What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

****Official Black Friday, Cyber Monday and Online deals thread**** (2 Viewers)

Amazon has the 7"Fire tablet for $35 right now if anyone is interested
:shock:

Was thinking about one for the 9 y.o. Are these decent, or just p.o.s.'s that will break after a couple days? Are the apps basically the same thing I would put on my phone?
Biggest downfall that I have seen is that you can't get the google play store on it. All of the apps have to come from Amazon.
To be fair, Most of the decent Google apps are in the Amazon app store.The Fire is a pretty decent unit. Buy a good case and you'll be fine. Out the door for under $50 or a non generic tablet with easy access to a huge app and book store.

:shock: Was thinking about one for the 9 y.o. Are these decent, or just p.o.s.'s that will break after a couple days? Are the apps basically the same thing I would put on my phone?
Biggest downfall that I have seen is that you can't get the google play store on it. All of the apps have to come from Amazon.
To be fair, Most of the decent Google apps are in the Amazon app store.The Fire is a pretty decent unit. Buy a good case and you'll be fine. Out the door for under $50 or a non generic tablet with easy access to a huge app and book store.
Bought this one several months ago for my rambunctious 5-year-old. It's held up and performed extremely well. For $35, it's a no-brainer.

:shock: Was thinking about one for the 9 y.o. Are these decent, or just p.o.s.'s that will break after a couple days? Are the apps basically the same thing I would put on my phone?
I have only used Google play. Does this mean you need amazon prime for apps, or it is just a slightly different format and different apps?

just wondering how do you determine this? I noticed the 120hz refresh rate. . I just figured video games were more video demanding than a movie?
We would be talking about a couple of different things here.With video games, the input lag is the thing you want to look at in testing controller response from the user input (the gamer). This TV has one of the best input lags out there anywhere close to the price point. It comes in around 26.5 Ms. If I was buying a tv solely for playing PS4/xbox, this tv at this price is the one I buy.

On the movie side, though, we are talking about contrast and judder. The contrast isn't very good and the blacks are not deep blacks. There is no HDR/3d capabilities, and won't self-adjust the lighting/dimming. When watching movies from a source like a blu-ray, the "judder" (that little noticeable blurry, fuzzy aspect that causes you to notice a jerk in the picture) is prevelant. Your refresh rate will be fine but because of mismatches between the refresh rate and the frequency of the mive (24hz in Blu-ray case), you see the jerking action.
okay so if looking just for a movie tv what would be the main focus?does 120 & 240hz matter at all?
Contrast & the ability to get dark, dark black ratios. Those two things set the bar for everything else. 120/240 is important but less overall if you are watching blu-ray, etc because it's a different animal of signal transmission vs. processing power, blur, etc. The next biggest thing on a "movie" tv is the Judder (blurring). You want to find one that says "24p blur-free:yes" or, if its not that straight forward, be thinking of seeing capabilities of HDMI 2.0 (want to see all that true 4k content in all its glory).

In general, an OLED TV will meet those needs best and provide best range of colors. The black is superb because the light actually goes out (not dimmed) so it is a true black.

Downside is very costly so it's not an option for most people to justify putting that much into a Tv.

In general, if you are looking for one for movie watching AND you want to be thinking of true 4k ability AND want to future proof the tv for the next wave of viewing, I would suggest at LEAST a 48" set but 55 and 65" are going to maximize what you truly get out of it. Distance from your TV and where you sit is important and the distance is much shorter than you think (about 8-9 feet for a 55'). Right now, you can get all that from $1200-$2000. Panasonic, Samsung, and LG are clear leaders. Most people I know prefer any of those three over Sony. I could make a case for any of the three but the Samsung is probably going to be, dollar for dollar, the easiest to afford.
Good info here. :thumbup:

Bought this one several months ago for my rambunctious 5-year-old. It's held up and performed extremely well. For $35, it's a no-brainer.
We bought one last year for my then 9yo, it has held up well wit moderately heavy use. We bought 3 more yesterday.

Any deals on big kid bikes?

Also need a new laptop but those deals are everywhere.

I just bought a pair of New Balance on Amazon for $35. I really wanted to get a pair of asics since that's what Ron wears to do Yoga, but these will have to do.

Have to deal with a mail in rebate, but after the mail in rebate and instant $25 off for using Visa Checkout, got an Asus RT-66U router for $55 at TigerDirect. Smoking good deal.

Best Buy has a desktop

i7

8GB

1TB

For $479. Hard to build one that cheap.
I was going to stay away from black friday this year but may need to see if i can get this one. Currently out of stock.
Acer i5

8GB

2TB

Available on Amazon for $389.

i3

6GB

1TB

For $259
The $479 Dell came back in stock so i ordered.

Now i have to figure out how to connect 2 monitors to it. I'm guessing i might need a new video card? Also wondering if it is a 32 bit or 64 bit machine because it didn't specify. For my use it doesn't really matter much though.

Is Black Friday officially dead? I'm in North Conway at the outlets people watching and its really slow. Luckily it's like 60 degrees so yoga pants are in full effect.

My wife just got back from shopping near Nashville, said the stores weren't dead but weren't packed either.

Cyber Monday is the new black friday.

Users who are viewing this thread