly figuring it out means more than anything. Give him credit for that, and beating the LB to the pylon.

Just watched the game, impressed by Montgomery. Sick moves with a knack for the cut back. 

Without seeing much of Davis, it's still a little hard to know exactly how this all works out. Except we've already seen Davis and know he's just decent. Montgomery might be awesome. 

I have tempered high hopes both as a Bears fan and a dynasty and redraft owner. No there is no such thing as tempered high hopes but I'm doing it anyway.

he’s a serious upgrade from Howard IMO.
he's a better version of Howard in every facet of the game that's visible so far. i was rooting for howard going into last year. The little i seen so far of montgomery, it's the guy i had hoped howard could become after the positive '16 and '17 seasons. lots to like in a rook in a dynamic offense.

Yes, speed and burst were weaknesses on film and in his combine. However, he looked like he has juice yesterday. What level was he playing against? 2nd stringers? 3rd? He definitely got my attention though.
Speed and Burst were his weakness? 

Tex

Wow. That’s awesome and good to know. I have the 1.01 and he’s now in the mix for who I take. It’s going to be very dependent on landing spot this year for me. Where do you see good and bad spots for him? Or do you think he’s landing spot proof?
What did you decide?

Tex

Yahoo Sports' Terez Paylor reports the Bears are "in love" with rookie RB David Montgomery.

Paylor believes Montgomery "will help this team immediately" with his receiving skills and his ability to break tackles. The Bears wouldn't have traded up for Montgomery if they didn't think he'd play right away, but it's worth noting who he'd be taking touches from. Tarik Cohen has proven to be a plus-pass catcher and Mike Davis was effective on a decent-sized workload last year. For Montgomery to pay off his ADP, he'll need to lead this backfield touches by a decent margin. It sounds like the Bears hope that happens.

SOURCE: Terez Pryor on Twitter

Aug 20, 2019, 10:22 AM ET

Not a lot of love for Montgomery on this forum.

Maybe there should be. This is from today:

“10th-best fantasy running back in the entire NFL”

https://670thescore.radio.com/bernstein-huge-vote-confidence-bears-david-montgomery-breakout

(670 The Score) We may not be seeing much of rookie running back David Montgomery in the Bears' preseason slate, but one expert has already witnessed enough to be supremely confident that the third-round pick is the next big thing at the position.

Listen to your team news NOW.

Paul Charchian of Fanball and KFAN in Minneapolis joined the Bernstein & McKnight Show on 670 The Score on Tuesday, and he was effusive in his projections of Montgomery's immediate success, already ranking him as the 10th-best fantasy running back in the entire NFL before he has even played a down of professional football.

"I love David Montgomery," Charchian said. "There's a chance Montgomery is so good, he simply creates a mandate to be used in almost all situations -- as a between-the-tackles runner, as an outside runner, as a goal-line runner and as a pass catcher. He's got really good hands. I think Montgomery is so far better than all the other alternatives a running back, and he can do so many things, that sooner or later you put the best guys on the field at the most important positions and it's going to be Montgomery most of the time. And because of that, I've got Montgomery way up at No. 10."

Whoa.  

But it's not crazy to expect such a breakout to happen, as recent history portends rookie success. Being physically fresh and youthfully spry can mean big production in the right spot at the right time. The Giants' Saquon Barkley was second in the NFL in rushing yards in 2018, and the Chiefs' Kareem Hunt led the league as a rookie in 2017 after another rookie, Ezekiel Elliot, did the same with the Cowboys the year before. Hunt was also a third-rounder and working in the same offense into which Montgomery currently steps. 

To hear Charchian tell it, the fit is just about ideal for fantasy players -- and not just due to that side of the ball.

"I really, really believe that he is going to far outpace every other rookie in production, and it is the kind of guy you can just go to war with every week," Charchian said. "David Montgomery -- a special back in an emerging offense. And the defense is so good, you never have to worry about a second-half situation where the Bears are down by 21 and they're not running the ball. Everything is set for success for Montgomery. I'm convinced it all translates. He's so much better than Jordan Howard, so give him those 280 touches and he'll more than live up to the top-10 billing."

There's a reason why Montgomery feels like something more than just a typical second-day selection, and part of it was that he was the Bears' first pick of the 2019 draft. It now also may be due to the fact that if some people are right, he's setting up to be a star from the moment the lights go on for real.

Not a lot of love for Montgomery on this forum.

Maybe there should be. This is from today:

“10th-best fantasy running back in the entire NFL”

https://670thescore.radio.com/bernstein-huge-vote-confidence-bears-david-montgomery-breakout
Interesting article and thanks for posting...but the thing these articles never do is make a compelling case for who a guy like Montgomery is going to displace on his way to #10.

It's a zero-sum game...so Montgomery would have to leapfrog even more proven options in the ADP 10-20 range such as Cook, Kerryon, Fournette, Freeman, etc. Even Josh Jacobs.

PhantomJB said:
Interesting article and thanks for posting...but the thing these articles never do is make a compelling case for who a guy like Montgomery is going to displace on his way to #10.

It's a zero-sum game...so Montgomery would have to leapfrog even more proven options in the ADP 10-20 range such as Cook, Kerryon, Fournette, Freeman, etc. Even Josh Jacobs.
Oh I know - and yet that seems to happen every year due to injury or ineffectiveness. 

I like Montgomery’s situation a lot. I happily made him my RB2 at 5.08

Faust said:
I read that yesterday - super exciting player. Watching his highlights he’s got that “make you miss” wiggle, and he breaks tackles left & right. The power is eye popping as well. He dragged several defenders 6-7 yards like it was cool. I love those kinds of players. He’s also reportedly got great hands and looks a little like KHunt as a receiver - very fluid. 

The only knock is lack of a 4th gear - he’s not likely to hit many home runs as he just doesn’t have top end sprinters speed.

my bears homer friend just sent me this:

Since we began tracking college players in 2014, only twice has a RB eclipsed 100 missed tackles forced in a single season. 

Both times it was by David Montgomery, in 2017 (109) and 2018 (102)
that’s the sort of metric that directly translates to NFL success. 

• Smile
Reactions: -X-
Twenty-Four Eighty-Four said:
I'm grabbing this guy in the 3rd round when I can. He's going to be great! (Redraft)
Very end of the 3rd I’d say is a reach but if the turn needs 2 RBs, maybe. Depends who’s off the board & your scoring.

i got him 5.08 on Sunday in a 12-team. 

He’s gonna be a beast. 

Mike Davis was arguably contingency plan in case they missed in the draft. He was eclipsed by Penny & Carson, and reportedly Montgomery blows him away. 

Bears are talking about a reduced role for Cohen, too.

montgomery could be a feature back out of the gate. 

Arthur Arkush @ArthurArkush

Eddie Jackson on #Bears top pick Montgomery: He's a dog. He's a gamer. To see how he come out here & compete against us, our defense, it just shows that he's something special. He's one of those X-factors we have on offense. ... We're really expecting a lot from him as young guy

Took him at 4.07 in a big redraft this weekend. I love that the Bears kept him under wraps in the preseason. I feel like most casual fans don't even know who he is and assume he will just be a part time back up. I may get him very cheap in my big auction this weekend.

Especially for those going WR-heavy or investing in Mahomes or Kelce. 

Just an absolute steal in the 5th if things break right with his role. 
I took him at 1.06 so yes I need Montgomery to pan out. I somehow managed to take OBJ at 2.07 and then Henry at 3.06. Passing TDs are worth 6 in this league and most years the top QBs go very early. I decided that I wanted Mahomes in at least one of my bigger leagues this year.

Looking to nab him in the 5th or 6th of an IDP league this weekend where I think he’ll be there.  So much potential.  Hoe to jump on the bandwagon. 

Are folks comfortable starting him week 1?  I think the kid has great potential and by the end of the season could be the real deal, but I have concerns of what the first month of the season could look like from a work load perspective.  I would love to get him in the 7th and not have to start him week 1.  The 5th just seems to high.

Are folks comfortable starting him week 1?  I think the kid has great potential and by the end of the season could be the real deal, but I have concerns of what the first month of the season could look like from a work load perspective.  I would love to get him in the 7th and not have to start him week 1.  The 5th just seems to high.
Bears fan here. You start him straight away. He's the lead dog now. Getting the starting rb from a top 10 team with the best defense in the league in the 5th round is a steal. 

Bears have a tough season schedule but since my other top backs are Kerryon and Cook I’m in for the pains and gains! 

I traded down from Jacobs to Montgomery (1 spot in our draft) because I love him! ❤️❤️❤️

Had to grab him at 4.2.......the only backs remaining were Ingram, Mack, White, Lindsey, Guice, Ekler and Drake

Really had no choice that I was comfortable with, guy probably will make or break my RB situation
Feels like the 4th round will be the price this weekend rather than the 5th.  Nice work.

100% comfortable. 

Well, Heath Cummings just did all y’all who haven’t drafted yet a huge favor & listed Montgomery as a “bust” in his “12 to avoid” column.

surprised he hasn’t read recent reports. 

He’s also not familiar with recent ADP apparently, since Montgomery has been going in the 5th/6th. 

Again, I don't want this to come off like I dislike Montgomery. He's my No. 1 player in Dynasty. I like him more longterm than Josh Jacobs. But I still expect Tarik Cohen to be heavily involved in the passing game and I'm afraid Mike Davis touches the ball 4-8 times per game. If there are 15 running back touches per week that Montgomery doesn't have access to, he's going to have to score a bunch of touchdowns just to justify his draft cost. I'm afraid the Bears are leaning towards the Philadelphia approach at running back this year, and I'm not comfortable spending a fourth-round pick on this backfield.
I think he’s a little misguided. Davis couldn’t beat out Penny for touches, and Penny is super mediocre. 

Cohen is absolutely going to get touches,  but I’m skeptical it’ll be at Montgomery’s expense. More likely one could attribute Cohen’s touches to “fewer targets to Burton or WRs”. 

And with Miller seemingly always hurt, I’d expect there to be plenty of targets. Plus with that defense, there should be more than enough carries to compensate.

Heath just helped those in CBS leagues steal Monty a full round later.

;)  

How comfortable are we that Montgomery will make it to 5.01?   

In a two keeper (Kamara and Conner) league that I won last year.  3rd round is the is the first round of draft.  

I only have one pick at the 3.12/4.01 turn because I made a trade last year that helped me win my league.  

I got 5.01 back.  

S

I WANT this beast on my team.  Especially in a keeper league.  I’m not afraid to go RB again at the 3:12 turn.  The wideouts there are whatever.  But I would take a WR if I knew I’d get the Full Monty at 5:01.  

My gut says he won’t be there.  

Thoughts?

TIA 

Had to grab him at 4.2.......the only backs remaining were Ingram, Mack, White, Lindsey, Guice, Ekler and Drake

Really had no choice that I was comfortable with, guy probably will make or break my RB situation
hilarious...came in here to post the same thing.

I had no intention of drafting him...but he was the last of the RBs I liked at that spot (I heard grumbles and snickers as I made the pick) .

He'll be my RB 2/3...im happy with it 🤷‍♂️

How comfortable are we that Montgomery will make it to 5.01?   

In a two keeper (Kamara and Conner) league that I won last year.  3rd round is the is the first round of draft.  

I only have one pick at the 3.12/4.01 turn because I made a trade last year that helped me win my league.  

I got 5.01 back.  

S

I WANT this beast on my team.  Especially in a keeper league.  I’m not afraid to go RB again at the 3:12 turn.  The wideouts there are whatever.  But I would take a WR if I knew I’d get the Full Monty at 5:01.  

My gut says he won’t be there.  

Thoughts?

TIA 
The good news is that you only need him to make it to 4.12.

;)  

the later you draft, the less likely it’ll be IMO. Secret is starting to get out. 

Depending what’s there at 3.12 & what your team needs, he’s not a bad pick, just not the extreme value of 4.12/5.01

risk/reward. 

The good news is that you only need him to make it to 4.12.

;)  

the later you draft, the less likely it’ll be IMO. Secret is starting to get out. 

Depending what’s there at 3.12 & what your team needs, he’s not a bad pick, just not the extreme value of 4.12/5.01

risk/reward. 
gone at 3.08

I'm devastated :(

It sounds like he has 5.01, but not 4.12.

I took him at pick 47 (4.11) last night, I was told he would not have made it back to me at 5.02.
Ah - yeah - re-reading that I get that now.

man that’s tough. There are players at 3.12 I like a lot. So much easier when the guy you’re targeting us is clearly better (in your estimation) than other choices of similar ADP. So in the 4th Monty is an easy call. In the 5th it’s a no-brainer. 

At the end of the 3rd you have to weigh him against other solid players. So I think team needs play into that decision more heavily than just player eval. 

Users who are viewing this thread