What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official "Space Blanket" for Better Call Saul*** (3 Viewers)

First half of the episode was great. Second half was tedious. But hey, at least we are getting somewhere now with the story!

In other news, Kim is totally screwed now.  She showed her face to Lalo, which was a major mistake that will likely not end well for her.
:goodposting:  on the bold..

I'll hide behind something now to avoid the shoes thrown at me, but the 2nd half was almost "The Fly" tedious. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Loved it all, especially the "tedious" half. 

Thought Saul's plan was going to involve him luring the guy out of the car once he was spotted (drop the money and run?) so they could at least drive the hell out of there after Mike took care of business. 

Who were the guys trying to jack saul?  
Great question. Thought it might be Gus's men at first to disrupt Lalo's operations, upend his trust with the cartel (losing $7MM tends to do that), etc. but that would mean Mike is double-crossing Gus which seems unnecessary and dangerous at this point and likely easily discoverable.

First half of the episode was great. Second half was tedious. But hey, at least we are getting somewhere now with the story!

In other news, Kim is totally screwed now.  She showed her face to Lalo, which was a major mistake that will likely not end well for her.
This was billed as the apex of this season, a must-watch episode. Not sure I see it -- the scene in the desert with Saul was tense but stakes seemed small-ish. And agree that it dragged -- still enjoyable, but overall yes, a little tedious. I love this series and the characters, and nothing takes the shine off this penny for me -- but I do think the more time goes on, the more I question my suspension of disbelief -- like as bad-### and hard as Mike is, I can't help but think how a 73 year old dude (without the show giving his age, going by what he looks like/is) walking for days in the desert and, deprived of water, food, likely sleep, under stress in the burning desert sun, still able to hit a target moving at 70 mph from 100+ yards away. Saul whining about not being able to go on, now THAT was believable.

And agree about Kim, I think we just witnessed the beginning of her demise in this world. Don't know if that means death, disappearance, or riding off safe into the sunset, but no question meeting Lalo face to face and exposing who she is and what she is to Saul starts the ball rolling, culminating to her disappearance in Breaking Bad, and likely Saul's "It was Lalo" moment in BB.

I saw a review that compared last night's episode to the 4 Days Out episode of Breaking Bad, when Walt and Jesse were stranded out in the middle of nowhere and couldn't get the RV to start again until the end of the episode.  I get the parallels, but the BB episode was far more compelling, and the amazing chemistry between Cranston and Paul sure made a big difference as well.  As good a job as Odenkirk and Banks both do, their chemistry doesn't leap off the screen (it's not bad at all, just not like Cranston/Paul).

As for who the hijackers were last night, we can eliminate Gus' men.  It does seem weird that Lalo would have the cousins make the hand-off and then instruct a group of his men minutes later to then pull Saul over, take the money and kill him.  If that IS what happen, there is no way Saul and Kim should survive the season, as Lalo and the Salamancas woud go ballistic the minute they found out that their men were killed and Saul still has the money, but we all know that Saul lives, so that to me is the intriguing question at this point.  Maybe Nacho made a play here we do not know about, but not sure what his end game would be.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think we were supposed to take them as anything more than just some random bandits that a turncoat guy on the inside at the Salamanca cash warehouse tipped off. 
Yeah, I forgot about the cold opening, where a guy in the warehouse saw the cousins leaving with the money and then called someone and said he had something if "they" were still interested.  Probably was just a rogue employee looking for a quick score.

Yeah, I forgot about the cold opening, where a guy in the warehouse saw the cousins leaving with the money and then called someone and said he had something if "they" were still interested.  Probably was just a rogue employee looking for a quick score.
Damn I need to rewatch then.  Thanks

Season 5 has been one of the best ever in this Series, even would challenge perhaps the intensity you feel in Breaking Bad that has been missing a lot of the time in this show. BCS has been a very slowwww burn for me but I still am fascinated to see characters who died in BB, going back in time. BCS stands on its own and it's really becoming a fun ride watching this show connect to Breaking Bad. It's starting to feel like that moment in Star Wars:Rogue One, where Vader enters and they start leading you right to the moment he enters the Rebels ship in the opening scene of "New Hope in '77" 
Agreed fully.  What’s even more surprising to me is how good this season is even without Gilligan's involvement (up until he directed ep. 8).   

at first I thought the guys who started the shootout were the psycho brothers, who had followed Saul from a distance to guard the money.

Gus wants Lalo out on bail as much as Lalo himself does. Wasn't Gus. 
Hate to be posting this, but wife and I cannot find an answer to our own question: I agree that Gus wants Lalo out on bail. But our understanding is that Gus (through Mike) is the one who got him in jail in the first place. When Mike set up that librarian to finger Lalo, wasn't that the machinations of Gus? On this we are confused.

Hate to be posting this, but wife and I cannot find an answer to our own question: I agree that Gus wants Lalo out on bail. But our understanding is that Gus (through Mike) is the one who got him in jail in the first place. When Mike set up that librarian to finger Lalo, wasn't that the machinations of Gus? On this we are confused.
As I understand it, they wanted Lalo "out of the picture." They can't kill him north of the border because the cartel bosses will assume Fring is behind it and there will be all out war. So the next best option is get him jailed. But he's still running operations from jail. So I think now the plan is get him out of jail assuming he will flee back to Mexico.

As I understand it, they wanted Lalo "out of the picture." They can't kill him north of the border because the cartel bosses will assume Fring is behind it and there will be all out war. So the next best option is get him jailed. But he's still running operations from jail. So I think now the plan is get him out of jail assuming he will flee back to Mexico.
I think that's correct. I would think that Gus had to anticipate Lalo would call shots from jail, so it's not so much as Gus having to scramble a shift from getting Lalo jailed to getting him freed on bail, as opposed to that was the long game overall. I can't think of another way to put pressure on Lalo to get him to flee the US outside of pressure from the law (but maybe I lack imagination).

I keep coming back to Nacho's warning to Saul about dealing with the cartel, and that "Once you're in, you're in."

Saul is definitely in. Now, too, is Kim. Kim is now very much leverage for Lalo/Gus/the cartel in the same way as Nacho's father is. We know Saul survives. We don't know for sure Nacho did, but given that Saul tries to pin blame on Ignacio in BB, I am assuming Nacho gets offed in BCS. My biggest fear of this is that we may see a mirror effect of Nacho's dad surviving, but Kim does not.

Total conjecture, pray it doesn't happen -- I mean, could they really kill off such a beloved and extraordinary character like Kim? If they let her live they at least open a possibility to a huge redemptive finally in Nebraska (or even a sequel with Jimmy and Kim reunited in Nebraska and going on the run together). My hope is we see Nacho and his father get killed -- equally as tragic -- and Kim and Saul surviving. But with this show, no guarantees, and I'm just rambling now.

If they let her live they at least open a possibility to a huge redemptive finally in Nebraska (or even a sequel with Jimmy and Kim reunited in Nebraska and going on the run together). 
Been thinking the last few days that Kim gets vacuumed, that's the reason Gene didnt choose that option in this season's opener and the closing eps of the series will be his Finding Kim-o

I wonder how Saul is going to explain his ordeal and escape from the desert without revealing that Gus's "gringo" that Lalo was so worked up about was the one who rescued him.

Also, I love the direction they're going with Kim.  Kim and Nacho are really the only characters here that we care about who also have unknown endings.  The rest of this series needs to capitalize on that to ramp up the suspense a la Breaking Bad.  I think they've been doing a nice job of that this season, and each episode Kim's story in particular gets kicked up a notch.  They need to keep that up imo, it's good stuff.

Regarding Ed the vacuum cleaner guy (played by Robert Forrester, who is now deceased), Saul has no clue of his existence yet as far as the current time line goes in BCS, but even though we won't see Ed again, it would be cool if we found out how Saul came to be aware of him.  Could be through Kim needing to vanish at some point.

As far as the writers hesitant to kill off a popular character, they did it with Hank, so I think they'd have no problem doing it again.  That said, even though Kim is in a world of trouble now after showing her face to Lalo, I think they will find a way to keep her alive when it's all over. 

I wonder how Saul is going to explain his ordeal and escape from the desert without revealing that Gus's "gringo" that Lalo was so worked up about was the one who rescued him.

Also, I love the direction they're going with Kim.  Kim and Nacho are really the only characters here that we care about who also have unknown endings.  The rest of this series needs to capitalize on that to ramp up the suspense a la Breaking Bad.  I think they've been doing a nice job of that this season, and each episode Kim's story in particular gets kicked up a notch.  They need to keep that up imo, it's good stuff.
Good point because it will be on the news and someone got away.

Great points and thoughts -- using Ed to disappear Kim makes a lot of sense. Last we saw Ed, he was telling Saul that it would be more difficult to disappear him and (I believe) the cost doubled. Did Ed say anything else, like how he can only disappear him so many times and this would be his last? Maybe I am imagining that, but maybe Saul uses his last chip on Kim instead of himself. If it was just a matter of raising tons of cash in a short time, seems like we've seen Saul do this a lot (and currently has his hands on $7MM, though I doubt he risks using any of it at this point) so even if the price was exorbitant, seems that wouldn't be as much of a blocker as only being able to disappear x amount of times.

Been thinking the last few days that Kim gets vacuumed, that's the reason Gene didnt choose that option in this season's opener and the closing eps of the series will be his Finding Kim-o
I've thought this too. 

I also think the scene showing that Kim attended high school in Nebraska is key. Maybe we learn that Saul is living with Kim or near Kim post-Breaking Bad times?

And Kim was originally written as a throw-away character, one that would be a sounding board, considering that Jimmy can hardly function without flapping his gums. She may not seem expendable now,  but the writers had no clue that she would become a star. Seems like the perfect character to off, dramatically speaking.

Regarding Ed the vacuum cleaner guy (played by Robert Forrester, who is now deceased), Saul has no clue of his existence yet as far as the current time line goes in BCS, but even though we won't see Ed again, it would be cool if we found out how Saul came to be aware of him.  Could be through Kim needing to vanish at some point.

As far as the writers hesitant to kill off a popular character, they did it with Hank, so I think they'd have no problem doing it again.  That said, even though Kim is in a world of trouble now after showing her face to Lalo, I think they will find a way to keep her alive when it's all over. 
Plus there's one more season as I understand it. And I agree with the poster above who basically said that Nacho and Kim are the sole two characters/plot points with unknown arcs. So, I assume they need to keep Kim around as long as possible. 

And Kim was originally written as a throw-away character, one that would be a sounding board, considering that Jimmy can hardly function without flapping his gums. She may not seem expendable now,  but the writers had no clue that she would become a star. Seems like the perfect character to off, dramatically speaking.
Jesse (Aaron Paul's character) in Breaking Bad was supposed to die pretty quickly as well IIRC. 

:sadbanana: :sadbanana:  

Also, I'm surprised that people didn't like this week's episode.  Both Mr. krista and I deemed it the best one since "I broke my boy" in the first season.  Diff'rent strokes, I guess.
best episode this season.  agreed

kim sucks.  can't wait for her arc to end   :pickle:

Users who are viewing this thread