What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official Jaguars Thread - Team Putting #DTWD to The Test *** (2 Viewers)

I am not understanding the lack of love for Cecil Shorts in some fantasy circles. In his 8 healthy games as a starter last year he was 41 for 722 and 5 TDs. Those are top 5ish numbers projected out to 16 games depending on the scoring system. Yet I see him list as a WR3 with upside by some.
I don't have any real answers, but I think hes a by-product of how people view the Jags, in general. They see a team that has not been good offensively, save MJD, for quite some time and think "sub-par team, sub-par fantasy receiver".

Plus, they might see that Gabbert is starting instead of Henne and think that this will hurt his value- Even though he was good last year with either QB on the field.

It might also be that he quietly just does his job and makes no waves, leaving him as an afterthought to many.
FBG has him ranked as WR36 in dynasty, Jeff has him as WR56. He is coming off a hyper-productive season even with poor QB play and is only 25 years old, I do not get it.

New season is here. I'm realistic about how this team is going to be this year. I know we are going to lose a bunch, I just want to see the blowouts avoided and the young guys develop.

Here's hoping Gabbert makes big strides this year. I'm not overly optimistic, but hopeful.

Go Jags!

Humorous anecdote : On my way home from Mass this morning I saw somebody cutting the grass in their Garrard jersey.

That was all kinds of bad. Gabbert was horrific. The line was dominated. I was hoping to avoid blowouts this year. So far, not so good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless KC's D is the new 86 Bears that O-line is terrible. Joeckel is a rook, but good golly, he was owned all day. MJD was consistently met in the backfield. It is clear that there is no WR on the roster currently NFL ready outside of Shorts/Blackmon or TE outside of Lewis. Gabbert nor Henne appear to the answer. KC seemed to be able to predict the play calling. Not a good start.

put Denard at QB!

or better yet, sign tebow and run a Tebow/Denard/MJD backfield!!!!!

would that work? who cares, it would be awesome

run the bone!!!!

We've reached a whole new level of ineptitude. I don't even know what to say.
So much for grabbing onto that job. In some ways his numbers were WORSE.
Honestly JB, it doesn't matter who lines up behind center. The QBs are bad. The line is bad. We'll need a RB. We'll be lucky if Blackmon stays out of trouble and is even eligible to play next year. Lewis blocks better than he catches.

That's just the offense's problems.

I’m thinking of scalping a pair of tickets for Colts-Jags. How much will the scalper pay me to take them off his hands?

If I take my son will I be reported to Department of Family Services?

Gus sounds like he is one of those sympathizer coaches. Doesn't hold his players accountable. Instead just keeps gushing about how "he believes in those guys in the locker room." Well, then that is where they should stay...IN THE LOCKER ROOM! Because they are an embarrassment on the field.

That team needs a fire and brimstone coach. I was hoping Bradley would bring some of that as a defensive minded coach. But so far he seems soft and the team reflects that. Oakland was their only chance for a win this year and they were embarrassed!

I think we will easily be the worst team in the league. Very possibly go 0-16 (move over Detroit). And have the #1 pick only to blow it out their backsides!

If I were the owner, I'd be looking for some sort of progress throughout the season. If not, Gus would be gone. Just a little bit of progress would be nice.

I’m thinking of scalping a pair of tickets for Colts-Jags. How much will the scalper pay me How much will I have to pay the scalper to take them off his hands?

If I take my son will I be reported to Department of Family Services?
Fixed.

Gus sounds like he is one of those sympathizer coaches. Doesn't hold his players accountable. Instead just keeps gushing about how "he believes in those guys in the locker room." Well, then that is where they should stay...IN THE LOCKER ROOM! Because they are an embarrassment on the field.

That team needs a fire and brimstone coach. I was hoping Bradley would bring some of that as a defensive minded coach. But so far he seems soft and the team reflects that. Oakland was their only chance for a win this year and they were embarrassed!

I think we will easily be the worst team in the league. Very possibly go 0-16 (move over Detroit). And have the #1 pick only to blow it out their backsides!

If I were the owner, I'd be looking for some sort of progress throughout the season. If not, Gus would be gone. Just a little bit of progress would be nice.
WHAT IN THE #### DO YOU WANT HIM TO SAY??? "Thanks for coming to my presser. We have so little talent that I don't even know how we can even exist as a franchise. My players are terrible"?It's two games into their build. If you want to find someone to blame for the current mess, and it looks like you do, go find Gene Smith.

Last edited by a moderator:

WHAT IN THE #### DO YOU WANT HIM TO SAY??? "Thanks for coming to my presser. We have so little talent that I don't even know how we can even exist as a franchise. My players are terrible"?It's two games into their build. If you want to find someone to blame for the current mess, and it looks like you do, go find Gene Smith.
As far as blame, while Gene Smith clearly deserves plenty I still hold Wayne Weaver accountable for a lot of the current issues. Once he decided to sell the team, he put football operation on hold while he looked for a deal. He kept Del Rio when everyone on the planet knew his time had come and gone, he hired Gene Smith from within once he was basically forced to fire Shack and he refused to give coaches deals beyond a year. If WW had run the Jags like a real NFL team Del Rio would have been fired earlier and there would have been a search for a new GM, instead the team was basically put on hold while WW shopped the club.

I appreciate Mr. Weaver selling to a man that seems committed to keeping the Jaguars in Jacksonville, but the process stunted any real growth by the team for at least two seasons while WW found a deal.

As far as blame, while Gene Smith clearly deserves plenty I still hold Wayne Weaver accountable for a lot of the current issues. Once he decided to sell the team, he put football operation on hold while he looked for a deal. He kept Del Rio when everyone on the planet knew his time had come and gone, he hired Gene Smith from within once he was basically forced to fire Shack and he refused to give coaches deals beyond a year. If WW had run the Jags like a real NFL team Del Rio would have been fired earlier and there would have been a search for a new GM, instead the team was basically put on hold while WW shopped the club.

I appreciate Mr. Weaver selling to a man that seems committed to keeping the Jaguars in Jacksonville, but the process stunted any real growth by the team for at least two seasons while WW found a deal.
You'll get no argument from me here. WW set this franchise back. Though we wouldn't be in as bad of shape had Smith had any chops as a GM.

You'll get no argument from me here. WW set this franchise back. Though we wouldn't be in as bad of shape had Smith had any chops as a GM.
The scary part is Gene Smith's first draft looked better than the current GMs after two games.

Forbes released their annual list of the 400 richest people in America and Jaguars owner Shad Khan was ranked as 122nd on the list with an estimated net worth of $3.8 billion.

Khan, 63, was listed as 179th on the 2012 Forbes 400 after officially finalizing the purchase of the Jaguars in January 2012. Since then, he has made other investments in the Jacksonville area and purchased the Fulham Football Club of the English Premier League in July.

Among the notable people Khan passed on the Forbes 400 are Donald Trump, who finished in 134th on the list with a net worth of $3.5 billion, and Oprah Winfrey, who finished 184th with a net worth of $2.9 billion.

Khan was one of 14 NFL owners to appear on the list, although Paul Allen, owner of the Seattle Seahawks and Portland Trailblazers, led the group with a net worth of $15.8 billion.

The scary part is Gene Smith's first draft looked better than the current GMs after two games.
?

Joeckel has made some mistakes but he's a rookie who can't get any help because the middle of the line is getting caved in.

Cyprien might be one of the few bright spots so far. Gratz looked solid in game 1 before getting hurt.

Now if you want to say that Denard Robinson and Ace Sanders were accessories they couldn't afford until they fixed problems with both lines I could see that.

So far neither of those has really been has been used well to showcase their talents.

Typical Florio hack-job that takes teh news that no team is moving to England soon and twists into his agenda of some farcical split schedule. And hey let's kick them when they're down, too.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/24/tripling-of-england-fan-base-is-a-condition-of-nfl-team-moving-there/

The Jaguars have committed to playing one game per year for the next four years. The Rams initially had announced such an arrangement before backing out, due to issues with the team’s lease in St. Louis.

Before any franchise can move to London, it’s not just the game’s fan base but that team’s fan base that needs to increase. If it happens with the Jaguars over the next four years, they become a logical candidate to, at a minimum, play a split schedule between Jacksonville and London.

The good news for folks in Jacksonville is that the team currently could be too bad to develop a bigger fan base in another country.

Hooray?

What would Bill Parcells say? That dude just went into the HOF. He's pretty good.

MoveToSkypager said:

What would Bill Parcells say? That dude just went into the HOF. He's pretty good.
Parcell would say, "No thanks, I do not want the job in Jacksonville".

Invoking what a legendary coach would do in this situation is difficult, because most legendary coaches never faced a roster with this little talent.

From today's O-Zone on the Jags' website:

Eric from Jacksonville:
I know there is more to it than this, and you don't like to seriously answer Tebow questions, but why not sign Tebow as a stopgap until we find a quarterback? As a starter he has better yards/play, more wins, more 300 yd passing games, more TDs/game, more explosive plays per game, less turnovers per game, less sack yards per game, and a better clutch win percentage. Also, he has shown to be an effective leader. Just sayin.
John: Oh, as long as you were “just sayin.” Here’s the biggest reason I don’t seriously answer Tebow questions: because the Jaguars seriously aren’t signing him. Also, the debate is like politics and religion and whether I answer seriously or not, there is no listening to reason from either side – that, and the most reasonable answer only sparks more questions and anger from people who don’t want to understand the answer.

From today's O-Zone on the Jags' website:

Eric from Jacksonville:

I know there is more to it than this, and you don't like to seriously answer Tebow questions, but why not sign Tebow as a stopgap until we find a quarterback? As a starter he has better yards/play, more wins, more 300 yd passing games, more TDs/game, more explosive plays per game, less turnovers per game, less sack yards per game, and a better clutch win percentage. Also, he has shown to be an effective leader. Just sayin.

John: Oh, as long as you were “just sayin.” Here’s the biggest reason I don’t seriously answer Tebow questions: because the Jaguars seriously aren’t signing him. Also, the debate is like politics and religion and whether I answer seriously or not, there is no listening to reason from either side – that, and the most reasonable answer only sparks more questions and anger from people who don’t want to understand the answer.
Tebow doesn't have more 300-yard games than Gabbert or Henne, and he doesn't have more wins than Henne.

Blow it up.
Blow what up?...

Seriously, this is the bottom and there is nothing in terms of talent to really unload. Been watching football a long time and I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say this is one of the worst teams in NFL history. It's silly at this point and embarrassing to the NFL that they don't seem to be even participating at this point.

Blow it up.
Blow what up?...

Seriously, this is the bottom and there is nothing in terms of talent to really unload. Been watching football a long time and I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say this is one of the worst teams in NFL history. It's silly at this point and embarrassing to the NFL that they don't seem to be even participating at this point.
It's already blown up. This team had very little talent last year and I'm not sure how they won 2 games. In 2012, they scored 255 and allowed 444. Unlike Indy, when they hit the Andrew Luck Sweepstakes, the Jags have very little talent stockpiled. Caldwell is trying to get his guys in there but this is going to be a long process. These are the only Gene Smith draft picks left on the roster.

Draft picks left on the roster:

2009: Eugene Monroe

2010: Tyson Alualu

2011: Blaine Gabbert, Will Rackley, Cecil Shorts III, Chris Prosinski

2012: Justin Blackmon, Andre Branch, Bryan Anger, Mike Harris
Rackley, Prosinski, and Branch all stink and should be gone next year. Mike Harris is just a guy.

Don't know if the Jags re-sign Monroe in his contract year.

The 2014 starting QB isn't on the roster right now and probably isn't in the league. Don't know if they keep Gabbert around for last year of his contract to hold a clipboard.

I hate to pile on, but I'm at a loss for words after seeing this...

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/10/jjaguars-mascot-loses-paintball-bet-to-colts-mascot/

Given the winless Jacksonville Jaguars’ standing as the unquestioned worst team in the NFL, it stands to reason that mascot Jaxson DeVille should refrain from betting on his team.

And yet, for some reason, the Jaguars’ mascot agreed to a wager with the Indianapolis Colts’ mascot that the loser of Sunday’s game would stand 10 yards in front of a paintball gun and be pelted with the number of paintballs equal to the total points scored. Since the Jaguars lost 37-3, Jaxson DeVille was forced to withstand 40 paintballs — and withstand 40 paintballs he did.
That's a terrible mascot name, and what's with the suit?

Users who are viewing this thread