What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

January 6th - what will happen? (5 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I must suck at Google because I can’t find anything about Garland labeling the Oath Keepers as a white supremacist group.

I don’t understand how you can label the Charlottesville protest as anything other than racist. They were there to protest the removal of a confederate statue that was erected during the Jim Crow era. It really says something about these “right wing” and “pro-second amendment” groups that they didn’t go home once a parade of Nazis showed up at the protest. If Nazis showed up to protest alongside me I would self reflect on what I’m protesting. 
https://news.yahoo.com/white-supremacy-is-top-security-threat-ag-garland-says-165923811.html

WASHINGTON — Attorney General Merrick Garland told Congress on Wednesday that violence incited by white supremacists poses “the most dangerous threat to our democracy.” That assertion reflects near-universal consensus among national security experts, including those who worked for the Trump administration.

Garland’s warning came during a Senate Appropriations Committee hearing on the Jan. 6 riot at the U.S. Capitol, which was conducted by supporters of then-President Donald Trump and incited by white supremacist groups like the Oath Keepers and Proud Boys. Five people died as a result of the attack.

--------

You Amy be right about Charlottesville..  I was thinking more about the Richmond, VA rally after that which was a pro-second amendment rally which the media played up as if it was going to be another Charlottesville.  

CNN Breaking News @cnnbrk 35m

House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy says he opposes an inquiry into the Capitol insurrection, siding with Republicans downplaying the January 6 riot

https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/18/politics/kevin-mccarthy-opposes-1-6-commission/index.html?utm_term=link&utm_content=2021-05-18T13%3A51%3A25&utm_source=twcnnbrk&utm_medium=social
Of course he opposes the inquiry. He called Donald Trump on the phone on 1/6 to tell him to call off the insurrecting mob, and was told (paraphrasing) that "they must want it more than you do Kevin." He likely would be subpoenaed and have to testify about this under oath.  

https://news.yahoo.com/white-supremacy-is-top-security-threat-ag-garland-says-165923811.html

WASHINGTON — Attorney General Merrick Garland told Congress on Wednesday that violence incited by white supremacists poses “the most dangerous threat to our democracy.” That assertion reflects near-universal consensus among national security experts, including those who worked for the Trump administration.

Garland’s warning came during a Senate Appropriations Committee hearing on the Jan. 6 riot at the U.S. Capitol, which was conducted by supporters of then-President Donald Trump and incited by white supremacist groups like the Oath Keepers and Proud Boys. Five people died as a result of the attack.

-------- 
The mention of the Oath Keepers is by the writer of the article. Doesn't look like Garland mentions them at all

The mention of the Oath Keepers is by the writer of the article. Doesn't look like Garland mentions them at all
That is how I read that as well. The article does link to another article that says that a leader from the Oath Keepers organized an alliance with the Proud Boys.

A leader of the right-wing Oath Keeper militia group “organized an alliance” with the Proud Boys and a third extremist group ahead of the Capitol storming on Jan. 6, according to a new federal court filing.
https://news.yahoo.com/oath-keepers-leader-coordinated-proud-174100869.html

--------

You Amy be right about Charlottesville..  I was thinking more about the Richmond, VA rally after that which was a pro-second amendment rally which the media played up as if it was going to be another Charlottesville.  
That article doesn’t attribute a quote to Garland labeling the oath keepers as white supremacists. 

That is how I read that as well. The article does link to another article that says that a leader from the Oath Keepers organized an alliance with the Proud Boys.

A leader of the right-wing Oath Keeper militia group “organized an alliance” with the Proud Boys and a third extremist group ahead of the Capitol storming on Jan. 6, according to a new federal court filing.
https://news.yahoo.com/oath-keepers-leader-coordinated-proud-174100869.html
Meh, just a group outing by a few militia groups from all over the country to tour the Capitol. Don't forget to pack the bear spray, in case they run into some uncooperative police (whose lives they value very much).

Meh, just a group outing by a few militia groups from all over the country to tour the Capitol. Don't forget to pack the bear spray, in case they run into some uncooperative police (whose lives they value very much).
I'll bring the handcuffs, Capri Sun, and gallows!

Last edited by a moderator:
Garland mentions White Supremacy being the biggest threat, then talks about Jan. 6th as an example.  Proud Boys and Oath Keepers are the two main groups responsible.   It is more than implied that he was considering those two groups as white supremist.  

Garland mentions White Supremacy being the biggest threat, then talks about Jan. 6th as an example.  Proud Boys and Oath Keepers are the two main groups responsible.   It is more than implied that he was considering those two groups as white supremist.  
So were they responsible for the 6mwe tshirts?  The Confederate flags?  The Georgian flags (the country, not the state which was a head scratcher?)  I mean you guys like to brand all BLM supporters as Marxists by association so if the shoe fits...

As he should. Obviously.

So were they responsible for the 6mwe tshirts?  The Confederate flags?  The Georgian flags (the country, not the state which was a head scratcher?)  I mean you guys like to brand all BLM supporters as Marxists by association so if the shoe fits...
I looked at hundreds of images of the January 6th riots on Google images.  One guy had an 6mwe t-shirt and did not see the confederate flag.  Probably was a few, but there were hundreds of American Flags and Trump banners.  Not sure there is much evidence to suggest it was motivated by white supremists.  

As he should. Obviously.
No he shouldn't.  Neither of those groups are about white supremacy.  In fact, I believe they both welcome black members.  Are there racists within those groups?  Sure.  But that is not what the groups are about.  

I looked at hundreds of images of the January 6th riots on Google images.  One guy had an 6mwe t-shirt and did not see the confederate flag.  Probably was a few, but there were hundreds of American Flags and Trump banners.  Not sure there is much evidence to suggest it was motivated by white supremists.  
Dude. It is probably the single most popular picture. Either this one or the one of the dude sitting at Pelosi's desk

https://images.app.goo.gl/CBqzn6jaJozHgaM96

Igor Bobic @igorbobic

That’s the confederate flag flying outside the Senate chamber

https://twitter.com/igorbobic/status/1346902299466203145

Yet it was somehow also implied that the people chanting "Hang Mike Pence!" were just joking.  Maybe you should focus on what people actually say instead of trying to find implied meanings.

Dude. It is probably the single most popular picture. Either this one or the one of the dude sitting at Pelosi's desk

https://images.app.goo.gl/CBqzn6jaJozHgaM96
Sure, it is the MOST POPULAR image because it conveys the narrative that is being brainwashed into the minds.  The images are very selective to convey they message of violence and racism.  Even though those are like 0.1% of the story.  The reality being presented by the mainstream media is not representative of 99% of the people there.  Do a google search of just images from January 6th.  The vast majority of images show American flags.

Sure, it is the MOST POPULAR image because it conveys the narrative that is being brainwashed into the minds.  The images are very selective to convey they message of violence and racism.  Even though those are like 0.1% of the story.  The reality being presented by the mainstream media is not representative of 99% of the people there.  Do a google search of just images from January 6th.  The vast majority of images show American flags.
Ok so you knew of this image yet chose to say that you didn't see any confederate flags in your google searches. You really seem set on defending these oath keepers and proud boys, it is quite revealing.

Its popular because its the first time in U.S. history the Confederate Battle flag flew within the Capitol. 

But it's only one day. It didn't fly for 80,403 days and hasn't flown since January 6th. Thats like a really small percentage of the time
And it took a single Trump supporting "patriot" to break the streak.

In the context of the two Civil War era portraits on either side of it, it really is a historical photo.

From the desk of Donald Trump, loser of the 2020 election.

The poll also showed that 67% of Republicans said that they do not consider Sleepy Joe Biden to be the legitimate winner of the 2020 Presidential Election. I agree with them 100%, just look at the facts and the data—there is no way he won the 2020 Presidential Election!

Side note:

Joe Biden won the 2020 election by a margin so large that there is absolutely no question who won.

I was proud to stand shoulder to shoulder with Capitol police barricading entrance to our sacred House chamber, while trying to calm the situation talking to protestors. What I’m witnessing is a disgrace. We’re better than this. Violence is NEVER the answer. Law and order!

~Troy Nehls, Congressman

Dickies said:
I must suck at Google because I can’t find anything about Garland labeling the Oath Keepers as a white supremacist group.

I don’t understand how you can label the Charlottesville protest as anything other than racist. They were there to protest the removal of a confederate statue that was erected during the Jim Crow era. It really says something about these “right wing” and “pro-second amendment” groups that they didn’t go home once a parade of Nazis showed up at the protest. If Nazis showed up to protest alongside me I would self reflect on what I’m protesting. 
I don't know.   Maybe.   Try this out though:

I'm from Wisconsin.  Big fan of the GB Packers.   Reggie White was an amazing football player who helped us win our first Super Bowl in 30 years.  Without him signing as a free agent, we don't win a Super Bowl.   He also said some really offensive, racist stuff a few years after retiring.   So let's say there is a statue of him in Green Bay, and a few years from now a bunch of people want it removed because one time he said some racist stuff.  Would I support the teardown?   Would I go protest?  If I decided to protest --- because I love the team and worshipped Reggie the football player --- would that make my participation in the protest racist?  

It's really hard for me to understand the Southern pride stuff.   Especially how it's intertwined with slavery.   But.....there is a cultural heritage element that......it's just too simple to wave everything away by saying "oh, anyone who supports XYZ is racist."   Maybe that's just me.

That said, I do like the litmus test of "if you are protesting alongside Nazis, maybe take a minute to re-evaluate if you are on the right side of the protest."

IvanKaramazov said:
Being stupid is not a valid legal defense.

That said, I will agree with counsel that the defendants in this case are really, really stupid.
This post is a perfect example of when the laughing emoji is appropriate!!!

Dickies said:
They marched with torches the night before chanting "the Jews will not replace us."

I mean, this isn't a close call.  "White replacement" is white supremacy.

Last edited by a moderator:
They marched with torches the night before chanting "the Jews will not replace us."

I mean, this isn't a close call.  "White replacement" is white supremacy.
Nobody is denying there was not a significant number of racists groups there.   But there were also people there who just believed their culture was under attack.  I am not sure how prevelant each group was.  My experience is the media focuses on that which tends to exaggerate reality, but who knows.  Maybe they called it right for once.  

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread