What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL passes new rule to challenge/review pass interference (1 Viewer)

Do you support this new rule change?

• Yes

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • No

Votes: 27 55.1%
  • I'm not sure

Votes: 8 16.3%

• Total voters
odds are there will be several unwritten rules implemented by the booth/officiating crew about what to buzz down about and what not too....including hail mary's and such......thats why the coaches need to be able to challenge.in the last two minutes.....

Same as now -- and of course the ref doesn't and wouldn't address the crowd. As it stands now, it's totally acceptable for an on-field ref to miss those calls in real time, isn't it? Why do on-field real-time refs get the benefit of "no calls missed for the better", to borrow Dr. Octopus's term, but replay refs don't?
if the goal is to get it right.....the booth ref should buzz down if he possibly sees something.....right?....so the game is not over....at that point every little thing is fair game......and the ref most certainly will have to make an announcement once a decision has been made......

on a hail mary its going to look like an episode of Key and Peele......hail mary goes up....ball hits ground.....but everyone completely stops before celebrating and stares at the white hat for 15 seconds to see if he gets "buzzzzed"....then all hell breaks lose....

This is going to open a new can of worms. The games will be on at 1pm and 5 pm now.

What is they are reviewing a PI call and see that the DB or WR grabbed the facemask during the play?

Last edited by a moderator:
there are going to be so many problems with this.....

mostly because there will be no perfect way to implement it....and then as soon as a team loses because it isn't implemented properly and do what it is designed to do (get the call right)......it will be slammed on even more....."why do we have it if it doesn't work"....all of the "why didn't the booth buzz down" questions....

is DPI reviewable if the ball goes to a different receiver....?

Mahomes...first read....would have thrown to Kelce but he was being held (but it wasn't called)....so he throws to Watkins and its incomplete?

can you review Kelce being held?...

I haven't read the new rule....but does it include "defensive holding" as well as "defensive pass interference"....or is only DPI reviewable...does ball have to be in the air before this takes affect...?

is DPI reviewable if the ball goes to a different receiver....?

Mahomes...first read....would have thrown to Kelce but he was being held (but it wasn't called)....so he throws to Watkins and its incomplete?

can you review Kelce being held?...
No. But so what?

How does the CFL do this and not have a ton of issues?

That's exactly what it's going to wind up doing. See also: MLB reviewing bang-bang calls on the basepaths, leading to ... a flood of runners being called out because they beat the throw by 20 feet but got pulled a quarter-inch off the bag during the slide. 

Once you start introducing frame-by-frame replays of bang-bang calls, common sense goes right out the window.

IMHO, this can be prevented.
How?  They are not going to completely re-write the PI rule and anytime you have a ball up for grabs there is PI.  Once you go to the video review you will be able to slow down the video to the point that there is always PI.  You then leave the interpretation up to individuals that have their own thoughts of what is "allowed" and what is not.  The rule is written as black and white and once you go to video review you cannot go back on that for the intent.

One of the things I hate most about baseball review is exactly what Mr. Irrelevant mentioned.  A guy slides into the bag and beats the tag but in super slow mo the runner physically cannot stay in contact with the bag even though he met the intent by beating the tag.  He is called out.  It is bad for the game.

I think there were ways they could have gone to avoid the egregious missed call but this was not it.   

"Possibly sees something"? As in "not apparent in real time"? No, then the ref should not buzz down.
kinda what I am getting at...."I think there might be something there"....or whatever......however you want to say it....

if the replay guy is only supposed to buzz when he thinks there "for sure" was interference....then why even review?....just have them buzz the white hat and have him say...."review ref just threw a flag on that play, we have DPI at spot of foul"....no need to actual go through the process of "reviewing it".....

Why is "perfection" the metric? On-field refs aren't nearly held to that standard.
actually they are....they just don't ever meet it and never willl....refs are actually supposed to be perfect if you think about it....its actually a saying that we have...I say we because I do actually ref...

"our job is one of the only ones where you are expected to be perfect and then get better"....

How?  They are not going to completely re-write the PI rule and anytime you have a ball up for grabs there is PI.  Once you go to the video review you will be able to slow down the video to the point that there is always PI.  You then leave the interpretation up to individuals that have their own thoughts of what is "allowed" and what is not.  The rule is written as black and white and once you go to video review you cannot go back on that for the intent.

One of the things I hate most about baseball review is exactly what Mr. Irrelevant mentioned.  A guy slides into the bag and beats the tag but in super slow mo the runner physically cannot stay in contact with the bag even though he met the intent by beating the tag.  He is called out.  It is bad for the game.

I think there were ways they could have gone to avoid the egregious missed call but this was not it.   
see I don't agree with this....you need to adjust your slide to be able to stay on the bag.....and if that "adjustment" slows you down....maybe you don't beat the tag and you are out....it's not the defenses fault you slid in like a bat out hell....

All "under review" means (I expect) is that someone in a booth looks at the play on a monitor in the intervening 5-to-30 seconds after a ref blows the previous play dead. I don't think "under review" means every pass play gets treated like a coach's challenge, where play is stopped and a ref goes under the hood.
But at the end of games in a hurry up mode prior to this any play that is questioned is buzzed down for the on field ref to review.  SInce all possible PI calls are reviewable then he should be buzzed on 95% of the pass plays.  This will have to happen because the offense is in hurry up and that is the only way to stop play.  I just don't see how you can differentiate based on the way the rule is written. 

I know you have said to let ticky tack stuff go (even though by rule that is PI one way or the other) but who decides its just ticky tack or not.  Every booth guy will have a different opinion (just like they have now).  Subjective calls are too difficult to regulate in this manner.  This is my issue.  Rather than have a replay review there ought to just be an official or two in the booth with the ability to make calls in real time.  No review.  They are part of the crew and makes calls.  This will solve the missed egregious calls that prompted this rule change without bogging things down for video review (that can be slowed down to make it look like anything you want it to). 

see I don't agree with this....you need to adjust your slide to be able to stay on the bag.....and if that "adjustment" slows you down....maybe you don't beat the tag and you are out....it's not the defenses fault you slid in like a bat out hell....
If every base was like the plate I would agree with you.  However, a raised base that causes you to "bump" off because of physics is just wrong to me.  The runner didn't do anything incorrectly in my opinion.  Physics just doesn't allow you to stick to the base for .0001 seconds.  You met the intent of the rule by beating the tag and something beyond your physical control because of the raised nature of the base shouldn't be cause for the out.  I get both sides.  I just don't think this case should be an out. 

If every base was like the plate I would agree with you.  However, a raised base that causes you to "bump" off because of physics is just wrong to me.  The runner didn't do anything incorrectly in my opinion.  Physics just doesn't allow you to stick to the base for .0001 seconds.  You met the intent of the rule by beating the tag and something beyond your physical control because of the raised nature of the base shouldn't be cause for the out.  I get both sides.  I just don't think this case should be an out. 
wow...at its core I can't disagree with you more....it is the responsibility of the base runner to stay on the base....period....by whatever means necessary....if you know you might "bump off:....adjust your slide so you don't "bump off".... :shrug:

the "intent of the rule" also includes needing to stay in contact with bag or else you can be tagged out...

Yes, this is exactly my concern. If you're saying "the rule is the rule", then you're gonna have to call it on almost every pass play. If you're arguing that common sense will prevail, then you're asking humans to go in and discern intent after the fact - and if you think that's easy, ask a CFB fan what they think about video reviews on targeting penalties.

Somewhat off-topic, but the only way this rule change winds up being beneficial is if it leads to wholesale changes in the replay process, which I've been advocating for a long time. Limit the guy under the hood (or in NYC or wherever) to a timed 60-second video feed at no less than 1/2 speed forward or backward. If the video feed shuts off and the replay official hasn't made a definitive ruling one way or another, the call on the field stands by default.

wow...at its core I can't disagree with you more....it is the responsibility of the base runner to stay on the base....period....by whatever means necessary....if you know you might "bump off:....adjust your slide so you don't "bump off".... :shrug:
I get it and understand why you have that opinion.  I also think that without replay we wouldn't even be having this discussion as this is a situation found only in super slo mo.  I think replay for these type of things should be removed and then it's a non-issue as a real time view of a play like this would not be able to be seen.  I guess that is the reason I don't like the overturn.  It's only noticed because of the slow down replay. 

I error on the side of real time calls.  If you have to slow something down to .00001 seconds to see something then just let it go.  I would want replay review to be at half speed at the slowest with no still shots and only have obvious missed calls overturned.  Watch it twice and if its inconclusive the play stands and move on.  Super Slow Mo is the real culprit here...hahahaha

Somewhat off-topic, but the only way this rule change winds up being beneficial is if it leads to wholesale changes in the replay process, which I've been advocating for a long time. Limit the guy under the hood (or in NYC or wherever) to a timed 60-second video feed at no less than 1/2 speed forward or backward. If the video feed shuts off and the replay official hasn't made a definitive ruling one way or another, the call on the field stands by default.
Ha.  I just posted this exact same thing right down to the half speed limit.  Super Slow mo is the culprit because you can make any play look the way you want it to. 

Yes, this is exactly my concern. If you're saying "the rule is the rule", then you're gonna have to call it on almost every pass play. If you're arguing that common sense will prevail, then you're asking humans to go in and discern intent after the fact - and if you think that's easy, ask a CFB fan what they think about video reviews on targeting penalties.

this will never happen....too many potential problems.....one being, technology....not always perfect...and if there is a clock ticking...no thanks....if the goal for stopping and reviewing is to get it right....do whatever you have to do...don't have a guy making these decisions with a clock going 5...4..3..2..1....like he is on a game show or something....just IMO....

Because no ones cares about the CFL.
People watch the CFL?
Lots of soft lines in the CFL. And some days during the All Star break it's the only game in town. As a result I always catch a few games a year. It's compelling enough. Watch a few CFL games and you'll see that there's nothing to worry about with this new rule. I see it as just one of many necessary, consistent improvements. I promise you guys everything will be okay. When it's all said and done, these people are professionals. No one's ruining the sport.

this will never happen....too many potential problems.....one being, technology....not always perfect...and if there is a clock ticking...no thanks....if the goal for stopping and reviewing is to get it right....do whatever you have to do...don't have a guy making these decisions with a clock going 5...4..3..2..1....like he is on a game show or something....just IMO....
The goal should not be to get every call right (IMO).  Replay (if we have it) should be there to fix obviously bad calls.  The timer is needed to prevent zapruder level analysis during every replay.  If the call isn't obviously wrong in 30 or 60 seconds then let the call stand. 

... I just don't understand how people dislike this rule change. You already have a case study in the CFL; I can't see how this can be bad. Here's a stat from the link I posted earlier:

Over the past three seasons, defensive pass interference has cost teams an average of 15.2 yards per call. Those fouls total 9 percent of all penalties. But because of the yardage involved, they represent 70 percent of penalties with the largest impact on the league's internal version of a win probability statistic, according to documents distributed to committee members this winter. Of the 19 pass interference calls that most impacted win probability during that period, 13 occurred in the last two minutes of the fourth quarter or overtime.

The league's internal analysis also examined the impact of pass interference fouls that were later graded to be incorrect by the league's officiating department. Between 2016 and 2018, 10.5 percent of incorrect calls were for defensive pass interference. But 24 of those plays ranked among the top 50 in impact on win probability. In other words, 10.5 percent of all incorrect calls represented nearly 50 percent of the incorrect calls that most hindered (or helped) a team's chances to win.
We have seen teams move the ball and win games on BS calls due to chucking a ball up. My only worry is who will do the reviewing... in the final decision if it's the NY Replay Center I can see that being a problem.

Rather than have a replay review there ought to just be an official or two in the booth with the ability to make calls in real time.  No review.  They are part of the crew and makes calls.
This is also what Mike Pereira advocates (linked on pg 1 of this thread). I agree wholeheartedly. 

Can get behind this. Can even get behind not having slo-mo at all on reviews.

I haven’t read the rule and we haven’t seen how they will apply it, so I will try to keep an open mind. Bill Belichick has campaigned for this for years, so there has to be some merit to it. 

But on first blush I can’t say I love this as an option. I think there will be too many variables that may come into play. For example, if the refs have ‘let them play” all game and not called many penalties, if there is contact on a non call does that factor into it at all?

How about a non call away from the ball? Can that be reviewed? I am hoping that the refs reserve the right to only change a play in the most blatant of situations. IMO, if they only reverse calls say 1-3% of the time then teams may not challenge as much. 

But my fear is that those who said the fix was in in the NOS-LAR playoff game may not be thrilled because this opens things up even more to having a pretermined game outcome. 

Now there could be even more late game calls reversed that could be considered questionable decisions. God forbid if a game changing play would favor NE. People’s heads might explode. 

Factor in the super duper high definition, super duper slo mo, and 142 camera angles and I am sure a compelling case could be made either way for most calls. 

I am also curious if now all scoring plays will be reviewed for potential penalties. I will chuckle when a defender gets a pick six  called back because the player bumped a receiver a fraction too early. 

I err on the side of real time calls.  If you have to slow something down to .00001 seconds to see something then just let it go.  I would want replay review to be at half speed at the slowest with no still shots and only have obvious missed calls overturned.  Watch it twice and if its inconclusive the play stands and move on.  Super Slow Mo is the real culprit here.
I've seen some stubborn calls in the MLB. Calls that went blatantly opposite of what replay showed. To me, once you put the call in the hands of a baseball umpire, it's still subjective based on their discretion of how the game is going. And I think that's an example of how umpires are way different than referees. They seem to be stubborn by nature. And intolerant. And I think that contributes to the disconnect in the analogy between baseball and football here.

Yo, props to you and the Stinkin Ref on the civility and gentleman-like nature in the back-and-forth of your argument right there. I think that exchange is a good example of why baseball is better than football. I've been dying for some regular season baseball, amirite? Also - just my little contribution - if I tag you and you're not on the base, you're out. Improve your base running skills. Baseball is a precise sport - Incredibly precise. And it goes both ways, too. What if I miss the tag by ⅛ inch yet they call you out? You'd want to correct it. Boom, send it to replay. But I see both sides of the argument - I miss baseball so bad I just had to share in the discussion.

Not sure I like this as it will really forces refs to strictly define pass interference (I don’t mind the “let them play” mentality for the most part). I am concerned that minimal contact situations start getting called and the game further slows down (along with eliminating some big plays). We will see what happens but IMO it looks like a big overreaction on the surface.
As are most NFL rules changes.

and as far as who reviews these and the final say....and if you have a potential clock involved....

what if NY is making the final decision.....but we have 5 plays needing review all at the same time.....or 8....

is every stadium going to have the exact same number of cameras and angles.....seems like we get a better look in some games then others...

I've seen some stubborn calls in the MLB. Calls that went blatantly opposite of what replay showed. To me, once you put the call in the hands of a baseball umpire, it's still subjective based on their discretion of how the game is going. And I think that's an example of how umpires are way different than referees. They seem to be stubborn by nature. And intolerant. And I think that contributes to the disconnect in the analogy between baseball and football here.

Yo, props to you and the Stinkin Ref on the civility and gentleman-like nature in the back-and-forth of your argument right there. I think that exchange is a good example of why baseball is better than football. I've been dying for some regular season baseball, amirite? Also - just my little contribution - if I tag you and you're not on the base, you're out. Improve your base running skills. Baseball is a precise sport - Incredibly precise. And it goes both ways, too. What if I miss the tag by ⅛ inch yet they call you out? You'd want to correct it. Boom, send it to replay. But I see both sides of the argument - I miss baseball so bad I just had to share in the discussion.
I am not so sure about that when every strike zone is different and nothing like what is actually in the book.......and I like that about the sport.  It is part of the strategy game to game.  The offense and pitcher need to figure out what is being called today and adjust accordingly.  My only problem on the strikezone dilemma is when the ump is inconsistent.  I don't mind a strike on a ball 4 inches off the plate but it better be called a strike both ways the entire game.  Once I know that I have to adjust accordingly for that game.  It adds to the strategy for me.  I like the subjectivity of the strike zone over being absolute (provided it is consistent). 

As are most NFL rules changes.
Seemingly. All great empires fall, I just never thought I would live to see the demise of the NFL. I may not live long enough to see it, but it is on course IMO. Every year I watch less and less personally and I don’t see any adjustments that would entice me to watch more. It would be interesting to see how bad ratings would be in today’s game if FF did not exist.

This is so true.  FF and DFS is propping up the NFL at this point (at lest to the level it is now).
I don't know man....even without any type a FF....a good full day of Sunday football still moves my needle....I think it would still be #1 by a long shot....IMO

Seems lots of people are against it.  But every fan... and I mean EVERY fan... complains and gets upset about PI calls being called/not called.  Not sure what better solution to fixing those obvious problems they could have?  Hopefully doesn't slow the game down too much.

Added a Poll.  Curious to see the results from FBG fans on if they would have voted for this to go through or not. 

Seems lots of people are against it.  But every fan... and I mean EVERY fan... complains and gets upset about PI calls being called/not called.  Not sure what better solution to fixing those obvious problems they could have?  Hopefully doesn't slow the game down too much.
The NFL, rather than simplify rules, makes them as convoluted as possible in order to make it easy on officials and ostensibly reduce confusion and controversy.  This, of course, always produces the opposite of the intended effect.  So the problem will be that in 5 years we'll have PI rules reminiscent of "is that a catch or not a catch?".

The NFL, rather than simplify rules, makes them as convoluted as possible in order to make it easy on officials and ostensibly reduce confusion and controversy.  This, of course, always produces the opposite of the intended effect.  So the problem will be that in 5 years we'll have PI rules reminiscent of "is that a catch or not a catch?".
Yes true.  I am curious on how they are going to define pass interference.  It might actually be harder in slow motion to tell if there was "enough contact" than in fast motion as it is still kind of a judgement thing (obviously there will be SOME contact, but how much is too much?).

I don't follow the CFL that much but it seems like it has worked here. 

Yes true.  I am curious on how they are going to define pass interference.  It might actually be harder in slow motion to tell if there was "enough contact" than in fast motion as it is still kind of a judgement thing (obviously there will be SOME contact, but how much is too much?).

I don't follow the CFL that much but it seems like it has worked here. 
Herein lies part of the problem and what I alluded to earlier. Let's say the refs let a lot of contact go and PI WAS NOT called on several other similar plays in the game, but there was a review with a minute to go that could decide the outcome. IMO, if it wasn't worthy of drawing a flag all those other instances IN THAT GAME, I would not want a retroactive flag called on that particular play . . . even if to the letter of the law it might be a foul.

There is hand checking, body positioning, and grabbing pretty much on either player on a lot of plays. I would hope that would fall under a "good non call" classification. I will be curious to see what they actually do on plays where a receiver is blocking 6-8 yards downfield on a clear pick play before a pass is thrown to free up another receiver for a huge gain. With a home  crowd going nuts, on a scoring review, can't wait to see them call OPI on the play. So instead of a 60 yard TD, sorry home team and their fans, now it's 4th and 20 instead.

I think this could impact more games than the occasional bad call in the NOS-LAR game. Not sure if that was the intent of installing this new rule.

How about be consistent with the calls they do make?  The reason people are so upset over calls/non-calls is because on one play they get called for PI then on the next play there is no call which favors the other team.  There is no consistency and that is the real issue. 

Super Slow Mo and too many replays lead each viewer to see the action with their perspective which can then lead to almost every play being able to viewed one way AND  the other way.  So no matter which side you are on you can argue to your favor.  Then when calls are made sometimes and not others it upsets people.  More replay is not the answer for this issue. 

Users who are viewing this thread