What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is the team name "Buccaneers" a problem? (1 Viewer)

Do you think the Buccaneer team name is a problem?

• Absolutely not a problem

Votes: 83 79.8%
  • Probably not a problem

Votes: 13 12.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Probably a problem

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Absolutely a problem

Votes: 6 5.8%

• Total voters
jobarules said:
Yes. I also find the following football team names offensive:

• Patriots- offensive to non-citizens
  • Jets- offensive to 9/11 victims
  • Dolphins- offensive to whales
  • Bills- offensive to people named William
  • Steelers- named after criminals
  • Ravens- similar to crows and a group of crows is called a murder which is offensive
  • Bengals- non-inclusive of other types of tigers
  • Browns- offensive to hispanics
  • Titans- offensive to the Greek
  • Jaguars- offensive to leopards
  • Colts- offensive to mares
  • Texans- annexed from Mexico so offensive to Mexicans
  • Chiefs- offensive to Native Americans
  • Raiders- offensive to the people they raid
  • Chargers- offensive to environmentalists
  • Broncos- offensive to OJ Simpson's victims
  • Giants- offensive to little people
  • Eagles- offensive to mice
  • Cowboys- offensive to Indians
  • Packers- offensive to Amazon workers
  • Lions- offensive to lionesses
  • Bears- a group of bears is called a sloth and that's offensive to slow people
  • Vikings- offensive to all the people they pillaged
  • Falcons- also offensive to mice
  • Buccaneers- offensive to the victims of pirates
  • Saints- offensive to atheists
  • Panthers- offensive to the Black Panthers
  • 49ers- offensive to all the people who died in the gold rush movement
  • Seahawks- offensive to land hawks
  • Cardinals- offensive to bishops
  • Rams- offensive to the concussion protocols
Bravo

:lmao:

A modest proposal: let's eliminate all team names so we can stop having the same awful discussions over and over again. Yes, this is letting the terrorists win. But it's just so tiresome.
This is the correct answer. Not because of being offensive, but because team names are stupid.

Like schedules and relegation, another thing soccer does better.

Here’s the slippery slope that was inevitable.  How about the Tampa football team?  Plus we need to rename every school, street, building etc too..  

Here’s the slippery slope that was inevitable.  How about the Tampa football team?  Plus we need to rename every school, street, building etc too..  
IS NOTHING SACRED

No strong opinion here other than sports mascots have always been stupid.

Now that Trump is gone, the far left are bored. They have nothing better to do than to be offended. It's a disease that doesn't stop.

FairWarning said:
Obviously the Crusaders is a problem, Valparaiso University is changing their name.  With this sound logic, the Patriots will be soon to go.  

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/11/sports/valparaiso-drops-crusader-mascot.html
You don't think that Muslims might find an association with the crusades offensive?

At least one Valpo student did:

http://www.valpotorch.com/news/article_323f852e-6d12-11eb-a330-2ff31880718c.html

[...]

Jenna Rifai (‘21) felt the division created by the Crusader firsthand as a student. 

“As a Muslim, I was embarrassed to come to Valpo because the school’s mascot was a Crusader, even though my mom and older siblings went here before me,” Rifai said.

According to Rifai, it made her uncomfortable to think about crowds cheering for this mascot. 

“It’s like, in their minds do they accept me? Are they anti-Muslim?” she said. “I know it seems like a small little image but that image holds power. Symbols hold power.” 

[...]

You don't think that Muslims might find an association with the crusades offensive?

http://www.valpotorch.com/news/article_323f852e-6d12-11eb-a330-2ff31880718c.html

[...]

Jenna Rifai (‘21) felt the division created by the Crusader firsthand as a student. 

“As a Muslim, I was embarrassed to come to Valpo because the school’s mascot was a Crusader, even though my mom and older siblings went here before me,” Rifai said.

According to Rifai, it made her uncomfortable to think about crowds cheering for this mascot. 

“It’s like, in their minds do they accept me? Are they anti-Muslim?” she said. “I know it seems like a small little image but that image holds power. Symbols hold power.” 

[...]
Then why did she go there if she was so embarrassed?  My god the drama over an innocent school nickname 

[...]

[...]
I could see a day when the name Patriots is viewed as offensive.  Back in the day they were viewed as insurrectionists and terrorists.  And in today’s America some view the flag and the national anthem as triggering. The Colonials nickname has already been banished at a few colleges, as has the Pioneers.

I could see a day when the name Patriots is viewed as offensive.  Back in the day they were viewed as insurrectionists and terrorists.  And in today’s America some view the flag and the national anthem as triggering. The Colonials nickname has already been banished at a few colleges, as has the Pioneers.
I don't.   :coffee:

I think this is why in all the movies about the future everybody is just named after numbers and letters.  We all got so damn offended we just said FINE, NO NAMES JUST A SERIES OF LETTERS AND NUMBERS AT RANDOM!

Any proof they have been trying?

1993 - https://dailycollegian.com/2003/05/controversy-has-surrounded-minuteman-before/

Jones said in a rally on Oct. 13, 1993, that the Minuteman was racist and sexist because it portrays a “white man with a gun.” He believed it was a symbol for oppression and a representation of local militiamen slaughtering Native Americans in Amherst hundreds of years before...

Rallies both for and against keeping the Minuteman continued into November. At a pro-Minuteman rally on Oct. 27, The Collegian reported that student Dan Flynn called Jones a “Pied Piper of every fool on this campus.” The Collegian ran at least eight news articles and numerous opinion pieces on the issue between Oct. 13 and the end of the month.
2003 - https://dailycollegian.com/2003/04/umass-mascot-may-become-gray-wolves/

https://freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/908458/posts

It’s still in the embryonic stage, but the University of Massachusetts Athletic Department is considering replacing the Minutemen as the school’s athletic nickname with a more marketable moniker; the Gray Wolves... Witnesses say that most of the young women in the focus groups agreed that they didn’t feel represented by the Minuteman and wouldn’t wear apparel with Minutemen on it. According to another student athlete, most but not the entire group of about 15 agreed that a change was needed...

Last edited by a moderator:
From 1993 and 2003:

You said: "UMass has been trying to get rid of the Minutemen nickname for several years"  Several years would imply to most readers that this was something that happened a little more recently than 18 years ago. Almost two decades ago is pretty much ancient history. 

They've been trying to do away with the Minuteman for years. That's been a long-standing thing. I'm from that area. I remember it.

They're likely still trying to get traction to do away with the thing. It's Amherst, after all.

They've been trying to do away with the Minuteman for years. That's been a long-standing thing. I'm from that area. I remember it.

They're likely still trying to get traction to do away with the thing. It's Amherst, after all.
If so, there is no evidence of it. Seems to have been a dead issue since 2003. 

Surprisingly, the guy who copies and pastes everything from Twitter isn't easily persuaded by stuff like logic and evidence.
Hard to be persuaded that this is a current issue or concern when the most recent evidence anyone has provided is from 2003. 

[...]

As a Muslim, I was embarrassed to come to Valpo because the school’s mascot was a Crusader, even though my mom and older siblings went here before me,” Rifai said.

[...]
I just have to laugh at the bolded. Is there anybody from this family who didn't go to this anti-muslim school?

There is a local HS that has the name "Chiefs"  So an 11th grade whitey decided her mission is to get the school to change the name.   When she spoke her reason was "Well the people who go here call themselves Chiefs"  "When students and alumni call themselves Chiefs it makes the people who are actual Chiefs jobs marginilized and not important."    First time I have heard that reason.

I guess the old saying is true when they say too many Chiefs and not enough Indians.

Are the Hawaii Rainbow Warriors in trouble? Are they appropriating homosexuals? Are people offended yet?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah.... just name everyone the "City" "Sport"  club/team.  Everyone can just wear plain, mono-chromatic uniforms with block lettering and no logos like we're all playing 1st grade recreational soccer. 

But maybe THAT will be considered "offensive" one day, as not everyone who lives in the city supports the team, so naming the team "after the entire city" will be considered dismissive of those that dont root for them.

Or maybe the term "club" will be offensive because not everyone is allowed to join it, so that term is now anti-inclusion.

And we can't have "fight songs", because that promotes violence.

Just so absurdly stupid. People need so badly to just get a life.

I understand the concern and change surrounding Native American nicknames.   Because....ya know....genocide.  And I can also see why people would be offended by Crusaders.  Everything else? Go pound sand.

Yeah.... just name everyone the "City" "Sport"  club/team.  Everyone can just wear plain, mono-chromatic uniforms with block lettering and no logos like we're all playing 1st grade recreational soccer. 

But maybe THAT will be considered "offensive" one day, as not everyone who lives in the city supports the team, so naming the team "after the entire city" will be considered dismissive of those that dont root for them.

Or maybe the term "club" will be offensive because not everyone is allowed to join it, so that term is now anti-inclusion.

And we can't have "fight songs", because that promotes violence.

Just so absurdly stupid. People need so badly to just get a life.

I understand the concern and change surrounding Native American nicknames.   Because....ya know....genocide.  And I can also see why people would be offended by Crusaders.  Everything else? Go pound sand.
I heard this speech before, it was the pregame speech for the Utah Swastikas. They lost the game (couldn’t defend the perimeter) which ended up being the beginning of the end of their reign. 

Users who are viewing this thread