What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Return of the Desert Island Jukebox Draft - Drop in a quarter (5 Viewers)

There's another song I would love to have picked (there actually several - '66 was a good year) but I have picked it in past drafts - and the group had ONE other top 20 hit ...but that was it - I might have pushed to qualify as the one song is THE song they are known for.  

I suspect her theme may be connected to Paul McCartney, but that suspicion is subject to change.
Very close!  I doubt anyone will take the time to suss out snipes on me, so I'll just announce my theme now.

My theme is in tribute to the brilliant idea, Garfield Minus Garfield and is entitled "Beatles Minus Beatles."  I will be choosing only songs by or heavily involving someone who has had a collaboration with one or more of the Beatles.  I'm only including collaborations that include being an integral part of a song or album, not the whole cast of "All You Need Is Love" who just wandered by and did backing vocals.  My picks will not involve any songs with actual Beatles.

So far:

Procol Harum - Gary Brooker did keyboard/piano/vocals in the 4th and 5th iterations of Ringo's All-Starr band (1997-99).

Booker T. & the M.G.s - Steve Cropper played on three Ringo albums, one John album, and with George at Bob Dylan's 30th anniversary concert.  

The Beach Boys - Brian Wilson contributed vocals on Ringo's album, Time Takes Time.  Paul contributed a song, "A Friend Like You," to Brian's album, Gettin' In Over My Head.

Sly and the Family Stone - Andy Newmark was the drummer on Sly's album Fresh, and was also the drummer on two of John's albums (as well as one of Yoko's).

Roy Orbison - Traveling Wilburys with George.  Duh.

Sam Cooke - Billy Preston obviously had lots of Beatles collaboration with the band and the individuals, and as a 16-year-old he contributed the organ parts for Sam Cooke's album Night Beat.  I chose the song I did because it so prominently features Billy (Sam even calls him out by name) and his "talking" style of organ playing.

Willie Nelson - Ringo's song "Write For Me" on his Ringo Rama album was a duet with Willie.

My theme is in tribute to the brilliant idea, Garfield Minus Garfield and is entitled "Beatles Minus Beatles."  I will be choosing only songs by or heavily involving someone who has had a collaboration with one or more of the Beatles.  I'm only including collaborations that include being an integral part of a song or album, not the whole cast of "All You Need Is Love" who just wandered by and did backing vocals.  My picks will not involve any songs with actual Beatles.
Fred Astaire was on the Sgt. Pepper's album cover

Very close!  I doubt anyone will take the time to suss out snipes on me, so I'll just announce my theme now.

So far:

Procol Harum - Gary Brooker did keyboard/piano/vocals in the 4th and 5th iterations of Ringo's All-Starr band (1997-99).

Booker T. & the M.G.s - Steve Cropper played on three Ringo albums, one John album, and with George at Bob Dylan's 30th anniversary concert.  

The Beach Boys - Brian Wilson contributed vocals on Ringo's album, Time Takes Time.  Paul contributed a song, "A Friend Like You," to Brian's album, Gettin' In Over My Head.

Sly and the Family Stone - Andy Newmark was the drummer on Sly's album Fresh, and was also the drummer on two of John's albums (as well as one of Yoko's).

Sam Cooke - Billy Preston obviously had lots of Beatles collaboration with the band and the individuals, and as a 16-year-old he contributed the organ parts for Sam Cooke's album Night Beat.  I chose the song I did because it so prominently features Billy (Sam even calls him out by name) and his "talking" style of organ playing.

Willie Nelson - Ringo's song "Write For Me" on his Ringo Rama album was a duet with Willie.
don't forget the legend that Klaus Voorman's plucking finger once landed on the exact spot where Bruno Mars was born in the game of "spin the globe" which landed him in this country

:thumbup:  Willie and Merle did a cover of "Yesterday" together, so I thought maybe your "Poncho and Lefty" was a possible clue. 😃 Then there is this pic of Willie and Paul, and then Merle and Paul got awarded the Kennedy Center Honors together (same time). 

So far:

:hifive: pretty damn cool theme

@Eephus hypothetical question here. If a song was released as a B side in 1942 and then re-released as its own single in 1943, I assume either year is fair game in this exercise?

What could possibly go wrong with this song on the jukebox.

Round 7

The Stripper - David Rose (1962) 💃
I've probably posted this before The Stripper was my high school's official song.  Milwaukee Hamilton was a new school that opened in the late 60s and the song was chosen after a poll. 

There were lyrics and everything "Hamilton is really keen/with our bands of gold and green".  I played the song over a hundred times in high school band and could still probably fake it through the horn part.

We'll be going to one pick per day starting on Saturday. 

Unless there is a code red imminent risk of being sniped, you don't need to make your pick first thing in the morning.  It's better for the thread if the picks are spread throughout the day like an enriching layer of mulch.

Unless there is a code red imminent risk of being sniped, you don't need to make your pick first thing in the morning.  It's better for the thread if the picks are spread throughout the day like an enriching layer of mulch.
So it doesn't matter when or in what order we make our pick as long as it's some time during that day? 

Should we also have “catch up” picks on Saturday so we all land on the same round by end of day (in case we end up mid-round Friday)?

This one hits two birds with one tune, my Mom always went by her middle name Margaret, and my oldest sister is also Margaret, but neither of them go by that name...
My Mom was an amazing woman, mother of 11 kids and gone 13 years ago this month, deeply missed but she was a lover of Music and I think of her often when I play many of her favorite tunes...

7.22 - Peg - Steely Dan - 1977 

Peg

B side - I got the news

follow along on Spotify 

MPH - Jukebox - 52Girls

I’M OFFICIALLY GOING TO BREAK THE SEAL!!!!!

I was thinking about this one last round since I thought the A-side might have some interested drafters. Yo Mama selects:

7.23 - The Beatles - Revolution (1968)

A-side: just a little ditty called Hey Jude

I’m going with the single version partly to nab the a-side and partly because the heavier single version fits my playlist more than the bluesy #1 album version. 

Can’t believe I’m the first to draft a Beatles song in a music draft when I’m not sure I’ve ever even taken them at all in one before. 

Users who are viewing this thread