What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desert Island Album Draft - 15th Anniversary Edition - 50 Rounds in the books, sign up now for KP's listening program (6 Viewers)

What did you think of EOB?

ETA: you too buffaloes

What did you think of EOB?

ETA: you too buffaloes
Big fan. I've been playing it a lot since it was released back in April. I wasn't sure what to expect but I like the melding of electronic, and his guitar. I had no idea what his singing (non backing vocals) even sounded like. Penultimate song sounds like late 90s U2 without having to listen to an entire album of late 90s U2. I low key spotlighted it earlier when wazzoo took Marling. She and Ed put together a nice folksy closer with some good geeetar strumming on it.

Tbh, it's on my shortlist for this draft. 

That's why she is getting all that dark stuff.  Maybe now she'll start believing. It's a message from grandpa!
My own Elliott Smith song came on next, and as we know he was murdered.  Maybe Grandpa really is telling me to stay out of the cellar!

SECOND EVENING QUESTION:  What would be your second choice?  This is a lot more difficult for me.
Spoon.

At least 9 albums?  Check.  (Was going to say 10 because it's a round number but Spoon only has 9 and that's close enough).

Not one album I don't think is very good to great?  Check.

After Wilco, Spoon would be my 2nd.

Spoon.

At least 9 albums?  Check.  (Was going to say 10 because it's a round number but Spoon only has 9 and that's close enough).

Not one album I don't think is very good to great?  Check.

After Wilco, Spoon would be my 2nd.
Since everybody else is assuming side projects are theirs,  don't forget to pack Divine Fits.  I love that record.

38.21 The Strokes - The New Abnormal 

(2020!)

first off, how about that album title considering this thing dropped right around our new abnormal. Aside from a song here or there I didn't particularly like the 2 strokes albums that immediately preceded this one, but Julian spent some time with his side project, Hammond Jr did his solo thing, and the guys got back together seemingly refreshed. I've listened to this so much since it dropped. In a way they go back to the basics on a couple cuts, but then they go full 80s synth and they jack a Billy idol tune halfway through (least fav cut of the album). But it works. Julian's vocals seem a lot more personal this time....and he reaches for a few  falsettos on the journey. There's a cohesiveness to both the album itself and to the band that seemed to have disappeared after First Impressions of Earth.

The 80s shout outs come through pretty clearly in this. 

As for songs:

The Adults are Talking

Brooklyn Bridge to Chorus

Last edited by a moderator:
Big fan. I've been playing it a lot since it was released back in April. I wasn't sure what to expect but I like the melding of electronic, and his guitar. I had no idea what his singing (non backing vocals) even sounded like. Penultimate song sounds like late 90s U2 without having to listen to an entire album of late 90s U2. I low key spotlighted it earlier when wazzoo took Marling. She and Ed put together a nice folksy closer with some good geeetar strumming on it.

Tbh, it's on my shortlist for this draft. 
i really liked Shangri La but I think I've only listened to the album once.  So much music even when you're not doing much of anything else.

IDLES have 2 1/2 albums and an upcoming documentary...so I'm taking them...because we don't need no toxic masculinity in the sand, but we do need some crunchy screeching guitars.

This is totally not my style, but I am mesmerized.
Follow up album is a hip-hopera concept album involving a lost 1,000 quid, a broken tv and girlfriend issues. I kinda regret not taking it, tbh. And he's got an album coming out very soon, involving guest artists.

38.21 The Strokes - The New Abnormal 

(2020!)

first off, how about that album title considering this thing dropped right around our new abnormal. Aside from a song here or there I didn't particularly like the 2 strokes albums that immediately preceded this one, but Julian spent some time with his side project, Hammond Jr did his solo thing, and the guys got back together seemingly refreshed. I've listened to this so much since it dropped. In a way they go back to the basics on a couple cuts, but then they go full 80s synth and they jack a Billy idol tune halfway through (least fav cut of the album). But it works. Julian's vocals seem a lot more personal this time....and he reaches for a few  falsettos on the journey. There's a cohesiveness to both the album itself and to the band that seemed to have disappeared after First Impressions of Earth.

The 80s shout outs come through pretty clearly in this. 

As for songs, let's go w the bookends:

The Adults are Talking

Ode to the Mets
I really like this one too. Would need Brooklyn Bridge to Chorus as one of my songs. 

38.06 Aftermath (US edition), The Rolling Stones (1966)

I close out my rock albums with the one that kinda began it. I could be as old as my peeps and STILL feel 12yo, smiling at the prospect of each of life's mysteries, at its sound.

Paint It Black

Under My Thumb
Good Lord. 

Somebody had the audacity to call Tracey Chapman a steal in the late 30ish rounds with this still out there.

Follow up album is a hip-hopera concept album involving a lost 1,000 quid, a broken tv and girlfriend issues. I kinda regret not taking it, tbh. And he's got an album coming out very soon, involving guest artists.
The stuff I've heard from Skinner recently hasn't been good.  I suppose it's better than the DOT but that was just dismal.

Users who are viewing this thread