What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mass shooting in chicago (1 Viewer)

Nah. There is actually backlash against covering these incidents. There are actually groups out there that argue that black crime gets over covered. Or that white criminals get sheltered. 
This is news to me. Can you provide an example of news reporting of black on black crime that received backlash? 

I am talking in general.   We can find examples of someone or some group thinking just about anything.  Just saying in general the news is feeding us what we want and what is giving them clicks.  

And yes, there are some that are a lot better than others.  just odd the obsession over Fox and CNN when we have talked over and over about why they aren't great places to go for news.  
Mmm Hmm. We aren't interested in listening; only talking. and only about what we want to hear. Our media represents those wants.

Last week I pointed out that it was the New York Times that exposed the stories about Governor Cuomo, both the nursing home scandal and the sexual accusations. Why would they do this if they had an agenda to protect liberals? I got no almost no response from the usual suspects in this forum; a few offered that “well, they covered it up for a long time until they finally had to report it!” offering no evidence whatsoever to back up this charge- because they NEVER have evidence. Only anecdotal questions as to why this story was reported vs this other one, such as this thread. Questions which almost always have answers that do NOT involve liberal bias. 
It’s very frustrating. There appears to be no way to convince thoughtful conservatives that this whole liberal bias thing is a fantasy. They seem to need to believe this, against all evidence. It’s become a matter of faith IMO. 
Pretty easy answer.  Because the left eat their own when they wander off the plantation.  Cuomo is an embarrassment to their agenda, so they eliminate him.  

Last week I pointed out that it was the New York Times that exposed the stories about Governor Cuomo
This is a very shortsighted and/or just inaccurate statement. His own AG leaked it to the press on a conference call and it was a group call. To not follow up on it would have put the Times way behind their competitors. They really had no choice.

Stop trying to shoehorn everything into your agenda. Fetch isn't going to work.

The AG, in doing so, basically took tablets to the mountaintop and hollered about them. And the AG is his own party. You couldn't miss this story anymore than I could have missed that deer I hit a decade ago on the way home to New Haven. 

I know it was her words that burned him, but i thought access to it came from one of the local politicians on the call. 
I misread the original story. You've got it correct. She told lawmakers on the phone, one went to press. And it was the secretary of his office, considered one of the most powerful people in NY State, according to Business Insider. In addition, the AG had published its own report stating that Cuomo's office had undercounted deaths in the state.

Here is the relevant paragraph from Business Insider...

Melissa DeRosa, the secretary to the governor and widely considered to be one of the most powerful New York state officials, told lawmakers on a video call Wednesday that the administration withheld additional death totals while facing both federal and state inquiries. The New York Post reported details of the call Thursday night.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty easy answer.  Because the left eat their own when they wander off the plantation.  Cuomo is an embarrassment to their agenda, so they eliminate him.  
"the left" doesn't do anything, people on the left do.  we've seen people on the right calling for firings when they speak against the typical talking points too.  

This is news to me. Can you provide an example of news reporting of black on black crime that received backlash? 
This is what happens in Chicago - it’ll get some good play for a day locally, then fade away.  There will be a press conference from an outraged head of police and the mayor about guns.  The Sun Times will soon write about the racist cops in a unrelated story.  Basically nothing will get done. 

You mean beside the example i already cited that you deleted out in this reply? 

All you would have to do is google. I will even give you a roadmap. 

Colorofchange...mediamatters..campus police....race removed from crime reports

Should be a bunch of info there for you.

You mean beside the example i already cited that you deleted out in this reply? 

All you would have to do is google. I will even give you a roadmap. 

Colorofchange...mediamatters..campus police....race removed from crime reports

Should be a bunch of info there for you.
I’m unaware of deleting any link out of your post There wasn’t one. 
And I still don’t know what backlash you’re referring to. 

This is a very shortsighted and/or just inaccurate statement. His own AG leaked it to the press on a conference call and it was a group call. To not follow up on it would have put the Times way behind their competitors. They really had no choice. 

Stop trying to shoehorn everything into your agenda. Fetch isn't going to work.
Just stop with this. You’re far too smart a guy to think that they’re out to hide news. They also broke the Hillary email story, which perhaps more than any other factor caused Trump to get elected. 
The New York Times is a fair, reliable source of news. You need to accept this. 

That was my point. We agree. 
As a general rule, whenever you hear any accusation that the mainstream media is behaving in an insidious, deliberate political manner, there’s usually another explanation. Its a pretty tiresome meme. 
So we assume cops have an agenda and are subject to biases.  Judges we know have them , indeed they are picked for them .  But the press?  No sir, no agenda no biases.   Just click bait and revenue.  High - larious!

So we assune cops have an agenda and are subject to biases.  Judges we know have them , indeed they are picked for them .  But the press?  No sir, no agenda no biases.   Just click bait and revenue.  High - larious!
No I don’t assume any of that. Let me spell it out for you: 

Some cops have an agenda. There is, unfortunately, institutionalized racism within many of our police forces and we need to address that. A lot of it is unconscious, not deliberate. And some are bad cops. But most police are good people (heroes IMO) with no agenda whatsoever other than to protect you and I. 

Many judges have particular political convictions but most try to be fair and have great integrity, IMO, particularly in the higher courts. 

Some journalists have an agenda. Most simply try to report the news fairly and objectively, amd leave the agendas to the opinion makers. 

It doesn’t get ratings. Just like when a black girl goes missing, that doesn’t get ratings. Unless black protestors bring these issues to our attention, blacks people are generally invisible in our society, as are all minorities. It’s very sad. 
Absolutely untrue.  We had, unfortunately, one of these locally.  Cupcake McKinney was all over the news for months, both locally and nationally.

There was huge outrage and outpouring of support from everyone around here.  

-----

The issue with Chicago shootings is they are omnipresent.  Only 2 killed isn't a big headline for the city.  Unfortunate reality.

Absolutely untrue.  We had, unfortunately, one of these locally.  Cupcake McKinney was all over the news for months, both locally and nationally.

There was huge outrage and outpouring of support from everyone around here.  

-----

The issue with Chicago shootings is they are omnipresent.  Only 2 killed isn't a big headline for the city.  Unfortunate reality.
Sorry I’ve never heard of Cupcake. If she were white and blond and disappeared in Aruba, I probably couldn’t have helped hear of her. Or perhaps if she were white and blond and appeared in little girl beauty pageants, she would have become a household name. 

The tone of this post seems to imply that this is a bad thing.  

The right had a guy lying about covid and with dozens of sexual assault allegations. Instead of turning on him they tried to re-elect him and built a golden statue to celebrate him.

Just stop with this. You’re far too smart a guy to think that they’re out to hide news. They also broke the Hillary email story, which perhaps more than any other factor caused Trump to get elected. 
The New York Times is a fair, reliable source of news. You need to accept this. 
This is not correct, to the best of my ability. New York Post reported Feb. 11th on the hidden deaths.

From Politico:

The comments — first reported Thursday evening by the New York Post, which obtained a recording of the call — drew widespread criticism across New York on Friday and prompted an effort by Cuomo aides to reframe DeRosa’s remarks.

That's two sources that have reported on the Post's reporting. Stop it, tim. You're pushing an agenda and I don't like you being wrong about what I'm certain about. It's a bully move.

Sorry I’ve never heard of Cupcake. If she were white and blond and disappeared in Aruba, I probably couldn’t have helped hear of her. Or perhaps if she were white and blond and appeared in little girl beauty pageants, she would have become a household name. 
The coverage of Natalee and Cupcake were very similar initially.  The difference being that the culprits responsible for Cupcake were found reasonably quickly (as was her body).  Natalee is still somewhat of a mystery, so it ended up with a big following due to it's longevity.

At least locally the coverage was equitable.  Maybe it's just the racist reporters your way that are responsible for burying one and promoting the other.

Dude, seriously, you think that the NYT should not be considered a fair, reliable source of news based on their reporting of The Russian Revolution, 1917–1920?   :mellow:
Duranty was through at least in the late thirties, and won his Pulitzer in '32. You used to get pissed when I'd bring him up, so you ought to know this. It was the NYT typically scrubbing all the real reports from Moscow in favor of Duranty's, who hoodwinked them.

He's just many in a long line of fabulists to have caught the Times's eye. And the New York Times DID NOT BREAK THE CUOMO STORY, TIM. STOP SAYING THAT.

Duranty was through at least in the late thirties, and won his Pulitzer in '32. You used to get pissed when I'd bring him up, so you ought to know this. It was the NYT typically scrubbing all the real reports from Moscow in favor of Duranty's, who hoodwinked them.

He's just many in a long line of fabulists to have caught the Times's eye. And the New York Times DID NOT BREAK THE CUOMO STORY, TIM. STOP SAYING THAT.
No, I never got pissed because I hadn't heard of Duranty in my life until your post of a few minutes ago.

And the New York Times DID NOT BREAK THE CUOMO STORY, TIM. STOP SAYING THAT.
Maybe I’m wrong. You know where I heard that? Fox News Sunday, from Chris Wallace. So maybe he’s wrong. But he interviewed the reporter who, according to Wallace “broke the story.” So I don’t know what to tell you. I didn’t make it up. 

My main point is that the New York Times is a trustworthy source. Of course they have controversies: any newspaper that important (and historically it may be the most important source of news of all time) is going to have controversies. Doesn’t change their overall reliability factor which is as high as it gets. 

This is a very shortsighted and/or just inaccurate statement. His own AG leaked it to the press on a conference call and it was a group call. To not follow up on it would have put the Times way behind their competitors. They really had no choice.
I think this actually shows that bias at The NY Times is much less serious than at right wing publications.  Fox News wasn’t worried about being “way behind their competitors” in breaking negative stories about Trump.

No I don’t assume any of that. Let me spell it out for you: 

Some cops have an agenda. There is, unfortunately, institutionalized racism within many of our police forces and we need to address that. A lot of it is unconscious, not deliberate. And some are bad cops. But most police are good people (heroes IMO) with no agenda whatsoever other than to protect you and I. 

Many judges have particular political convictions but most try to be fair and have great integrity, IMO, particularly in the higher courts. 

Some journalists have an agenda. Most simply try to report the news fairly and objectively, amd leave the agendas to the opinion makers. 
There is far more institutionalized liberalism in the media than institutionalized racism in policing. 

How in the world could anyone prove or disprove that? Comparing apples and cantaloupes. 
Pretty easy.  Police forces are racially diversified matching their communities. Mainstream media source are dominated by leftwing people, with outrageously  about 20 percent who think AOC is too far right.

Based on your rather amazing interpretation of what happened on January 6, it would not be a stretch to conclude that your sense of reality is far removed from mine. 
As we get further away from Jan 6th and we learn more, my assessment was far closer to reality than the hyperventilating hyperbole the media spewed. 

Maybe I’m wrong. You know where I heard that? Fox News Sunday, from Chris Wallace. So maybe he’s wrong. But he interviewed the reporter who, according to Wallace “broke the story.” So I don’t know what to tell you. I didn’t make it up. 

Hmmmm....

Here is the link to all of the Fox news sunday trancripts...

If I do a search among the transcripts for New york times it does not yield the results you suggest. If I do a search for Cuomo, 4 episodes since the story broke have discussed the Cuomo scandal. None of them had any reporters from the New York times. It is 5 episodes total since the story broke(Feb 11th). All you need to do is ctrl f search. It takes less than a minute to do all five transcripts so which one of these episodes has this interview?

Not sure backlash is the right term.   Indifference to blacks killing blacks might be a better term. News outlets really don`t care about these stories as they do not get ratings or clicks so they just gloss over them.    Now if it was a white shooter then it would be a big story.   Kinda sad when you think about it as people are dying by whoever does the shooting.

Hmmmm....

Here is the link to all of the Fox news sunday trancripts...

If I do a search among the transcripts for New york times it does not yield the results you suggest. If I do a search for Cuomo, 4 episodes since the story broke have discussed the Cuomo scandal. None of them had any reporters from the New York times. It is 5 episodes total since the story broke(Feb 11th). All you need to do is ctrl f search. It takes less than a minute to do all five transcripts so which one of these episodes has this interview?
Really???

I get accused of having too much time on my hands but this is incredible. All I can tell you is that I saw it about a week and a half ago. I’m not going to research it, I’m not going to study your link. If you want to conclude that I made it up, that’s up to you. 

Not sure backlash is the right term.   Indifference to blacks killing blacks might be a better term. News outlets really don`t care about these stories as they do not get ratings or clicks so they just gloss over them.    Now if it was a white shooter then it would be a big story.   Kinda sad when you think about it as people are dying by whoever does the shooting.
I agree with this but it’s quite different from backlash. 

Really???

I get accused of having too much time on my hands but this is incredible. All I can tell you is that I saw it about a week and a half ago. I’m not going to research it, I’m not going to study your link. If you want to conclude that I made it up, that’s up to you. 
I knew you would weasle out and try and make this excuse. That's why I explained exactly how long it would take.

You clearly lied about it. 

Backlash is the correct term. If anybody really wants to learn about a great example of it just follow along the route I outlined using google. Takes no time at all and you can see that actual policy changes in how crimes are reported have resulted from it. 

I didn’t make anything up. I didn’t lie. 
Sunday mornings, I like to listen to either Meet The Press or Fox News Sunday while I’m on the treadmill. It’s kind of a ritual for me. I like both Wallace and Todd so I tend to alternate. I don’t watch; I listen on Tune In radio. 
This was about a week and a half ago. I was positive that I was listening to Fox but now you have me questioning my memory- perhaps it was Chuck Todd. So now you can feel free to research Meet the Press as well. If nothing comes up there then I don’t know what to tell you. I don’t appreciate being called a liar and I stand by what I wrote about the New York Times . 

I think this actually shows that bias at The NY Times is much less serious than at right wing publications.  Fox News wasn’t worried about being “way behind their competitors” in breaking negative stories about Trump.
I do not disagree with this at all. I think Fox News and other right-wing "news" sources have completely jumped the shark. Where I can count on the Times for basic fact reporting, I cannot with the other outlets. I think tim overstates my opinion about their selection of stories and their narrative thrust because he thinks I'm a reasonable conservative. I think he should see that the NYT has a liberal bias because as a former conservative, he ought to be able to spot it like Waldo among pastels.

I don’t appreciate being called a liar and I stand by what I wrote about the New York Times .
I don't think I said you lied. I said you were wrong. And you used the point as evidence of another point to be made, thereby negating it by its wrongness. The NY Post broke the story, according to Politico and Business Insider. It has the earliest date of the cover-up story. It was broken. The NYT hopped on when Cuomo was punchdrunk.  

I don't think I said you lied. I said you were wrong. And you used the point as evidence of another point to be made, thereby negating it by its wrongness. The NY Post broke the story, according to Politico and Business Insider. It has the earliest date of the cover-up story. It was broken. The NYT hopped on when Cuomo was punchdrunk.  
@parasaurolophus accused me of lying. 

Users who are viewing this thread