What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Are you a Costco member? What do you buy for your household? (1 Viewer)

Usually like to buy our NY Strips at Costco as they are generally better than the local supermarket, in terms of both choice and select grades.

Wife and I decided to celebrate and spurge this one time and get some prime this time instead to see how much of a difference it really made. 

Safe to say there was a HUGE difference. 

We won't continue to splurge that way with a household of meat eaters, including two hangry teenage sons. 

But if we did, it would be worth every penny.
Our local one currently is carrying flank steak at $5.99/lb.  Anywhere else and it runs closer to 10.99/lb.   I use it to make chinese dishes like pepper steak and beef with broccoli.   Fantastic cut of meat for that price.

They've stopped carrying IAMS dog food.  Not real happy.

Also, the Kirkland toilet paper is a good value, but it's possible the rolls are maybe just a little too big.  They don't fit on our rolls until after a few bowel movements.
Check Chewy.com. 

Picked up one of the mega-size Costco chicken pot pies yesterday. I love these things. Only available fall/winter. 

$18 a pop, but feeds my family for days. There must be at least two pounds of chicken in each one. 
When my kids were younger, I wanted the pies to be smaller, or even buying two. Now that they're in HS, I need a bit over 1 for our family. We do get nice leftovers though!

Their Chicken Noodle Soup is great, too!

I'm a big fan of Kirkland vodka.

The Kirkland version of Bailey's is fantastic. 
The Kirkland London Dry Gin is great for cocktails, probably not quite up to snuff for a martini.

The Kirkland champagne is fantastic value, if, like me, you like having a bottle around to split with the wife a few times a year.  Probably not great as a gift due to the Kirkland label stigma, but its a great champagne at a great price.

Kirkland bourbon and scotch?  Not so great. 

The Kirkland London Dry Gin is great for cocktails, probably not quite up to snuff for a martini.

The Kirkland champagne is fantastic value, if, like me, you like having a bottle around to split with the wife a few times a year.  Probably not great as a gift due to the Kirkland label stigma, but its a great champagne at a great price.

Kirkland bourbon and scotch?  Not so great. 
Good to know. Might grab a bottle for some mimosas...

I've been staring down the tres leches cake with caramel topping for about 2 months.  I finally pulled the trigger today.   Someone needs to take this thing away before I eat it all.

With the booze talk, wanted to mention the Kirkland sangria in case no one already has.  It's fantastic and frankly better than when we've made it from scratch.  Better if you add a little brandy and of course some fresh fruit.

I've been staring down the tres leches cake with caramel topping for about 2 months.  I finally pulled the trigger today.   Someone needs to take this thing away before I eat it all.
I've been resisting that and the mini molten cakes for months. I usually buy the Perfect Bars to stave off my sweet tooth - they aren't necessarily healthy, but still pretty delicious.

I've been resisting that and the mini molten cakes for months. I usually buy the Perfect Bars to stave off my sweet tooth - they aren't necessarily healthy, but still pretty delicious.
Those are tasty as well.  My typical sweet tooth go to is just cottage cheese with frozen blueberries (thawed out) and some whipped cream on top, but I caved today and its been glorious.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can only imagine how much money they're losing today - their website has been completely non-functioning for logging in or placing orders all day.

I went to Costco my first time yesterday to buy the Surface Pro bundle. The store is big, the employees are nice, the organization is pretty good, but the customers are ####### insane. The interactions I saw from some of these people was disturbing. I’m not going back and have to cancel that subscription. Insane. 
Costco = suburban Walmart. Just as if not more crazy than Walmart. 

I went to Costco my first time yesterday to buy the Surface Pro bundle. The store is big, the employees are nice, the organization is pretty good, but the customers are ####### insane. The interactions I saw from some of these people was disturbing. I’m not going back and have to cancel that subscription. Insane. 
Costco = suburban Walmart. Just as if not more crazy than Walmart. 
I’ve never seen one odd interaction at a Costco. What are you referring to. 

Could be the area I was in, could be the time of year, but some of the customers were loony and to, “my #### doesn’t stink.” The employees were fine, no issue there. 

I can only imagine how much money they're losing today - their website has been completely non-functioning for logging in or placing orders all day.
Yep. I bought two of the AirPods with wireless case at Amazon for $154. I was waiting for Costco but I’m fine giving my business to Amazon too. Took 5 seconds for my wife and I to order (limit of 1 on Amazon). I still need two so I’m waiting for it to work but damn it’s been non-functional since this morning.

Could be the area I was in, could be the time of year, but some of the customers were loony and to, “my #### doesn’t stink.” The employees were fine, no issue there. 
My experience after a year is that our Costco is filled with a bunch of rude, frowny-faced, grumpy, white people willing to run anyone over with their shopping cart in a heartbeat if it meant they could get to their 3-lb bag of yogurt-dipped trail mix 4 seconds faster. Simply the worse of humanity there, lol. Then, this death recently happened.

The emloyees are always great though.

Not sure what would be odd either. I love Costo. Also, comparing it to Walmart is laughable. I had an odd experience last weekend where I had a laugh with an old lady and her husband where she left her cart in the middle of the aisle and I had to go around. She self-deprecatingly remarked at how rude people can be leaving their cart in the way. It was pretty funny as I was about to joke the same thing to her.

My experience after a year is that our Costco is filled with a bunch of rude, frowny-faced, grumpy, white people willing to run anyone over with their shopping cart in a heartbeat if it meant they could get to their 3-lb bag of yogurt-dipped trail mix 4 seconds faster. Simply the worse of humanity there, lol. Then, this death recently happened.

The emloyees are always great though.
There are people everywhere who are selfish. That’s way more about this iPhone obsessed life where people think the Real Housewives is the way normal people act and not scripted TV. People are in general not as nice, but Costco is the last place I think of in terms of the worst of humanity. If you’re not comfortable around a lot of people, I’d recommend going at night and not on the weekend.

Not sure what would be odd either. I love Costo. Also, comparing it to Walmart is laughable. I had an odd experience last weekend where I had a laugh with an old lady and her husband where she left her cart in the middle of the aisle and I had to go around. She self-deprecatingly remarked at how rude people can be leaving their cart in the way. It was pretty funny as I was about to joke the same thing to her.

There are people everywhere who are selfish. That’s way more about this iPhone obsessed life where people think the Real Housewives is the way normal people act and not scripted TV. People are in general not as nice, but Costco is the last place I think of in terms of the worst of humanity. If you’re not comfortable around a lot of people, I’d recommend going at night and not on the weekend.
We can agree to disagree about Costco: I don't mind.  Also, stop slamming people with your cart, shopping bully. Last, enjoy the holidays.

We can agree to disagree about Costco: I don't mind.  Also, stop slamming people with your cart, shopping bully. Last, enjoy the holidays.
Lol. I actually waited for her and was going to joke about inconsiderate people. She just beat me to it.

I was being serious about nights. I work from home so sometimes I’ll run over at lunch (it’s not super close). My Costco is pretty nice so even on the weekends I don’t worry too much but it’s much easier off hours.

Enjoy what's left as well!

People at Costco are just as, but no more, inconsiderate and oblivious as people in other stores.  The problem is that it is amplified because the carts are larger and there is often less room to maneuver because people are waiting around for their sample of 3 popped kernels of popcorn. 

i like costo like parnera they are both just reliable and make a mean panini and that is the true meaning of christmas take that to the bank brohans 

Everyone is probably turkeyed out by now but went in Costco today and they had their all-natural butterballs on sale for .99/lb and another $15 off of that price. I bought a 15lber and an 18lber for a whopping total of $4.49. How long will these keep in the freezer?

Also, USDA Prime briskets are going for 2.99/lb . Got one to smoke for tomorrow for the Carolina game.
This was on Black Friday last year. Don't know if they are going to be doing it again this year but it's probably a good possibility. Don't think I'm going to make it today. 

1) almost all people suck 

2) Costco is awesome 

3) Walmart blows 
People are super nice at a mall we visit  comprised of mostly Spanish-speaking patrons and shop keepers. Of course, there is nobody there trying to shove 32 lbs of brisket into their Explorer ST (Expedition Max Plats may actually be too much). I can see why customers at Costco are laser-focused to complete such tasks and don't have time for humanism. The $32K-year Walmart customers have a reason to be frustrated with life. The gal that needed help loading the 12-lb tub of low-fat gravy doesn't, lol.

Full disclosure: I don't speak Spanish so there is a good chance that everyone at that mall is smiling at me and calling me a butt wipe under their breath. Also, no one has died in that mall's parking lot that I know of. When one does, I'll circle back to this thread and defend us Costco warriors. 

is it bad use of money if I renew my $100-something membership each year just to enjoy a $5.99 pumpkin pie each year? 

This was on Black Friday last year. Don't know if they are going to be doing it again this year but it's probably a good possibility. Don't think I'm going to make it today. 
Didn't have any turkeys at mine.  Ham was on discount, but I'm not that huge a fan of huge hams. 

Bought 12 lbs of frozen shrimp, a brisket, and a 5.99 pumpkin pie today.  Also bought my 5 and 7 year olds a 3 piece puma outfit (vest, long sleeve, and pants)...and a couple xmas puzzles and salted chocolate caramel things.

Yep. I bought two of the AirPods with wireless case at Amazon for $154. I was waiting for Costco but I’m fine giving my business to Amazon too. Took 5 seconds for my wife and I to order (limit of 1 on Amazon). I still need two so I’m waiting for it to work but damn it’s been non-functional since this morning.
They extended yesterday’s deals into today and their web site worked finally afte not working all day yesterday. 

This is why we can't have nice things.    Tonight I come to find out that thanks to all the a-holes out there that like to return their christmas trees, costco is not doing christmas trees this year.  Now I have to go get a crappier tree at a higher price at home depot.   

I'd give it another chance post-holidays. I bet you could have walked into just about any big store this time of the year and had problems. I haven't had many issues with people being obnoxious at my Costco (NoVA). Also try non-busy times and things are infinitely better.

Also all the talk of the good liquor sold by Costco makes me upset that VA only allows the sale of Beer and Wine by non-state vendors, you have to buy your liquor from a state store.

This is why we can't have nice things.    Tonight I come to find out that thanks to all the a-holes out there that like to return their christmas trees, costco is not doing christmas trees this year.  Now I have to go get a crappier tree at a higher price at home depot.   
That's odd, mine is still selling them.

Who the hell returns a Christmas tree?  And why would you LET someone return a Christmas tree?

(I'm assuming you're talking real trees here)

Who the hell returns a Christmas tree?  And why would you LET someone return a Christmas tree?

(I'm assuming you're talking real trees here)
Really bad people.  I guess you missed that viral picture from last Jan with some lady returning a completely dead tree.   There are just some terrible people in this world that just screw things up for the rest of us.

Really bad people.  I guess you missed that viral picture from last Jan with some lady returning a completely dead tree.   There are just some terrible people in this world that just screw things up for the rest of us.
I'd walk behind her for a week ringing a shame bell everywhere she went. But if they take that back, that's on them.

Our Costco just added gas pumps. Price wasn't that much cheaper; only about .12 cheaper than the regular gas stations yet it was packed. Not worth sitting in a long line to save a buck or two :shrug:  

Our Costco just added gas pumps. Price wasn't that much cheaper; only about .12 cheaper than the regular gas stations yet it was packed. Not worth sitting in a long line to save a buck or two :shrug:  
I fill up at Costco on my way into work in the early morning (about 7:30).  Never a wait early morning if it's on your way.

I fill up at Costco on my way into work in the early morning (about 7:30).  Never a wait early morning if it's on your way.
It's 45 cents cheaper around here.  Worth it, but I agree, very early in the morning or close to when they close is the best time to go.  I usually gas everyone in the family up on Sunday mornings - just me and a bunch of other old farts.  Takes 3 trips, but what else am I going to do.

Plus we only have one credit card (Costco Visa) and put everything on it.  Get 4 cents back per gallon of gas.

I guess it depends which station you're comparing it to.  That sounds about right for a no name brand although I heard that costco gas is significantly better than what they get but I have no idea if that's really true or what difference it even makes.  The station opens an hour before the store and closes an hour after.  Those are the magic hours (Reign of Fire reference).

Our gas is usually cheaper. Unfortunately it's out of the way to use regularly.

But my favorite thing is watching all the people line up based where their fuel door is located, when there are signs that say to use any lane.

Our Costco has the longer retractable hoses.

So there are 5 cars deep for the driver side fuel door and no one for the other lanes.

Zippy in and out

Users who are viewing this thread