What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Ja'Marr Chase, CIN (3 Viewers)

King of the Jungle said:
Week one Justin Jefferson will show him what a stud is. I would be shocked if Chase ends up with over 50 yards.
Well, if preseason is any indicator, I have to agree with you.  I suppose he will have to figure it out on the fly.

NFL Week 1 fantasy football questions and answers: 32 reporters give advice on Julio Jones, Ravens running backs, more

Excerpt:

Will the preseason drops have any impact on the role of Ja'Marr Chase?

Preseason drops? No. Chase's struggles since he arrived in Cincinnati shouldn't affect how often he is targeted. In fact, it probably means Chase will get some targets early so he can build rhythm and some confidence. However, if he can't reel in those passes, then his usage could take a hit the rest of the game and beyond. -- Ben Baby

This is something to factor into your ranking but not overwhelming. It is worth factoring because usually where there is smoke there is fire and usually men who abuse don't stop.  On the other hand, it never made it to a legal complaint so probably nothing happens this time.

This is something to factor into your ranking but not overwhelming. It is worth factoring because usually where there is smoke there is fire and usually men who abuse don't stop.  On the other hand, it never made it to a legal complaint so probably nothing happens this time.
No one knows if anything happened at all. Even the deleted tweet was a bit cryptic and didn’t say anything really.

Where there's smoke there's fire. I'm glad JC got paid. But a year off as a young kid being told you're the greatest, you're gonna be rich, etc.. isn't good in most cases. It's why I shied away in dynasty drafts where I had a shot to draft him. And if you look at CIN, what vets are going to sit his ### down and show him the ropes? Tyler Boyd? 

Everyone in the NFL is talented. It's a competitive environment. He's going to learn quickly that he has to work hard and stay clean on/off the field. I'm not rooting against him and am not going to draw conclusions after a few preseason games. But he is clearly trending down. 

Thanks to his preseason I was able to land him on both of my leagues. The kid is special. Plus he has his college QB throwing him the rock. They are both studs!

Ja'Marr Chase caught 5-of-7 targets for 101 yards and a touchdown in the Bengals' Week 1 loss to the Vikings.

Chase was maligned by drops throughout the preseason but didn't struggle in the slightest during his NFL debut. He totaled 50 yards on a single throw from Joe Burrow. Chase simply out-ran his defender on a deep route and Burrow took the layup with ease. The first-round rookie led the Bengals in targets while Tee Higgins saw five looks. Tyler Boyd was targeted four times. It's too early to anoint Chase as the WR1 in Cincinnati but the conversation is looming. 

Sep 12, 2021, 4:52 PM ET

Higgins was dehydrated and missed part of the game.

Burrow was going to Chase on 3rd down a lot though so that's a good sign of their trust in him on the money downs.

Ja'Marr Chase caught 2-of-4 targets for 54 yards and a touchdown in the Bengals' Week 2 loss to the Bears.

The fifth overall pick didn't do much for most of the day, but he saved his fantasy day by reeling in a 42-yard touchdown in the fourth quarter. That was pretty much the story of the game for Cincinnati, as Joe Burrow and company struggled all day long before finally putting together a couple of drives late in the game. Chase has a difficult matchup against the Steelers in Week 3, but he's in the flex conversation nonetheless.

Sep 19, 2021, 4:08 PM ET

@JayMorrisonATH

Chase now the 9th player in NFL history to catch at TD pass in each of his first three games in the league.

Last edited by a moderator:
A great example of why not to overrate the preseason. It still didn't seem like he slid in any of my more redraft leagues though.

Ja'Marr Chase caught 6-of-9 targets for 77 yards in the Bengals' Week 4 win over the Jaguars. 

Although tonight was Chase's first scoreless effort as a pro, he set new season highs in catches and targets. Chase was doing excellent work in tight spaces, winning hand fights and making contested grabs. His college chemistry with Joe Burrow was on full display. Chase did get a little too feisty at one point, drawing an obvious OPI call. Flashing his dominant physical attributes while making big plays, Chase is pushing for every-week WR2 status even with Tee Higgins (shoulder) expected to return for next week's game against the Packers. 

Sep 30, 2021, 11:58 PM ET

Came up big in some big moments last night, maybe a tad below Boyd in regards to trusting him in big moments, but wow he has played great in 4 games this year. I love how Burrow can kind of just put it out there and he some how goes and gets it. His 2nd gear is ridiculous. Almost like oh no you are overthrowing him and then Chase runs and gets it somehow on those deep routes as he blows past the CB. 

Came up big in some big moments last night, maybe a tad below Boyd in regards to trusting him in big moments, but wow he has played great in 4 games this year. I love how Burrow can kind of just put it out there and he some how goes and gets it. His 2nd gear is ridiculous. Almost like oh no you are overthrowing him and then Chase runs and gets it somehow on those deep routes as he blows past the CB. 
He is playing much better than I expected and I have to admit that I was wrong about him.  He should take over as the true WR1 for the Bengals this season.  

I remember when this guy was having such a bad summer he looked like a bust

dropping everything, couldn’t catch the NFL ball, losing at social media 

that was a long time ago eh

Ja'Marr Chase caught 6-of-10 targets for 159 yards and one score in Cincinnati's Week 5 loss to the Packers.

With his 70-yard touchdown — his fifth of the year, all of which have come from 30-plus yards out — to cap the first half, Chase became the third rookie to record five receiving scores within a team’s first five games of a season since 1990, joining Calvin Ridley (6) and Randy Moss (6). He led the team in targets (10, 26.3%) even with Tee Higgins (5/32) back in the lineup Sunday, physically dominating any corner he was matched against while showing his agility by, at one point, walking a tightrope along the sideline for a toe-tapping reception to move the chains in OT. A big play waiting to happen with the utmost confidence from his quarterback, Chase will again rank as a fringe WR1/2 in next week's friendly matchup against the Lions.

Oct 10, 2021, 4:27 PM ET

Remember, the new media darling Trevon Diggs was abused by Chase in 2019.  This train is full steam ahead.  

This video is great.  I remember in the off-season when EBF posted his rookie rankings he was worried about Chase not getting separation from the defender.  The video breaks this down and more; worth the watch.

https://youtu.be/wM3YbLBhwcE
Wild. It's interesting he says how he's running at sixty percent at times and then speeding up. I'd noticed that on television watching him that he's not blazing all the time. 

As far as EBF goes, though. Chase only averages about 1.8 seconds of separation, which is pretty low compared to other guys in his yardage accrued category. Young man also only has 41 or so targets, so this sort of production with that sort of targeting is unsustainable. 

Still glad I picked him 1.01 in the rookie draft we had, though. Traded up just to get him. 

In the one redraft league I got him in, he was my wr5 (Diggs, Lockett, Aiyuk, M Thomas), he’s my WR1 at this point.  BLESSED

Whelp, there goes any small shred of a chance I had to buy this dude in the leagues where I don't already have him (which thankfully is several).  What a stud.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread