What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official Jaguars Thread - Team Putting #DTWD to The Test *** (4 Viewers)

As as Bortles owner, I am concerned about the God-awful amount of sacks in 2014. Do you folks feel the OL has been upgraded enough?
Enough? Hard to say, but they re-signed Pasztor and added Parnell.

Joeckel must prove he's a good LT.

Pasztor can play LG so hopefully Parnell can beat him out at RT. Pasztor has had trouble staying healthy so not sure he can be relied on as a starter.

Rookies RG Brandon Linder and C Luke Bowanko appear to have played well last year.

Barring injury the starting lineup looks ok, but they need to get some depth.
Parnell was played starters money. Pasztor was re-signed for depth. Sure Pasztor can play guard but if Beadles can't beat him out, something's wrong.

They need more C/G depth.
Thanks, I overlooked Beadles.

What are your thoughts on the OL if Joeckel/Beadles/Bowanko/Linder/Parnell stay healthy?

As as Bortles owner, I am concerned about the God-awful amount of sacks in 2014. Do you folks feel the OL has been upgraded enough?
Enough? Hard to say, but they re-signed Pasztor and added Parnell.

Joeckel must prove he's a good LT.

Pasztor can play LG so hopefully Parnell can beat him out at RT. Pasztor has had trouble staying healthy so not sure he can be relied on as a starter.

Rookies RG Brandon Linder and C Luke Bowanko appear to have played well last year.

Barring injury the starting lineup looks ok, but they need to get some depth.
Parnell was played starters money. Pasztor was re-signed for depth. Sure Pasztor can play guard but if Beadles can't beat him out, something's wrong.

They need more C/G depth.
Thanks, I overlooked Beadles.

What are your thoughts on the OL if Joeckel/Beadles/Bowanko/Linder/Parnell stay healthy?
At the very least they should be able to run to the right which they couldn't do with Pasztor.

I want to say they'll be upgraded to average maybe slightly better if teh kids can keep improving.

Only thing that concerns me is how the blocking n Olson's system will work. Beadles was brought in because the Broncos had a Zone Blocking Scheme. Linder was drafted because he had a ZBS at Miami with Fisch. AFAIK Olson doesn't use ZBS but you would think part of his interview involved the OL I think they'll be okay but neither guard is really a mauler and are more on the athletic side.

I think the pass blocking should be improved and Olsen has had more experience implementing blitz pickups in the pro game than Fisch did..

ALso important to note that the Jags sisn't really have an OL coach last year. George Yarno was diagnosed with cancer and teh inexperienced Luke Butkus was teh Assistant OL coach. They went out and hired Doug Marrone to coach the OL.

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - Four Jaguars earned paychecks of at least $200,000 as the National Football League released it's list of performance-based bonuses for the 2014 season.

Center Luke Bowanko, cornerback Demetrius McCray, safety Josh Evans, and receiver Allen Hurns all topped the $200K mark for their contributions in 2014.

The bonuses, paid out every year by the NFL, are meant to reward players who might have out played their deals. They are usually reserved for low draft picks, undrafted free agents or veterans with minimum contracts.

Bowanko, McCray, Evans and Hurns were not the only players to receive bonuses on the Jaguars. In all the team split $3.633 million in bonuses between 66 players.
Luke Bowanko: $235,782.

Demetrius McCray: $210,241.

Josh Evans: $208,859.

Allen Hurns: $207,541.

Telvin Smith: $194,824.

Brandon Linder: $189,364.

J.T. Thomas: $147,046.

Dwayne Gratz: $139,650.

Ryan Davis: $128,281.

Abry Jones: $105,112.

Jordan Todman: $99,292.

Austin Pasztor: $98,921.

LaRoy Reynolds: $97,810.

Denard Robinson: $93,809.

Johnathan Cyprien: $90,746.

Allen Robinson: $90,066.

No respect, I tell ya, no respect.

Not a peep about them from the national media despite the fact that they were the leading spender in free agency.

Not a word when Khan came out and said "it's no accident" that reports are not mentioning the Jaguars in regards to LA.

This year's New Era draft hat has the skyline of the respective city on it. Except the Jaguars hat has a skyline that looks nothing like Jacksonville and vaguely resembles Miami.

ESPN' s Todd McShay mocks Amari Cooper to the Jaguars at #3 despite the need for a pass-rusher. Why? He thinks the Jaguars RE-SIGNED Derrick Morgan.

Not a peep about them from the national media despite the fact that they were the leading spender in free agency.

Not a word when Khan came out and said "it's no accident" that reports are not mentioning the Jaguars in regards to LA.

This year's New Era draft hat has the skyline of the respective city on it. Except the Jaguars hat has a skyline that looks nothing like Jacksonville and vaguely resembles Miami.

ESPN' s Todd McShay mocks Amari Cooper to the Jaguars at #3 despite the need for a pass-rusher. Why? He thinks the Jaguars RE-SIGNED Derrick Morgan.
:lmao:

Glad I don't pay for his stuff.

But just because the Jags spent the most doesn't mean they spent wisely. They overpaid for what they got if ya ask me...but I guess they had to. Doesn't mean it was good business decisions.

I'll never forget those playoff runs in the mid 90's with Brunell, McCardell, Smith, Means, etc...but those days are fading in the rearview. I still don't see anything on this roster that says playoff contender. I hope I'm wrong. I think we're still 2 - 3 years away from respectability assuming they get some players in here.

I still don't see anything on this roster that says playoff contender. I hope I'm wrong. I think we're still 2 - 3 years away from respectability assuming they get some players in here.
This realistically isn't a playoff caliber team. That's what happens when you completely tear down a team that had terrible players on the roster. You need to look at this objectively- the Jags were basically an expansion team starting two years ago; the roster was filled with expansion type talent. Given that, expecting more than that is unrealistic. In order to progress Bortles is going to have to take the leap, these FA's need to work out, the young talent in place needs to continue to grow, and this draft class needs to be good.

I think 6 to 8 wins would be considered a successful season. Any more than that means that all of the expectations mentioned above were exceeded. But mainly the first one.

Yeah, I think 6 wins is a realistic goal to shoot for. However I also think less than 4 wins might cost Gus his job. Last year was the year of "Let's stop getting blown out and try to at least be competitive". This year, it's "Let's turn a couple of those close losses into wins". Gus' job might also, directly or indirectly, depend on how Bortles progresses.

Given their free agent additions and another hopefully sold draft, I could see them as a 5 to 7 win team.

Mr. Brownstone said:

I still don't see anything on this roster that says playoff contender. I hope I'm wrong. I think we're still 2 - 3 years away from respectability assuming they get some players in here.
This realistically isn't a playoff caliber team. That's what happens when you completely tear down a team that had terrible players on the roster. You need to look at this objectively- the Jags were basically an expansion team starting two years ago; the roster was filled with expansion type talent. Given that, expecting more than that is unrealistic.In order to progress Bortles is going to have to take the leap, these FA's need to work out, the young talent in place needs to continue to grow, and this draft class needs to be good.

I think 6 to 8 wins would be considered a successful season. Any more than that means that all of the expectations mentioned above were exceeded. But mainly the first one.
If I was a Jags fan I wouldn't be too concerned about wins this year. Bortles is the future of the team so they should put everything they around him to help him succeed.

Worry about defense later.

Mr. Brownstone said:

This realistically isn't a playoff caliber team. That's what happens when you completely tear down a team that had terrible players on the roster. You need to look at this objectively- the Jags were basically an expansion team starting two years ago; the roster was filled with expansion type talent. Given that, expecting more than that is unrealistic.In order to progress Bortles is going to have to take the leap, these FA's need to work out, the young talent in place needs to continue to grow, and this draft class needs to be good.

If I was a Jags fan I wouldn't be too concerned about wins this year. Bortles is the future of the team so they should put everything they around him to help him succeed.

Worry about defense later.
Agreed for the most part. I'm not fixated on the wins And Bortles needs better parts around him. But having a good defense helps them in that they will hopefully not have to play from behind so much. He threw the ball 35 times per game on average last year. That's not good. I see edge rusher in round one and RB round two.

Dave Caldwell in press conference

- It's more important for Jags to get a difference maker than a couple of solid players.

- They have 3 or 4 players they like with the 3 pick

- He's NOT disappointed that he doesn't know Justin Blackmon's status with league

In other words... if they trade down, they're not going far. And Blackmon's days are numbered.

- It's more important for Jags to get a difference maker than a couple of solid players.

- He's NOT disappointed that he doesn't know Justin Blackmon's status with league

In other words... if they trade down, they're not going far. And Blackmon's days are numbered.
And because of that, I'm thinking that Amari Cooper is one of those 3 or 4 that they're considering.

And because of that, I'm thinking that Amari Cooper is one of those 3 or 4 that they're considering.
If that happens I guess it would move Lee to the slot and leave Hurns competing for playing time as the #4.

That's a hell of an offense if Bortles plays even halfway decently.

If that happens I guess it would move Lee to the slot and leave Hurns competing for playing time as the #4.

It could be. And it looks like a safe bet to think that they'll draft a RB at some point next week.

It could be. And it looks like a safe bet to think that they'll draft a RB at some point next week.
It would be a hell of wasted talent IMO. Until they address the online this offense will struggle. I think the WRs are fine with Robinson/Lee/Hurns. Get some freaking protection.

It would be a hell of wasted talent IMO. Until they address the online this offense will struggle. I think the WRs are fine with Robinson/Lee/Hurns. Get some freaking protection.
The OL looks better than it did last year:

LT Joeckel (needs to play better)

LG Beadles (2nd year with team)

C Bowanko (rookie last year)/Wisniewski (much needed depth signing)

RG Linder (rookie last year)

RT Parnell(big FA signing)/Pasztor

They did make strides here and the draft still remains. And there are reports of Joeckel and Linder adding much needed strength/weight this offseason. Additionally, last year this young group didn't even have proper coaching. There's potential to really grow this year.

They did make strides here and the draft still remains. And there are reports of Joeckel and Linder adding much needed strength/weight this offseason. Additionally, last year this young group didn't even have proper coaching. There's potential to really grow this year.
I suppose the lingering problem is that they don't have a real LT. Maybe Joeckel steps up? The issue is that they can't REEEEALLY take a T at 3. There's no value in it. I think a nice option would be adding a guy like Cain or Erving in round 2. Those guys have dominating potential on the inside, potential they existing guys simply don't posses.

Of course the best option is a trade back. Probably not feasible.

Last edited by a moderator:
IF, big if, Tenn passes on a QB at 2. Jax has to be shopping that pick big time, right?

I mean moving back and potentially landing (let's assume Clev is partner) Gurley/Humphries combo has to be like a wet dream for you guys I'd think.

IF, big if, Tenn passes on a QB at 2. Jax has to be shopping that pick big time, right?

I mean moving back and potentially landing (let's assume Clev is partner) Gurley/Humphries combo has to be like a wet dream for you guys I'd think.
Yeah, they'd have to jump at a big offer. I think they would jump on Gurley in a split second. I don't think they would touch the OT position though. Caldwell will give Joeckel another year, but maybe he takes a developmental guy in the later rounds. Still big holes at Leo, MLB, and FS.

Yeah, they'd have to jump at a big offer. I think they would jump on Gurley in a split second. I don't think they would touch the OT position though. Caldwell will give Joeckel another year, but maybe he takes a developmental guy in the later rounds. Still big holes at Leo, MLB, and FS.
Personally, I think Joeckel is destined for RT. he can be a very good player there. Nothing wrong with that outside a little bit of sunken cost. He just looked so lumbering last year I have a hard time seeing him take the leap. I agree it's worth at least another year.

I would think getting the best player in the draft at #3 would be a big enough win. It's a weak draft overall and he's the only player that has perennial all-pro potential.

jurb26 said:
Mr. Brownstone said:

Personally, I think Joeckel is destined for RT. he can be a very good player there. Nothing wrong with that outside a little bit of sunken cost. He just looked so lumbering last year I have a hard time seeing him take the leap. I agree it's worth at least another year.
If he doesn't work out at LT then I'm fine calling it wraps at LT. If that's the case, then I don't think he'll have a spot on the team, as Parnell is there now.

So my gut feeling is that the pick will come down to to Fowler, Beasley, or Cooper. Fowler and Beasley are logical choices given the need for a LEO. If they select Amari Cooper then it's to surround Bortles with as many weapons as possible. I would be onboard, as it's a sound strategy. But I think they can find a solid WR later if they feel the need to add one (hello Tyler Lockett, please thank you). I prefer Beasley.

I just don't see them drafting Leonard Williams, if he's available. He'd man the 3T, and that is Marks' position.

I think if they trade back, it won't be far. It would be great if the Jets wanted 3 for either MM or Williams, then get Fowler/Beasley at 6 and have an extra pick.

So my gut feeling is that the pick will come down to to Fowler, Beasley, or Cooper. Fowler and Beasley are logical choices given the need for a LEO. If they select Amari Cooper then it's to surround Bortles with as many weapons as possible. I would be onboard, as it's a sound strategy. But I think they can find a solid WR later if they feel the need to add one (hello Tyler Lockett, please thank you). I prefer Beasley.

I just don't see them drafting Leonard Williams, if he's available. He'd man the 3T, and that is Marks' position.
Marks is also coming off a torn ACL in December.

So where would the Jaguars play him? In a rotation with Jared Odrick at the team’s 4B (big) end spot or in a rotation with Sen’Derrick Marks and others at the three-technique, lined up off the guard’s outside shoulder?

“I think he can probably play anywhere he wants,” Jaguars general manager Dave Caldwell said. “He’s a very good player. Those kinds of players are generally easy to evaluate.”

cstu said:
Mr. Brownstone said:

Marks is also coming off a torn ACL in December.

So where would the Jaguars play him? In a rotation with Jared Odrick at the teams 4B (big) end spot or in a rotation with SenDerrick Marks and others at the three-technique, lined up off the guards outside shoulder?

I think he can probably play anywhere he wants, Jaguars general manager Dave Caldwell said. Hes a very good player. Those kinds of players are generally easy to evaluate.
There is Marks' health to be concerned about, for sure. The DL coach also said that they would play LW at the 3T. But thats just press draft talk. And my thoughts on drafting LW constantly change. Taking the (perceived) BAP is never a bad idea. I just don't see it. It wouldn't bother me to be wrong though.

The good thing is that people are saying they might take Fowler because they need an edge rusher.

A couple years ago people would have said they need to take Fowler because he's a Gator and ticket sales.

Speaking of ticket sales, looks like Jags supporters group Bold City Brigade is going to have blocks of tickets totaling around 1,000 tickets in Tampa for the 10/11 game.

Several sections of Jags fans will be directly underneath the Pirate ship.

https://twitter.com/BoldCityCap/status/592708391274979328

https://twitter.com/BoldCityCap/status/592708946298798082

The good thing is that people are saying they might take Fowler because they need an edge rusher.

A couple years ago people would have said they need to take Fowler because he's a Gator and ticket sales.
Good observation here. I haven't heard that narrative one time this offseason. Thankfully.

I think if they trade back, it won't be far. It would be great if the Jets wanted 3 for either MM or Williams, then get Fowler/Beasley at 6 and have an extra pick.
Dream scenario imo.
The Jets aren't trading up for Williams - The DL is by far the strongest unit on the team (well perhaps behind the secondary now).

I don't think they'd trade up for Mariota either, but that's not impossible at all.

Dream scenario imo.
The Jets aren't trading up for Williams - The DL is by far the strongest unit on the team (well perhaps behind the secondary now).

I don't think they'd trade up for Mariota either, but that's not impossible at all.
I fully believe (purely a guess) that the new Jets GM and defensive-minded coach aren't dying to move up for a QB. I think they are planning on giving Gailey a year with Geno in the spread, and see how that flies.

IF Jax was willing to slide down a bit, and allow the Jets first crack at the pass rushers, I think the Jets would make an offer.

massraider said:
Dr. Octopus said:
Dream scenario imo.

I fully believe (purely a guess) that the new Jets GM and defensive-minded coach aren't dying to move up for a QB. I think they are planning on giving Gailey a year with Geno in the spread, and see how that flies.

IF Jax was willing to slide down a bit, and allow the Jets first crack at the pass rushers, I think the Jets would make an offer.
That's more likely, but I don't see them moving up at all since they are already in good position to land an impact player and already moved 4th and 6th round picks after the trades for Marshall and Harvin.

Twitter rumor that Jaguars are bracing for bad news re:JBlackmon.

No details but @APmarkLong only said "something that wouldn't allow him to be reinstated."

Users who are viewing this thread