What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Return of the Desert Island Jukebox Draft - Drop in a quarter (4 Viewers)

This 5th track goes out to my youngest Daughter Grace who will be turning 17 in a few weeks.  Ben Folds sums up fatherhood beautifully in this tune.  Side note on Grace, she and her sister Emily have a thriving Redbubble business through Instagram, both aspiring artists for fun, Grace's specialty is hand drawn digital art of Athletes, especially MLB a passion of hers.  She has had a few players re-post her stuff, pretty cool.  Emily is a big Broadway fan, their Instagram link is below if you are curious.   

5.22 - Gracie - Ben Folds - 2005  (from the album Songs for Silverman)

Gracie

Follow Along on Spotify

MPH - JUKEBOX - 52Girls

Grace and Emily's Digital Art Instagram

Last edited by a moderator:
Slowly moving my way to older songs, and this is another must-have for my list. Yo Mama selects:

5.23 - Pink Floyd - Another Brink in the Wall (1979)

B-side: One of My Turns

This was the source of my first “protest” ever. In 4th grade, my buddy Vinnie (RIP) and I went to the upper playground at lunch recess to start a mass school protest. We started screaming this song at the top of our lungs and tried to get everyone to sing along with us. I think only 4 or 5 people joined in until the recess monitor came over and dragged us down to the principals office. It took me a couple days to try to explain to my mom why I got detention, and I wasn’t very successful. A grounding ensued, but not before I shouted out “LEAVE THOSE KIDS ALONE!!” as I stormed off to my room. 

Slowly moving my way to older songs, and this is another must-have for my list. Yo Mama selects:

5.23 - Pink Floyd - Another Brink in the Wall (1979)

B-side: One of My Turns

This was the source of my first “protest” ever. In 4th grade, my buddy Vinnie (RIP) and I went to the upper playground at lunch recess to start a mass school protest. We started screaming this song at the top of our lungs and tried to get everyone to sing along with us. I think only 4 or 5 people joined in until the recess monitor came over and dragged us down to the principals office. It took me a couple days to try to explain to my mom why I got detention, and I wasn’t very successful. A grounding ensued, but not before I shouted out “LEAVE THOSE KIDS ALONE!!” as I stormed off to my room. 

It had three parts on the album.  Is there a single version that combined them?

All three parts were under four minutes so we know Mr. Floyd can do it if he sets his mind to do it.

If an alien landed on Earth and said to me "So, been hearing about this '60s soul music y'all had. Play me one record to define it", I'd have a hard time not choosing this one. 

The horns are power-chording harder than most metal bands. The rhythm section, as always for that band, is awesome - especially Jackson's drumming, which sounds like jackhammers learned how to swing.. Sam Moore kills his parts and Dave Prater, while not much more gifted than me as a singer, gives one of the all-time everyman performances on a great record. 

Man, I’ve got two songs I want to take here that I think might both be at risk of being on other people’s lists. Might have to flip a coin and cross my fingers that the other one can last another 40+ picks. 

Jazz, Blues, Gospel Roots

Rd 5 Wings of Faith by C.L. Franklin (1950)

My last post left us talking about Joe Von Battle and his twice lost record shop. He didn't just sell music, he recorded it. The JWB label recorded John Lee Hooker and my 5th pick, Reverend C.L. Franklin. I was able to find a gospel song for my choice but most of the Reverend's records were sermons. "The Man with the Million Dollar Voice" became the pastor of the New Bethel Baptist Church in 1946. The freeway project came and the Church was bulldozed. Franklin secured a new home and built a second New Bethel Baptist Church. From there, he would preach and make live recordings of his sermons and his daughter singing spirituals. He grew the Church into one of the centers of the Civil Rights Movement.  Martin Luther King Jr and Coretta Scott King would speak there. 5 months after being shot, James Meredith would speak to the congregation.

Unfortunately, violence would also befall C.L. Franklin. In 1979, his home was broken into. Franklin fired at the suspects but in the return fire, he was hit twice. He fell into a coma for which he never really recovered. He would pass away from complications 5 years later. What resulted was one of the largest funerals the city had ever seen. His final surviving child would return home to the New Bethel Baptist Church one last time and an even larger crowd of loved ones, musicians, leaders and Presidents gathered in the Church she was raised in to send her back home to C.L.

My soul is an eagle in the cage that the Lord has made for me. My soul, my soul, my soul is caged in, in this old body, yes it is, and one of these days the man who made the cage will open the door and let my soul go. - from C.L. Franklin's sermon, The Eagle Stirreth Her Nest 

FYI - if I ever take a b-side song that fits into someone else’s theme, feel free to draft it. I’m not doing anything with my b-sides other than calling them out. 

Partly saying this since I’m super nice and a giver, partly because I’m seeing a few songs I want with flip side songs that other people might draft before I can. 

Luckily for MAC, he said he's taking covers and, at this point of the draft at least, I'm not. 

I'm not much into hip-hop, but this is songcraft at its finest, and the beat makes me go ... crazy.

5.25 Gnarls Barkley -- Crazy

Year: 2006

Album: St. Elsewhere

I don't care for the B-side.

Side 1 of Remain in Light is some of the most stimulating music I've ever heard, and the A-side sends me into a tizzy whenever I hear it, whether its by Talking Heads or Phish. Until I started research for this draft, I had no idea it was released as a single, and the B-side was another song from side 1! What a windfall!

6.01 Talking Heads -- Crosseyed and Painless

Year: 1980

Album: Remain in Light

B-side: The Great Curve

Also, if you have any interest in Talking Heads, you must hear the Live in Rome set from 1980, all of which is on YouTube. It blows all their officially released live stuff away. Yes, even Stop Making Sense. And the Crosseyed is INSANE. I have no idea how Adrian Belew got those sounds out of his guitar. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwWW742T0Wc

Alright, the coin flip came up heads, so I’m sticking with my original choice here. Honestly, it’s my favorite of the two choices plus I’d have a harder time filling this year. Hopefully my other song survives the draft gauntlet. Yo Mama selects:

6.03 - Grandmaster Flash & the Furious Five - The Message (1982)

The b-side is just the instrumental version so I’m not taking it, but I remember one of my friends that used to DJ would always break out this side in his mixes. 

This is another important song in the protest /unrest genre since it was the first big hit hip-hop song that moved away from the house party / look-at-me style to discuss social issues so prominently. 

Figured this might be on a couple other theme lists since it is VERY NYC (sweet video to prove it) and since it has been sampled so many times. 

Yo Mama’s Jukebox

Six Years of Unrest and Protest

1979 - Another Brick in the Wall - Pink Floyd

1982 - The Message - Grandmaster Flash & the Furious Five

1989 - Fight the Power - Public Enemy

1992 - Killing in the Name - Rage Against the Machine

2004 - American Idiot - Green Day

2015 - Alright - Kendrick Lamar

I’ll pull my playlist together and will post a link to it after a couple more rounds  

😎

Jazz, Blues, Gospel Roots

Rd 6 Angels Watching Over Me by The Detroiters (1953)

“This is the root of all of it,” said the 26-year-old from Birmingham. “If you want to learn R&B, if you want to learn contemporary, if you want to make hip-hop music or any type of music, old-time Detroit gospel is the foundation.

“Years ago I would never dream this would ever happen, that everybody is trying to learn how to play gospel music,” Daniels said. “Years ago, when I was a kid, it was mostly a black thing. Now it’s spread. But gospel is for everybody. Music is universal. It doesn’t have no creed or color. And I open my doors to everybody, not just to blacks. Everybody that wants to learn. If you want to learn gospel and you want to come here where I’m at, I’m more than glad to teach you.”
Detroit music teacher surprised by who's asking to learn traditional gospel: The teacher kept trying to modernize his lessons. But students kept asking to learn that old-time religion.

I’ve been avoiding the years where I have tons of options so far, but I’m thinking I need to start hitting some of those up so those years can get into the Free-Play drafts. 

I’ve been avoiding the years where I have tons of options so far, but I’m thinking I need to start hitting some of those up so those years can get into the Free-Play drafts. 
Maybe I misunderstood but let’s say I want to take 2 songs from 1960. I don’t think I need to take a song from 1960 by round 15.  I could take a 1960 song in the free play section 15-20. Then I could take another 1960 song later.

Maybe I misunderstood but let’s say I want to take 2 songs from 1960. I don’t think I need to take a song from 1960 by round 15.  I could take a 1960 song in the free play section 15-20. Then I could take another 1960 song later.
Correct, but if you pick a 1960 song before round 15 it increases the likelihood 1960 is the free play round.

Yes, I've struggled with this, too, but like you have been focusing on the years where I don't have many options.  Hoping you guys will somehow hit the years where I have a lot of options.  :)

A few Canadian bands really overlap in the early 70s, I'm trying to keep the jukebox aspect true to form, so I think the chance to throw in another huge US #1 hit single is too good to pass up, even though I'm now really pigeonholing myself on a couple other artists.

6.12 - Bachman-Turner Overdrive - You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet (1974)

B-Side is Free Wheelin'

The more recent years are pretty easy for me, so knocking out the early stuff first:

50 Canadian Artists Better Than Rush

• 1968 - Magic Carpet Ride/Sookie Sookie - Steppenwolf
  • 1969 - The Night They Drove ol Dixie Down/Up on Cripple Creek - The Band
  • 1970 - American Woman/No Sugar Tonight - The Guess Who
  • 1972 - Old Man/The Needle and The Damage Done - Neil Young
  • 1974 - You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet/Free Wheelin' - BTO
  • 1979 - This Beat Goes On/Switchin to Glide - The Kings

Users who are viewing this thread