What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Jimmy Garoppolo, LAR (3 Viewers)

Re-drafting the 2014 quarterback class

Excerpts:

It was hard not to like Jimmy Garoppolo's performance during the preseason and 27 regular-season throws. Based just on that body of work, he belongs a lot closer to Bridgewater on this list than Manziel. Despite an occasional read-option play or called quarterback run, there wasn't a lot of flash to Garoppolo's game. There was quiet effectiveness.

The Eastern Illinois product was decisive and accurate. The word "competent" was written in the notebook a few times. He occasionally could create something out of nothing versus free rushers and he was too willing to take a hit on scrambles. We need to see a lot more, but he looked like a guy who could be in the NFL a long time.
Bill Belichick said he believed the turning point of the Patriots' championship season was the second half against Kansas City, when the team didn't lie down during a blowout Week 4 loss. By that logic, Garoppolo was nearly as valuable at backup QB in 2014 as Drew Bledsoe was in 2001.

Last edited by a moderator:
If Brady gets the expected 6-8 we're going to get an extended look at Garoppolo this year. Maybe (probably?) not ready for prime time yet coming out of a small school, but you never know. Window to buy could close pretty quick.

After the draft last week, Sean Payton indicated that he had had Garoppolo on his board in 2014, stating, "Garoppolo was a guy we had good grades on," and might have taken him if he had lasted until the 3rd round, like Grayson. The Saints had Garoppolo in for a pre-draft workout too.

Every QB needy team in the league had the opportunity to draft Garoppolo. Time will tell but I believe they blew it and let him fall into the Patriots hands.
"I talked to Bill (Belichick) at the combine, and I asked him how Jimmy was doing," Christensen told WEEI.com in a recent phone conversation. "He said '(Jimmy) looks like a linebacker. He works out like a linebacker. He acts like a linebacker. I really like him a lot, coach. You did a great job with him. Thank you.' "

"I think he did very well," Christensen said of Garoppolo's first season. "Over the first two weeks of camp he didn't look good, but I think over the third and fourth week of the preseason, he made real improvement, and that's what Bill wants to see. Jimmy is a smart kid who just wants to learn, and he's well aware of how good a situation he's in right now."
Opening night 2015 might be the big reveal.

Very tough to start for anyone making their first couple of starts.

Last year Tom Brady struggled for the first 4 weeks. He looked like he had taken that step to decline. There was some moving parts at play though to start the year. Who knows how Garoppolo starts out but it wont be easy.

Week 1) You get Pitt a team that was 11 and 5 last year and it is a prime time game.

Week 2) You get a Rex Ryan lead D in your second start. This might be one of the most stacked Ryan defences on paper as well.

Very tough to start for anyone making their first couple of starts.

Last year Tom Brady struggled for the first 4 weeks. He looked like he had taken that step to decline. There was some moving parts at play though to start the year. Who knows how Garoppolo starts out but it wont be easy.

Week 1) You get Pitt a team that was 11 and 5 last year and it is a prime time game.

Week 2) You get a Rex Ryan lead D in your second start. This might be one of the most stacked Ryan defences on paper as well.
Getting the excuses ready already? You sound confident.

Seems like a possible QB strategy for this year if you're one who typically punts on the position until late would be to draft Brady and Garoppolo. No idea what Brady's ADP is going to be after this, but you have to figure Garoppolo can be had late. Start Jimmy weeks 1-4, drop him week 5 for a one-week fill in, then start Brady week 6 on. Sure, Garoppolo might suck, Brady might take a couple of weeks to round into form, but there's upside there. I think I'd rather do this if I'm waiting until the 8th/9th round to look at QB as opposed to taking a shot with Tannehill, Kaepernick, or Bridgewater.

He’ll play behind an offensive line that in 2014 relied heavily on the 37-year-old Brady’s quick release to appear competent, allowing only 21 sacks while grading out as the fourth-worst pass blocking unit in football by Pro Football Focus. (Brady was the league’s fourth-fastest passer from snap to attempt.)
Garoppolo has one of the fastest releases I've ever seen.

He’ll play behind an offensive line that in 2014 relied heavily on the 37-year-old Brady’s quick release to appear competent, allowing only 21 sacks while grading out as the fourth-worst pass blocking unit in football by Pro Football Focus. (Brady was the league’s fourth-fastest passer from snap to attempt.)
Garoppolo has one of the fastest releases I've ever seen.
But how quick is his recognition? That's the key to Brady's speed from snap to release. Will Garoppolo be anywhere near as quick on the read? I don't know.

Jeffrey Kessler’s winning 
record
  • Ray Rice appeal: After Rice, a running back for the Baltimore Ravens, was given an indefinite suspension by the NFL following a domestic abuse incident with his fiancee, Kessler led the appeal that got the sentence reduced to two games.
  • Bountygate appeal: Four players from the New Orleans Saints were suspended by the NFL for their roles in the Bountygate scandal, where players were rewarded for injuring opponents. Kessler helped get all four suspensions vacated.
  • Adrian Peterson appeal: After Peterson’s role in abusing one of his children, the NFL handed the running back for the Minnesota Vikings an indefinite suspension, which Kessler was able to have vacated.
  • Brady v. NFL: Ushered an end to the 2011 NFL lockout in a successful antitrust action for a class of players in the league.
  • McNeil, et al. v. NFL, et al.: In this 1992 case, Kessler won a jury verdict for NFL players to knock down free agency restrictions under antitrust laws. Following the win, the free agency/salary cap system in the NFL was negotiated during the Reggie White class action.
  • BA Player Class Actions: Kessler represented a number of NBA players in antitrust actions that helped lead to the current free agency/salary cap system in the NBA and the end of the 2011 NBA lockout.
  • Sprewell v. NBA: After Golden State’s Latrell Sprewell was suspended for choking coach P.J. Carlesimo, Kessler represented Sprewell and the NBA Players Association in arbitration and overturned the suspension and guaranteed contract termination.
  • North American Soccer League, et al. v. NFL: Helped the North American Soccer League knock down NFL ownership rules in an antitrust case.
  • Guidry, et al. v. AFL, et al.: Helped establish free agency in the Arena Football League through an antitrust case.
just sayin'

Rotoworld:

Jimmy Garoppolo - QB - Patriots

Jimmy Garoppolo and Tom Brady are splitting first-team quarterback reps 50-50 at Patriots OTAs.

Normally, Brady would handle nearly all of the first-team reps in these practices. With Brady tentatively facing a four-game suspension, Garoppolo's reps have increased because he is being prepared to start. Although preseason isn't always indicative of real-game performance, Garoppolo shined last August with a 5:1 TD-to-INT ratio and 7.8 YPA on 79 exhibition-game attempts.

Source: ESPN Boston
May 29 - 8:35 PM

Rotoworld:

ESPN Boston's Mike Reiss says there hasn't been a Tom Brady backup who has as much promise as Jimmy Garoppolo in recent memory.

Garoppolo is getting half of the first-team reps at OTAs and impressing. Reiss says the second-year man has been sharp in terms of receiving the play-call, getting everyone lined up properly, making checks and then "delivering the ball on time and accurately." If Brady's four-game suspension stands, Garoppolo appears poised to keep the Patriots on track while pushing for top-14 fantasy quarterback status.

Jun 1 - 8:39 AM

We will have to wait and see how much Garoppolo gets to actually play, but . . .

What makes Brady so good is recognizing before the ball is snapped who will be open and where. The where part is of vital importance, as the receivers need to get hot reads with where to break off or change their routes and Brady does an excellent job delivering the ball on the uber short routes..

Physically and mechanically Garoppolo may be better than Brady already (based on youth vs. age). I would not be concerned that he will struggle to get the ball out quickly. The who-really-knows-what-to-expect element will stem from his ability to recognize defenses and blitzers and get the ball where the receivers will be for quick passes. If he does play several games with Brady suspended, I would predict a pick six on a miscommunication with a receiver.

I suppose the other big question would be what percentage of the play book would they have JG run and/or would they have him run plays that Brady doesn't usually run if JG's skill set is different than TB's.

Rotoworld:

No. 2 Patriots QB Jimmy Garoppolo threw five interceptions in Thursday's OTAs session.

It's just a reminder that, though Garoppolo has looked good this spring, he's still not close to being a finished product. Garoppolo will have to be babied along for however long Tom Brady is suspended.

Jun 4 - 2:36 PM

4 of the interceptions were during

The 2 minute drills and 2 of those were deflected.

Rotoworld:

No. 2 Patriots QB Jimmy Garoppolo threw five interceptions in Thursday's OTAs session.

It's just a reminder that, though Garoppolo has looked good this spring, he's still not close to being a finished product. Garoppolo will have to be babied along for however long Tom Brady is suspended.

Jun 4 - 2:36 PM
I take away pretty much nothing from these type of reports. Brady could have a day at OTAs where he throws 8 interceptions. Would anyone really buy into Brady being old and ready for retirement if that was the spin that day?

Similarly, if Garoppolo had a day where he threw 6 TD passes in a scrimmage I would not care about that either. All players will have good days and bad days IN PRACTICE, and short of an extended training camp with regular poor performances (a la Tebow), I wouldn't worry much.

Unless Tom Brady’s suspension is overturned, both he and backup Jimmy Garoppolo will have their opportunity to show what they can do at some point during the upcoming season, just like both had an opportunity on Tuesday at the Patriots’ first practice of their three-day mandatory minicamp.

The two were on opposite fields during a dueling 11-on-11 hurry-up session, but they both put up impressive numbers. Brady went 12 for 16 and Garoppolo went 13 for 15 in that particular session. On the day, Brady finished 24 for 33 in 11-on-11 work and Garoppolo finished 26 for 32, with one interception on a tipped pass.

Rotoworld:

Jimmy Garoppolo reportedly showed far better command of the offense this offseason.
Garoppolo was still trying to get his head around the offense as a second-round rookie a year ago. He still looked good in the preseason, going 46-of-72 (58.2%) for 618 yards (7.82 YPA) with five TDs, one INT and a 99.0 passer rating. With Tom Brady's suspension looming, Garoppolo got a bunch of first-team reps in the spring. We expect him to hit the ground running if Brady misses any time.

Source: Jeff Darlington on Twitter
Jul 28 - 10

Rotoworld:

After watching Jimmy Garoppolo's 2014 snaps, NFL Network's Daniel Jeremiah compared the second-year signal caller to Trent Green.
Jeremiah was impressed by Garoppolo's "quick feet," quickness through progressions, and ability to "extend plays." Garoppolo impressed last preseason and is slated to start the Patriots' first four games with Tom Brady on suspension. Brady is continuing to fight the ban, however. Garoppolo would make for an intriguing QB1 streamer in Week 1 against the defense-deficient Steelers.

Source: Daniel Jeremiah on Twitter
Jul 29 - 11:47 AM

i think he might be ok but i cannot stand his sister that actress who always have to have an opinion on everything it is like jeez i got it you like to tell people what to think i got it enuf already take that to the bank

Can't wait to see him with some actual NFL caliber players. I thought he did alright, his pocket presence was superb. Hes got the arm, but his accuracy was spotty and got noticeably worse after pressures.

He under threw a few, took a couple bad sacks.. didn't look too good imo, (but moved the ball ok on a couple drives using the short pass). But, wow, who is he throwing to? And how is Boyce still in the league? He runs fast but looks like he hasn't caught footballs before.

He under threw a few, took a couple bad sacks.. didn't look too good imo, (but moved the ball ok on a couple drives using the short pass). But, wow, who is he throwing to? And how is Boyce still in the league? He runs fast but looks like he hasn't caught footballs before.
They had nobody in, Edelman, Lafell, Dola, Gronk, Chandler, Blount all sat. Solder, Stork and Volmer sat. He was surrounded by no names and literally whos.

He stepped up into the pocket a couple of times while getting blitzed, was impressed.

That being said, the OL let him be sacked 7 times and his receivers didn't help him at all.

Jimmy throwing to Boyce: 2 of 9 for 19 yards and an interception

Jimmy throwing to anyone else: 18 of 21 for 140

Last edited by a moderator:
They had nobody in, Edelman, Lafell, Dola, Gronk, Chandler, Blount all sat. Solder, Stork and Volmer sat. He was surrounded by no names and literally whos.

He stepped up into the pocket a couple of times while getting blitzed, was impressed.

That being said, the OL let him be sacked 7 times and his receivers didn't help him at all.

Jimmy throwing to Boyce: 2 of 9 for 19 yards and an interception

Jimmy throwing to anyone else: 18 of 21 for 140
Oof.

Users who are viewing this thread