What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jeremy Hill will be the #1 fantasy RB this year (1 Viewer)

Won't catch enough passes to beat out Bell, Lacy and Charles. But other than those 3 I'd take him in a heartbeat.

offense will be too inconsistent to support the TD total required to be the #1 RB

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't care if he finishes #1 overall...but think he'll be a RB1 that I can grab for nice value in my drafts.

I'd call him about 60/40 to be the best FF RB on the Bengals. :shrug:
I'd call it about 90/10. Hill is a better inside runner, outside runner, pass blocker and arguably has better hands than Bernard. The only thing Bernard has over Hill is route running.

Hill finishing #1 will likely require a big step forward from the Bengals offense, it isn't crazy though. I don't think it is all that different than someone saying Le'Veon Bell would be #1 a year ago.

Says the guy who hopes to snag Arian Foster at bottom of round 1. Please lock this thread. It's a curse to all Jeremy Hill owners.

I don't think it is all that different than someone saying Le'Veon Bell would be #1 a year ago.
Bell was/is in a real offense.
Dalton threw for 33 TDs just two seasons ago. Last season the Bengals lost AJ Green for multiple games and Eifert and Marvin Jones for practically the whole season.
Right, but their OC then was a pass-happy one; their OC now loves to run the ball. Green being healthy should get Daltons' TD total back in the 20s, but I'd be shocked if he hit 30 this year.

I don't think it is all that different than someone saying Le'Veon Bell would be #1 a year ago.
Dalton threw for 33 TDs just two seasons ago. Last season the Bengals lost AJ Green for multiple games and Eifert and Marvin Jones for practically the whole season.
Right, but their OC then was a pass-happy one; their OC now loves to run the ball. Green being healthy should get Daltons' TD total back in the 20s, but I'd be shocked if he hit 30 this year.
An OC that wants to run the ball is a good thing for Hill.

An OC that wants to run the ball is a good thing for Hill.
Agreed.

Guys I would take before him in ppr

ADP

Bell

Lacy

Charles

McCoy

Murray

Forsett

Gore

Lynch

Forte

Why draft him in the 3rd when you can get Spiller in the 6th.

He's on a short list but I wouldn't take him over Lacy, Charles, Bell, Forsett, and ADP. He's got great draft value, which is more important to me. I snagged Forsett and Hill in back to back rounds the other day and was very pleased. It wouldn't shock me if he finished #1, just think in PPR others are more likely.

In PPR he won't be #1.
What he said.
Obviously anyone who says this is much more likely to be correct than the OP...you're essentially taking the field. Not exactly going out on a limb there.
Going out on a limb isn't synonymous with saying something good. Why award bonus credit for saying something less likely to be correct?
Because at least it generates worthwhile conversation. You could go into any prediction thread here and just say "eh, probably not" with no reasoning and end up correct more often than not. Because taking the field is always a safer play.

I'd call it about 90/10. Hill is a better inside runner, outside runner, pass blocker and arguably has better hands than Bernard. The only thing Bernard has over Hill is route running.

I understand the need to pimp up your jewel. I would be doing the same if I loved the guy so much.

But how do you figure Hill is a better outside runner, better pass blocker and - arguably - has better hands than Bernard? Watching the last 3-4 games of 2014, when both were healthy, it doesn't look like the Bengals coaching staff agrees with you. The statements from last week tend to back that up further.

I would say about even split on the outside running where Bernard wins on speed, but Hill wins on power. A good FB and WR blocking would probably bump up Bernard a lot more than Hill and, conversely, bad FB/WR blocking would ground him.

The pass blocking statement - what is that based on? Because based on my own eyes, Bernard certainly looks like the more adept blocker against the aggressive pass rush. That's probably a function of having an extra year of NFL experience and a lot more exposure to blocking in college. Hill is an okay blocker, definitely not bad, makes the most of his size as an obstacle and holds well against contained rushes on typical running downs.

Better hands? I guess you are referring to Hill's catch % towards the end of last year. Wouldn't argue with that - I find getting above 80% is superb from a guy with 20-30 receptions in college total. But better hands based on that? The overall target count speaks for itself.

Not a knock on Hill, btw - I fully expect him to crack the RB1 ranks and would gladly acquire him in dynasty. Just pointing out that - at this stage - such grand statements like the bolded are much more wishful thinking than reality.

Crack the RB1 ranks? Hill was a RB1 last year. He finished 10.

Yes, he's better than Bernard in just about every facet. It was obvious early in the season. It became more obvious as the season rolled on. Bernard has the edge as a receiver, but that's it.

I'm guessing more of the same. THe list people have compiled above is what seems right. THe Bells, Lacy,Charles, and a few of those guys will have major opportunities and the one thing that they don't have to contend with is a teammate as talented as Gio to take any of that production away.

Peterson, I think, is going to be on a mission of the ages this year. I think he's actually the guy that might be #1 by a good margin.

Yes, he's better than Bernard in just about every facet. It was obvious early in the season. It became more obvious as the season rolled on. Bernard has the edge as a receiver, but that's it.
And that's enough to keep Hill out of that top spot. As productive and good as Hill is, to be the top RB in any comprehensive ff league, you have to be getting the meaningful passing game plays, too. Bell wouldn't have been dominant without all those catches last year. In recent years, same for Foster and Charles and McCoy.

And it's not just the ppr points you get for the catch, it's those 300 extra yards and 3-4 TDs that come with it. That is what separates the elite.

And that's enough to keep Hill out of that top spot. As productive and good as Hill is, to be the top RB in any comprehensive ff league, you have to be getting the meaningful passing game plays, too. Bell wouldn't have been dominant without all those catches last year. In recent years, same for Foster and Charles and McCoy. And it's not just the ppr points you get for the catch, it's those 300 extra yards and 3-4 TDs that come with it. That is what separates the elite.
This is odd for someone who just said Peterson might do it.... He is just as receiving limited as Hill, maybe more so. It certainly helps to be involved in the passing game,minute it's not nessecary.

I'm responding to the quote that Bell was in a real offense (which implies Cinncy is not one). Cinncy offense has a ton of weapons in the passing game to keep a defense honest and like you said an OC committed to the run.

And that's enough to keep Hill out of that top spot. As productive and good as Hill is, to be the top RB in any comprehensive ff league, you have to be getting the meaningful passing game plays, too. Bell wouldn't have been dominant without all those catches last year. In recent years, same for Foster and Charles and McCoy. And it's not just the ppr points you get for the catch, it's those 300 extra yards and 3-4 TDs that come with it. That is what separates the elite.
This is odd for someone who just said Peterson might do it.... He is just as receiving limited as Hill, maybe more so.It certainly helps to be involved in the passing game,minute it's not nessecary.
The difference is Adrian Peterson's talent is well-established and he has the biggest chip on his shoulder that ever was. There are already many news tidbits coming out that Peterson is itching very badly to remind the world of what he is. There are also reports coming out that the Vikes have said they will give him more receiving opportunities.

It's not scientific, but in a simple way of saying it, I will just say I have learned not to bet against a motivated Adrian Peterson. I expect him to tear it up this year.

I'm responding to the quote that Bell was in a real offense (which implies Cinncy is not one). Cinncy offense has a ton of weapons in the passing game to keep a defense honest and like you said an OC committed to the run.
Bell is Hill and Gio combined, though. :shrug: All those touches that put Gio on a PPG basis right in the same neighborhood as Hill, even after Hill emerged, were going to go to Bell. That ain't happening in Cinci. In fact, unless Gio gets hurt again, Hill will lose some of them simply due to a healthier timeshare mate.

Bell is Hill and Gio combined, though. :shrug: All those touches that put Gio on a PPG basis right in the same neighborhood as Hill, even after Hill emerged, were going to go to Bell. That ain't happening in Cinci. In fact, unless Gio gets hurt again, Hill will lose some of them simply due to a healthier timeshare mate.
For the record I don't project Hill as the No. 1 running back. I was simply responding to the chain that I did and Bell did kind of come out of nowhere to a large extent in 2014.

I guess the flip side to what I'm saying is, if somebody wanted to tell me, out of the blue, that Justin Forsett will be the #1 RB this year, I'd say, "Yeah, I can see how that's possible."

:shrug:

Big believer in Hill but his lack of receptions combined with their schedule this year, I just don't see him finishing at the top.

Have ya watched the Steelers defense? Do you think Green Bay would even care to think about limiting fan favorite Rodgers? Hill could be the real deal this Season.. If ya wanna post negative? lets hear sumpin w meat on the bone

In PPR he won't be #1.
What he said.
Obviously anyone who says this is much more likely to be correct than the OP...you're essentially taking the field. Not exactly going out on a limb there.
Going out on a limb isn't synonymous with saying something good. Why award bonus credit for saying something less likely to be correct?
Because at least it generates worthwhile conversation. You could go into any prediction thread here and just say "eh, probably not" with no reasoning and end up correct more often than not. Because taking the field is always a safer play.
The thing is, the OP did not present it as a "bold prediction" or going out on a limb. He just made a statement and asked "why not" without offering any reasoning of his own to support it. So the thread is ultimately generating worthwhile discussion but it's entirely fair to respond by saying "in PPR he won't be #1."

An argument can be made that Hill was the best RB in football over the last 9 games of 2014 so predicting great things for him this year is to be expected. And in standard formats I think projecting him as the #1RB is not outlandish. But I don't consider him in that tier at this point, especially in PPR.

Someone said it wasn't all that different than saying L. Bell would be RB1 prior to last season. But it very clearly is. Bell had no competition for touches other than Blount, who was ultimately released by the team, after which Bell scored 8 of his 11 total TDs last year. And even with Blount on the roster Bell was the clear #1, and really the only, receiving option out of the backfield in Pitt last year.

Hill certainly demonstrated skills in the pass game but he still has to contend with Bernard who, while battling injuries and missing 3 games last year, still put up over 1,000 total yards and 7 TDs. While Hill is the lead and better overall RB, Bernard clearly will have a substantial role in this offense. Barring a long term injury to Bernard I don't think Hill gets the touches to be the #1 RB in FF this year in standard or PPR. And in PPR Hill drops out of the elite tier for me.

ETA- As someone else mentioned above, the Bengals also have what going into the season looks like one of the more difficult schedules against the run this year.

Guys I would take before him in ppr

ADP

Bell

Lacy

Charles

McCoy

Murray

Forsett

Gore

Lynch

Forte

Why draft him in the 3rd when you can get Spiller in the 6th.
I'd definitely take Hill before Gore in redraft ppr. I'd probably call Hill and Demarco pretty much a wash--and I would personally take Hill over Forsett. Dalton is not a trustworthy qb--and I think the coaches will rely more on the running game than Daltons arm. I think Hill could be primed for a big season (barring injury)--and Gio could be one of the best handcuffs in the game (to the point where he's probably a solid flex option in ppr leagues).

ADP W-O

Bell

Lacy

Charles W-O

McCoy New Regime

Murray W-O (Temp overuse)

Forsett

Gore W-O

Lynch Risk of being rested

Forte W-O

Barring the potential for Wheels falling off, that's a big list.. But personally I only see three other RB's in the discussion.

Hill worked to earn it.. Now Id like to see Hill prove his Coachs made the right call..

Users who are viewing this thread