What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

In this thread I rank my favorite Beatles songs: 204-1. (8 Viewers)

Composite Ranking #126 - Anna
Highest Ranked by:  #18 by @ManOfSteelhead (his 3rd also)
#Of Lists: 1
Total Points: 8
Top10: 0
#1: 0
#2: 0
Krista Rank -175

I'm not linking this song. One of the few that's an auto skip for me.

Getzlaf15 said:
Composite Ranking #126 - Anna
Highest Ranked by:  #18 by @ManOfSteelhead (his 3rd also)
Total Points: 8
Krista Rank -175

I'm not linking this song. One of the few that's an auto skip for me.
I revisited Arthur Alexander's stuff during this thread. Man, did THAT dude get lost to history. He had some great tunes and could saaaang, y'all.

Once again, thanks so much for this thread krista. Wish I could have followed along from the beginning, but it's been great catching up with the thread, and listening to the Beatles channel on SiruisXM and coming back here to check everyone's thoughts on each song. Also thanks for providing the impetus to listen to music more. I spend a lot of my time on my too short commute listening to podcasts and have always said I don't have enough time for music. At home, my wife and I spend time on our computers while we have some innocuous television show on in the background. Well, I have begun to replace that with music, and this thread was an inspiration for that. Thanks as well to the many contributions from different folks here, like Nipsey's singing, fatguy's teeth, wikkid's somewhat indecipherable but always compelling stories, and several heartfelt posts from many of the fine members of the FFA. This thread has been a breath of fresh air, and for that I thank you. 

Last edited by a moderator:
166.  Flying (Magical Mystery Tour, 1967)

Beatles version:  Spotify  YouTube

Since this is my third attempt at a write-up, I'll keep it short.

I know a lot of people don't appreciate this one, but I find it soothing and could listen to it for hours.  So suck it.

Fun fact:  first song to be credited to all four of the lads.

Mr. krista:  "“[10 seconds in] I like this a million times better [than Fool on the Hill].  I like this one.  I like that song.  I wish it were 20 minutes long.  I like it’s all spacey and surfy in the beginning, like Shadowy Men, like a really extended theme song to a great comedy sketch show.  I like the lalalalalas.  It’s clear it’s transitional music to get from one part of the thing to the other part, but for what it is, it’s great.  It’s excellent sorbet after the ##### sandwich that is Fool on the Hill.”"

Suggested covers:  OMG here it is with Chet Baker on flugelhorn!  But I actually enjoy this one more, though it might be the cover pic of Mr. Rourke(?) and the "zee plane, zee plane" guy that gets me over the finish.
All righty, I am working on my Flying commentary, so I went back to this post to start my research. 

Now, I have hit a snag, K. 🤨

On the cover, eh...the Mr. Rouke cover, is that Fred Rogers teachin' in the background? 🤔

If so, then.. Wow! 🙀

You guys bungled this call even worse than I originally thought. 😱

Fred F'n Rogers! 🤘

So Suck it! 🙂

Getzlaf15 said:
Composite Ranking #141 - Flying
Highest Ranked by: #25 by @Man of Constant Sorrow
Total Points: 1
Krista Rank -166
Flying

This song has me from the very first note. I mean that literally.

As soon as I feel the first, I'm flying...

Ellipses. What a wonderfully versatile punctuation. I love em...and often abuse em. 

Flying is the perfect ellipsis. 

As Mr. K excellently notes:

"It's clear it’s transitional music to get from one part of the thing to the other part, but for what it is, it’s great."

However, I submit that it is not merely great, but rather sublimely supreme in what it does. 

1)Walking 

I'm guessing that most here have seen Saturday Night Fever, or at least the part when Travolta walks along the street to Staying Alive. 

Well, scratch that Staying Alive and start Flying instead. It has the perfect gait inducing beat, that will transform your 20-something strut into a laid back shuffle worthy of the Dude. Do the ladies now flail themselves at me?

No...but one will occasionally trip in my wake now...big step up! 👍

2) Dealing with a persistent pest

Ever experience the frustration of debating something...like maybe Beatles tunes... and coming head-to-head with the loudest jackhammer in the place? 

That don't happen here, obviously... 

But, if it did, Flying is the perfect solution. 

Post it. 

LA LA LA lala... 

BAM! There's your easy win button, mi amigo. 

CYA jackhammer - you can't reach me! 👋

3) Bathrooming

Anyone who has reached a certain age has come to know the true importance of this room. Flying provides a multifaceted envelope that caters to most all aspects of this special experience. 

As outlined in the Walking section, you begin your procession with the perfect laid back gait...something that says - I'm in no rush. 

Control. It's all bout control. 

And once your throned, the la la la lala's take you on their magical mystery tour to toliet nirvana. 

Highly recommended. 🙂

4) Karaoke

Let's face it...we all ain't a bunch a @Nipsey 's and @fatguyinalittlecoat 's. Some of us less blessed in the vocalin' need to stop butchering  tunes that make us look worse than the fool on the hill. 🥴

Time for Flying! 

Not only are the lyrics easy to remember - it only took me a few hours - but it can encourage a sing-a-long that strategically masks my own wailings. Brilliant. 😌

Plus, if there is a jackhammer in the joint, you can flip him the bird as everyone sings la la la lala to him. 

5) Playlist transition 

As I compiled my 25, I did all the work on Spotify. As all here know, cutting down to 25 is not easy. 

My first cut had 83 songs. Over the next few days, I gradually moved some over to my 25 list. When I had 24 locked in, I scanned what was left of my original 83. Not a single one could seemingly make an argument that it was better than the others. 

Hmmm. 

Then I looked deeper into Flying. It was on my list. And I remembered my good friend ellipsis... 

Wikipedia:

"An ellipsis (plural ellipses; from the Ancient Greek: ἔλλειψις, élleipsis, 'omission' or 'falling short') is a series of dots (typically three, such as "…") that usually indicates an intentional omission of a word, sentence, or whole section from a text without altering its original meaning.[1]"

Flying 

That was it! 

It was the perfect 3 dots to place at #25, because it encapsulated all the rest that nearly made my list...only to fall short...omitted. 

Flying, as Mr. K describes, transitions to my other equally loved tunes that couldn't make my 25. 

So, that's it. Nothing profound, but I do loves Flying

(Oh, I gotta give bonus points for the fact that it played to outtakes from Stanley Kubrick's Dr Strangelove. One of my favs movies of all time. But that's another thread.)

Finally, to all you jackhammers out there that don't agree... 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?

LA LA LA lala... 🙂

The first Composite Top 10 list has been sent in.  Win $100 for the charity of your choice.  PM me what you think the Top 10 will be in order.

In two hours, I have a 4 hour time slot for floortime at our office. Which basically means I twiddle my thumbs for four hours.   It will now be Brunch with the Beatles as I'll be posting a lot of composite songs and blasting the Beatles in our showroom. 

Composite Ranking #116 -Sun King
Highest Ranked by: #15 by @neal cassady
Total Points: 11
#1: 0 #2:
Krista Rank - Medley Song.    This is the first of five Medley Songs FBG's ranked individually

Also the first of six songs to be ranked #15 by just one FBG.

Sun KIng

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread