What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** 2015 Denver Broncos (1 Viewer)

moleculo

Footballguy
Well, 2014 ended in a giant pile of disappointment. Let's put a pin in 2014 and move on.

First things first - We will need a new coach. From reading the tea leaves, I believe Elway will be looking for someone young that brings fire and passion. He wants someone that the team can rally around and feed off of. He wants someone that hates losing as much as he does. I know a lot of folks think that Kubiak is a natural due to the existing relationship he has with Elway, I don't think Elway is all that much into hiring friends/family because if/when you have to fire them, it's that much more difficult. If you haven't read it, here is an excellent article on Elway and what makes him tick.

The second item of business - will Manning return? I expect we won't have an answer until the start of the new league year, or early March. If Manning doesn't play next year, he is just $5m against the cap, freeing up about $16m beyond their current estimated $32m in space.

The Broncos do have some key FAs they need to retain. Here's how I rank them:

1. Demaryius Thomas
  2. Terrance Knighton
  3. Rahim Moore
  4. Julius Thomas
  5. Virgil Green
  6. Orlando Franklin
  7. Brandon Marshall
  8. Wes Welker
There are come cuts I expect: Colquitt comes to mind. I really don't think his performance merits a $3.75m salary. Manny Ramierez and Barth could be let go as well.

As far as holes - on defense, the only real hole I see is MLB. Everything else is pretty solid, IMO. Offensively, we need some serious work on the line. I'm not sure what to do about this whole mess. The WR's are solid with DT and Sanders, the TE positon is fine between JT and VGreen, the RB position has plenty of depth between CJ, Ball, Hillman and Juwan Thompson, and the big unknown is QB - Manning or Osweiller. Of course, this assumes the above FA's re-sign. If they walk, the hole they leave needs to be filled as well.

If Manning hangs them up, I would expect Os to be named the heir apparent but a veteran QB brought in to camp for competition. The FA list for QB's is pretty depressing, don't know what Elway would do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Official interview list so far:

Adam Gase (Broncos OC) - interviewed 1/14

Teryl Austin (DET DC) - scheduled for 1/16 interview cancelled

Gary Kubiak (BAL OC) - interview scheduled for this weekend

Vance Joseph (CIB SEcondary) - secheduled 1/16

speculated interest:

Dan Quinn (SEA DC) - we'll find out after this weekend.

Vic Fangio (49er DC) - possible interest per Klis.

Rick Dennison (BAL QBC) - possible interest per Klis

I'm not sure how I'd feel about Kubiak as head coach. I mean, he is obviously a great play caller, but is he a great leader who knows how to get a team ready and "up" for a big game? It's hard to forget that Texans/Patriots game from the 2012 season. It was considered a very important game in the Texans history, taking on the Patriot juggernaut on MNF, and they came out completely flat and got drilled. Considering we are coming off a coach (Fox) who had major issues in Denver with getting the team prepared and ready for the majority of their playoff games, it's a concern.

I'm not sure how I'd feel about Kubiak as head coach. I mean, he is obviously a great play caller, but is he a great leader who knows how to get a team ready and "up" for a big game? It's hard to forget that Texans/Patriots game from the 2012 season. It was considered a very important game in the Texans history, taking on the Patriot juggernaut on MNF, and they came out completely flat and got drilled. Considering we are coming off a coach (Fox) who had major issues in Denver with getting the team prepared and ready for the majority of their playoff games, it's a concern.
watch this video. Hopefully it makes you feel a little better about Kubes.

I think part of Kubes hesitation is he isn't all that comfortable being the figurehead of the team. I think he loves coordinating an offense and calling plays - the dirty work. I think Denver is a unique situation because he wouldn't have to be the figurehead as HC - he will have Elway to take those bullets. Elway can be the figurehead, Elway can be the face of the franchise. Elway can do the press conferences, etc.

Jake Plummer on Kubiak:

“No doubt, tears in my eyes, man,” Plummer said. “Kubes is tough when you need tough. He’ll explain where he’s at, talk you through it, but he’s so smart. A guy like that you wake up every day seeing he wants the best for you and that maybe you disagreed at first, but you see he’s right and you’re not. He pushes you, I mean, hard, man, but doesn’t bully you, and you see for yourself he’s right. A guy like that you want to play for until you can’t play anymore.”

assuming Manning returns, should use a relief QB in the playoffs? kind of tired of the mopey, give-up mode whenever a playoff game gets tough. not even sure Manning is a fit in Kubes' o. No idea how Osweiler fares as a pro QB (I actually am not very optimistic), but Manning looked like a right-handed, cement-footed Chris Simms last week...against a terrible defence.

need to fix the OL and re-sign DT, but the team is still incredibly talented. it just has a loser mentality.

@MikeKlis: Broncos finalizing 4-year contract with Gary Kubiak to make him head coach. He will be introduced as soon as Tuesday.

assuming Manning returns, should use a relief QB in the playoffs? kind of tired of the mopey, give-up mode whenever a playoff game gets tough. not even sure Manning is a fit in Kubes' o. No idea how Osweiler fares as a pro QB (I actually am not very optimistic), but Manning looked like a right-handed, cement-footed Chris Simms last week...against a terrible defence.

need to fix the OL and re-sign DT, but the team is still incredibly talented. it just has a loser mentality.
If Manning returns, and that's a big if, I think he needs to be on a short injury leash - that is, "if you are not 100%, sit down". Certainly, an injured Manning in playoffs isn't gonna cut it; I'd rather it be a healthy Manning on the road vs playing-hurt-Manning at home.

I'm not sold on Os either. It wouldn't be a bad idea to bring in a vet - no idea who what would be. Wonder if Bubby Brister can still throw?

watch this video. Hopefully it makes you feel a little better about Kubes.

I think part of Kubes hesitation is he isn't all that comfortable being the figurehead of the team. I think he loves coordinating an offense and calling plays - the dirty work. I think Denver is a unique situation because he wouldn't have to be the figurehead as HC - he will have Elway to take those bullets. Elway can be the figurehead, Elway can be the face of the franchise. Elway can do the press conferences, etc.
I suppose. It looks like it's gonna be official, so time will tell. If Manning retires, I wonder if they will stick with Osweiler or go for someone else.

Can't see Manning returning to work for a control freak like Kubiak who likes a mobile QB to run his zone stretch offense and authorizes zero audibles.

Kubiac had a minor stroke in Houston because he couldn't handle the pressure. I am sure he'll have no issues in Denver with John Elway (sarcasm).

Kubiak sucked in Houston. We were glad to see the back of him. Manning will not come back with him as coach. Broncos will be mediocre at best.

A Houston fan's perspective on Kubiak:

I think Manning will play for Kubiak, because Kubiak is smart enough not to make Manning do everything in Kubiak's offense. I think they will work together and find things they can agree on. I think there are plenty of weapon's on offense (assuming they re-sign D. Thomas) that the offense will be just fine. I think Kubiak's success with running the ball will pay dividends for Manning by using him a little bit less and making him more effective on play action.

The big question will be who will run the defense. Kubiak's first two picks at defensive coordinators in Houston were busts: Rick Smith (not the GM), and Frank Bush. Supposedly McNair had a big hand in Kubiak hiring Wade Phillips who finally gave Kubiak a decent defense. He needs to find someone who can handle the defense without him getting much involved.

I think Kubiak eventually failed in Houston for 3 reasons: first, over time, I think his playcalling gets fairly predictable. This is evidenced by all the pick sixes that occurred in his last season and the defenses knowing what was coming. Second, over time, Wade Phillips defenses become fairly predictable. In 2012, the defense was good, but when it came to playing the Patriots, the Patriots moved at will in both games, and the defense had no response. They scored one touchdown when they split out someone wide, and no one covered him. Third, Matt Schaub regressed significantly in lated 2012 and 2013. He became gunshy and threw a lot off his backfoot. He consistented underthrew an open Andre Johnson on deep routes. This killed the Texans quick strike ability.

I think that Denver has enough talent on its roster for Kubiak to be successful. I think he will make the playoffs, I just don't know if he has what it takes as a head coach to get his team to win deep into the playoffs.

A Houston fan's perspective on Kubiak:

I think Manning will play for Kubiak, because Kubiak is smart enough not to make Manning do everything in Kubiak's offense. I think they will work together and find things they can agree on. I think there are plenty of weapon's on offense (assuming they re-sign D. Thomas) that the offense will be just fine. I think Kubiak's success with running the ball will pay dividends for Manning by using him a little bit less and making him more effective on play action.

The big question will be who will run the defense. Kubiak's first two picks at defensive coordinators in Houston were busts: Rick Smith (not the GM), and Frank Bush. Supposedly McNair had a big hand in Kubiak hiring Wade Phillips who finally gave Kubiak a decent defense. He needs to find someone who can handle the defense without him getting much involved.

I think Kubiak eventually failed in Houston for 3 reasons: first, over time, I think his playcalling gets fairly predictable. This is evidenced by all the pick sixes that occurred in his last season and the defenses knowing what was coming. Second, over time, Wade Phillips defenses become fairly predictable. In 2012, the defense was good, but when it came to playing the Patriots, the Patriots moved at will in both games, and the defense had no response. They scored one touchdown when they split out someone wide, and no one covered him. Third, Matt Schaub regressed significantly in lated 2012 and 2013. He became gunshy and threw a lot off his backfoot. He consistented underthrew an open Andre Johnson on deep routes. This killed the Texans quick strike ability.

I think that Denver has enough talent on its roster for Kubiak to be successful. I think he will make the playoffs, I just don't know if he has what it takes as a head coach to get his team to win deep into the playoffs.
I think Wade is a safe hire, and the Broncos should continue to make the playoffs with him there. However, based on the bolded, I don't know how much post-season success the Broncos will have.

Only issue I have with Wade's 3-4 is our depth at LB - it was pretty thin this season and it looks like Travathian is really injury prone. We will have to see what priority Elway puts here in draft and FA's.

Only issue I have with Wade's 3-4 is our depth at LB - it was pretty thin this season and it looks like Travathian is really injury prone. We will have to see what priority Elway puts here in draft and FA's.
good point.

Some interesting things about Wade:

• He was defensive coordinator for Reggie White for Whites 2nd, 3rd, and 4th year. These are the three best years of Whites career, sack wise.
  • He was defensive coordinator for Bruce Smith between '95 and '97, Smiths last three all-pro years. Opposite smith was Bryce Paup, who had his only all-pro year under Wade.
  • He was defensive coordinator for Shawne Merriman his first two years, including Merriman's only all-pro season.
  • He was head coach for Demarcus Ware for Ware's 3rd - 6th year. Ware made his first 3 all-pro teams under Wade.
  • He was defensive coordinator for JJ Watt's first 3 years.
I don't know if it's fair to give credit to Wade for developing these guys, just pointing out it's a pretty impressive list of edge-rushers. Looking forward to seeing what Wade can do with Von.

good point.

Some interesting things about Wade:

• He was defensive coordinator for Reggie White for Whites 2nd, 3rd, and 4th year. These are the three best years of Whites career, sack wise.
  • He was defensive coordinator for Bruce Smith between '95 and '97, Smiths last three all-pro years. Opposite smith was Bryce Paup, who had his only all-pro year under Wade.
  • He was defensive coordinator for Shawne Merriman his first two years, including Merriman's only all-pro season.
  • He was head coach for Demarcus Ware for Ware's 3rd - 6th year. Ware made his first 3 all-pro teams under Wade.
  • He was defensive coordinator for JJ Watt's first 3 years.
I don't know if it's fair to give credit to Wade for developing these guys, just pointing out it's a pretty impressive list of edge-rushers. Looking forward to seeing what Wade can do with Von.
I think he deserve's some credit for developing those guys. I also think he owes some of his success as a DC to the fact that he has an inordinate amount of great pass rushers to work with.

But, yes, Von Miller has to be excited about playing under Wade.

Broncos third-round pick Jeff Heuerman suffers torn ACL Posted by Michael David Smith on May 9, 2015, 8:36 PM EDT

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/09/broncos-third-round-pick-jeff-heuerman-suffers-torn-acl/

Broncos rookie tight end Jeff Heuerman will miss the entire season after tearing his ACL at practice today.

Heuerman, a third-round draft pick, was injured while running down the field on a special teams drill at rookie minicamp. He was carted off the field and diagnosed with a torn ACL.

“I feel terrible for Jeff and this is a very unfortunate situation,” Broncos coach Gary Kubiak said. “Jeff was going to be a big part of our team this year, and he’s still going to be a big part of our team and organization in the future. He’ll get well and be with us as part of this team throughout his rehabilitation.”

The Broncos were hoping Heuerman could make an immediate impact on an offense that lost top tight end Julius Thomas to free agency. Instead, Heuerman will spend his rookie season rehabbing.

official depth chart to be released later today or tomorrow. Here are initial predictions for the OL:

LT: Ty Sambrailo

LG: Max Garcia

C: Matt Paradis

RG: Louis Vasquez

RT: Ryan Harris

3/5 of the line will be making their first start, and only Vasquez returns from last year. We lost Clady to injury, and Franklin to the Chargers. Fortunately, if it does break this way, the first year starters will have beaten out guys with starting experience - Clark started 14 games at LT in 2013, and Gino Gradkowski started 16 games for the Ravens in 2013. Shelley Smith started a handful of games for the Rams. Granted - these three guys aren't very good, but they do have some NFL experience. i'm hoping it means that these three youngsters have earned their role.

I suppose the argument could be made that the OL wasn't very good last year, so it really doesn't hurt much to churn, especially with Clady going down.

Regardless, it's gonna be tough entering the season with such a green left side of the line - off the bat the Broncos will face the #2 (Baltimore), #5 (Chiefs), #8 (Lions) and #9 (Vikings) sack teams from a year ago.

Something to keep an eye open for the Seahawks pre-season game.

Is there a chance Barth won't be the extra-point and field-goal kicker this year?
yes. nobody has any clue what they are doing for STs...just know they don't like who they have.
Thanks. ... A lot of people, including myself until the last week or so, have been drafting Barth like he's the clear-cut starter. Just thought people oughta know.

I couldn't find a 2015 kicking thread, just a 2014 version. Maybe I missed it in my search.

Is there a chance Barth won't be the extra-point and field-goal kicker this year?
yes. nobody has any clue what they are doing for STs...just know they don't like who they have.
Thanks. ... A lot of people, including myself until the last week or so, have been drafting Barth like he's the clear-cut starter. Just thought people oughta know.

I couldn't find a 2015 kicking thread, just a 2014 version. Maybe I missed it in my search.
I'm hoping, and I think the Broncos brass is too, that McManus wins the job outright.

Barth is seriously lacking strength in his kick-offs. You saw that in the Seattle game - any kick that was anywhere near the end zone was a line-drive, giving the coverage team no chance to get down and make a play.

McManus has the leg strength to get the ball high and deep, but lacked accuracy last year. If McManus can get his FG act together and start making kicks consistently (i.e 52 yarder, 44 yarder and a 23 yarder last week), there would be no reason for Barth to eat a roster spot.

McManus hit a 70 yarder in a scrimmage yesterday. Not to be out-done, Barth followed that up with a 65 yarder.

Gonna be an interesting K competition.

I'm hoping, and I think the Broncos brass is too, that McManus wins the job outright.

Barth is seriously lacking strength in his kick-offs. You saw that in the Seattle game - any kick that was anywhere near the end zone was a line-drive, giving the coverage team no chance to get down and make a play.

McManus has the leg strength to get the ball high and deep, but lacked accuracy last year. If McManus can get his FG act together and start making kicks consistently (i.e 52 yarder, 44 yarder and a 23 yarder last week), there would be no reason for Barth to eat a roster spot.
Only thing that might derail the McManus pick is if they find a punter who can kick off deep - release Colquitt and pick up some other punter

Thanks. ... A lot of people, including myself until the last week or so, have been drafting Barth like he's the clear-cut starter. Just thought people oughta know. I couldn't find a 2015 kicking thread, just a 2014 version. Maybe I missed it in my search.
I'm hoping, and I think the Broncos brass is too, that McManus wins the job outright.Barth is seriously lacking strength in his kick-offs. You saw that in the Seattle game - any kick that was anywhere near the end zone was a line-drive, giving the coverage team no chance to get down and make a play.

Only thing that might derail the McManus pick is if they find a punter who can kick off deep - release Colquitt and pick up some other punter
In hindsight they over reacted when they released Prater. One year later they still haven't found a solid replacement.

Thanks. ... A lot of people, including myself until the last week or so, have been drafting Barth like he's the clear-cut starter. Just thought people oughta know. I couldn't find a 2015 kicking thread, just a 2014 version. Maybe I missed it in my search.
I'm hoping, and I think the Broncos brass is too, that McManus wins the job outright.Barth is seriously lacking strength in his kick-offs. You saw that in the Seattle game - any kick that was anywhere near the end zone was a line-drive, giving the coverage team no chance to get down and make a play.

In hindsight they over reacted when they released Prater. One year later they still haven't found a solid replacement.
While true, Prater would have cost $4m against the cap in 2015.

Hooray for John Elway, getting things done again. The most glaring weak-spot was the left side of the OL, where it appeared rookies would be starting @ LT and LG (plus a first year center). Elway went out and got an all-pro caliber LG to shore that up, at a very reasonable $2.5M base salary.

Evan Mathis, welcome to Denver!

The line has some holes, but by having two all-pro caliber guards, there are no consecutive weak spots. From left to right:

Sambrillio ®

Mathis (all-pro)

Paradis ®

Vazquez (all-pro)

Harris (sucks)

weak tackles can be schemed around with TE's and RB's chipping. Mathis and Vazquez will really help Manning avoid pressure up the middle, which is great.

How's Manning looking in camp/preseason? Haven't heard much. Business as usual?
hard to get a read. typical camp stuff - "looks great, arm looks stronger than last year" "blah blah blah". He didn't play in wk1, and in week 2 all of his drives ended with untimely drops and penalties. No matter what people are looking for, they saw in last weeks game.

It will be interesting to see how the Manning offense blends with the Kubiak offense. That's the big question mark. Kubes likes play-action, QB lined up under center, and bootlegs. Manning likes shotgun where he can scan the defense, and he doesn't like to get off of his spot. To me, that's the big question mark.

Denver D looks impressive. Wade Phillips' 3-4 >> Jack del Rio's 4-3.
Pretty much everything all camp and preseason has been about how unstoppable, (and deep), Denver's pass rush is. I think Denver and St. Louis could be on the verge of waging an epic battle for the total sacks lead this year. Going to be fun to watch. (Unless you're a quarterback.)

Well, it appears that the days of Manning-driven high power offense is over. Manning ain't what he used to be. His passes definitely lacked crispness, especially when he didn't have a clean pocket...and when you are starting (essentially) two rookies and four new starters - the pocket ain't gonna be clean very often. It's not a good recipe for success long term if you expect to be a high-powered passing offense.

But, what we saw in that last drive - that was a play style you can win with. 17 plays, 81 yards, 10:56 TOP.

Forget about all of that though...the defense, oh baby that defense. allowed 2-13 on 3rd down. Gave up 73 rushing yards, 100 passing yards, two interceptions, including one for a TD. That's a defense you can win with.

IMO, this defense is shaping up to be the kind that can take you to the superbowl. All Manning has to do is be a care-taker QB, and the team will be fine - provided the OL can gel, that is. Manning isn't the QB he used to be, but I don't think he has to be.

And that was without Wolfe and Ward. Defense will give offense time to gell, especially the o-line. I expect lots of close games this year.

Users who are viewing this thread