What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Return of the Desert Island Jukebox Draft - Drop in a quarter (4 Viewers)

MAC_32 said:
Rough estimate for the round 20 free play as of right now:

Lock

1972- 15

Likely In

1977- 14

1970- 13

Bubble

1973, 1975, 1976 - 12

Only 2 of those 3 will make it in.

Work to do

1967, 1971- 11

1979, 1982 - 10

---

It'll be an uphill battle, but let's all do our part to knock 1977 out!
I'm hoping for 72 or 75

krista4 said:
Round 17  The Who - Substitute (1966)

For whatever reason, this is my favorite Who song.  

I like the b-side of the UK single, Circles (Instant Party), better than the one from the US version, so I'll take that.

Beatles collaborations include:

Pete Townshend and Kenney Jones were part of the "Rockestra" with Wings that recorded the Grammy-winning "Rockestra Theme" and another song, "So Glad to See You Here," both on Back to the Egg.  Keith Moon was to have been part of it but died a month before recording.

John Entwistle was a member of Ringo's Third All-Starr Band, and Pete Townshend was a guest artist in the Ninth iteration.

And of course, not a direct collaboration but Ringo's son Zak Starkey has been recording and touring with The Who since 1996.
there's got to be some kind of Teds v. Mods thing that doesnt allow this

the weasel is taking full advantage of my sequential year-by-year picking ...

this may need to be adjusted.  
@Raging weasel

pulling out the big guns for my 18th rd re-pick

18.03: Marquee Moon - Television (1977)

WHAAATTTTTT??? THEY'RE NOT A ONE-HIT WONDER!!

ya ...they are.  The influential punk/alt/new wave darlings charted nothing in terms of single in the US ...even though their album "Marquee Moon" is considered one of the Top 100 albums of all time.  

At 10 minutes, it's long for a jukebox ...and especially mine that is loaded with AM singles, but I felt I needed to bring down the hammer with this 

Eephus said:
Billy Preston recorded the original version of You Are So Beautiful.

Cocker's version is much better but Al Green does a great one too.

ETA:  The Preston version is awful
these are case in point what my late, great pal Robbie Palmer was always on about. Preston makes a short, slight, but very pretty gospel pinch and dresses it up all over the place and turns it into mush. Green recognizes the church in it, but he too overdresses it w people syllables. Cocker did what Rob, the Occum of serenading, was always preaching, "if you got nothing more to say, shut you're bleedin' gob". Cocker or his producer let the instruments handle the build and Ol Yowly handled the "how do i say the hardest & easiest thing to say?" boom

ETA: there's a song i'll be drafting later that i heard when i was little and been singing for 65 yrs. it's maybe :50 to 1:10 of content, really two sentences, the artist put a li'l ivories at the end and restates the 2nd sentence to get it up to the min, but essentially left it alone and it's still where i go when i need to remind myself of the magic of life before i get out the shower

Last edited by a moderator:
Missy Elliott was the filthiest lady working the biz in the aughts. In all respects, from lyricist to producer to certainly not afraid of her sexuality.

Nasty stank funk with production by Timbaland at the top of his game?

From 2002? Pazz and Jop's best single of the year? From hip hop? A song that stayed in the top forty charts at #2 for ten weeks in 2002 and the re-entered in 2015 at #35?

Damn, Missy. 

Gimme some.

Round 19.xx

Song: Work It

Artist: Missy Elliott

Year: 2002

18.Hey, listen

Childish Gambino - Me and Your Mama

This will be the probably only song I do this in this draft, but if you haven't listened to this song yet go ahead and give link a click, and stick it out for its entirety. First time I listened to it kinda blew me away. This song and really this album came out of nowhere a few years ago. A love letter to 70s funk with some rock thrown in--the album art and this song are reminiscent of Maggot Brain. The tempo changes and the vocals in this one are unique and really kick the album off in style.

Up until I heard this album I had associated Donald Glover's Childish Gambino act with modern rap that I didn't bother to dive into, but Glover must be really talented because he zigged instead of sticking with the hip hop zag and pulled it off. There's another track on this album that I thought about but it's really close to the Bootsy Collins joint I drafted earlier (I think Bootsy gets writing credits on it) and this one of the coolest sounding songs I've heard in the past 5 years or so, so it's this one.

Plus if you are at a cookout you can scare the kids with this one. Or just play it on blast at the speakeasy. Be creative and shoehorn Glover's scream into a social event your rockin the jukebox at.

I'm in love when we are smoking that la la lalala

Let me into your heart

Do you really love me?

I'ma get you girl aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh

:wub:

Missy Elliott was the filthiest lady working the biz in the aughts. In all respects, from lyricist to producer to certainly not afraid of her sexuality.
I re-listened to this song doing research for my own jukebox and filthy was the word that came to mind on this one.

Going for another b-side song that ended up bigger than the a-side and one of the biggest hits for this group. Yo Mama selects:

19.23 - XTC - Dear God (1986)

a-side is Grass (I remember the video more than the song)

This was a hugely controversial song and was initially left off Skylarking due to concerns of this controversy. After it started getting a bunch of air play (mainly by college radio stations initially), it was re-released on a re-presses version of the album. The backlash to the song was huge - the band and radio stations that played the song got death threats and bomb threats. It was banned all over the place.  It’ll fit perfectly in my jukebox. 

Going for another b-side song that ended up bigger than the a-side and one of the biggest hits for this group. Yo Mama selects:

19.23 - XTC - Dear God (1986)

a-side is Grass (I remember the video more than the song)

This was a hugely controversial song and was initially left off Skylarking due to concerns of this controversy. After it started getting a bunch of air play (mainly by college radio stations initially), it was re-released on a re-presses version of the album. The backlash to the song was huge - the band and radio stations that played the song got death threats and bomb threats. It was banned all over the place.  It’ll fit perfectly in my jukebox. 

It was left off Skylarking because producer Todd Rundgren hated it. 

Yo Mama said:
I’ve got about 10 songs in my next “tier” on my list, but I’ll go with another classic. Couldn’t have a protest/unrest playlist without this one.  Yo Mama selects:

18.03 - Buffalo Springfield - For What it’s Worth (1966)

b-side is Do I Have to Come Right Out and Say It

Stephen Stills wrote this song about the protests/riots that broke out when police tried to enforce a new 10pm curfew on the Sunset Strip (fun side note on wiki - Jack Nicholson and Peter Fonda we’re both handcuffed by the police during these protests), but it quickly turned into an anthem to the larger anti-war protest culture.  It got its name when Stills handed the song over to the record company and said “I have this song here, for what it’s worth, if you want it.”

Ilov80s said:
Love the song and write-up there. It did make me laugh a bit when I heard the actual the thing they were protesting since I had always assumed it was Vietnam or Civil Rights Movement. Nope, just mad because their "Constitutional right" to party all night was being restricted because the residents and businesses in the neighborhood were annoyed by them being loud, drunk and making a huge mess every night. 
the best of the protest songs, for potability and the fact it was about the actual point - we werent gonna be like anybody had ever been. we didnt care if it was the right thing to do, the best thing to be, whether the rules were there for our benefit or the betterment of society. every gosh darn one of the borders, guidelines, parameters of human behavior set down thru the ages were gonna get tested and we'd get back to you squares on what we found out.

i remember one time Mr Gangi (a distant cousin of me Ma's foster family) threw a bunch of hippies out of his store just for being hippies. most of us had been customers of his our whole lives, had done nothing wrong, but it didnt matter anymore. the retail refugees found me and some of my trickster pals in the park and griped about it. well, your humble servant wasnt havin' this and we was doing sumn about it.

every TV in the land was noisy @ the time w commercials for a new toilet tissue that was so soft that the package itself was irresistibly squeezable. even back then i l :heart: ed me a good play on words, so i gathered every ad hoc hippie on da block, we filed into the Centre Supermarket and headed for the paper products aisle. now there'd been sit-ins, march-ins, pray-ins, stay-ins, but protest history had never seen what we were about to stage. 40 or so freaks each grabbed themselves a package of these brand-new asswipes, sat on the floor widdit and squoze em til the cops came in, thereby becoming the first (and last) ever Charm-in. the Salem Police giggled more that day than when i hired em to bust an April Fools party a decade or so later. nufced

It was left off Skylarking because producer Todd Rundgren hated it. 
sorry Pip ...this is wrong, it's just the opposite.

I gotta go back and listen to the Jonesy's Jukebox where Todd tells the story.  

Andy was afraid of the possible blowback from the religious right with the song being about God - Todd fought to get it on the album

It got released as a single (B-side) and blew up ...and they had to race to get it back on the record.

I gotta find it.   :thumbup:

sorry Pip ...this is wrong, it's just the opposite.

I gotta go back and listen to the Jonesy's Jukebox where Todd tells the story.  

Andy was afraid of the possible blowback from the religious right with the song being about God - Todd fought to get it on the album

It got released as a single and blew up ...and they had to race to get it back on the record.

I gotta find it.   :thumbup:
I thought I read the opposite but that was a long time ago and I don't like the song enough to spend the time digging. I do know that Rundgren and Partridge fought during the entire sessions, maybe I conflated that with this. 

I thought I read the opposite but that was a long time ago and I don't like the song enough to spend the time digging. I do know that Rundgren and Partridge fought during the entire sessions, maybe I conflated that with this. 
here is one of them with Todd talking about the XTC - Skylarking and Dear God.  

the whole interview is pretty cool - but the XTC discussion starts around the 16 minute mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=febFFwHhek8

Eephus said:
18.ee - Atlantic City - The Band  (1993)

I've listened to a lot of Springsteen covers over the past couple of weeks.  To be honest, most aren't great and a bunch are really awful.  The Band's version of "Atlantic City" from the Nebraska album is definitely in the top echelon of Springsteen covers. 

The accordion, organ and mandolin arrangement sets it apart from the original.  The lead vocals from Levon Helm add a country boy in the city vibe to the lyrics.  Levon and Rick Danko were born to sing harmonies together.
I was 99.9% certain you were gonna take this once you revealed your theme. 
Well, I wasn't going to draft something off Patti Scialfa's solo album.

@Raging weasel

pulling out the big guns for my 18th rd re-pick

18.03: Marquee Moon - Television (1977)

WHAAATTTTTT??? THEY'RE NOT A ONE-HIT WONDER!!

ya ...they are.  The influential punk/alt/new wave darlings charted nothing in terms of single in the US ...even though their album "Marquee Moon" is considered one of the Top 100 albums of all time.  

At 10 minutes, it's long for a jukebox ...and especially mine that is loaded with AM singles, but I felt I needed to bring down the hammer with this 
Marquee Moon was split into two parts for its release on a 7" single.

Let's get some more '69 up in here!  :oldunsure:

18th Round  The Meters - Cissy Strut (1969)

I will take the b-side, too:  Here Comes the Meter Man

George Porter, Jr. played on Paul's song "My Carnival" while Wings were recording Venus and Mars in New Orleans.  When Paul had The Meters play at the release party for Venus and Mars, the Rolling Stones were so impressed that they had The Meters open for them on their '75 and '76 tours.  Also, Allen Touissant played piano on Wings's "Rock Show," and he and Paul did a duet of Fats Domino's "I Want To Walk You Home" for Goin' Home: A Tribute to Fats Domino.

Since we had a lot of Petty chat last night, I'll take one of my favorites from him:

19th Round  Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - Here Comes My Girl (1980 - year of single release)

I would like the excellent b-side, too:  Louisiana Rain

Beatles collaboration - well, Traveling Wilburys, duh.  Also, George played guitar on "I Won't Back Down," and Ringo played drums in the video for it.  

Round 19 New Killer Star - David Bowie (2003)

A Non-native New Yorker but he plays the part well. Bowie had a heck of a career when you consider even his post-2000 records were relevant and showed him still on his game.

mphtrilogy said:
Missed yesterdays PM pick

This pick goes out to my 5th sister, she and her husband share a lot of similar musical interests and we've attended many concerts together.    I have a RT track lined up a bit later, but this one goes out to my sister...

Pick 17: Colleen - Ted Leo & The Pharmacists - 2007

Colleen
They have a song with my daughters' name.  I like it quite a bit.

19.ee - The Price You Pay - Emmylou Harris (1981)

One of my discarded gimmick ideas was to do a 50 years of Emmylou jukebox.  It could almost certainly be done with free plays but it would end up as basically a single artist playlist including collaborations and backing vocals.  I plan to binge listen to her catalog after I sort out a few more years but I'll leave this one here for now.

It's a cover of one of Springsteen's finest songs and was released shortly after the original was on The River. 

19.xx Lo Siento Mi Vida, Linda Ronstadt (1976)

To my crew (the Bearsville set) in the music biz, Linnie Ronstadt was the personification of evil or, at least, the cautionary tale. We had a lot of women making music among us and much of our motive was based in doing what we could in the name of them getting to find their voice as fully and freely as we did, a difficult prospect back then. In LA, even the most mellow music doods were crass, cavalier & crude with women artists and more about making them the next Janis, the new Joni or anything but what they actually were. As bravely & beautifully as Miss Ronstadt performed her chores of dressing up oldies, it was all entirely insipid to us. Little Feat pretended to be all eastern in their orientation, but they drew Bonnie Raitt out to LA (actually where she was from) and, shonuff, within a year she had put out a processed cheese food version of Del Shannon's "Runaway", then, when she didnt plug in, found herself without a label before the decade was out.

So i had that American Cheese outlook on Ronstadt, which was unfair and more than a trifle jealous of her talent, but it all melted over my cheeseburger heart when i heard this. Don't think i even knew she was Hispanic, but it didnt matter. This is as treesweet & juicy as any piece of song you're ever gonna hear.

To my crew (the Bearsville set) in the music biz, Linnie Ronstadt was the personification of evil or, at least, the cautionary tale. We had a lot of women making music among us and much of our motive was based in doing what we could in the name of them getting to find their voice as fully and freely as we did, a difficult prospect back then. In LA, even the most mellow music doods were crass, cavalier & crude with women artists and more about making them the next Janis, the new Joni or anything but what they actually were. As bravely & beautifully as Miss Ronstadt performed her chores of dressing up oldies, it was all entirely insipid to us. Little Feat pretended to be all eastern in their orientation, but they drew Bonnie Raitt out to LA (actually where she was from) and, shonuff, within a year she had put out a processed cheese food version of Del Shannon's "Runaway", then, when she didnt plug in, found herself without a label before the decade was out.
I never understood how Ronstadt's records with Peter Asher sound so great and the time Warners paired Raitt up with Asher ended up utterly wrong.

I never understood how Ronstadt's records with Peter Asher sound so great and the time Warners paired Raitt up with Asher ended up utterly wrong.
Hollywood, pure & simple.

Bonnie's humility & sincerity were the best parts of her and are both anti-skills for LA. As i've told before, i was out of the business when she finally gave in to the pull, but i spent over $100 sending her what was called a Mailgram of indignation about how wrong the step was. i only saw her once again, 6 or 7 yrs later, when she'd lost her contract and was pretty much living in a bottle, and she was as sore about it as the day she read it. It was a thing of a time - the brass ring was rarely offered to women then, but it was a Faustian bargain almost every time. God bless that she got a 2nd act.

ETA: and Linnie was OK being treated like a pretty girl. patronize my Miss Raitt, you were likely to get a bottle of Beam across your chops

Hollywood, pure & simple.

Bonnie's humility & sincerity were the best parts of her and are both anti-skills for LA. As i've told before, i was out of the business when she finally gave in to the pull, but i spent over $100 sending her what was called a Mailgram of indignation about how wrong the step was. i only saw her once again, 6 or 7 yrs later, when she'd lost her contract and was pretty much living in a bottle, and she was as sore about it as the day she read it. It was a thing of a time - the brass ring was rarely offered to women then, but it was a Faustian bargain almost every time. God bless that she got a 2nd act.
It was even obvious to teenage eephus that Bonnie wasn't the next Karla Bonoff or Nicolette Larson. 

Users who are viewing this thread