What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is it acceptable to destroy anything that offends you? (1 Viewer)

Certainly don't remember the outrage when Saddam Hussein's (sp?) statue came tumbling down in Iraq.  Lotta cheers if I recall.  Read some of the things Chris Columbus or Nathan Bedford Forrest did to other humans and tell me their statues deserve a better fate than Hussein's.  Civil War soldiers were fighting a war against US (the U.S.) to continue the practice of slavery...why on earth SHOULD we let their monuments stand?  How do you think black people feel knowing that these relics to racism are still revered to this day?    
Like it was said earlier should've been destroyed long ago. Only ones offended are ignorant racist people and white supremacist and those who think The SOUTH WILL RISE AGAIN dumb dumbs. Basically the People who call themselves Patriots but really are just traitors to the country. 

Question for the OP and anyone else who cares to answer.

Imagine the following purely hypothetical scenario: a group of political activists who feel oppressed by their government, voiceless in their own country, having recently been brutally and (in some cases fatally) attacked by the local law enforcement act out in defiance of that oppression by destroying 432 cases of private (not public) property and dumping all* of it into the harbor.

Thoughts on the justification of this act? Could you ever imagine condoning such an act? Could you imagine ever celebrating such an act?

*Note: the protesters "say" they dumped it all, but we'll never truly know if no looting occurred and indeed it'd be surprising to many if some of that tea DIDN'T make it into the pockets of those revolutionaries (or so-called "patriots").  Bonus question: isn't it interesting how one's political perspective alters both the language applied and the condemnation of the acts perpetrated? Please discuss.
You just pointed to the Boston Tea Party. Yes what happened helped get the taxation off. People were not listening to just protesting so you sometimes have to go one step further. You need to get people out of their comfort zones and feeling uncomfortable and even inconvenience them to make them listen. 

Saying the Civil War was really about State Rights and not slavery would be like a couple breaking up after the boyfriend he cheated and him telling people they were splitting up because she was too controlling or they didn't see eye to eye anymore. Yeah, didn't see eye to eye on the cheating part. 
Always love this rhetoric from ignorant and racist people when it comes to what the Civil War was fought over. Always some Constitutionalist or some idiots who says the Dems created the KKK. Yes but both parties have switched and done multiple things since then saying that has zero meaning today. 

Like it was said earlier should've been destroyed long ago. Only ones offended are ignorant racist people and white supremacist and those who think The SOUTH WILL RISE AGAIN dumb dumbs. Basically the People who call themselves Patriots but really are just traitors to the country. 
A generalization really shows your ignorance.  Maybe understanding different perspectives might open up your mind and eyes.  There’s always room for development.  Please keep an open mind here...

Is this monument of a traitor from The Civil War? If so it should be destroyed. Why do we have statues and bases named after traitors? This is like calling the White House The Benedict Arnold House or something like that. 
He was protecting his state rights which was very common then.  It’s a piece of history that we can learn from.  Without history, we can’t learn from our mistakes.  Let’s move it to another location.  

A generalization really shows your ignorance.  Maybe understanding different perspectives might open up your mind and eyes.  There’s always room for development.  Please keep an open mind here...
I do have an open mind. My mind is it should be written down these people were traitors to their countries and racists and shouldn't be momuntized or whatever the word is. I myself am a history guy and these statues have zero reason to be standing. Only ones that should be are the ones on historical sites and battlefields. Anything else should be destroyed. Military bases with their names the names should be removed. Again like I said thats like calling the White House The Benedict Arnold House. Makes zero sense 

He was protecting his state rights which was very common then.  It’s a piece of history that we can learn from.  Without history, we can’t learn from our mistakes.  Let’s move it to another location.  
Bull#### State Rights is just a cop out for they wanted to own slaves and I agree with them. It was not about state rights. You can yell it till you're blue in the face but lets not play revisionist history here. They couldn't play with others so they took their balls and went home. 

The traitorous confederacy attempted to keep Slavery and concede everything else with an offer to surrender. 

Instead, when the Union rejected the offer,  they fought for another year and a half over that single agenda.

Revisionist indeed.

Wow.  Shows how far the history books have gone to generalize the civil war.

If you think it was JUST about slavery you might need to find some older, better written history books and not just repeat what your community college professor said a couple years ago.

Slavery was a byline in the larger script of what the south was fighting for.  An important byline, but definitely not the sole reason for the war 

If you think it was JUST about slavery you might need to find some older, better written history books and not just repeat what your community college professor said a couple years ago.

Slavery was a byline in the larger script of what the south was fighting for.  An important byline, but definitely not the sole reason for the war 
Can you explain why they dropped every demand except slavery?

Can you explain why its so prominent with every states official declaration to secede?

Because its their own history. It doesnt need to be re-written, it just needs to be read.

Bull#### State Rights is just a cop out for they wanted to own slaves and I agree with them. It was not about state rights. You can yell it till you're blue in the face but lets not play revisionist history here. They couldn't play with others so they took their balls and went home. 
Riddle me this Batman, besides being documented that it was states right, why was the vast majority of the confederate army fighting to keep slavery when it didn’t even benefit them? 

Last edited by a moderator:

Scores of historians have volumes of evidence that succession and Civil War was fought to preserve the slave economy in the South.  Do those “older” books you reference still call it “The War of Northern Aggression?” 

Why was the colonel Shaw monument desiccated and destroyed?  

pretty strange that some in here are working so hard and performing such mental gymnastics to try and support monuments to traitors secessionists and slaveholders who literally did everything they could to crush the american idea but hey i guess keep on keepin on because so will history and trying to glorify the south puts you square on the wrong side of it take that to the bank bromigos 

Slavery was the backbone of the southern economy. The richest asset by far. It was in the interest of the rich and powerful to protect that asset and that way of life. Lincoln and the restriction of slavery from the territories were perceived as threats which needed to be resisted to protect their "freedom" to own slaves.

Riddle me this Batman, besides being documented that it was states right, why was the vast majority of the confederate army fighting to keep slavery when it didn’t even benefit them? 
You are kidding me right? Slavery benefited the south the most over the north. Lets not try revisionist history. It's becoming pretty accurate and blatant why created this thread and it was to whine about your little traitor statues being torn down. Wooo is me. Cry me a river. 

Why was the colonel Shaw monument desiccated and destroyed?  
Because some people are stupid. They tried to destroy a CHurchhill Statue and call him racist too. But this isn't about those statues now is this? This is about your precious traitor statues 

You are kidding me right? Slavery benefited the south the most over the north. Lets not try revisionist history. It's becoming pretty accurate and blatant why created this thread and it was to whine about your little traitor statues being torn down. Wooo is me. Cry me a river. 
I believe he's referring to most Southerners weren't rich enough to own slaves. Why fight a rich man's war? Propaganda is my answer. 

I believe he's referring to most Southerners weren't rich enough to own slaves. Why fight a rich man's war? Propaganda is my answer. 
In order tp preserve the "right" to keep slaves you have to dehumanize them. The rich and powerful had a tight hand on the newpapers and spread fear among people regarding what would happen if slaves rebelled or were free and how Yankee influence would ruin their lives. A trickle down theory was that slavery benefitted everyone because it kept the economy going. Southern whites had the ambition of becoming slave holders in order to make things easier for their families at home and to become wealthy.

FYI - I’ve lived in ct all my life.  I care about historical value and as proven over the Shaw monument, people are indiscriminately destroying historical pieces.

The South itself called bullspit on this in 1864...

A Richmond-based newspaper offered the following:

The people of the South,’ says a contemporary, ‘are not fighting for slavery but for independence.’ Let us look into this matter. It is an easy task, we think, to show up this new-fangled heresy — a heresy calculated to do us no good, for it cannot deceive foreign statesmen nor peoples, nor mislead any one here nor in Yankeeland. . . Our doctrine is this: WE ARE FIGHTING FOR INDEPENDENCE THAT OUR GREAT AND NECESSARY DOMESTIC INSTITUTION OF SLAVERY SHALL BE PRESERVED, and for the preservation of other institutions of which slavery is the groundwork.

ty to Uruk-Hai

I’m still hung up on this Winston Churchill business. I would guess, given the age range of a lot of people here, that many of us had racist grandmothers (or other loved family) – I know I did.

Should we disown them? Or have more of us shaken our heads, concluded that those people were wrong to feel the way they did, and chosen to remember them for the (other) good qualities that we recall?

I know it is cliché to say, “It was a different time.” And I am not giving a free pass to slave traders, but I do think it’s too easy to look back and assign 21st-century values to someone who was born in 1874.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread