What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2022 World Cup Thread*** (2 Viewers)

In the past, Australia have had a few EPL level guys who I recognized. this team doesn't have any players whose names are familiar to me.

skimming the roster, they're a mix of Aussie league and lower tier leagues, plus a guy that plays at Frankfurt. no Juve/Barca/Chelsea level players here... or even Lille, Fulham, Valencia or or similar. 

that said... UAE look the frostier side heading into the half- better quality chances and a little quicker on the ball, even if Aussie controlled much of the game.

1-0 in the 53rd, gotta say it's against the run of play and on a weirdly broken play... but ultimately taken very well.

set piece stunner... corner was cleared out, but volley smashed back in by the Frankfurt Aussie... 2-1 in the 85th.

Aussie on to meet Peru. (eta- in 6 days)

a lot of unhappy men in the stands.

both Aussie women seem happy though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Paul Kennedy

@pkedit

L'Equipe reports that FIFA hasn't made a decision on whether teams will bring 23 or 26 players to World Cup. Lots of talk at team seminars before draw about taking 26 players ... but it isn't a sure thing at all. More discussion expected next week. IFAB AGM is Monday in Doha.

Flight and accommodations purchased. Can’t wait, but must admit the sausage fest is a concern of mine as a single male. Hopefully a few women make the trip.

Flight and accommodations purchased. Can’t wait, but must admit the sausage fest is a concern of mine as a single male. Hopefully a few women make the trip.
you might see both of those Aussie women there- say, G'day! for me!

Chile's attempt to have Ecuador excluded from the WC due to an illegal player has been officially rejected by FIFA. Ecuador will play in the WC.

One match for each spot.
Australia v Peru today
Costa Rica v New Zealand tomorrow

Was going to come in here to ask how people are rooting on these.  Mainly Costa Rica - do we want another CONCACAF team in the WC?  Does that help us in any way?  Or do we hate the Ticos and hope they crash out?

I guess if there's some WC qualifying coefficient that benefits us down the road I will root for CR, otherwise I don't really care.

Was going to come in here to ask how people are rooting on these.  Mainly Costa Rica - do we want another CONCACAF team in the WC?  Does that help us in any way?  Or do we hate the Ticos and hope they crash out?

I guess if there's some WC qualifying coefficient that benefits us down the road I will root for CR, otherwise I don't really care.
More CONCACAF in the WC the better, IMO.

More CONCACAF in the WC the better, IMO.

Just trying to understand the rationale though - is it a regional thing (SEC! SEC!) or do you think it somehow benefits the US team (maybe dual nationals are more prone to pick the US, the quality of the region all goes up together)?

Peru playing with fire.

Australia has looked pretty good but they are really running themselves in to the ground a little.  Peru staying very patient.

The way Australia is flying around I could see them getting a red at some point.

If my counting is correct, the matches today and tomorrow will determine the largest number regarding language spoken by teams at the Word Cup.
I have English and Spanish sitting at 5 each.
England, Canada, USA, Wales and per wiki Ghana with English as its official language.
Spain, Argentina, Ecuador, Uruguay and Mexico.

Peru and Costa Rica could increase the Spanish count.  Australia and New Zealand could increase the English count.

I don't like to use the term "hate" when it comes to sports, but would say I dislike the Ticos and take pleasure when they lose and fail, preferably in shameful fashion.

I've been working (including just coming out of a meeting) with this on muted in the background... so I haven't exactly been paying close attention. but I haven't seen either team actually challenge the other GK and force a save.

I've been working (including just coming out of a meeting) with this on muted in the background... so I haven't exactly been paying close attention. but I haven't seen either team actually challenge the other GK and force a save.
Australia has had a few kicks on goal, none for Peru 

Just trying to understand the rationale though - is it a regional thing (SEC! SEC!) or do you think it somehow benefits the US team (maybe dual nationals are more prone to pick the US, the quality of the region all goes up together)?

Before the WC expansion, we always wanted as many teams as possible in the WC from Concacaf and we also wanted them to do well as it had a real life effect on FIFA's decisions for how many qualifying spots Concacaf got.

But now after expansion, Concacaf is going to have way more spots than should ever effect the US again.

I talked about watching Aussie vs UAE... another pretty bleak affair, punctuated by a moment of class on Aussie's volley winner, but otherwise- bleh. sucks we have to have one of these two coming instead of Ukraine.

Grats to any Oz posters here but as soon as we flipped over from our U21 game right as pens started and we saw they made a keeper sub with the sole plan of putting Peru off, I was wanting them to lose. No justice in this game

Users who are viewing this thread