What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official 2022 college football thread: its conference realignment season. (1 Viewer)

IMO, bringing in SC and to some extent UCLA,  was meant to lure them in.  If B1G has Stanford on line 2 ready to jump to them, then ND's going to have to get off the schneid and do something.  If they're not careful, they could a conference of 1 that no other conference has room for.
Stanford is not getting an invite to B1G over Oregon/UW.  Fan support at Stanford is awful and so is tv viewership.  Only chance Stanford gets in is their tie with Notre Dame.

Stanford is not getting an invite to B1G over Oregon/UW.  Fan support at Stanford is awful and so is tv viewership.  Only chance Stanford gets in is their tie with Notre Dame.
Stanford would be in for academics and the Olympic sports in particular. Football is as you describe though for sure. 

Stanford would be in for academics and the Olympic sports in particular. Football is as you describe though for sure. 
Plus Stanford >>>>>>> Oregon and Washington in academics.  It would also a small +EV in terms of San Francisco market.

That's why they'd get in.  ND would have zero excuses to saying no.  Their rivals UM, MSU, and Purdue would also then have Stanford and SC in the conference.  Unless they're so hung up on their "rivalry" with Navy, there's literally ZERO reason to stay out.  Plus, FOX :moneybag: >>> NBC.  Plus, they don't have any of their games on the Peacock Network that like 50 non-WWE people subscribe to.

I'd like to think the Domers are halfways intelligent, but they did hire Gerry Faust as a HC.

Lot of people are tweeting stuff like this. The reality is the two Cali schools were rumored to come in and then accepted on the same day and nobody, at all, had any idea. It’ll be the same with the next move. 
For sure, lots of rumors going around

Capella said:
Lot of people are tweeting stuff like this. The reality is the two Cali schools were rumored to come in and then accepted on the same day and nobody, at all, had any idea. It’ll be the same with the next move. 
Everybody has a source; everybody also has a rear end too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Notre Dame and Oregon at +150 to get invjte to B1G in 2022

Washingon +600

Kansas +1400

Cincy +1500

Stanford +2000

Bovada out here stealing people's money.

Kansas?!?  The Bearcats?

I wonder what the B1G makes of Phil Knight.  Not sure that his big footprint helps the Ducks here tbh.

Cannot remember where I read it but there was an excellent point.  If USC and UCLA had no problem joining w/o any western running mates - so how hard would they really push to add them after the fact?  B1G can take its sweet time for sure.

-QG

Bovada out here stealing people's money.

Kansas?!?  The Bearcats?

I wonder what the B1G makes of Phil Knight.  Not sure that his big footprint helps the Ducks here tbh.

Cannot remember where I read it but there was an excellent point.  If USC and UCLA had no problem joining w/o any western running mates - so how hard would they really push to add them after the fact?  B1G can take its sweet time for sure.

-QG
Sounds like they are waiting on an answer from Notre Dame, if Notre Dame says yes Oregon likely gets in with Notre Dame.  Of course, Notre Dame may wait a year or two so they don't have to pay the large exit fee from ACC.  They would more than make it up though through B1G revenue.  Who knows.  I agree that seeing Kansas and Cincy was strange.

Mel Tucker sighting in ATL at the Braves game tonight. He was on the phone when he walked by me. Either doing some recruiting or engaging in talks with the GT AD

Just one aspect but i do think Licensed Sales reflect the fanbase size vs other schools pretty well.

• Oregon typically is top 15, stronger online than at wholesale...similar overall to Kentucky.
  • UCLA typically is edge of top 40...terrible at wholesale...similar overall to Pitt. 

-QG

USC wasn't gonna come with Oregon though.  And USC was the key for sure 

-QG

Some reports that USC would actively lobby (or already has) against Oregon joining the B1G, as they see themselves as gaining a recruiting advantage in So Cal over the only other West Coast school that has regularly taken top guys from down there. 

Former Liberty University senior class president Chelsea Andrews  sued her alma mater over (I’m guessing) covering up her rape. 
Guess who slides into her DMs? Hugh Freeze.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some reports that USC would actively lobby (or already has) against Oregon joining the B1G, as they see themselves as gaining a recruiting advantage in So Cal over the only other West Coast school that has regularly taken top guys from down there. 

Yeah at the least I don't think USC would be saying "hey ya gotta bring the Ducks with us" and that surely the way it went it down with full secrecy follows your point.

I don't think the B1G would let USC have a "veto" per se (very much about the group and all for one and one for all and all that).  But USC and UCLA on their own probably move the $ enough to make the addition or Oregon (and the logical companions of Washington or Stanford) not even a wash on the average $.  (I excluded ND as an Oregon 'partner' largely bc Stanford might be the school ND would require - and any pair with ND would move the needle enough regardless of who it is).

Right now it is a game of chicken between the Big XII and the PAC.  It is amazing to think how much things have turned since 12 years ago when they nearly became the PAC 16

-QG

Wouldn't be surprised to see an SEC addtion.

Big XII doesn't want to merge with PAC 12

So they had 3 rounds of zoom calls to discuss various plans - one of which is a full merger and the Big XII ultimately said thanks but not thanks.  Part of me wonders if the Big XII really was just poking and prodding to try to get some dissension going for a potential cherry picking of the schools they would really want.  Whether they can pull that off or not is an open question.  If the 4 corners do make the move it really puts UO and UW in a rough spot given that the B1G and SEC seem to be in no hurry to make a move and the ACC has its hands tied as they wouldn't want to reopen that lengthy GOR.

If those 4 go to the Big XII does that change the state of California's posture on UCLA?  Gotta think that ultimately they can't let UCLA leave those dollars on the table

-QG

The Big XII is for sure the less attractive option for UW and Oregon - even the Big XII knows this but this is peak leverage time for l them to pull those schools in (by adding 4 corners).  A Pac 6 with no good options puts the 2 northwest schools in a lurch as the only available options for them may be independence or reluctantly getting pull in to the Big XII.

Those two may want the B1G but if it doesn't grow the pie enough for their liking (on a per school basis remember) the B1G has no obligation to save them.  For the 14 schools in the east an average of 2 trips to Southern California every 3 years has appeal.  Cut that back to 1 out of 2 years with the other trip being to Oregon/Seattle  you have more travel with less bang for the buck.

It's nothing against those 2 schools - they just have been put in a tough spot by the order of events.

Side note - in the unlikely event UCLA gets blocked I wouldn't automatically put UO in that vacated spot.  Might be cleaner to pull the private school (Stanford) without worrying about state govs worried about a baby brother school.  It also replaces one ND rival with another 

UO and UW may deserve a better fate but then again so did UConn when the Big East died.

-QG

Side note - in the unlikely event UCLA gets blocked I wouldn't automatically put UO in that vacated spot.  Might be cleaner to pull the private school (Stanford) without worrying about state govs worried about a baby brother school.  It also replaces one ND rival with another 
Big Ten did this for an increase in LA tv rights for the Big Ten network, which will pull across all of California most likely because those are the two big brands. They don’t care about Stanford or Oregon at all. 

Capella said:
Big Ten did this for an increase in LA tv rights for the Big Ten network, which will pull across all of California most likely because those are the two big brands. They don’t care about Stanford or Oregon at all. 

Agree (and for those w/o a notebook handy I am a B1G alum) just conjecturing what the B1G would do if somehow the state of California were to scuttle UCLA moving to the B1G.  Hard pressed to think the B1G would stay with 15 teams in that event given they want a 9-game conference schedule.  That is the one way I can see Stanford getting the nod.  (The one other unlikely path for Stanford would be if ND joined the big and indicated that Stanford was their preferred partner).

Craziest scenario would be the 4 corner schools depart for the Big XII while UCLA gets gets prevented from switching lol.  That has like a 0.02% chance of happening but something for chaos fans to root for.

The next shoe to drop oddly enough could be San Diego State.  They are seen as the most logical Southern California addition to the PAC but if the Big XII feels frisky to they add the Aztecs to try to outflank the PAC and keep up pressure on them?

-QG

Users who are viewing this thread